• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football Rules Changes - 2019

Started by football_referee, February 11, 2019, 04:38:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

football_referee

BY STATE ASSOCIATION ADOPTION, USE OF VIDEO REVIEW ALLOWED FOR STATE POST-SEASON CONTESTS [1-3-7 NOTE (NEW), TABLE 1-7 – 1-3-7 NOTE (NEW)]
Rationale: By state association adoption, instant replay may only be used during state postseason contests to review decisions by the on-field game officials. This adoption would allow state associations to develop protocols for use of video replay.

IMPROVED VISIBILITY OF NUMBERS [1-5-1c, 1-5-1c(6) (NEW)]
Rationale: The purpose of numbers on jerseys is to provide clear identification of players. In order to enhance the ability to easily identify players, the committee has clarified the size requirements for jersey numbers through the 2023 season. The committee also added a new requirement that, effective in the 2024 season, jersey numbers must be a single solid color that clearly contrasts with the body color of the jersey.

REDEFINED REQUIREMENTS FOR A LEGAL SCRIMMAGE FORMATION [2-14-1, 7-2-5a]
Rationale: A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage with no more than four backs. This change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations.

PROHIBITION ON TRIPPING THE RUNNER [2-45, 9-4-3o (NEW), 9-4-3o PENALTY (NEW)]
Rationale: In an effort to decrease risk, tripping the runner is now prohibited. It is now a foul to intentionally use the lower leg or foot to obstruct a runner below the knees.

40-SECOND PLAY CLOCK [2-35-1, 3-6-1, 3-6-2a, 7-2-1]
Rationale: To have a more consistent time period between downs, the rules committee approved situations where 40 seconds will be placed on the play clock. The new rule defines when 40 seconds will be placed on the play clock and when 25 seconds will be placed on the play clock.

HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE ADDITION [9-4-3k]
Rationale: Grabbing the name plate area of the jersey of the runner, directly below the back collar, and pulling the runner to the ground is now an illegal personal contact foul.

ILLEGAL KICKING AND BATTING PENALTY REDUCED [9-7 PENALTY]
Rationale: The penalty for illegally kicking or batting the ball was reduced from 15 yards to 10 yards.

2019 EDITORIAL CHANGES
2-6-2d, 5-2-2, 5-2-4, 6-5-4, 7-2-5a, 8-5-2 EXCEPTION, 9-3-8 PENALTY, 10-4-2c EXCEPTION, 10-5-1j,

2019 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1.Proper Procedures for Weather Delays
2.Expanded Neutral Zone as it Applies to Run or Pass Options
3.Free-Blocking Zone and Legal Blocking

Jimbo Morphis

Did the 40 second clock pass and does that do away with the 25 second clock?

arreferee

Quote from: Oldman on June 05, 2019, 12:35:34 pm
Did the 40 second clock pass and does that do away with the 25 second clock?

Yes, it passed.  It does not do away with the 25 second clock though.  I haven't seen the actual language of the new rule, but assuming it is like the NCAA rule, sometimes the 40 second clock will be used and sometimes the 25 second clock will be used...based on the situation.

There is some good information on this rule change here:

http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14434.0

Jimbo Morphis

Jack1990

When will these changes go into effect?

arreferee

Quote from: Jack1990 on June 17, 2019, 08:25:07 am
When will these changes go into effect?

They will go into effect in the 2019 season this fall.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: arreferee on June 05, 2019, 04:16:15 pm
Yes, it passed.  It does not do away with the 25 second clock though.  I haven't seen the actual language of the new rule, but assuming it is like the NCAA rule, sometimes the 40 second clock will be used and sometimes the 25 second clock will be used...based on the situation.

There is some good information on this rule change here:

http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=14434.0

Wow, this will make the play clock operator's job much harder. Most scoreboard's play clocks automatically reset to 25 with the push of a button, I have no idea how they will manage 40/25. I assume they will reprogram it 40 and then manually change it to 25 when needed? I can see some confusion with this...

arreferee

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on August 13, 2019, 01:06:07 pm
Wow, this will make the play clock operator's job much harder. Most scoreboard's play clocks automatically reset to 25 with the push of a button, I have no idea how they will manage 40/25. I assume they will reprogram it 40 and then manually change it to 25 when needed? I can see some confusion with this...

I'm sure there will be a learning curve on this.  My assumption is that the clocks have been reprogrammed to allow for 40 seconds.  Things like this are one reason some states pay an official to go and run the clock at high school games. 

Jack1990

From what I received from Nevco in regards to our controller, we had to get it reprogrammed and purchase a different switch. Total cost for the reprogram and switch was about $175 or purchase a new controller for $1,250. Ours was needing replaced anyway so we purchased a new one.

In reading the rule change it seems pretty straight forward. Most plays will be a 40 second reset unless there is a clock stoppage. This will result in a 25 second reset. Learning curve shouldn't be that bad as long as everyone is paying attention.

POWERCAT PRIDE

Quote from: Jack1990 on August 15, 2019, 10:24:03 pm
From what I received from Nevco in regards to our controller, we had to get it reprogrammed and purchase a different switch. Total cost for the reprogram and switch was about $175 or purchase a new controller for $1,250. Ours was needing replaced anyway so we purchased a new one.

In reading the rule change it seems pretty straight forward. Most plays will be a 40 second reset unless there is a clock stoppage. This will result in a 25 second reset. Learning curve shouldn't be that bad as long as everyone is paying attention.

Is it a one-handed operation? Most clock operators are usually multi-tasking...meaning eating pizza while operating the clock. :) (I know, I used to operate the scoreboard for my son's high school baseball team)

football_referee

We are asking for 2 Clock operators in the Booth 1.for the game clock and 1 for the play clock.

40/25 Play clock instructions for the Play Clock Operator

The play clock will be set to 25s when the situations below occur or upon signal from the Referee (one hand "pump" above the head):

-   Penalty administration
-   After any down that involves a score
-   After any down that involves a legal kickoff, punt, or field goal
-   Team B (defense) awarded a first down
-   Team timeout
-   Start of each quarter
-   After a down involving an inadvertent whistle
-   Helmet off
-   Media/Officials timeout
-   Measurement
-   Injury timeout
-   Start of a new series in overtime
-   An untimed down
-   Other administrative stoppage

The play clock will automatically be reset to 40s at the end of each scrimmage play. The covering official's signal will designate when to start the play clock:

When the ball is declared dead in the field of play on a play from scrimmage: Play clock starts when the covering official raises his arm or gives a "winding signal" if near the sideline.

Incomplete pass: Play clock starts when the covering official signals incomplete pass.

Ball dead out of bounds: Play clock starts when the covering official signals to stop the game clock.

Special situations:

On a delay of game penalty, keep the play clock at :00 until the penalty is completed.

If the play clocks are not synchronized, or if one fails, both clocks will be turned off and the play clock will be kept on the field by the back judge.
Be alert for the signal from the Referee (a pumping motion with one hand up and down near his head), if you notice any type of delay while the play clock is running, especially after it gets under 25s. Under no circumstances should the play clock be reset to 25s upon a signal from any other official than the Referee.

Please turn the game clock horn to OFF. Football timing is not like basketball and play continues even if the ball is live when the clock gets to 0:00. There should be no horns sounded in a football game; it is the officials' responsibility to determine when the game clock has expired.

In every game, the clocks should be operated by two people. There should be a game clock operator and a separate play clock operator. Since we now have the 40/25 play clock rules, we will not have accurate clock-keeping if one person tries to run both clocks.

Jack1990

We operate with two people. One on play clock and scoreboard, and one on the game clock. And yes, it does appear to be one handed operation. The switch goes one way for 40 and the other for 25.

Jack1990

And thanks for the breakdown On what plays result with which play clock. Makes it way easier than having to study the rules and make our own cheat sheet. Lol

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jack1990 on August 16, 2019, 06:40:50 pm
And thanks for the breakdown On what plays result with which play clock. Makes it way easier than having to study the rules and make our own cheat sheet. Lol
I've demanded a raise

Jack1990

arreferee

Jack1990

Quote from: arreferee on August 22, 2019, 08:40:03 am
2 hamburgers instead of one?
Not even close!  It's simple math really...2x$0=0

arreferee

Quote from: Jack1990 on August 22, 2019, 10:10:20 am

Really?  I know most clock operators probable don't get paid, but the schools should at least give you something to eat and drink.

Jack1990

Quote from: arreferee on August 22, 2019, 01:13:50 pm
Really?  I know most clock operators probable don't get paid, but the schools should at least give you something to eat and drink.
Oh no...we get fed well. A local restaurant always provides a buffet for the press box.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jack1990 on August 22, 2019, 10:10:20 am
Collusion, we need a union.

CoolBreeze

LH_DAD

Quote from: football_referee on February 11, 2019, 04:38:22 pm
BY STATE ASSOCIATION ADOPTION, USE OF VIDEO REVIEW ALLOWED FOR STATE POST-SEASON CONTESTS [1-3-7 NOTE (NEW), TABLE 1-7 – 1-3-7 NOTE (NEW)]
Rationale: By state association adoption, instant replay may only be used during state postseason contests to review decisions by the on-field game officials. This adoption would allow state associations to develop protocols for use of video replay.

IMPROVED VISIBILITY OF NUMBERS [1-5-1c, 1-5-1c(6) (NEW)]
Rationale: The purpose of numbers on jerseys is to provide clear identification of players. In order to enhance the ability to easily identify players, the committee has clarified the size requirements for jersey numbers through the 2023 season. The committee also added a new requirement that, effective in the 2024 season, jersey numbers must be a single solid color that clearly contrasts with the body color of the jersey.

REDEFINED REQUIREMENTS FOR A LEGAL SCRIMMAGE FORMATION [2-14-1, 7-2-5a]
Rationale: A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage with no more than four backs. This change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations.

PROHIBITION ON TRIPPING THE RUNNER [2-45, 9-4-3o (NEW), 9-4-3o PENALTY (NEW)]
Rationale: In an effort to decrease risk, tripping the runner is now prohibited. It is now a foul to intentionally use the lower leg or foot to obstruct a runner below the knees.

40-SECOND PLAY CLOCK [2-35-1, 3-6-1, 3-6-2a, 7-2-1]
Rationale: To have a more consistent time period between downs, the rules committee approved situations where 40 seconds will be placed on the play clock. The new rule defines when 40 seconds will be placed on the play clock and when 25 seconds will be placed on the play clock.

HORSE-COLLAR TACKLE ADDITION [9-4-3k]
Rationale: Grabbing the name plate area of the jersey of the runner, directly below the back collar, and pulling the runner to the ground is now an illegal personal contact foul.

ILLEGAL KICKING AND BATTING PENALTY REDUCED [9-7 PENALTY]
Rationale: The penalty for illegally kicking or batting the ball was reduced from 15 yards to 10 yards.

2019 EDITORIAL CHANGES
2-6-2d, 5-2-2, 5-2-4, 6-5-4, 7-2-5a, 8-5-2 EXCEPTION, 9-3-8 PENALTY, 10-4-2c EXCEPTION, 10-5-1j,

2019 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1.Proper Procedures for Weather Delays
2.Expanded Neutral Zone as it Applies to Run or Pass Options
3.Free-Blocking Zone and Legal Blocking
So, is video review going to be used in the playoffs this year?

football_referee

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas