• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ashdown, AR - Big Jake's Bar-b-que

Started by OPoraquê, January 12, 2014, 12:10:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

Anyone vouch for how good (or not) this restaurant is?

Any restaurant that literally has a railroad running through its parking lot (the rails are literally in the asphalt) has to be worth eating at.  There are places that have "street running" trains (again, with the rails sunk into the pavement of the street)...the old Cotton Belt in Pine Bluff did this, I believe, until it was re-routed in the 1980s, but I've never seen anything like this, nor like how the same railroad literally turns into the northbound lanes of U.S. 71.  (I-49 can't get here fast enough.)

True Believer

I've eaten at the one in Texarkana but not this one.  It was decent bar b que.  But I am near Memphis so I'm kinda a bar b que snob.   Not the best but for sure not the worst.

Texarkana Piggie might give you an answer about the one in Ashdown. 

Texarkana_Piggie

Didn't know there was a big jakes in ashdown. We eat at the one here on ark blvd a lot.  I like their BBQ and the sides they have.  It is not sweet BBQ it is tangy which is what I like.  Can't stand sweet BBQ sauce. Love the chicken.  Chopped pork is my fave though. Ribs are good.  Love the baked potato plate too.

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on January 12, 2014, 12:10:49 am

Any restaurant that literally has a railroad running through its parking lot (the rails are literally in the asphalt) has to be worth eating at.  There are places that have "street running" trains (again, with the rails sunk into the pavement of the street)...the old Cotton Belt in Pine Bluff did this, I believe, until it was re-routed in the 1980s, but I've never seen anything like this, nor like how the same railroad literally turns into the northbound lanes of U.S. 71.  (I-49 can't get here fast enough.)

Actually, the rails aren't "sunk" into anything. It is just normal track with ties and ballast that is then covered with asphalt.

OPoraquê

January 12, 2014, 02:22:32 pm #4 Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:50:54 pm by OPoraquê
Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2014, 09:17:19 am
Quote from: OPoraquê on January 12, 2014, 12:10:49 am

Actually, the rails aren't "sunk" into anything. It is just normal track with ties and ballast that is then covered with asphalt.

Sir, indeed, there has to be normal track covered with asphalt, but also the rails are indeed "sunk" into the pavement in a semi-circle from the entrance to Whittaker street, through the parking lot and directly across U.S. 71 before going across the strip between 71 and the Kansas City Southern Shreveport Subdivision right-of-way.  Otherwise cars would get hung up on the rails.  There is a small strip of fluted rubber by the sides of the "sunken" rails, I'm guessing to help keep debris out of the very narrow space between the rail and the pavement.  It's what railroaders call true "street running".

(As a comparison on the picture below from Google Maps of Big Jake's/Ashdown, there is non-asphalt-encased rail riding on riprap which forms the north shoulder of Whittaker Street (which runs parallel to the Arkansas Southern railroad all the way to the "back" of the photo):

EDIT:   (Unfortunately, you can barely see Big Jake's, but...)

(This is wild)  Dig the train speed and the homes that look like "Archie Bunker's neighborhood".  Here's where vehicles beating a hasty retreat really like "sunken rails".

ricepig

I fully understand the railroad business, I've never seen a track covered in asphalt with the rubber strips. They are used on the concrete crossings which are anchored or screwed into the ties below them. I've also seen many a rural crossings, or tracks in factory yards that were covered with asphalt. After I retired from farming I was a Roadmaster for BNSF for a few years before I decided to retire permanently. I didn't like the hours, or the travel, haha.

OPoraquê

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2014, 03:40:44 pm
I fully understand the railroad business, I've never seen a track covered in asphalt with the rubber strips. They are used on the concrete crossings which are anchored or screwed into the ties below them. I've also seen many a rural crossings, or tracks in factory yards that were covered with asphalt. After I retired from farming I was a Roadmaster for BNSF for a few years before I decided to retire permanently. I didn't like the hours, or the travel, haha.

Pretty cool about BNSF.  But I've actually stood on the Arkansas Southern track there at Ashdown and indeed, there is a narrow hard rubber strip that's attached to at least one side of the concrete over the rails.

True "street running" is hard to find anymore around here.  Since the Pine Bluff trackage was moved in the 80s I don't know of any other place in Arkansas save this that has it.  There may be some track from the old Rock Island Memphis/Tucumcari main still in the street in the Rose City area of North Little Rock (if it still exists as short line was using it). Hope, AR has the quasi-street running (roadbed abuts the road, like it does further up Whittaker St. here).

ricepig

January 13, 2014, 10:03:47 am #7 Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:00:04 am by ricepig
Quote from: OPoraquê on January 13, 2014, 09:53:52 am
Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2014, 03:40:44 pm

No, there is the rubber strips next to the concrete boards, they are there to keep some trash out, and to protect the concrete boards. The rural crossings will have timbers in them to help keep you from getting hung up. I was just pointing out that all tracks are tied to ties and covered with ballast. The different Class of track dictates the number of "good" ties and ballast in 39ft measurements. This is all mandated by the FRA.

OPoraquê

Ricepig, I think you just repeated what I said, pretty much.  Thanks.

Texarkana_piggie and True_believer, thanks as well.  I'll have to try the Jake's Ashdown when I'm there next if time allows.

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on January 13, 2014, 10:19:36 am
Ricepig, I think you just repeated what I said, pretty much.  Thanks.

Texarkana_piggie and True_believer, thanks as well.  I'll have to try the Jake's Ashdown when I'm there next if time allows.

Ok, I thought you were implying that there was rubber strips in your "sunk" rails in your first post, no problem.

Lions84

This thread is making me feel OLD  I still remember the Cotton Belt lines in Clarendon and Holly Grove and watching them weigh and load cotton bales on the train.

True Believer

I don't know anything about trains but I do know bar b que.  :) 

Lions84

We don't go to Ashdown anymore since the wife's Aunt moved to Callie but I want to swing by and give it a try one day.

Hoghead

I didn't know Ashdown had a BIG JAKES. Nice Location !   They have one in Hope as well ( I-30 & Hervey St. Exit) , It's ok BBQ.

Lions84

Quote from: Hoghead on April 21, 2014, 01:31:25 am
I didn't know Ashdown had a BIG JAKES. Nice Location !   They have one in Hope as well ( I-30 & Hervey St. Exit) , It's ok BBQ.

If Brother Hoghead says it's just ok I stay on the Interstate then.

Hoghead

Quote from: Lions84 on April 21, 2014, 12:48:08 pm

Well if you've had Rendezvous BBQ in Memphis, BIG Jakes is just OK. Best BBQ I ever had  is Golds BBQ in Atmore Alabama !!!!

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Hoghead on April 21, 2014, 03:59:12 pm

Well if you've had Rendezvous BBQ in Memphis, BIG Jakes is just OK. Best BBQ I ever had  is Golds BBQ in Atmore Alabama !!!!

i have eaten at rendezvous once.  i must have hit it on a bad night.  the ribs were tough, dried out and nasty.  not good at all. 

ricepig

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on April 21, 2014, 04:01:49 pm

i have eaten at rendezvous once.  i must have hit it on a bad night.  the ribs were tough, dried out and nasty.  not good at all.
No, it's pretty much a tourist trap now. Back when I'd go fairly often I had a waiter I'd get every time. He'd seat us without a wait and make sure our ribs, pork steak, or whatever was the best they had that night. If you just walk in off the street it was hit and miss, just a place everyone said you needed to go. I prefer Central BBQ and Germantown Commissary, but it's always a chance on BBQ. The best place for being good every time I've been there is Strawberry's in Holcomb, MO, their pork steak is a killer.

Lions84

I eaten there the original Corkies at White Station and my favorite Mr. Jim's Interstate BBQ .

ricepig

Quote from: Lions84 on April 30, 2014, 09:48:08 am

I eaten there the original Corkies at White Station and my favorite Mr. Jim's Interstate BBQ .

I agree that Corky's on Poplar is the best of the chain, my experiences at Interstate BBQ have been more misses than hits.

Lions84

I must have been lucky cause every time I have been it been good. I really miss Mr. Wayne Shaddens in Marvell and Armstrongs in Helena.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas