• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino to Texas???

Started by fastdrop, December 02, 2011, 06:30:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fastdrop

;D  just a rumor I have heard but they do indeed have the money to get whomever they want.

even if it cost them 18 mil

Valleysports

You don't think he'd do it, if the price is right?  ;)

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Valleysports on December 02, 2011, 06:57:41 pm

I'm not too concerned.  With an 18mill buyout, we can more than afford someone worth equal weight.

True Fan

olddog79

sevenof400

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on December 02, 2011, 07:08:02 pm

I'm not too concerned.  With an 18mill buyout, we can more than afford someone worth equal weight.

Okay, so it is unlikely Petrino will leave but just for fun, let's assume for the moment Petrino goes to Texas and Arkansas gets an $18 million payout. 

Can you imagine the pressure that would be placed on the Arkansas administration to bring in a prominent hire?  After all, money would not be an obstacle...  Who would / could Arkansas pursue?

Might that kind of money entice a pro coach to the college ranks? 

Wouldn't Cowher or Gruden be very interesting choices if this should happen?

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: olddog79 on December 02, 2011, 07:57:27 pm
Houston is available:)

now that would be fun to watch!  a longhorn meltdown would be hysterical!

fastdrop

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 02, 2011, 08:02:33 pm

Okay, so it is unlikely Petrino will leave but just for fun, let's assume for the moment Petrino goes to Texas and Arkansas gets an $18 million payout. 

Can you imagine the pressure that would be placed on the Arkansas administration to bring in a prominent hire?  After all, money would not be an obstacle...  Who would / could Arkansas pursue?

If Petrino wants a national championship he will jump ship....

as far as who the Hogs could get with 18 mill --- I would hate to be searching for a coach this year with all the job openings.

Ex-HAplayer

Go to Texas Petrino. They need you.

True Fan

If it was about a school being in need, he'd go to Auburn.

Ex-HAplayer

He has already been at Auburn. Been there done that, but I am ready for Gus to go. I won't the old Auburn back.

AirWarren

sevenof400

Quote from: AW on December 03, 2011, 07:00:48 am
Dumb thread.

Why AW? 

Can you say that one program has never coveted another program's coach?  As much as I hate to type this Texas is a bigger program than Arkansas and if they want Petrino that buyout will not be an obstacle. 

This rumor may be nothing more than an over zealous booster's wish list but we've seen this sort of action lead to coaching changes before.

Indiana Jones

yeah buddy

I'd try to get Kirby Smart

CHSTigersFan

Quote from: True Fan on December 02, 2011, 07:08:59 pm
Les Miles?
::) ::) ::) ROTFLOL Too funny, like he would leave LSU for Arkansas....

AirWarren

Quote from: Indiana Jones on December 03, 2011, 08:17:00 am
Dumb thread.
look who started it ;)

My point exactly.

BP ain't going anywhere for a long time. Coaches come and go but with BP not being the quenessential media darling, he loves the love our fans give him because lord knows the media makes sure they find a way to make him look like a moron.

He loves it here in the state. And the les miles stuff, please. Anyone can win with the recruiting population JUST in the area between Baton rouge and NOLA. They don't even have to leave the region. He ain't that great of a coach, his school name, and talent pool keeps him alive.

fastdrop

Quote from: AW on December 03, 2011, 09:48:53 am
Quote from: Indiana Jones on December 03, 2011, 08:17:00 am
Dumb thread.
look who started it ;)

My point exactly.

BP ain't going anywhere for a long time. Coaches come and go but with BP not being the quenessential media darling, he loves the love our fans give him because lord knows the media makes sure they find a way to make him look like a moron.

He loves it here in the state. And the les miles stuff, please. Anyone can win with the recruiting population JUST in the area between Baton rouge and NOLA. They don't even have to leave the region. He ain't that great of a coach, his school name, and talent pool keeps him alive.
How do you know he loves it here in the state?

Like I said this is just a rumor --- but if Texas wants him --- 18 mill would be pocket change to them.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: fastdrop on December 03, 2011, 05:30:12 pm
Like I said this is just a rumor --- but if Texas wants him --- 18 mill would be pocket change to them.

18 Mill would be more than enough to pay for Gus for 6 seasons.

fastdrop

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on December 03, 2011, 05:41:08 pm

Have you seen the video of his wife...... Gus would have to pay Texas to let her on the Campus.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: fastdrop on December 03, 2011, 05:48:30 pm

Have you seen the video of his wife...... Gus would have to pay Texas to let her on the Campus.

she'd fit right in in austin. 

Big Fan

Quote from: fastdrop on December 03, 2011, 05:48:30 pm

She would not come to Austin, she has an upscale apartment in Charlotte....with a rommie.

Uncle Ivan

Paul Petrino, perhaps.

Mulerider

Maybe the Hogs could use that $18 million to get the guy back fro UAPB?  You think that would payoff the buyout he has in his new contract?

Hoghead

Everybody has a price and Texas has the MONEY !!!!!!!!!!!! Sure he'd do it. Texas is easier to recruit too. You can build a program without going out of state. Mack Brown isn't a good x & o Coach, but he can recruit. BP can do it all !!!!!

sevenof400

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top not for the purpose of extending this rumor but to look at the extent Oregon is going to keep Mike Kelly (which is along the same lines of this thread).

Click here for that story.

What is interesting is the discussion on the lockdown amounts - in Kelly's case, $4 million was deemed enough to lock him down.

...from the article
QuoteIn addition, Oregon is paying extra for stability. When the school committed to Kelly with SEC-like money, Kelly also committed to Oregon. His buyout dropped from $4 million last year to $3.75 million this year, but that number is almost prohibitive for even the richest athletic departments. In 2015-16, it will be $2 million, which is still pretty large by industry standards.

One has to admit that in comparison to Kelly's lockdown numbers, if the assumptions in the article are correct with respect to $4 million being prohibitive, Arkansas has built what should be an impenetrable wall around Petrino given the buyout amounts in Petrino's contract. 

fastdrop

If Texas wanted Petrino and Petrino wanted the Texas job.... money would not be an issue.

Uncle Ivan

A lot of wishful thinking going around.

Iknewthemwhen

I don't see anyone coming up with $18 million to get Petrino or any other coach.  He and UA are well protected from a sudden departure.

sevenof400

That was why I found the article on Kelly interesting - it helped to put in context the level to which Arkansas went to ensure Petrino's continued employment at Arkansas. 

gatecrasher

Quote from: fastdrop on December 02, 2011, 08:51:04 pm

If Petrino wants a national championship he will jump ship....

as far as who the Hogs could get with 18 mill --- I would hate to be searching for a coach this year with all the job openings.
If he wants a national championship he will stay here. All he needs is the defense to move into the top 20-25 nationally.

sevenof400

Petrino may have to replace more offense than he was hoping for as well. I saw the story in the ADG on the offensive players who are investigating their NFL options. While investigating options does not mean they will be leaving, the possible loss of some of the offensive stars would certainly hurt the outlook for next year.  The two biggest names are Wilson and Davis and while no one is irreplaceable, losing experience would not help. 

Big Fan

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 02, 2012, 02:40:41 pm
Petrino may have to replace more offense than he was hoping for as well. I saw the story in the ADG on the offensive players who are investigating their NFL options. While investigating options does not mean they will be leaving, the possible loss of some of the offensive stars would certainly hurt the outlook for next year.  The two biggest names are Wilson and Davis and while no one is irreplaceable, losing experience would not help. 
If any of those under-classmen go to the NFL this year, it will be the biggest mistake since Scotty Thurman.  They just want to get the feedback of what they need to work on......period! 

Iknewthemwhen

It's always a possibility for underclassmen to make the jump and it is understandable.  Go now and make some big money, stay and risk injury?  I really don't think many if any of those will go but ya just never know.

AirWarren

Amen big fan. Lots of work to be done.

True Fan

Back to the thread title;

Petrino went to Texas.

Picked up his Cotton Bowl Trophy.

Be back home soon.

gatecrasher

Mack Brown signed an extension last week. This thread is now officially BS, just like I said from the beginning.

fastdrop

yea...... I guess Texas did not want him.

sevenof400

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 29, 2012, 08:41:40 pm
Mack Brown signed an extension last week. This thread is now officially BS, just like I said from the beginning.

If you think that extension is going to soothe the unrest that currently permeates Texas you understand nothing about college football.

gatecrasher

Hoghead

Rumors has it he's on a motorcycle deep in Texas as we speak. Thanks Bobby !

Indiana Jones

A match made in the lowest depths of hades

Satan  coaching Satan's team  ;)

Valleysports

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on December 02, 2011, 08:14:40 pm
Quote from: olddog79 on December 02, 2011, 07:57:27 pm
Houston is available:)

now that would be fun to watch!  a longhorn meltdown would be hysterical!

Believe in Karma, Piggie?

fastdrop

Petrino to Texas is now all Hog fans worst fear......

olddog79

Quote from: fastdrop on April 12, 2012, 08:12:14 am
Petrino to Texas is now all Hog fans worst fear......
Texas A&M would be worse.

bdubyab60

I dont see petrino coaching this year. This will have to die down before anybody hires him. If there is any kind of man left in him he is trying to clean up his personal life one way or the other.

Texarkana_Piggie

i don't want petrino anywhere in the south.  let him head back up north to yankee land.  he is no southern gentleman. 

pantherblue

Where ever he ends up look for them to be at the top in 3-5 years... If it's a hot bed of recruits like Texas could be much much sooner!!

redwolf143

Tech or TAMU may hire him, the rest of the schools in Texas either have a head coach or too much integrity.

Hoghead

Quote from: redwolf143 on April 12, 2012, 09:45:26 am
Tech or TAMU may hire him, the rest of the schools in Texas either have a head coach or too much integrity.
Texas and the word integrity don't even go together ! LOL !

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas