• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beckham to commit to Mizzou...Tenpenny to Bama...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, January 30, 2012, 12:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

War Eagle

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 02, 2012, 02:13:06 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on February 02, 2012, 01:59:09 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 02, 2012, 01:47:30 pmThey shouldn't have much problem outscoring Florida.  That offense is a train wreck and they missed on pretty much all their offensive playmaker prospects.

How do you fall so far, so fast when you are in the middle of the richest supply of talent in the U.S.?

For one, they no longer have Coach Weis and his decided schematic advantage.  Second, they were trying to run a new system with Urban's players.  Third, their QB's are garbage regardless of the system they run.  For whatever reason, it seems that Miami and FSU get the quality skill players in-state, and of the ones that Florida gets, a lot of them recently haven't panned out.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, but I haven't really seen Miami and FSU putting out stellar skill players recently either

Chief_Osceola™

^ Christian Ponder was a first round draft pick last year.  Before him, depending on how far you want to go back, you have Lorenzo Booker, Greg Jones, Anquan Boldin, etc.  And Miami always puts guys in the league.  The problem was that Randy Shannon was the head coach at Miami, and the entire FSU coaching staff was disfunctional after Richt left until Jimbo took over.  It wasn't a lack of elite athletes, it was a lack of developing elite athletes.

War Eagle

I don't doubt that FSU has had the elite athletes, my argument would be that many of those haven't panned out (much like Florida) in recent memory.  Anquan Bolden is the only real skill position player in that list that I would say turned into a star and that was quite some time ago.  Maybe I just don't watch enough FSU football to know about the other guys you listed

Chief_Osceola™

Jones has started at fullback every year he's been in the league and healthy.  Booker was a rising star until he was plagued with the injury bug.  Also Leon Washington (former RB) was one of the best return guys in the league until he was hampered with injuries as well.  And the reason others haven't panned out is because of what I alluded to earlier - lack of coaching.  They get to college as elite talents, but don't progress as well as they should.  The jury is still out on Ponder, but he did a lot of good things playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.  I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of these FSU guys in the league in coming years now that they're being developed.  We'll see.

Out of curiosity, who has Auburn put in the league recently?  No flame, I seriously don't know because I don't really follow Auburn or the NFL outside of Miami and former FSU players.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 02, 2012, 10:30:43 pm
Jones has started at fullback every year he's been in the league and healthy.  Booker was a rising star until he was plagued with the injury bug.  Also Leon Washington (former RB) was one of the best return guys in the league until he was hampered with injuries as well.  And the reason others haven't panned out is because of what I alluded to earlier - lack of coaching.  They get to college as elite talents, but don't progress as well as they should.  The jury is still out on Ponder, but he did a lot of good things playing behind one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.  I have a feeling we'll see a lot more of these FSU guys in the league in coming years now that they're being developed.  We'll see.

Out of curiosity, who has Auburn put in the league recently?  No flame, I seriously don't know because I don't really follow Auburn or the NFL outside of Miami and former FSU players.
Cam Newton?

War Eagle

I'm embarrassed I wasn't able to list off more on my own but I found a list that helped me out

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/sec-football-teams-nfl-players-list/

The players I would pick out of the list who have had any sort of success so far:

1. Ben Tate-Houston Texans
2. Cam Newton-Carolina Panthers
3. Marcus McNeill-San Diego Chargers
4. Ronnie Brown-Philadelphia Eagles (had better days in Miami)
5. Ben Grubbs-Baltimore Ravens
6. Sen'Derrick Marks-Tennessee Titans
7. King Dunlap-Philadelphia Eagles
8. Carlos Rodgers-SF 49ers

Auburn seems to put many more OL/DL guys into the NFL than skill guys which shouldn't be surprising.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: War Eagle on February 02, 2012, 10:48:09 pm
I'm embarrassed I wasn't able to list off more on my own but I found a list that helped me out

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/sec-football-teams-nfl-players-list/

The players I would pick out of the list who have had any sort of success so far:

1. Ben Tate-Houston Texans
2. Cam Newton-Carolina Panthers
3. Marcus McNeill-San Diego Chargers
4. Ronnie Brown-Philadelphia Eagles (had better days in Miami)
5. Ben Grubbs-Baltimore Ravens
6. Sen'Derrick Marks-Tennessee Titans
7. King Dunlap-Philadelphia Eagles
8. Carlos Rodgers-SF 49ers

Auburn seems to put many more OL/DL guys into the NFL than skill guys which shouldn't be surprising.

Same with us, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  The defense has never really been a problem at FSU though.  I expect that trend to continue too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas