• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

You've Got Mail ... well, at least 2.5 million people still do

Started by Kazimierz, November 19, 2013, 08:32:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

Well, looks like 2.5 million of our poor, poor grandparents are still shelling out an average of $20 per month for an email address and dial-up internet. 

This nets AOL, yes AOL, $52 million per month in subscriber revenue alone.

I remember the mid-nineties ... nearly every week we would have a new "100 hours free of AOL 3.0."  AIM, the door open sound, chat rooms. And I did it all on ye olde Gateway 2000 (which reminds me, do y'all remember Gateway? They had those cow boxes and stores). 

Now, to be fair, they are probably darn near immune to NSA spying, advertisements, and other third party pilfering because really, who is going to take the time to hack into AOL accounts.

Reminds me of last Christmas when the whole family had a great laugh at/with my wife's godfather when he said, "just email me that information at ------@aol.com." We told him that he was probably the last AOL used and asked him if he owned it.

http://consumerist.com/2013/08/08/believe-it-or-not-2-58-million-people-still-pay-for-aol-service/

Uncle Ivan

With dialup, at least you didn't have to worry about bandwidth throttling.

ricepig

Uh, you do realize they have free services too? I've had the same AOL email account since the early 90's, Now it was dial-up at first, because that was all you could get at my office on the farm, but that changed a long time ago.

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas