• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Signing Day

Started by AirWarren, February 01, 2012, 05:52:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Big day folks. Time to bring in more ammunition to the BP machine. WPS!

Romeo

Arkansas picked up a huge commitment from Otha Peters, 6-1 220 LB out of Louisiana. He is a four star player, ranked number six inside linebacker in the country, and was previously committed to Tennessee.

21 are expected to sign LOI today and several others will announce where their going including DGB. We can only sign 4 more players.

Romeo

Seven players have signed with Arkansas this morning so far.

AirWarren

Romeo

Current signees:
Will Hines CB 6-1 175 Waco, TX
Jared Collins CB 6-0 170 Tulsa, Ok
AJ Turner LB 6-2 205 Lepanto, AR
D'Artuhr Cowan WR 6-3 175 Olive Branch, MS
Keon Hatcher WR 6-2 205 Owasso, OK
Jeremy Ward OL 6-4 290 Pottsville, AR
Ray Buchanan CB 5-11 178 Suwanee, GA
Brandon Lewis DE 6-5 225 Memphis, TN
Cordale Boyd OL 6-4 300 Memphis, TN
Deatrich Wise DE 6-5 235 Carrollton, TX
Eric Hawkins WR 5-11 172 Longview, TX
Taiwan Johnson DE 6-3 240 Manvel, TX
Jonathan Williams RB 5-11 205 Allen, TX

HORNET FAN

Chris Humes 3 star recruit flips from Arkansas to ASU

the green moose

Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2012, 06:38:57 am
Arkansas picked up a huge commitment from Otha Peters, 6-1 220 LB out of Louisiana. He is a four star player, ranked number six inside linebacker in the country, and was previously committed to Tennessee.

21 are expected to sign LOI today and several others will announce where their going including DGB. We can only sign 4 more players.
According to ESPN Otha is a 3 star recruit

zebradynasty

InYoGrill

Quote from: the green moose on February 01, 2012, 09:47:05 am
Quote from: Romeo on February 01, 2012, 06:38:57 am

According to ESPN Otha is a 3 star recruit

Rivals 4 star.

HORNET FAN

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 01, 2012, 10:02:55 am
Who is Chris Humes ???

3 star Cornerback from
Birmingham, AL

He decommited this morning. Gus swayed him to ASU. I hope that doesn't hurt us to bad. We are needing players in that position.

hb14lh

Top JUCO WR Courtney Gardner decommits and signs with Oklahoma. SMH.

Romeo

22 commitments have now signed. We have a few more on radar that could sign either today or this week.

Gardner was already a no go due to grades. The SEC rule on JUCO players having college algebra has hamstring Arkansas with getting a few recruits the last few years.

Apparently Garrick Mcgee going to UAB was a big factor in not landing DGB, mainly because of the relationship he had already established with the family before he left.

Mulerider

Arkansas and Vanderbilt also used to be the lone SEC schools that did not accept a "D" grade for transfers.  It used to kill them with some basketball guys.  I remember Nolan Richardson always complaining about it.

Is this still the standard at the U of A?

zebradynasty

Hornet, Arkansas never had a verbal commitment from anyone named Chris Humes are you sure you got the right name? Unless he committed and decomitted today, I have not seen that name listed as a verbal commitment this recruiting season.

Romeo

Quote from: Mulerider on February 01, 2012, 01:39:08 pm
Arkansas and Vanderbilt also used to be the lone SEC schools that did not accept a "D" grade for transfers.  It used to kill them with some basketball guys.  I remember Nolan Richardson always complaining about it.

Is this still the standard at the U of A?

Not sure if that's still the standard at UA.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 01, 2012, 01:56:59 pm
Hornet, Arkansas never had a verbal commitment from anyone named Chris Humes are you sure you got the right name? Unless he committed and decomitted today, I have not seen that name listed as a verbal commitment this recruiting season.
I was thinking the same thing. Could be wrong but I have not saw that name.

zebradynasty

Something must have happen soon after he committed. He had offers from SEC schools and then switched to ASU ??? His name was not listed this morining in the Arkansas DG. I don't recall seeing it on any list this month but I guess I missed it.

Ex-HAplayer

I am questioning wether he truly had an offer on the table from Arkansas...or at least that is what I am hearing from Bham...Arkansas didn't get him a scholarship or it was contingent on something...hmmm rumors. Nevertheless, good pick up Gus.

HORNET FAN

I am wondering what happen to have several offers from SEC Schools and go to ASU. However, since he didn't go to Arkansas I am glad he is a red wolf.

AirWarren

Jalen Cobb did sign his letter of intent to Coffeville Community college in Kansas. Let's hope he get's it together and puts on that razorback red soon.

DB

Quote from: AW on February 01, 2012, 11:41:00 pm
Jalen Cobb did sign his letter of intent to Coffeville Community college in Kansas. Let's hope he get's it together and puts on that razorback red soon.

You know, I almost wish that the NCAA/SEC would allow kids with grade problems the opportunity to enroll in the D-1 school and sit out of football.  I think the kid would have a lot more resources available to him to get off on the right foot and get focused on his education. 

sevenof400

Quote from: DB on February 02, 2012, 12:18:53 pm

You know, I almost wish that the NCAA/SEC would allow kids with grade problems the opportunity to enroll in the D-1 school and sit out of football.  I think the kid would have a lot more resources available to him to get off on the right foot and get focused on his education.

Aren't you essentially describing freshman ineligibility DB?  I think that would be an excellent idea for all sports (I'd like to see that brought back on the college scene).  It would stop the one and dones that happen so much in basketball and would provide some time for students to become acclimated to college. It also might serve as a wake up call to the NFL and NBA that they need to develop meaningful alternatives to college FB and BB so that athletes who have no academic interest in college have access to an environment which will help them as athletes.

Busman

Great time at Signing Day at the Rock last night in Verizon.  Over 1200 people showed up to see video clips of all the signees.  Looked like they really went after speed and length. Petrino certainly emphasized defense in this year's class.

Romeo

Well the last target Jordan Diamond announced tonight that he's going to Auburn. With that, the university basically wasted maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars for nothing. We had ten recruits visit the Michigan week and not a single one signed with Arkansas.

sevenof400

Quote from: Romeo on February 03, 2012, 09:24:44 pm
... With that, the university basically wasted maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars for nothing. We had ten recruits visit the Michigan week and not a single one signed with Arkansas.

That's a big ouch.

On the other hand, if any school can afford it, it's Arkansas.  They seem to have a rather considerable war chest of cash at the disposal of the athletic department. 

The only down side to this is watch for another ticket increase.....

Ridge Rat

Ya see where the new football operations facility was gonna go $5 million over estimate? The article said it was not likely to raise ticket prices. Hmmm. Dunno that I believe that one.

fastdrop

Quote from: Busman on February 03, 2012, 08:38:10 am
Great time at Signing Day at the Rock last night in Verizon.  Over 1200 people showed up to see video clips of all the signees.  Looked like they really went after speed and length. Petrino certainly emphasized defense in this year's class.
Wow - people sit around and watch video clips of all the signees.....

I guess what ever floats your boat.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Romeo on February 03, 2012, 09:24:44 pm
Well the last target Jordan Diamond announced tonight that he's going to Auburn. With that, the university basically wasted maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars for nothing. We had ten recruits visit the Michigan week and not a single one signed with Arkansas.

Not saying this is a poor class but in all honesty I am sure BP is disappointed. Maybe another 10 win plus season will get recruits outside of the state to believe they actually have chance to be successful at Arkansas!

Hoghead

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2012, 12:57:42 pm
Quote from: DB on February 02, 2012, 12:18:53 pm

Aren't you essentially describing freshman ineligibility DB?  I think that would be an excellent idea for all sports (I'd like to see that brought back on the college scene).  It would stop the one and dones that happen so much in basketball and would provide some time for students to become acclimated to college. It also might serve as a wake up call to the NFL and NBA that they need to develop meaningful alternatives to college FB and BB so that athletes who have no academic interest in college have access to an environment which will help them as athletes.
If the NFL opens up a minor leauge for players vice the colleges, Ouachita vs Arkansas will be a normal game. Your best players will have no need to play college ball. That goes for the NBA as well.

Busman

Fastdrop -

I don't know about the other 1,199, but since I was 4 years-old I've spent lot's of time sitting around watching clips of football.  That's the curse of having a Dad as a head coach. 

I didn't know there were cartoons on Saturday morning in Sept, Oct and Nov when I was growing up.  I though every kid went tothe bus station at 6:00 on Saturday morning to pick up the game film processed by Ray-Chris Productions in Little Rock, went home, put a white sheet on the living room wall, and watched black and white films of Friday night's game over and over and over and over, then on Monday watched films of the upcoming opponent's previous games.

Hoghead

Quote from: fastdrop on February 04, 2012, 09:14:23 am

Between 1969 and 1977 I watched every Frank Broyles Show ever produced. I thhought the whole State watched Hog highlights. Watching these kids video clips sounded exciting to me.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hoghead on February 07, 2012, 02:51:29 am

Between 1969 and 1977 I watched every Frank Broyles Show ever produced. I thhought the whole State watched Hog highlights. Watching these kids video clips sounded exciting to me.

Me too. But this guy finds a way to downgrade anything Razorback these days.

sevenof400

Coaches show back in the day were a far different thing than they are today.  In many cases, a coaches show was your only source of video from the game because most games were NOT televised.  Those of us who grew up in that time are also likely to remember another very essential highlights show - This Week in the NFL with Tom Brookshire and Pat Summerall.

Busman

Recall the old UA schedules that Bud Campbell would fill in the scores with a black marker?  Those were in the Old Brownings Restaurant on Kavanaugh (in Little Rock) for years.  Don't think the new owners used them in the decor.

Hoghead

I remember Frank saying in his Georgia twang "This is Michael Forrest, a BIG Fullback from Earle, Arkansas !"  LOL !!!

fastdrop

Quote from: AW on February 07, 2012, 10:10:38 pm
Quote from: Hoghead on February 07, 2012, 02:51:29 am

Me too. But this guy finds a way to downgrade anything Razorback these days.
Had nothing to do with downgrading the Razorbacks ---- but the people that will go somewhere and sit and watch videos of nothingness while their life slips away.

Kinda like I am doing as I type this ..... =)

sevenof400

Quote from: Hoghead on February 10, 2012, 12:07:24 am
I remember Frank saying in his Georgia twang "This is Michael Forrest, a BIG Fullback from Earle, Arkansas !"  LOL !!!

If you're this old Hoghead, do you remember Bill Flemming introducing the starters on camera prior to the game?

Hoghead

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 10, 2012, 08:31:00 am
Quote from: Hoghead on February 10, 2012, 12:07:24 am

If you're this old Hoghead, do you remember Bill Flemming introducing the starters on camera prior to the game?
Yes ! with their number and hometown. " Number 33, A RB from Dallas, Texas...Dickey Morton !"

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas