• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

King Cotton Classic is BACK

Started by Lions84, September 12, 2018, 11:24:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lions84

zebradynasty

This is BIG time news. May not duplicate the old tournament gonna try to come close!

Maynard G Krebs

This is a big opportunity for Pine Bluff.  Hopefully the community and its leaders will prove to be great hosts and reestablish a great tournament.  Can create a real positive image for PB.

Lions84

I miss it I was down there in 90/91 and we saw great hoops.

FoxandHound34

Bout time they brought this great tournament back. Hopefully they can get about 20 or 30 teams like back in the day in the next few years make it a week long tournament

Rayburn

FIRST ROUND
Gulliver Prep (Miami, Fla.) 54
Columbus High (Miss.) 48

Jacksonville (Ark.) 60
Sam Houston MSTC (Houston, Texas) 54

Long Beach Polytechnic (Calif.) 49
Landry Walker High (New Orleans) 48

Park School (Buffalo, NY) 71
Pine Bluff 62

zebradynasty

So far so good. Gonna take awhile to recapture the old tournament glory just laying the foundation. Surprisingly evenly matched teams no one is just heads and shoulders above the rest. Renovations to the Convention center are good its past time Pine Bluff get back to hosting state tournaments. Attendance has been luke warm but it will get better in years to come!

Bulldog92

Zebradynasty the 4-A State tourny would be a great one to have again!! 

zebradynasty

Quote from: Bulldog92 on January 01, 2019, 05:21:27 pm
Zebradynasty the 4-A State tourny would be a great one to have again!! 

I was thinking the same thing!

Flobbito

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 28, 2018, 05:57:07 pm
So far so good. Gonna take awhile to recapture the old tournament glory just laying the foundation. Surprisingly evenly matched teams no one is just heads and shoulders above the rest. Renovations to the Convention center are good its past time Pine Bluff get back to hosting state tournaments. Attendance has been luke warm but it will get better in years to come!

Agreed, maybe it's because I follow the 1A and 2A boards mostly, but I forgot all about this tournament until I checked this board out.  I hope it becomes a big deal again, I remember he hype surrounding this tournament when I was younger, it would be great for PB and Arkansas to recapture that.

Mulerider4Life

Going to have to get North Little Rock into that tournament, as well as maybe Hall.

ballmember

Question that needs asking--How are the safety issues in Pine Bluff being addressed and where to stay?  Wish tournament well but a lot of preconceived issues to overcome for fans coming to Pine Bluff.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: ballmember on January 28, 2019, 03:01:12 pm
Question that needs asking--How are the safety issues in Pine Bluff being addressed and where to stay?  Wish tournament well but a lot of preconceived issues to overcome for fans coming to Pine Bluff.

Maybe some could stay in White Hall or Star City? Or maybe any of the quiet hotels around Pine Bluff? I would also assume they could hire extra security to work the doors at the hotels for that weekend specifically.

Missco

I doubt this is an issue for the teams that come to play in the tournament. It might be for sone fans but not many.

MomaLion

Isn't there a hotel connected to the arena?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MomaLion on January 29, 2019, 01:20:10 am
Isn't there a hotel connected to the arena?

Yes there is. It is is very bad condition. I don't believe it's even operating anymore.

MomaLion

That's a shame, many years back it was a beautiful hotel with the indoor atrium visible from every level.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MomaLion on February 01, 2019, 01:54:51 am
That's a shame, many years back it was a beautiful hotel with the indoor atrium visible from every level.

I think it is just like anything. They cut costs to be cheaper than Little Rock, while the beauty of the hotel suffered. I've seen pictures, and it looks like updates have not been done for a long time.

Lions84

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Missco on January 28, 2019, 11:35:50 pm
I doubt this is an issue for the teams that come to play in the tournament. It might be for sone fans but not many.
Might be bigger than you think

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas