• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JO or AAU Volleyball

Started by 3n2, November 26, 2015, 09:58:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

3n2

I made a new Topic so we could discuss Summer Volleyball.

moe99expedition

Does anyone know the number of club teams out there?

Vballfan

been to AAU last couple year.  In the Open Division - I would say its pretty comparable competition from what I understand (never had a kid on a team playing Open Consistently).  in the middle division at AAU - the teams are a little hit or miss - you know at USAV Nationals everyone had to win a bid to get there so the competition is very strong.  this year USAV Nationals are in Indy, next year in Minneapolis - AAU Nationals are in Orlando every year,  nice for vacation - but a bit expensive.

the other sanctioning body is JVA- they have a very good tourney every year called the JVA World challenge- went last to Louisville, this year its in Kansas City - its in April.  Maybe JVA will one day have their own Nationals? 

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: moe99expedition on November 30, 2015, 11:52:18 am
Does anyone know the number of club teams out there?

Go to this link and click on Delta Region Volleyball Clubs.

http://www.deltavolleyball.net/view/78

moe99expedition

The Delta Region is never properly represented rather it be at HP Camps, Qualifying tournaments or Junior Nationals. I do understand this is not California, Texas, Arizona or Florida but if Arkansas wants to put out the college players those other states are or attract more people to volleyball events both parents and coaches (high school and college) need to step it up!

1-Adam-12

This year Booneville will have their own 15U team which is affiliated with FSJ as we have had the last two seasons.  Three of our older girls will be playing for Club Velocity 17U, and we have other girls on other teams.

moe99expedition

Question: Will they just travel locally or participate in qualifying tournaments for Junior Nationals or AAU?

1-Adam-12

We're just a regional team; I think the farthest we are going is Tulsa, maybe OKC or Memphis.

While I think our bunch is good those national teams are a step or more above us in talent. 

The three that play for Velocity might get a road trip to Dallas, they did last year and had a good showing.

gatecrasher

Kaylee is playing for Central Arkansas Volleyball Club's U18 team....
Gonna be a good experience for her.

Video....

http://recruit-match.ncsasports.org/clientrms/athletes/2712128?

1-Adam-12

With no Booneville basketball tonight I got to see our 15U JO bunch practice for the first time tonight. 

We have nine players, five of which are in their 3rd JO season, one in her second and three newcomers. Several of them could actually be playing 14U, but playing up has, sometimes of necessity, always been the case here.  It has paid off the last two years and hopefully will again.

AllStarSportsFan

Quote from: moe99expedition on December 29, 2015, 08:38:50 am
The Delta Region is never properly represented rather it be at HP Camps, Qualifying tournaments or Junior Nationals. I do understand this is not California, Texas, Arizona or Florida but if Arkansas wants to put out the college players those other states are or attract more people to volleyball events both parents and coaches (high school and college) need to step it up!

How would you propose parents and coaches (high school and college) step it up?

Vballfan

Quote from: AllStarSportsFan on January 08, 2016, 07:41:19 pm
Quote from: moe99expedition on December 29, 2015, 08:38:50 am

How would you propose parents and coaches (high school and college) step it up?

Put me in the camp of wondering how we step it up. Private lessons? drive great distances to play on the best team possible? Drive all over The country for tourneys?  We and others we know do all of this.  I'll concede the high school commitment to the sport is very poor or inconsistent at best, which is a great source of personal frustration to me knowing what it could be, but I guess I feel I am stepping up for my kids and doing everything possible to give them a shot at reaching their goals

moe99expedition

To those that are stepping up I do commend (it ain't cheap and it is very time consuming). But after seeing the talent I saw at the state championships there is absolutely no reason Arkansas volleyball can't be bigger than what it is.

moe99expedition

Attended Ozark Challenge in Fayetteville, Arkansas this past weekend and saw some good volleyball. Very impressed with Conway Juniors Team.

1-Adam-12

They have several teams in different age groups.  I saw their 17 team when they played the Velocity team that is a mix of players from Greenwood, Fort Smith and Booneville.  It was a hard fought match with Conway coming out on top in 3, 18-16 in the last.

Ozark Juniors always impresses me with their teams.  Their 16-1 is very salty.

moe99expedition

1-Adam-12

January 20, 2016, 04:45:23 pm #16 Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:48:01 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: moe99expedition on January 19, 2016, 05:08:47 pm
Salty?

Meaning very tough to beat.  They took out their own 17-1 group, then beat another one from the Tulsa area.  One of their servers can really bring it.

moe99expedition

I totally agree. They loss the championship game to a 18's team but had many opportunities during the third set to extend the lead and put it away. I am excited to see what happens when they are clicking on all cylinders. But overall there was some good Arkansas volleyball being played.

Marionvolleyballdad

If you want your team to get better you have to be willing to go to the big tournaments and play at that level.  The regional tournaments tend to have weaker teams playing in them.  The larger tournaments in cities like Louisville, Indianapolis, Atlanta and Dallas is where the best teams play.  You may not win many games but in the end your team will get better.  My daughter has played club ball for Memphis Metro Volleyball Club in Memphis for the past 6 years and they play in all the cities I listed.  We didn't win many of the games but it made the team and the girls much better and when they went back to school to play the improvement showed.  Encourage your club to play in larger tournaments and play in open because thats where the best talent is and thats where the college coaches are.

moe99expedition

I agree! Nothing can make you better than playing against better competition.

1-Adam-12

February 15, 2016, 08:28:36 pm #20 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:30:24 pm by 1-Adam-12
The top FSJ 16-U team won the top 16U bracket (there were three different 16U brackets) at a big tournament in St. Louis over the weekend, with 36 teams participating.  The team was primarily Greenwood players.

1-Adam-12

Club Velocity 17U just won a large tournament in Kansas City. This team has 3 players each from Greenwood and Booneville and two from Fort Smith.

Western Arkansas teams bringing in the hardware and improving their skills at the same time. That's what it's all about.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas