• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gun Dogs

Started by Kazimierz, October 26, 2013, 10:17:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

What do you use for water/field/tracking or any combination thereof:

1. Lab: always hunted with one growing up.
2. GSP: Duck hunted with one a few times, he also doubled as a field dog.
3. Blue Tick/Red Bone Coonhounds: Went coon huntin' with a buddy in college... it was interesting.

fastdrop

i thought you were going this direction

drug dogs and now gun dogs

True Believer

Chihuahua.

Most firece of all dawgs.   Trees and tracks anything.   Does not retrieve very well due to being a hard head. 

Kazimierz

Quote from: fastdrop on October 26, 2013, 01:40:42 pm
i thought you were going this direction

drug dogs and now gun dogs

Que?

Lions84

Ducks Black Lab
Rabbits and such Beagle
Squirrel's Beagle or Fiest.

Kazimierz

Never seen a Feist. Heard of 'em but never seen 'em.

Our neighbor has a Brittany. Very pretty, but I don't think the ole girl hunts.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Kazimierz on October 31, 2013, 08:50:14 pm
Never seen a Feist. Heard of 'em but never seen 'em.

Our neighbor has a Brittany. Very pretty, but I don't think the ole girl hunts.

My step father in law's feist is probably the best coon/squirrel dog he owns....and might be inthe running for best he's had, since he keeps breeding everything back to him to keep his blood strong in his breeding lines...

Lions84

Uncle Ivan

Lions84

Kazimierz

Other than hunting... I run a lot and would want a dog who can run around the park with me. I bet most field dogs could do that no problem (spaniels/pointers/hounds).

Jacketman65

Looks to me like if I were going to be running around the park, I would want Ivan's or Lion's hound with me.  Wouldn't have to worry too much about being mugged!

bleudog

Lions84

Those Cajun dogs are pretty tough but I can't remember their name. Black n Tan's and Redbone hounds will run for miles and can be protective.

Ridge Rat

You talking about Catahoulas?

Kazimierz

Some college friends got a Catahoula when they were Juniors at Ole Miss. It was at the Lafayette County Humane Society... it was a puppy, it had blue eyes, it was "cute."

But as you all know, it is a dog that needs lots of space, it was bred to hunt the big nasty things that live down in Creole Country and Acadiana Parish.

Before they gave the dog away to their family (who had a farm)... I think the damage was:

-Door frames (x2)
-Window frames (x4)
-leather couch
-fabric arm chair
-nearly every wooden chair leg

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Lions84 on October 31, 2013, 01:05:25 pm
Ducks Black Lab

Untrained, they are the most destructive forces known to man.

Lions84

Quote from: Ridge Rat on November 04, 2013, 10:38:31 am
You talking about Catahoulas?

Yep that it dog I was taking about and yes they need a farm or a big outside yard plus road work daily.

Breitontime

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 04, 2013, 08:59:13 pm
Ducks Black Lab

Have to start them when they are young. Mine is going on six months. She has free run of the house. She won't touch anything that isn't hers.

ricepig

Ducks Black Lab

Several years ago, I was given a pair, actually the people owning them begged me, of Lab pups out of a Grand Champion. Needless to say, one was Cujo, he ate the fence off, and the other was the family pet. Cujo went to the farm and eventually ran off/someone picked him up. These two dogs were complete opposites from the same litter.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Breitontime on November 06, 2013, 12:17:22 pm
Ducks Black Lab

Have to start them when they are young. Mine is going on six months. She has free run of the house. She won't touch anything that isn't hers.
nice to have you back

Lions84

I got my Black Lab as a puppy and since I was in HS and single I had plenty of time to train it right and it was a great dog.

Breitontime

Thanks, bird.

Mine is a big lap dog. But, my lap only, she knows not to get on anyone else.

She's a sneaky one, though. She likes to lay on me, cross ways on my waist. I'll push her off, and she'll put her head on my leg until I fall asleep, then she crawls back directly on top of me.

HorseFeathers

November 08, 2013, 01:07:34 pm #23 Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:42:10 pm by HF

green-eagle

Australian shepherds make a good all around hunting dog.......they love water or mud, give one a try. As a pup, they can and will play on your nerves and they are high active, but when they are trained right, at the age of two.....hands down a good dog.  they can also be train to go get you that beer out of the ice chest........Rebel was the best!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas