• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

School Choice

Started by johnharrison, November 05, 2013, 07:19:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

Quote from: AirWarren on January 20, 2014, 08:17:32 am
^ stupid to pay that.

I had several friends who went to Central and received excellent educations. They attended Catholic feeder schools until 9th grade and then (I don't know how this works) tested into Central's AP program. The idea was that if they didn't get into Central's AP program then they would go to Catholic (which is several $K cheaper than PA or Episcopal).  One guy earned a full ride to Fayettenam and the other went to Dartmouth.

I cannot say the same for Central's non-AP program. It may be good, but I don't know anybody that attended the non-AP program.

Although I really enjoyed my time at private school (K-12, so I never knew any different) and I feel it really helped me in college... if I had good, safe and accredited public schools for my kids I would send them there. But if I had poorly managed, unaccredited, cluster ----- of a school system... then I would seriously consider dolling out the $$$ for private school. Or invest a lot of time at home tutoring my kids. 

I'll never forget attending my freshman year at college and sitting in English class.  All the kids were struggling with thesis sentences, paragraph structure and basic grammar.  That public schools are forced to teach to the lowest common denominator or teach-to-test is just too bad. I'm sure most of the teachers don't like it and most of the students don't benefit from it.

Valleysports

My son has told the same stories, in his freshman year, Kazimierz.  Being in class with kids that he's wondering how they got into college. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on January 21, 2014, 09:55:10 pm
My son has told the same stories, in his freshman year, Kazimierz.  Being in class with kids that he's wondering how they got into college. 

I had a few in upper level classes I wondered what they were doing there....They knew a whole lot about the Jack Daniels and being wasted, but not very much about the class work...or how to write a good paper....

Valleysports

cuckoobird

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on January 22, 2014, 01:08:00 pm
Frat kids?

We got to go somewhere to get to know people to come work for us, haha.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on January 22, 2014, 01:08:00 pm
Frat kids?

Sorority Girls...haha....Delta Zeta's...Well they wore the Delta Zeta stuff anyway.

Valleysports

Fully aware of the EZ DZ's!  ::)

Kazimierz

Although there were plenty of Greeks who didn't take school so seriously (and a fair share of GDIs).  The absolute worst students that I ever saw were athletes. They didn't even try. Just goofed off in class... in front of the professor.  You know how it works, one-on-one they weren't that bad. But in a group... it made the class just about a waste of money.

At least computers weren't allowed in class back then. After working for a few years I went to law school. Computers were allowed in class.... it was terrible. People on facebook, planning weddings, shopping, etc. Yes, that is right folks. The people that your children will be paying $250-$500 per hour for legal work looked for shoes and read Deadspin all through law school.  haha, just another reason to hate attorneys.

Valleysports

Quote from: Kazimierz on January 24, 2014, 11:07:04 am
Although there were plenty of Greeks who didn't take school so seriously (and a fair share of GDIs).  The absolute worst students that I ever saw were athletes. They didn't even try. Just goofed off in class... in front of the professor.  You know how it works, one-on-one they weren't that bad. But in a group... it made the class just about a waste of money.

Well Duh!  Momma's don't let your daughters marry College Athletes nor Frat Boys!

Lions84

Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2013, 05:02:38 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on November 11, 2013, 10:20:32 am
Nope AAA is meddling where it has no business .  Only thing needed is the player enrolled and attending classes and is he passing his classes. If so then let him play.

I bet you were one of those complaining about PA or Shiloh.

In my younger days I did based on the fact they were playing 2A football while having a 4/5A population pool to draw from.   

cuckoobird

Quote from: Lions84 on January 31, 2014, 12:17:53 pm
Quote from: ricepig on November 11, 2013, 05:02:38 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on November 11, 2013, 10:20:32 am
Nope AAA is meddling where it has no business .  Only thing needed is the player enrolled and attending classes and is he passing his classes. If so then let him play.

I bet you were one of those complaining about PA or Shiloh.

In my younger days I did based on the fact they were playing 2A football while having a 4/5A population pool to draw from.
in those days we took care of them when they ventured to the southern most school in Arkansas county

Lions84

Kids transfered from Central in Helena to Barton for years and no one hollared cause none of those kids would have seen the field at Central .

Kazimierz

Quote from: Lions84 on February 07, 2014, 09:21:18 am
Kids transfered from Central in Helena to Barton for years and no one hollared cause none of those kids would have seen the field at Central .

This is everyone's primary beef. No one seems to care about transfers or private schools unless a rival starts to win.

Nobody ever looked at private schools in the 80s or early 90s (when they were routinely trounced... with the exception of several years at Catholic in the 80s -- I think they won a few championships). 

But once these teams started winning... things got real.

Lions84

Quote from: Kazimierz on February 07, 2014, 11:15:15 am
Quote from: Lions84 on February 07, 2014, 09:21:18 am
Kids transferred from Central in Helena to Barton for years and no one hollered cause none of those kids would have seen the field at Central .

This is everyone primary beef. No one seems to care about transfers or private schools unless a rival starts to win.

Nobody ever looked at private schools in the 80s or early 90s (when they were routinely trounced... with the exception of several years at Catholic in the 80s -- I think they won a few championships). 

But once these teams started winning... things got real.

Lots of folks hollered about the beatings Barton gave folks in 2A.  But never a word about the kids being dropped off at the Catfish King Restaurant to get on the Bus to go to Barton.  I witnessed this driving in to Helena to go to PCCC.

AirWarren

I'm from Podunk Warren and did just fine with all the "private school" kids as well as the ones I work with in the real world.

The only things I hear about private school life for little rock kids are:
1. Easy access to high dollar drugs due to momma and daddy keeping money in their account.
2. Being spoiled brats.
3. Lots of partying while home a lot while momma and daddy are off and hearing how it's Mt Saint mattress instead of mount st Mary.

And this is from private school attendees.

I'll take my public school any day.

Kazimierz

Quote from: AirWarren on February 13, 2014, 12:31:17 am
I'm from Podunk Warren and did just fine with all the "private school" kids as well as the ones I work with in the real world.

1. Easy access to high dollar drugs due to momma and daddy keeping money in their account.
2. Being spoiled brats.
3. Lots of partying while home a lot while momma and daddy are off and hearing how it's Mt Saint mattress instead of mount st Mary.

My $0.02, as a K-12 private school attendee in Little Rock.

Well... most people talk of things they don't know.  Kids are kids. Your average high school kid (public or private) is immature, overconfident, and clearly knows it all.  Most of those kids are the same as the ones you went to school with in Warren.  And y'all bested us on the field my senior year (Bret Smith could out-throw the coverage... that was a good play all night). 

1. I think the drug problem is just as bad at Bryant, Warren, and Sheridan as it is at Episcopal, PA, or CAC.

2. There is a "rich & spoiled" club at every school.  I met many of them in college from private and public school.

3. We did have house parties. Some had parents in attendance, others did not.

4. MSM is a great school.  The only reason it has that reputation is because it is the only "all girls school" in Arkansas (every all girls school has this reputation... because guys think that when women are housed together they become promiscuous man-hunting crazy people).  And, because guys will brag about doing lots of things they didn't do.   

In Little Rock, the biggest difference between private and public is:

1. Teachers are not required to Unionize (they may not even be allowed to.. not sure).

2. Kids can go to a 2A-3A size school rather than a 7A school.

3. Kids can go K-12 at one location.

4. Stability in school leadership. When I was in High School the LRSSD was changing Superintendents nearly every year.

5. Option to have a faith-based education.

6.  And of course, the real reason: to laugh at all the people who cannot afford it... to form life-long entitled-persons clubs where we meet to look down at our lessors, to throw awesome parties with all the money our parents give us, and to find out once-and-for-all how what entry-level German sports sedan is the most fun to race on highway 10. [sarcasm]

Lions84

Druggies and Rich Spoiled Snots are at every single School I have attended or taught at.

johnharrison

Quote from: Kazimierz on February 13, 2014, 03:56:18 pm

2. Being spoiled brats.

Well... most people talk of things they don't know.  Kids are kids. Your average high school kid (public or private) is immature, overconfident, and clearly knows it all.  Most of those kids are the same as the ones you went to school with in Warren.  And y'all bested us on the field my senior year (Bret Smith could out-throw the coverage... that was a good play all night). 

1. I think the drug problem is just as bad at Bryant, Warren, and Sheridan as it is at Episcopal, PA, or CAC.

2. There is a "rich & spoiled" club at every school.  I met many of them in college from private and public school.

4. MSM is a great school.  The only reason it has that reputation is because it is the only "all girls school" in Arkansas (every all girls school has this reputation... because guys think that when women are housed together they become promiscuous man-hunting crazy people).  And, because guys will brag about doing lots of things they didn't do.   

1. Teachers are not required to Unionize (they may not even be allowed to.. not sure).

4. Stability in school leadership. When I was in High School the LRSSD was changing Superintendents nearly every year.

6.  And of course, the real reason: to laugh at all the people who cannot afford it... to form life-long entitled-persons clubs where we meet to look down at our lessors, to throw awesome parties with all the money our parents give us, and to find out once-and-for-all how what entry-level German sports sedan is the most fun to race on highway 10. [sarcasm]

Another advantage I would add is the ability to say, "Your child doesn't seem serious about what we are doing here or can't obey the rules, so we are going to tell you to find someplace else for you 9-3 M-F babysitting"

I know that public school is required to take all comers, even those with physical and mental limitations and in most communities there are NO OTHER places to send such students, but the fact remains that it is horrible on teachers' morale when they are saddled with 1 or 2 kids who are toxic to the learning environment.

Yeah, drugs are everywhere. 

Kazimierz

Quote from: johnharrison on February 21, 2014, 07:23:37 am
Quote from: Kazimierz on February 13, 2014, 03:56:18 pm

2. Being spoiled brats.

Another advantage I would add is the ability to say, "Your child doesn't seem serious about what we are doing here or can't obey the rules, so we are going to tell you to find someplace else for you 9-3 M-F babysitting"

Hahah! I remember this line. Teachers and administrators were quite fond of reminding some, shall we say, troubled students.  "You don't have to be here... we don't have to keep you.... we already have your parent's money.... straighten up or go to Hall High."

Lions84

I heard a very similar line when I taught at Private Schools.

johnharrison

Quote from: Lions84 on February 25, 2014, 10:59:50 am

Funny thing.  When you are 30 or 40 and have a job, the same principle applies.  If you don't fit in and don't do the work, they can find someone else.

Lions84

Quote from: johnharrison on February 26, 2014, 07:03:09 am
Quote from: Lions84 on February 25, 2014, 10:59:50 am

Funny thing.  When you are 30 or 40 and have a job, the same principle applies.  If you don't fit in and don't do the work, they can find someone else.

Yep but Public Schools don't get that option with their studnets and some times their teachers.

sevenof400

Quote from: Lions84 on February 28, 2014, 09:19:10 am
Yep but Public Schools don't get that option with their studnets and some times their teachers.

I think it might be more accurate to say public schools are not motivated to get rid of problem students or teachers because the process requires too much time and/or effort and in the case of students, a loss of state per student aid.

Lions84

We have to jump through state and federal hoops to kick a kid out unless he physical assaults studnet or school staff. 

HorseFeathers

is there really a law saying a chool can only accept so many school choice transfers a year based on their total enrollment?

ricepig

Quote from: HF on April 11, 2014, 05:40:03 pm
is there really a law saying a chool can only accept so many school choice transfers a year based on their total enrollment?

Yep, it's in the school choice law, something like 3%, maybe??

Jacketman65

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 06:07:25 pm
Quote from: HF on April 11, 2014, 05:40:03 pm

Yep, it's in the school choice law, something like 3%, maybe??
Doesn't the racial balance come into play as well if a school is near the 50 - 50 ratio?

Lionheart88

You're thinking of the old law that was struck down, I believe.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas