• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-4 2018

Started by x14113, August 04, 2018, 01:53:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who takes it home this year?

Dardanelle
7 (41.2%)
Dover
0 (0%)
Mena
0 (0%)
Ozark
7 (41.2%)
Pottsville
0 (0%)
MIA
2 (11.8%)
Waldron
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: September 20, 2018, 01:53:48 am

Gray lizard

Pottsville Jr boys played a good game.  A couple fumbled balls and missed tackles let it get away. Now if they can just fix that before next week.
Pottsville stopped Booneville's first drive and scored first.  Booneville then scored to tie the game.  Pottsville scored again to go ahead and Bonneville tied the game just before half.  Booneville scored twice in the second half while Pottsville dropped the ball and never made another successfull drive.

x14113

It looked early on like the Panthers would run away with the game after jumping out to a 12-0 lead on their first two possessions, but a combination of grievous errors and defensive adjustments let the Hillbillies back into it.

It seems Ozark's biggest need of improvement is in the OL. When they played well, our skill guys could run at will. otherwise, it was a TFL.

Overall, a scrappy result with a lot of upside. Next week ought to be another good test.

x14113

It took a while, but I've confirmation in writing that Mansfield @ Waldron was postponed in Week 1.

No idea whether it'll be made up.

x14113

Conference play starts a week early in the JH ranks. At least the opening it leaves may be put to good use.

Week 3 Games

Mena @ Dardanelle (C)
Ftn. Lake @ Dover
Shiloh @ Ozark
Pottsville @ Prairie Grove
FS Trinity @ Waldron

(Still awaiting a final on last week's Dover game...)

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on September 11, 2018, 11:16:28 pm
Conference play starts a week early in the JH ranks. At least the opening it leaves may be put to good use.

Week 3 Games

Mena @ Dardanelle (C)
Ftn. Lake @ Dover
Shiloh @ Ozark
Pottsville @ Prairie Grove
FS Trinity @ Waldron

(Still awaiting a final on last week's Dover game...)

Danville 32 Dover 14

Gray lizard

I got to watch the film on the Pottsville Bonneville game.  Fumbles cost them the chance to win the game. If Pottsville can correct the snap and hold onto the ball they will be a decent team in the district.

x14113

x14113

Defense steps up again...!

Ozark 14
Shiloh 6
JH

x14113

September 13, 2018, 10:02:12 pm #58 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:34:12 pm by x14113
Other scores:

Prairie Grove 27
Pottsville 8

Dardanelle 28
Mena 6

FS Trinity 19
Waldron 14
(Courtesy of a walk-off KO return by the Buffs)

FL @ Dover was called off. Turns out the Cobras were supposed to go to Ashdown tonight. Whoops...

x14113

Speaking of Dover, tonight's events just made me realize something.

With the varsity opening with the two teams that are MIA in JH play in consecutive weeks, that means there have been open spots we haven't discussed.

Will the Pirates really go four weeks between playing games?

Gray lizard

This is a disaster no way it should have been allowed.  I would make their High schools give up all home games or not allow them to play either.  It is just not fair to the boys to take two games off the schedule and now three for Dover it sounds like.

My JR Apaches continue to have turn over problems.  Maybe it can turn around cause they are a much better team than the final score shows.

coachc9

I believe Dover and waldron will be playing next week because each have open weeks. That way neither have more open weeks than they have to throughout the season. Also allows 9th graders to move up early at the end of the season. Not positive on this though.

Gray lizard

Subiaco is Pottsvilles last game so their season will end a week early.  Not sure any 9th graders will contribute to the high school. This whole situation just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I bet they want to play basketball.  All the other teams should drop them in basketball and let them see how it feels. Subiaco being a all boys school already causes problems for the district in girls basketball.

x14113

Quote from: coachc9 on September 14, 2018, 09:33:55 am
I believe Dover and waldron will be playing next week because each have open weeks. That way neither have more open weeks than they have to throughout the season. Also allows 9th graders to move up early at the end of the season. Not positive on this though.

I have noticed that Leland Barclay lists their varsity game for Thursday 11/1, so that is plausible.

There's an online newspaper that covers Waldron, so I can double-check through that.

x14113

We'll just have to keep our eyes peeled for any potential filled openings.

For now:

Week 4 Games

Ozark @ Mena
Dardanelle @ Pottsville
Dover @ Waldron (?)

coachc9

Dover and Waldron are playing tomorrow.

Gray lizard

Pottsville could sure use a win.  Hope they can hold onto the ball and finish drives. If they do they have a chance, but if they don't it could get out of hand real fast.

Gray lizard

I hope Pottsville does ok.  I am cooking pulled pork for the teams pregame meal.  When I signed up to do it I did not realize that included the 7th grade team as well.  That is a lot of butts to smoke. 

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: Gray lizard on September 20, 2018, 01:59:52 pm
I hope Pottsville does ok.  I am cooking pulled pork for the teams pregame meal.  When I signed up to do it I did not realize that included the 7th grade team as well.  That is a lot of butts to smoke.
The heat today is simply oppressive. 105 heat index. I can't even imagine having to walk to the mailbox after a plate of pulled pork in this weather. I could sure handle a long nap after though.

beach bum

Quote from: Gray lizard on September 20, 2018, 01:59:52 pm

Dang you're spoiling those kids down there haha....

x14113

x14113

No cheerleaders, no problem...!

Ozark 42
Mena 0
JH

The Coach

Dardanelle 23
Pottsville 0

x14113

One last goose egg to share:

Waldron 34
Dover 0

Gray lizard

Quote from: The Coach on September 20, 2018, 10:08:05 pm
Dardanelle 23
Pottsville 0
Well the pulled pork held them pretty good.  I just hate it for this team they were in the game 8-0 with around 4:20 or so left in the 4th.  Turnovers just kill them.  When they have to go into passing mode they just fall apart. If they could ever stop the turnovers they would be a decent team.

Sigmund Sauer

Quote from: x14113 on September 20, 2018, 08:12:47 pm
No cheerleaders, no problem...!

Ozark 42
Mena 0
JH
Ozark hudl page says 33-6, though I realize hudl is often inaccurate.

Sigmund Sauer

September 21, 2018, 11:08:28 am #76 Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:05:58 pm by Sigmund Sauer
Ah, says 42-0 now. Someone somewhere is correct! Lol Not much difference either way really.

Gray lizard

Hey The Coach you every notice the Dardanelle coaches are on the field during the game?  Looking at the film I notice out to the numbers a lot of the time in the 4th 1/4.

The Coach

September 21, 2018, 04:56:06 pm #78 Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:30:08 pm by The Coach
Dardanelle had 3 turnovers themselves that kept the game close. All 3 turnovers were inside the 20 and Pottsville probably didn't have 75 total yards of offense and that's a big maybe only having like 3 first downs all night. They only completed 1 pass for negative yards and Only crossed midfield twice after a bad snap on a Dardanelle punt and a good KO return at the end of the game.

No on the coaches if they are on the field it's usually 1 and he is  typically 15-20 yards behind the play with no direct impact on any play.

Gray lizard

Well coach could you be more negative. I think not. I  will rewatch the film as I think you have misstatements in your post.
For your information coaches are not allowed on the field of play period.
You make it sound like Dardanelle ran all over Pottsville and that was not the case.

The Coach

Quote from: Gray lizard on September 21, 2018, 09:35:09 pm
Well coach could you be more negative. I think not. I  will rewatch the film as I think you have misstatements in your post.
For your information coaches are not allowed on the field of play period.
You make it sound like Dardanelle ran all over Pottsville and that was not the case.

Def no misstatements in my post at all. Pottsville had more 3 and outs then first downs. Dardanelle did move the ball most of the game pretty well as they ran for almost 200 yards just had trouble finishing the drives with TD's early and as I stated they had 3 turnovers inside the 20 and 2 of those inside the 10.

You make it sound as though a coach being on the field 20 yards behind the play had something to do with the outcome.

Gray lizard

I watched the game again.
Maybe only 3 first downs 5 total
Dardanelle had 11
Only crossed mid field twice
Crossed 50 3 times
1 pass completed for loss
It was actually 1/2 yard gain.
Dardanelle had at least 7 incomplete pass. I did not count the first 2 drives.
And never said the coaches interfered with the game.
I just found it strange they out to the numbers when the ball was snapped.

The Coach

September 22, 2018, 09:12:31 am #82 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:06:48 am by The Coach
Quote from: Gray lizard on September 21, 2018, 11:31:17 pm
I watched the game again.
Maybe only 3 first downs 5 total
Dardanelle had 11
Only crossed mid field twice
Crossed 50 3 times
1 pass completed for loss
It was actually 1/2 yard gain.
Dardanelle had at least 7 incomplete pass. I did not count the first 2 drives.
And never said the coaches interfered with the game.
I just found it strange they out to the numbers when the ball was snapped.

You should watch again cause they gained 3 first downs total and those were all on the last 2 possessions of the 1st half.  They had 5 drives end with a 3 and out,  2 with interceptions and 1 with a fumble lost. They didn't get a first down in the 2nd half. They only crossed the 50 twice. They got to the 50 on a KO return and threw a pick 6 on the first play so they didn't actually cross it. The pass completion was for negative or no gain according to where the ball was spotted for the next play. Not that it matters cause all I was doing was giving a run down of how the game went for other posters. It was a good hard fought game between 2 rivals and Dardanelle made more plays in the end to get the W.

x14113

Now that we've had time to cool off:

Week 5 Games

Dardanelle @ Waldron
Mtn. Home v Ozark (game @ Hendrix)
Pottsville @ Mena

No word on Dover...

Gray lizard

Game day Good luck to all.
What a mess the 4-4A Jr play is.  Only two conference games this week and one who knows if they are playing or not.  The other team has to travel half way to even get a game.
Anyone know if this will be the same for the Jr boys next year as well.

HSfan

Subiaco should have more favorable numbers next year, with all the 7th graders they have and really only 4-5 9th graders I believe. I don't see why they wouldn't be playing the 4-4A schedule next year but who really knows. I know everyone has been missing the ultra-competitive game with them.

x14113

x14113

One step ahead...!

Ozark 38
Mtn. Home 16
JH

The Coach

Dardanelle 19
Waldron 0

x14113

And to wrap the week:

Pottsville 26
Mena 20

x14113

No ambiguity this week!

Week 6 Games

Mena @ Dover
Ozark @ Dardanelle
Waldron @ Pottsville

x14113

Ozark 30
Dardanelle 6
7G

x14113

Power > Speed...!

Ozark 28
Dardanelle 7
JH

x14113

Straight from the Bulldog cheer squad:

Pottsville 22
Waldron 20

The Coach

Quote from: x14113 on October 04, 2018, 08:43:25 pm
Power > Speed...!

Ozark 28
Dardanelle 7
JH

Dardanelle had a few chances to score and get it closer but overall the better team won.  #22 and #7 are really good football players.

x14113

Quote from: The Coach on October 04, 2018, 09:21:49 pm
Dardanelle had a few chances to score and get it closer but overall the better team won.  #22 and #7 are really good football players.

Dardy's QB isn't too bad himself. He certainly helped make the game feel closer than the final score.

Anyway, to wrap the night:

Mena 30
Dover 14

x14113

Conference slates start to wrap up this week, but several can still play spoiler in the title race.

Week 7 Games
Dover @ Dardanelle
Mena @ FS Trinity (Game @ Buck Wells Stadium, next to Ramsey JH)
Pottsville @ Ozark

No word on Waldron yet...

Gray lizard

Quote from: x14113 on October 09, 2018, 11:39:02 pm
Conference slates start to wrap up this week, but several can still play spoiler in the title race.

Week 7 Games
Dover @ Dardanelle
Mena @ FS Trinity (Game @ Buck Wells Stadium, next to Ramsey JH)
Pottsville @ Ozark

No word on Waldron yet...

One more time and maybe I will get over it.  It just burns me up what Elkins and Subiaco have done to this district.  Is this going to be the same next year as well.

x14113

I understand the frustration over it all (especially with Subi's antics on such short notice), but the simple fact that such moves are making waves is indicative of how easy most small-school conferences usually have it.

Simply put, the awful truth is that JH/9G programs don't have to group themselves like their varsity counterparts. Heck, Our conference dealt with this just 3 years ago, with 3 schools (including Subi, but for different reasons) not joining in for JH play.

And if nothing else, you should see what the 5A West's JH teams are doing.

Gray lizard

So the AAA has nothing to do with jr high ball. In that case I say the 4 should ban Subiaco for all other sports.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas