• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E Sports

Started by Eddie Goodson, September 05, 2018, 07:20:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Goodson

I am told the AAA is meeting to decide on developing E Sports for Arkansas Schools. Games would be nonshooter games and would allow teams to not have to travel to play except for the final competition.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 05, 2018, 07:20:53 pm
I am told the AAA is meeting to decide on developing E Sports for Arkansas Schools. Games would be nonshooter games and would allow teams to not have to travel to play except for the final competition.

Terrible.

OrangeCrush.

Teaching more kids that it is okay to be lazy and sit on their butts all day.

R. A.™

Growing program across the country, many colleges are starting or already have a program in place. Henderson State is starting a program this year..

Many programs are ran through the athletics departments at the universities. Scholarships are now being made available, there are rosters, team jerseys,etc.

Look it up. You will be surprised by it.

AirWarren

https://stateofobesity.org/states/ar/

This just feeds into "my child also deserves a trophy" mentality. There is no skill to playing video games or major thought process. I have killed plenty of hours of my life behind a controller. The day I stopped was the day I grew up. Just is just ridiculous.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

This is gonna hit the fan before too long if it goes through. It passes the mentality that you can do nothing but sit on your rear all day and still get rewarded. I wanna know what happened to the days when kids said they wanna be a doctor, astronaut, soldier, cop, real athlete, etc, when they grow up. It's a good thing I'm a senior this year, because I'd not want to be affiliated with a public school supporting this. If some day down the road my kid tells me they're quitting a real sport/activity to play games at school, I'm not letting them because of what it promotes. Rant over...

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AirWarren on September 06, 2018, 07:57:45 am
https://stateofobesity.org/states/ar/

This just feeds into "my child also deserves a trophy" mentality. There is no skill to playing video games or major thought process. I have killed plenty of hours of my life behind a controller. The day I stopped was the day I grew up. Just is just ridiculous.
Extremely short sighted. The military combs these type competitions for their drone fleet pilots and other unmanned vehicle operators. This is the future and it is one more way for disconnected kids to connect and possible unlock a future career. That is why schools exist in the first place.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 06, 2018, 08:34:42 am
Extremely short sighted. The military combs these type competitions for their drone fleet pilots and other unmanned vehicle operators. This is the future and it is one more way for disconnected kids to connect and possible unlock a future career. That is why schools exist in the first place.

That military drone flyer also had to pass health exams and get through basic training. Not sure how he is going to do that with quick thumbs, touchdown pass leader on a video game and a BMI through the roof.

Give me a break, this is an absolute joke. And this is coming from someone that used to love video games.

RamFan06

IT took me a long time to come around to this opinion. I used to have the same view point as others, this is just for lazy kids, but that isnt the case. ESports gives those kids that do not have the physical ability to compete at a high school or college level, the chance to actually compete. Competition and being part of a team builds character, why would this be any different?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

im pretty sure there are people making a pretty lucrative salary playing and testing video games. one may not like the idea, but I don't like all careers either.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on September 06, 2018, 09:17:10 am
im pretty sure there are people making a pretty lucrative salary playing and testing video games. one may not like the idea, but I don't like all careers either.
Quote from: RamFan06 on September 06, 2018, 09:03:17 am
IT took me a long time to come around to this opinion. I used to have the same view point as others, this is just for lazy kids, but that isnt the case. ESports gives those kids that do not have the physical ability to compete at a high school or college level, the chance to actually compete. Competition and being part of a team builds character, why would this be any different?
Spot on.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AirWarren on September 06, 2018, 08:57:32 am
That military drone flyer also had to pass health exams and get through basic training. Not sure how he is going to do that with quick thumbs, touchdown pass leader on a video game and a BMI through the roof.

Give me a break, this is an absolute joke. And this is coming from someone that used to love video games.
Who says only fat kids play video games?

AirWarren

September 06, 2018, 10:44:28 am #12 Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:46:40 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 06, 2018, 10:41:30 am
Who says only fat kids play video games?

There are a lot of unfit kids that aren't overweight playing video games.

I'm certain that the kid that shot up the tourney in Jacksonville wouldn't be able to do anything regarding basic training.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, Eddie. I see both sides....honestly do. But this every kid needs a trophy etc stuff is tiring. When I see "pro" video gamers....I see this guy. A twenty something hanging out in momma's apartment or home sitting around doing nothing all day.

https://katv.com/news/local/arkansan-goes-pro-at-nba-2k-video-game

N2DEEP

If you do not think it takes skill or physical ability to play esports at a high level, then you have never played at a mid or high level.

While it does not take the muscle force as most "ball" sports, it actually takes more mental ability as well as reflexes, concentration, problem solving, etc...

I played tons of normal sports as a kid, and as I got older esports allowed me a place to play as a team and still be competitive. Esports is not made up of fat lazy kids, to play at a high level they do more "homework" than a normal child in a class and they usually enjoy it more, plus many teams require a certain amount of exercise to be mixed in (just like physical football on the field and also classroom/video work).

AirWarren

September 06, 2018, 11:08:12 am #14 Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:12:08 am by AirWarren
So it takes mental fortitude to run HB Direct and hitting a WR on a crossing route or post route by hitting X, Y, A, B etc....?

I've heard it all.

I guess Fred Savage had it figured out all along...back in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz1uHCxWxMw&feature=youtu.be

Brian G

I'm not sure why it bothers anyone.

It's not my kinda thing, but it if gives a reason for kids to go to school to be a part of something it's a win/win.  They're going to play anyway.

It's not like it's going to be front page of the sports or news  It's just organizing it.

phdefense

Quote from: R. A.™ on September 05, 2018, 10:04:34 pm
Growing program across the country, many colleges are starting or already have a program in place. Henderson State is starting a program this year..

Many programs are ran through the athletics departments at the universities. Scholarships are now being made available, there are rosters, team jerseys,etc.

Look it up. You will be surprised by it.
I've been telling people on here this has been coming for years.

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=142587.0

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=136435.0

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=155959.0

and this is what an esport team looks like

some fit the sterotype some do not

phdefense

September 06, 2018, 03:35:51 pm #17 Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:05:39 pm by phdefense
Quote from: AirWarren on September 06, 2018, 07:57:45 am
There is no skill to playing video games or major thought process. I have killed plenty of hours of my life behind a controller.
I know that you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to football and athletic sports in general as well as an educated man, but this statement is 100% ignorant.

1. Your first and largest point of ignorance is that you bring up a controller. The vast majority of esports is played with mouse and keyboard, not controllers, especially the good paying ones (think 6 figure income)

2. You were in error in thinking in you're youth were anywhere near good relative to where an "esports" competitor's skill level is. These people's hand-eye coordination and reaction speed are insane. Yes, they are measured. https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/how-fast-fast-some-pro-gamers-make-10-moves-second-8C11422946

3. Thought process: most esports are team based and tactical & strategic in nature where the entire team has to communicate and adjust on the fly as the game is being played. Think speed chess with 100+ different pieces, but your opposition can resist your moves or presnap reads and audibles in football except everyone is talking. https://youtu.be/dxgWh0BQTEA?t=8m

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: phdefense on September 06, 2018, 03:35:51 pm
I know that you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to football and athletic sports in general as well as an educated man, but this statement is 100% ignorant.

1. You first and largest point of ignorance is that you bring up a controller. The vast majority of esports is played with mouse and keyboard, not controllers, especially the good paying ones (think 6 figure income)

2. You were in error in thinking in you're youth were anywhere near good relative to where an "esports" competitor's skill level is. These people's hand-eye coordination and reaction speed are insane. Yes, they are measured. https://www.nbcnews.com/technolog/how-fast-fast-some-pro-gamers-make-10-moves-second-8C11422946

3. Thought process: most esports are team based and tactical & strategic in nature where the entire team has to communicate and adjust on the fly as the game is being played. Think speed chess with 100+ different pieces, but your opposition can resist your moves or presnap reads and audibles in football except everyone is talking. https://youtu.be/dxgWh0BQTEA?t=8m
All these things mentioned are why the military and tech companies are snapping up these folks as quick as they can.

beach bum

I'll take on all comers in FIFA on xbox  ;D

Brian G

There are some AR public high schools offering drone classes.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on September 06, 2018, 05:50:24 pm
I'll take on all comers in FIFA on xbox  ;D

Me too. I was also BA at Mind Castle and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego computer games at school. Doesn't mean I needed a lettermen jacket for it.

I see y'alls argument. I also see that some of you hold gaming dear to your heart. Which is fine. But we will just have to agree to disagree.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on September 06, 2018, 06:45:07 pm
Me too. I was also BA at Mind Castle and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego computer games at school. Doesn't mean I needed a lettermen jacket for it.

I see y'alls argument. I also see that some of you hold gaming dear to your heart. Which is fine. But we will just have to agree to disagree.

I definitely think its all moderation like almost anything else that counts. Raising an 8th grader right now I'll let him pretty much have free reign on his system on Friday evenings and Saturday's as long as he is getting his higher priorities done (school work and athletic priorities). Sunday through Thursday I allow him to play one game which usually lasts 15-30 minutes if he even has the time on any given particular day on school nights and definitely no later than 7!! I can see where it becomes a problem when its non stop which I know many of his peers are doing.

Mulerider4Life

What game will they play? Won't it go out of date every year as well?

phdefense

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on September 12, 2018, 12:12:03 pm
What game will they play? Won't it go out of date every year as well?
The most popular game for esports at the moment (League of Legends) is 8 years old.

phdefense

September 13, 2018, 03:23:57 pm #25 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:26:01 pm by phdefense
These videos I think summarize this thread LOL

Elders react to Esports

Media learning about esports

sevenof400

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 06, 2018, 05:27:54 pm
All these things mentioned are why the military and tech companies are snapping up these folks as quick as they can.

As someone who is in the classroom every day, I can add to the chorus stating there are kids who need to be reached and become motivated for something.  A good number of these kids will never see a sports field because they simply lack the interest in the traditional sports.  We can argue whether that is good or bad until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is kids these days have more choices than ever before in terms of what to spend their time (free or otherwise) on. 

The traditional high school sports just are not as popular with kids as they once were.  High school sports simply are not a main focus of a growing number of people these days and the effect of that can be seen in the number of participants, and the skill levels on display.  In other words, more kids are chasing more choices. 

Concurrently, I think there is actually a larger (and less addressed) issue out there these days and that is a lack of community, an esprit de corp if you will within schools and communities.  We are losing (if we haven't lost) the threads that bind us together.  Individualism has been warped to a point where standards almost no longer exist (or are ignored) while our communities lose cohesion. 

This ain't good. 

RD™

Currently I have almost 20 years in the Arkansas Air National Guard. I have seen different categories of new recruits who enlisted and at the same time got discharged in the same boat. Our mission set is not looking for physically gifted individuals anymore. We are looking for outside the box thinkers, technologically advanced. Yes they still have certain requirements for enlistment and yes they must maintain some form of Physical Fitness. However, I can tell you first hand the next generation is smarter than this generation. I consider my self a video gamer on the weekends (mostly just for fun ... max maybe 2 hours). However, I also 6-8 miles a week and do strengthening and conditioning. At my age of 37 going on 38. I have to maintain tip top shape for my fitness readiness.

esports is coming. We can accept it, reject it, but it's coming.

In 20 years, Football will be outlawed. It's coming folks.

phdefense

September 15, 2018, 03:13:30 pm #28 Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:25:37 pm by phdefense
Quote from: RD™ on September 15, 2018, 01:59:32 pm

esports is coming. We can accept it, reject it, but it's coming.

It's not coming, it's here. Esports is not a threat to the big 2 football or futbol yet, but Esport events are going head to head with the NBA finals and World Series beating them in viewers for the past few years. Which is why 4 of the franchised teams in North American League of Legends are owned by NBA teams(Milwaukee, Golden State, Cleveland & Houston).

AirWarren

https://www.cnet.com/news/fortnite-game-addiction-cited-as-cause-for-divorce/

"Gaming addiction is becoming a heavily debated topic, with the World Health Organization classifying it as a mental health disorder, and several treatment centers already opening. Concerned parents and several politicians have claimed it promotes violence, while many gamers insist it's just a healthy hobby."

https://www.techspot.com/news/76456-fortnite-addiction-resulting-hundreds-divorces.html

Yay...

Eddie Goodson

Completely unrelated to what we are dealing with here.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 17, 2018, 07:09:39 am
Completely unrelated to what we are dealing with here.

Addiction begins somewhere.

phdefense

September 17, 2018, 03:55:30 pm #32 Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:57:46 pm by phdefense
Quote from: AirWarren on September 17, 2018, 08:06:30 am
Addiction begins somewhere.
Addictive personalities will always find something to latch on to. I have seen hunting/fishing, car racing & gambling on sports cause divorces as well. Even football can be a target for addiction and unbalanced priorities.

AirWarren

Quote from: phdefense on September 17, 2018, 03:55:30 pm
Addictive personalities will always find something to latch on to. I have seen hunting/fishing, car racing & gambling on sports cause divorces as well. Even football can be a target for addiction and unbalanced priorities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-man-threatens-to-shoot-child-after-losing-video-game/ar-BBNw5Y9?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Eddie Goodson

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on September 20, 2018, 02:59:48 pm
Dude, there is NOTHING that you can't find extremes of.

I've got my opinion. You got yours.

phdefense

Quote from: AirWarren on September 20, 2018, 03:15:40 pm
I've got my opinion. You got yours.
Do you base your opinion of all football players on the kicker that assaulted his pregnant wife as well? Just doing a consistency check here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/josh-brown-ex-wife-told-police-20-physical-incidents-article-1.2757186

AirWarren

September 20, 2018, 04:05:27 pm #37 Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 04:09:02 pm by AirWarren
Absolutely, athletes aren't the face of swell people.  The majority of these "pro" athletes come from backgrounds of lesser extents so they land some money and treating people good isn't a priority. That's why pro athletes aren't some people that I would garnish as idols.

Take a look at Richie incognito. This guy you referenced here. Athletes are tailored from a young age to get by based on their abilities and as long as they are winning for the town, we can turn a blind eye.

These video games and false realities go way back. Take a look at Dylan Klebold and his Columbine buddy. Sick obsession with first generation 1st shooter games such as Doom. Constant Separation from reality while sitting behind a controller isn't good for the psyche. No different that taking impact after impact on the helmet.

Trust me. I loved games. Goldeneye. Madden. NCAA.

But I've grown up and the last thing I want to do is sit behind a computer or controller all day and play video games. So I have a hard time understand how people do it.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

I'm gonna revive this thread since Pocahontas is discussing putting an E-Sports team. But what would the games be if there are no shooting/killing games such as Fortnite, COD, etc? Will it be something like Madden/NBA 2K, or something that else?

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on December 12, 2018, 08:11:01 am
I'm gonna revive this thread since Pocahontas is discussing putting an E-Sports team. But what would the games be if there are no shooting/killing games such as Fortnite, COD, etc? Will it be something like Madden/NBA 2K, or something that else?
This will be a club and you will be competing. Scheduled regular season games will be played after-school during the week. There will be a Fall and Spring season. The Fall season will be October to January and the Spring season from February to May. All games will be played here at PHS in the Business Education building computer labs. The only travel would be if (or when) we qualified to travel to State Finals.

Here is an example: meet on Tuesdays with matches at 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. A possible 12 match regular season (6 weeks) with a four-week playoff before heading to state finals.

Currently, the only title offered is League of Legends. More titles will likely be offered in the future.

Students must be 13 years of age or older to participate. This will be a competitive team atmosphere. Teams will consist of at least 5 players. League of Legends is 5 vs 5. There are a couple of videos and a document attached to provide you with more information.

This is straight from the Pocahontas High School principal

AirWarren

https://www.allprodad.com/7-manly-qualities-your-son-wont-learn-playing-video-games-watching-news/?utm_term=playoftheday&utm_campaign=Play%20of%20the%20Day%20Daily%20Email&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=67456014&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--_JpYdQzezV75MvZOe_BFtGsm8yAwSQ28EtPYdPSzV6ZFQO0jm63kHNUFcPdX3t1peQTfKanqMBqtEa3Rp3cVxqZi8GNBHel3x3XP1f8ucLgq1lA8&_hsmi=67456014#skipintro

Eddie Goodson

December 13, 2018, 04:33:22 pm #41 Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:35:03 pm by Eddie Goodson
Quote from: AirWarren on December 12, 2018, 12:00:06 pm
https://www.allprodad.com/7-manly-qualities-your-son-wont-learn-playing-video-games-watching-news/?utm_term=playoftheday&utm_campaign=Play%20of%20the%20Day%20Daily%20Email&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=67456014&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--_JpYdQzezV75MvZOe_BFtGsm8yAwSQ28EtPYdPSzV6ZFQO0jm63kHNUFcPdX3t1peQTfKanqMBqtEa3Rp3cVxqZi8GNBHel3x3XP1f8ucLgq1lA8&_hsmi=67456014#skipintro
You can keep beating that dead horse, but if you are, at least use an article that isn't apples and oranges different from what they are going to be doing. E Sports absolutely teaches some of those qualities.

We get it that you don't like it. Your point is proven. However, if some of us want to give our students an option that MIGHT give them a chance to experience teamwork and maybe, just maybe, hone a skill that could get them started in a career, it is our option.

Romeo

This is for Air Warren. ESports State Championships today. Bryant vs. Greenwood at 3pm. Greenwood vs. Searcy at 4:30pm. Finals can be seen here: https://www.twitch.tv/playvs or NFHS Network

SUGARTOWN

A little late to this thread, and I certainly have no problem with these kids playing these games competitively and even having school teams. To me, it's no different than having a quiz bowl or debate team. But, that being said, it ain't sports.

phdefense

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 13, 2019, 12:45:00 pm
it ain't sports.
This is true in the strictest sense of the definition of "sports"(activity involving physical exertion) much like E-Mail does not fit the strictest sense of the definition of "mail"(material such as letters and packages sent or carried in a postal system). However in both cases they have  enough popular use that debates on nomenclature are over at this point.

Jwolf12

It's crazy where we are now with "sports." Video games could be considered a club maybe, but calling it a sport is a stretch for me. But that is just my opinion

sevenof400

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on May 13, 2019, 12:45:00 pm
A little late to this thread, and I certainly have no problem with these kids playing these games competitively and even having school teams. To me, it's no different than having a quiz bowl or debate team. But, that being said, it ain't sports.

A positive outcome from this is it gives schools more control over its students - which means while these kids can enjoy the privileges of playing on a team, they are also responsible to have to follow school codes on grades and substance avoidance.  Esports kids typically were not under this umbrella before so from that aspect, this is a positive step. 

Eddie Goodson

Who gives a rip to what they call it? If it is getting kids engaged that weren't and it is getting kids potentially down a path that could give them a career that pays pretty doggone good, call it whatever in the world you want. Why in the world people have to line up and dump on everything that come along baffles me.  Calling it an e-sports in no way demeans traditional sports any more than ESPN airing stupid poker tournaments and equating them as a sport. We get it. Some of you don't like it. Your objection has been read and noted. Go whine about something else now.

phdefense

May 20, 2019, 04:38:03 pm #48 Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:42:01 pm by phdefense
Quote from: phdefense on September 15, 2018, 03:13:30 pm
It's not coming, it's here. Esports is not a threat to the big 2 football or futbol yet, but Esport events are going head to head with the NBA finals and World Series beating them in viewers for the past few years.
Just thought I would update this to show how much growth has happened since this post. The League of Legends world championship match had more viewers than the Superbowl this time around.

Superbowl: 97.5 Million
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/super-bowl-draws-lowest-tv-audience-in-more-than-a-decade-nielsen.html

LOL Championship: 205 Million
https://escharts.com/blog/worlds-2018-final

Still nowhere close to the World Cup's 3.5 Billion though.
https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/more-than-half-the-world-watched-record-breaking-2018-world-cup

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on May 20, 2019, 02:15:53 pm
Who gives a rip to what they call it? If it is getting kids engaged that weren't and it is getting kids potentially down a path that could give them a career that pays pretty doggone good, call it whatever in the world you want. Why in the world people have to line up and dump on everything that come along baffles me.  Calling it an e-sports in no way demeans traditional sports any more than ESPN airing stupid poker tournaments and equating them as a sport. We get it. Some of you don't like it. Your objection has been read and noted. Go whine about something else now.

Why are you always so grouchy? We all don't have to agree about everything on here, do we?

And I don't think ESPN has ever called poker tournaments "sports".

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas