• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hartford Closing...Hackett 3A?

Started by AT, January 11, 2018, 08:43:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

Hartford is set to close according to the news and I know when Hartford first started playing football, their numbers plus Hackett's numbers would have put Hackett in 3A. Would this still happen? Any Hackett fans heard any talk?

beach bum

January 11, 2018, 09:14:53 pm #1 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:29:52 pm by beach bum
Oh wow... Would they do this as quickly as next season this coming fall? If so they would need to make some quick changes. It appears Yellville Summit is the smallest public 3A school next cycle and would benefit tremendously by going down to 2A and I could see them actually fighting for a 4 or 5 seed in the 2A ranks. To me a little shuffling would go on cause Hackett would join the 1-3A and Lamar sent to the 4-3A with someone from the 4-3A leaving and that team most likely being Baptist Prep or Mayflower taking the missing Yellville spot in the 2-3A that would be lost. It would create a little bit of a headache for the AAA shifting a few conferences around. And would Yellville just go into the 4-2A in Hackett's spot? Yellville is already out in no man's land in 3A, but that gets magnified even more so in 2A. Only the 4-2A and 3-2A even makes any sense and those are crazy headaches for them and travel. This is something for the western Arkansas folks to keep an eye on for sure and create a trickle effect east in the process.

friscokid

Hackett enrollment: 156
Hartford enrollment: 72
Total combined: 228 (3A, exact same as Atkins).

I seriously doubt the AAA would send Yellville that far west. In fact, there's a chance they keep Hackett in 2A since schedules are mostly set and would have to be ripped up. I believe there are precedents for it in previous consolidations.

beach bum

Quote from: friscokid on January 11, 2018, 09:43:07 pm

I seriously doubt the AAA would send Yellville that far west. In fact, there's a chance they keep Hackett in 2A since schedules are mostly set and would have to be ripped up. I believe there are precedents for it in previous consolidations.

Yea Yellville would really be out of sorts in 2A.... The only other option is going east all the way out as far as Marked Tree and EPC cause even the 5-2A has some closer teams, but then also have some just way too far south for Yellville so that would make no sense either. And yes I think they may have to settle for just keeping as is for a 2 year cycle or it would cause a trickle down headache for 2A and 3A schools.

Coach Jones

Nothing will be done until the next cycle.  2020 season would be the first season anyone would see the change.
At that point there is a good chance several of the Hartford kids could go to Mansfield, and that would bring Hackett's number back down to stay in 2A.  I'm sure it will be close.

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Jones on January 12, 2018, 08:49:29 am
Nothing will be done until the next cycle.  2020 season would be the first season anyone would see the change.
At that point there is a good chance several of the Hartford kids could go to Mansfield, and that would bring Hackett's number back down to stay in 2A.  I'm sure it will be close.

Thanks as always for clarifying .... Makes sense. Hackett fans I know will be rooting they stay right at that 2A line and do not tip into being one of the smallest 3A schools for 2020.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: friscokid on January 11, 2018, 09:43:07 pm

But you have know clue if all 72 kids from Hartford will go to Hackett

HorseFeathers

Let's see if I get this right...the 2020 cycle will include
2017 enrollment of Hartford and Hackett
2018 enrollment of Hackett (if Hartford is closed)
2019 enrollment of Hackett

So still an outside chance of Hacketts numbers will be 3a...

AT

AT

A few observations:

As stated in the article and by Coach Jones, students won't only go to Hackett, but also Mansfield. The ratio of students going to each school will determine if Hackett moves up to 3A. By the way, Mansfield is on the tail end of 3A, so I don't see Hartford kids bumping them up to 4A.

Coach Jones, I do have to ask if you know for sure if they wouldn't let this affect anything until 2020. I'm sure there is precedent, but this is weird timing. Hartford is set to close this year, the last year of this cycle. That means Hackett (and Mansfield) would "benefit" from a numbers increase for a whole cycle without it counting against them. Do you think the AAA might rethink calculating the classification system because of this?

I could see them just letting it be (I mean Junction City was in the wrong classification and the AAA just let it be).

That said, HF is correct that in the next cycle, the 2017-2018 numbers will most certainly be Hackett+Hartford and then whatever happens with the kids from there. Hackett will be close to 3A after all is said and done.

4real

Other districts have had similar circumstances and did not bump up till the following cycle. As mentioned, not all kids will make it to Hackett. A few will go to Mansfield due to proximity and a few will go across the border to Oklahoma schools.

HorseFeathers

Didn't read the article....but heard that Hackett financial stability was beginning to be questionable due to the costs of operating the second campus at Hartford

friscokid

One example of keeping a consolidated school down that I remember was Stamps and Lewisville, which happened mid-cycle. I believe the combined school remained in 2A and was elevated to 3A in the following cycle. Did that happen with Jax-NP as well?

Hornet4ever

Very interesting to see the school I went to becoming one big campus with Hartford on it. I foresee some construction and changes to the school, we were crammed pack when I was in school and have grown since. Should be interesting to see how things play out... Hackett doesn't belong in 3A, but it might be inevitable with the growth in students.

Coach Jones

(Almatrackster)

I don't know for a fact that it will be next cycle, but that is the way it has been done in the past. 
Consider Ola.  They stayed 2A for a cycle after consolidation as Two Rivers, also the above mentioned Lewisville/Stamps.

Since the AAA numbers and conferences have already been released and approved that is where things will stay until the next numbers come out in 2019 affecting the 2020 season.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach Jones on January 16, 2018, 10:07:48 am
(Almatrackster)

I don't know for a fact that it will be next cycle, but that is the way it has been done in the past. 
Consider Ola.  They stayed 2A for a cycle after consolidation as Two Rivers, also the above mentioned Lewisville/Stamps.

Since the AAA numbers and conferences have already been released and approved that is where things will stay until the next numbers come out in 2019 affecting the 2020 season.

Which will have 2016-2017, 2017-2018, and 2018-2019 numbers....Which all but assure Hackett/Hartford will be 3a

Hornet4ever

From a trusted source within our school district:

"I don't think we will bump up, it will be close and if we do it will only be one cycle the 228 number they have on fearless included this year's sr classes for Hackett and Hartford which are both big classes we have almost 60 srs and Hartford has 30 we drop to about 40 next year and Hartford drops to like 16. They only have one class with more than 20 and almost all lower grades are in the single digits plus some will school choice out we can lose 24 kid to that  so it will be very close moving to 3A but I think we will stay in 2A."

x14113

The AAA's precedent for folding in schools is simply to combine official numbers for both schools in all applicable years prior to closure.

In this case, that just means you can now just use the district numbers from the ADE Data site.

2017: 215
2018: 207
Sum: 422
2YADM 211

To remain in 2A in 2020, next year's enrollment would have to be well below 133.

Hackett HS's numbers have usually hovered around 150.

4real

I figure, based off the figures, that Hackett will have to figured into 3A in the next cycle.  Then, I figure, when the next figures are released, they will figure back down into 2A...

stuck in between

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 08:07:28 am
I figure, based off the figures, that Hackett will have to figured into 3A in the next cycle.  Then, I figure, when the next figures are released, they will figure back down into 2A...

Man, you did a lot of figuring in there.

4real

Made

Have heard nothing will happen because Hartford numbers were not counted as football numbers...however their numbers would have been counted for basketball. Will they be 2A in football and 3A in basketball now?

Cheek

Quote from: Made on January 20, 2018, 10:04:13 am
Have heard nothing will happen because Hartford numbers were not counted as football numbers...however their numbers would have been counted for basketball. Will they be 2A in football and 3A in basketball now?

Their new numbers will not count until next cycle. They can gain 1000 students now and it still would not matter.  Conferences are already set.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Made on January 20, 2018, 10:04:13 am

First part is right, second part is incredibly wrong...

Lions84

Well nothing will change until next cycle.

clipping

Letting Hackett gain those football players and still play 2A ball isn't fair to me.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: clipping on January 29, 2018, 04:57:26 pm
Letting Hackett gain those football players and still play 2A ball isn't fair to me.

They already had them

Hornet4ever

Quote from: clipping on January 29, 2018, 04:57:26 pm

We gained very few numbers. It's not like Greenwood's JV team came to Hackett. Don't get me wrong the additional numbers are great, but this is no exponential gain in players.

AT

I don't really mind waiting until next cycle to figure things out. There is a precedent for that.

I do wish to know why the AAA never counted Hartford's numbers against Hackett in football the past few years when they were two separate schools, but in the same district. I do know Hartford kids only played at Hackett for football, but other than not wanting to make things more complicated, it never made sense to let Hartford kids go play football for Hackett, and not count towards their numbers in that sport.

Not that there's a conspiracy. I actually don't have many problems with AAA decisions (they are voted on after all by the member schools), but the way they handled the enrollment of Junction City (two full cycles of a team being in the wrong classification is a pretty egregious mistake) and Hackett-Hartford are my only critiques right now.

4real

In the long run, Hackett will eventually get bumped up to 3A in FB, but as mentioned, they will not benefit from gaining athletic depth and ability from the Hartford kids.
Athletically Hackett would be better the way it was.  But they cannot afford to do that anymore with the lack of u ds

AT

Quote from: 4real on March 21, 2018, 08:18:30 pm
In the long run, Hackett will eventually get bumped up to 3A in FB, but as mentioned, they will not benefit from gaining athletic depth and ability from the Hartford kids.
Athletically Hackett would be better the way it was.  But they cannot afford to do that anymore with the lack of u ds

Agreed for the most part. But it should be noted that in small school football, one or two athletes can make a whole heck of a lot of difference. If Hartford provides that one or two, it could be interesting. But I don't believe they have in the past few years since the annexation.

4real

One or two make a difference in 2A. Not sure about 3A and moving up to play Charleston every year...

Made

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 21, 2018, 04:00:11 pm
There is a precedent for that.

I do wish to know why the AAA never counted Hartford's numbers against Hackett in football the past few years when they were two separate schools, but in the same district. I do know Hartford kids only played at Hackett for football, but other than not wanting to make things more complicated, it never made sense to let Hartford kids go play football for Hackett, and not count towards their numbers in that sport.

Not that there's a conspiracy.

Mt. View has 3 high schools in their school district and they only have to count kids who transfer for sports but not the rest of the student bodies of their other two schools

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Made on March 22, 2018, 07:29:29 pm
Mt. View has 3 high schools in their school district and they only have to count kids who transfer for sports but not the rest of the student bodies of their other two schools

What about chg and Sparkman?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 22, 2018, 08:10:54 pm
What about chg and Sparkman?

CHG gets every Sparkman Athlete and doesn't have to count any of them toward thier classification numbers.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas