• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ARKANSAS DC HIRE

Started by HORNET FAN, December 07, 2011, 02:22:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HORNET FAN

Shannon it is. I am verry happy with this hire.

Coach Venny Slocombe

hb14lh

Romeo

Not yet confirmed. There's conflicting reports coming out. Some outlets are claiming he hasn't even been contacted by Petrino.

Ex-HAplayer

December 08, 2011, 01:50:36 am #4 Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:05:05 am by Ex-HAplayer
Dang it Ted roof is leaving Shannon...Oh well we will get Bradley from Penn State or Ron Zook.

pantherblue

UA has announced it's Shannon..

Romeo

Quote from: pantherblue on December 08, 2011, 08:28:06 am
UA has announced it's Shannon..

Source???? I don't see anything that says that.

Bogey

Ok, it's Joe Lee Dunn      ;D

Romeo

The word floating around is Ole Miss DC Tyrone Nix.

rattler60

I don't lIke that name.  It not. Big time name to me

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Quote from: Romeo on December 08, 2011, 11:59:57 am

Dang, all the Randy Shannon talk yesterday got me excited, and now the talk is Nix being the frontrunner. TN is a nice guy who has had some success, but I think we need a bigger name.  Here is how the Rebels and Hogs defense ranked at the end of the 2010 and 2011 season in the SEC and the NCAA(FBS).

OM- '10   SEC[12]  FBS[108]       '11   SEC[12]   FBS[95]

UA-  '10   SEC[5]    FBS[45]        '11   SEC[9]     FBS[37]

I think we just need a DC that is going to take our D to the next level.

athletic supporter

Quote from: PIGSKIN JUNKIE on December 08, 2011, 08:37:48 pm
Quote from: Romeo on December 08, 2011, 11:59:57 am

Dang, all the Randy Shannon talk yesterday got me excited, and now the talk is Nix being the frontrunner. TN is a nice guy who has had some success, but I think we need a bigger name.  Here is how the Rebels and Hogs defense ranked at the end of the 2010 and 2011 season in the SEC and the NCAA(FBS).

OM- '10   SEC[12]  FBS[108]       '11   SEC[12]   FBS[95]

UA-  '10   SEC[5]    FBS[45]        '11   SEC[9]     FBS[37]

I think we just need a DC that is going to take our D to the next level.

Would Nix not be a step back from Willy? The Rebs were the 12th ranked D the last 2 years in the SEC. Guess how many teams played in the SEC the last 2 seasons. Give me a break!

Breitontime

Has a lot to do with the quality of players at Ole Miss.

AirWarren

I want Randy Shannon. Nix is old news here.

We took a big hit losing McGee. Ugh, bad news to come back to when I got off the cruise ship.

Ridge Rat

Man I was amped over Shannon. Nix isn't what we need to move on up.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

There is also some chatter that current defensive ends Coach Steve Caldwell could possibly be promoted to DC.

AirWarren

In this case we need a proven defensive coordinator. Shannon has the credentials to make an impact on defense and get some good recruits. Just take a look at what he did at Miami as DC.

I don't think hiring within would be a step forward.

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

December 08, 2011, 11:30:16 pm #17 Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:32:45 pm by PIGSKIN JUNKIE
Quote from: AW on December 08, 2011, 11:12:21 pm
In this case we need a proven defensive coordinator. Shannon has the credentials to make an impact on defense and get some good recruits. Just take a look at what he did at Miami as DC.

I don't think hiring within would be a step forward.

Oh, I agree. From all indications, Shannon is not coming to Arkansas, as he still has aspirations of being a HC. It sounds like to me Nix and Caldwell are the current frontrunners. If our D doesn't show improvement over the last 2 years all the Willy-Haters may go off the deep end.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Ridge Rat on December 08, 2011, 09:20:23 pm
Man I was amped over Shannon. Nix isn't what we need to move on up.

I think a lot of us took that deep hook to the bottom of the river.

herws

Please take Tyrone Nix. Your defense will be worse than Willy's. The guy has no clue and is as predictable as the seasons.

DB

I would imagine that if we "could" get Shannon, we most certainly would.  The fact is, it may be impossible to get him.  I think it is obvious that Petrino is looking for something better than what we have had.  I would not be surprised if he and Willy had a put up or shut up conversation before this season started.  Petrino is not content with 10-2.  He is going to do whatever he possibly can to win a NC.  This is not a "let's hire our buddies" mentality.  I'm going to trust that CBP will get the best DC that he can that helps his team win a title.

Keep in mind, Paul talked a lot about discipline.  If Shannon and CBP talked and couldn't come to an agreement on discipline, it may have been a deal breaker.

zebradynasty

December 09, 2011, 09:33:45 am #21 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:35:25 am by zebradynasty
I don't think not getting Shannon had anything to do with a difference of opinion on discipline. It was probably the fact the Shannon wants to be a head coach again and should get that opportunity real soon. It would be bad to hire him and then he leaves after a season or so...like Weis!

AirWarren

Charlie weis took the reigns of a dead program that cares nothing for football. Bad bad move.

hb14lh

December 09, 2011, 08:51:07 pm #23 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 08:55:31 pm by hb14lh
According to Jeff Long's Twitter, Paul Haynes is the new DC. Former Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State.

Romeo

Quote from: hb14lh on December 09, 2011, 08:51:07 pm
According to Jeff Long's Twitter, Paul Haynes is the new DC. Former Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ohio State.

Home run hire. Worked with Petrino before at Louisville. Ohio State defensive secondary finished first against the pass in the Big Ten 3 out of the last five years.

AirWarren

Wow. Lets hope this pans out!

InYoGrill

I want to see this guy in a full razorback shirt, hat, and hog tattoo before I believe it is a done deal after that pre mature Shannon BS.

Romeo

Arkansas has already announced it and it is on the school's website. Nobody from the university said anything publicly about Shannon.

Hoghead

Quote from: Romeo on December 09, 2011, 11:44:44 pm
Arkansas has already announced it and it is on the school's website. Nobody from the university said anything publicly about Shannon.
KSLA 12 TV Shreveport, La. Ran with the Randy Shannon hire as the 2nd story behind LSU's BCS Bowl Title Game. Can't trust these guys !

HORNET FAN

Lol I learned a valuable lesson to not believe anything I read after all that Shannon talk. I just hope this hire works out for us.

R. A.™

Word is that Shannon was in campus for compliance issues that he had to do through the NCAA. I really don't know why, but some press are saying he wasn't even a candidate.

I guess with the fast hiring of PP that once people saw Shannon on campus that they assume that the DC was a fast hire with him. You what they say when you assume??

Brian G

Do not be surprised to discover this was in the works longer than you might think.

rattler60

I was reading the paper today and seen that Johnson is now the assistant head coach and was wondering why Paul Haynes or Paul petrino are not the assistant?They are a better fit  Paul petrino knows his coach more than any of the rest.

Mulerider

This new DC better hope Petrino's offense doesn't get shut down in a couple of games next year or he will be looking for another job! 

zebradynasty

Dude give it a rest! The fact that anyone would defend Willy's defense is amazingly stupid. He was told to improve and he didn't and was let go such is the way in D1. BP offense getting shut down for 2 games vs 2 full seasons of missed tackles, big plays, and bad play on third down should get any coach fired including Saban!

Busman

Assistant head coach is just a title to get more money.  There will be some additional duties, but BP is in charge.  What I wonder is how do the current assistants feel about making 100K or more less than the three new guys?  Tim Horton is probaly the most valuable man on staff (coordinates in-state recruiting), and not anywhere close to these salaries.

Mulerider

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 18, 2012, 10:52:55 pm
Dude give it a rest! The fact that anyone would defend Willy's defense is amazingly stupid. He was told to improve and he didn't and was let go such is the way in D1. BP offense getting shut down for 2 games vs 2 full seasons of missed tackles, big plays, and bad play on third down should get any coach fired including Saban!

But you do admit that those "2 full seasons of missed tackles, big plays..." were the two best back to back seasons in the history of Razorback football!!!!!   In the last 3 losses by the Hogs in what could be considered their 3 biggest games in 40 years (Ohio State, Alabama and LSU) it wasn't the defense that beat them.  Ohio State was completely shut down in the second half of the Sugar Bowl and held to 3 points!!  The defense did not lose these games for the Hogs the offense did.

Do you not agree with what I state above?  3 big losses all on the Offense, why is this so hard to see?!?!?  Give all he credit in the world to Master Bobby when he deserves it but be honest enough to call it like it is when he doesn't deserve it!

zebradynasty

Quote from: Mulerider on January 19, 2012, 05:57:46 pm

But you do admit that those "2 full seasons of missed tackles, big plays..." were the two best back to back seasons in the history of Razorback football!!!!!   In the last 3 losses by the Hogs in what could be considered their 3 biggest games in 40 years (Ohio State, Alabama and LSU) it wasn't the defense that beat them.  Ohio State was completely shut down in the second half of the Sugar Bowl and held to 3 points!!  The defense did not lose these games for the Hogs the offense did.

Do you not agree with what I state above?  3 big losses all on the Offense, why is this so hard to see?!?!?  Give all he credit in the world to Master Bobby when he deserves it but be honest enough to call it like it is when he doesn't deserve it!

The offense didn't perform well against 2 of best defenses the SEC has had in the last decade! OSU yeah the offense only played a half. However, your argument has no balance. No one fired Willy because of 3 games nor should anyone fire BP over 3 games. Willy was fired for 2 seasons worth of poor defense. Even counting the inspired performances in the "3 biggest games in our history" (still no balance) they still played inconsistent just like they when played teams like Troy or New Mexico State...Willy was fired due to a lack of progress in what he was hired to do PERIOD!

fastdrop

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 19, 2012, 07:13:34 pm

The offense didn't perform well against 2 of best defenses the SEC has had in the last decade! OSU yeah the offense only played a half. However, your argument has no balance. No one fired Willy because of 3 games nor should anyone fire BP over 3 games. Willy was fired for 2 seasons worth of poor defense. Even counting the inspired performances in the "3 biggest games in our history" (still no balance) they still played inconsistent just like they when played teams like Troy or New Mexico State...Willy was fired due to a lack of progress in what he was hired to do PERIOD!
LOL.... yea he was released because of those 3 games.

If the Hogs would of won those 3 games .... he would of been given bonuses.

mack

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 19, 2012, 07:13:34 pm

I think you are spot on here ZD.  It's all about winning, absolutely, but not measurably progressing to a goal is what got him fired.  There is no doubt the offense did not perform well in those three games, but the overall progression of the offense made it one of the best in the SEC.  The defense on the other hand, never got to the point where you could say it was in the top tier of SEC defenses.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas