• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A 1st Round

Started by KingOfNothing, October 21, 2015, 07:13:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KingOfNothing

Below I will list all of the first round games of the 3A State Tournament. I will also state my prediction for each game. I would love for more people to get involved in this discussion and share your opinion and input. This volleyball board is way too inactive!

Paris (West 1 seed) vs. Cutter Morning Star (South 4 seed) - Paris in 3.

Green Forest (North 1 seed) vs. Harding Academy (Central 3 seed) - Green Forest in 4.

Hoxie (NE 1 seed) vs. West Fork (West 3 seed) - Hoxie in 3.

Conway Christian (Central 2 seed) vs. Jessieville (South 2 seed) - Jessieville in 5.

Episcopal (South 1 seed) vs. Bergman (North 3 seed) - Episcopal in 3.

Walnut Ridge (NE 2 seed) vs. Alpena (North 2 seed) - Walnut Ridge in 5.

Atkins (Central 1 seed) vs. Crowley's Ridge (NE 3 seed) - Atkins in 3.

Booneville (West 2 seed) vs. Lee (South 3 seed) - Booneville in 3.

1-Adam-12

Agree that Walnut Ridge/Alpena might be a very good match, as will Conway Christian/Jessieville. 

CRA might take a game from Atkins.  GF/Harding I think goes 5.

Otherwise, I think you're pretty spot on.

This for our NEA folks primarily.  What happened that CRA got the 3 over Piggott? According to MaxPreps, Piggott beat them in 3 the first time and CRA won the rematch in 4.  They finished even in the conference so I thought Piggott would get the tiebreak. Do they use a different tiebreak system in the NE?

KingOfNothing

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 21, 2015, 07:26:12 pm
Agree that Walnut Ridge/Alpena might be a very good match, as will Conway Christian/Jessieville. 

This for our NEA folks primarily.  What happened that CRA got the 3 over Piggott? According to MaxPreps, Piggott beat them in 3 the first time and CRA won the rematch in 4.  They finished even in the conference so I thought Piggott would get the tiebreak. Do they use a different tiebreak system in the NE?

I don't know the answer to your tiebreak questions, so I'm sorry I can't help you there. But I will say that last week, I would have agreed with you on the GF/Harding match going 5. However, with GF coming off the high of the run they just made in District Tourney, I think they will carry too much momentum and excitement in to this game for it to go the distance.

TheOfficial

They gave their 1 and 2 seeds a pass straight to the state tourney and had the other 5 teams play it out for 3rd.  CRA beat Piggot in 5 in the tourney to take 3rd.  Not sure why they would do this.  They either need to not have a tourney or all 7 teams need to be a part of it.

1-Adam-12

October 22, 2015, 05:36:43 am #4 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 05:43:48 am by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: TheOfficial on October 21, 2015, 11:03:15 pm

They gave their 1 and 2 seeds a pass straight to the state tourney and had the other 5 teams play it out for 3rd.  CRA beat Piggot in 5 in the tourney to take 3rd.  Not sure why they would do this.  They either need to not have a tourney or all 7 teams need to be a part of it.

Agreed.  That's how a tournament should work.  In the North, Valley Springs went from reg season champs to sitting at home for the state tournament. They did had a key injury (from what I heard) which might have had something to do with it.

In the West and Central, 1 and 2 got a bye to finals and semis respectively.  This gave a chance for 3-7 to improve their standings. West Fork went from the 6 seed to getting the 3rd spot from the west by winning three matches on the first day.

RTF

Paris in 3
Green F in 3
Hoxie in 3
Jessieville in 4
EPC in 3
WR in 4
Atkins in 4
Booneville in 3

1-Adam-12

October 23, 2015, 03:56:01 pm #6 Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:00:10 pm by 1-Adam-12
Paris in 3
GF in 5
Hoxie in 3
Jessieville in 4/5
Episcopal in 3
WR in 4/5
Atkins in 4
Booneville in 3

Looking for some great volleyball and great sportsmanship and may the best team win!

WildcatGrandpa13

I can't speak for any other team, but I've had the pleasure of watching the 23-0 Episcopal volleyball team a couple times this year, and they are ready to make some noise in the postseason. Led by senior Sally Barnes and junior Caroline Burns, I don't see what's stopping this team from winning it all. Go Cats.

1-Adam-12

Sounds like you are having quite a season to remember!

If Episcopal should win state they will certainly have earned it.  Provided they beat Bergman in round 1, likely Walnut Ridge would be the quarterfinal opponent and they are super strong defensively with some good hitters as well.  If they can pass that test Booneville might well be waiting in the semis, and they own a win over Paris this season and have won 22 themselves.

Then if ECS gets to the finals, likely Paris or Hoxie would be the opponent.  Both teams are extremely talented and will prove to be a difficult task to win against.

Good luck!

Rebel82

1-Adam-12

Bergman has won first 2 gms vs Episcopal 25-23 28-26. Had to leave before 3rd game.

Paris beats CMS 3-0. Got to meet Gate. Very passionate fan. 

1-Adam-12

Bergman has completed the upset per twitter. 25-23 28-26 11-25 31-29.

gatecrasher

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 27, 2015, 12:59:27 pm
Bergman has won first 2 gms vs Episcopal 25-23 28-26. Had to leave before 3rd game.

Good to meet you 1-Adam. Good luck with your team in the tournament

1-Adam-12

Quote from: gatecrasher on October 27, 2015, 02:56:31 pm
Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on October 27, 2015, 12:59:27 pm

Good to meet you 1-Adam. Good luck with your team in the tournament

Thank you very much Gate. Glad to see the passion with which you were rooting your team on. Best of luck to your daughter in her future exploits.

1-Adam-12

Harding Acad over Green Forest in 4
Walnut Ridge over Alpena in 4
Hoxie over West Fork in 3
Atkins over Crowleys Ridge in 4

1-Adam-12

Booneville over Marianna in 3
Conway Christian over Jessieville in 4

gatecrasher

South 0 for 4 in first round.
Episcopal losing was unreal.

RTF

Dang Episcopal lost? o well...

Paris vs HA   Paris in 3

Hoxie vs CC   Hoxie in 3

WR VS Bergman   WR in 5

Atkins vs Booneville    Booneville in 4

unfaceable

Round 2 Games:

Paris (won 3-0) vs. Harding Academy (won 3-1)

Paris in 3.

Hoxie (won 3-0) vs. Conway Christian (3-1)

Hoxie in 3.

Bergman (won 3-1) vs. Walnut Ridge (won 3-1)

Walnut Ridge in 4.

Atkins (won 3-1) vs. Booneville (won 3-0)

Booneville in 3.

I have proven that I obviously don't know anything about 3A, so these might be bad, too, but these are my guesses.

RTF

Paris won in 3

Hoxie and CC just started

RTF

Hoxie won in 3

WR and Bergman start in 30 mins

unfaceable

Round 3 Picks:

Paris over Hoxie 3-1

Atkins over Walnut Ridge 3-2

1-Adam-12

October 28, 2015, 11:00:48 pm #22 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:48:53 am by 1-Adam-12
Atkins played an amazing match tonight, the best I've seen them play.  #23 was all over the place hitting, digging, blocking, you name it.  We did not play bad at all, Atkins just played super.  If they play that way against Walnut Ridge expect a great match.

We lose our libero, one middle and two outside hitters. But we keep the other middle, an outside and all our setters. And we have a JH group coming in that won 28 games and a district title including another amazing libero. We should be just fine.

Good luck to all that remain. See yall next season.

snowhawk16

Wow, Atkins over Booneville 3-1

RTF

Paris in 4

Atkins in 4 ( if Atkins plays like they did yesterday)

RTF

Paris won in 4

Atkins vs WR in 20 mins

1-Adam-12

Per Twitter, Atkins has won first two games 27-25 and 25-23.

1-Adam-12

And Atkins has won.  26-24 in the 3rd.

That team has gotten very hot (no pun intended) at the right time.

1-Adam-12

My final 3A Top 10:

1.  Paris--Deserved champions, tremendous all-around talent, more to come
2.  Atkins--Hot at the right time, terrific player in #23 and good supporting cast
3.  Hoxie--Good team and a good future with their freshman hitter
4.  Walnut Ridge--Two strong hitters and good defense carried them
5.  Booneville--The only 3A team to beat Paris this season and will do well in 4A next year
6.  Bergman--Surprised Episcopal in 1st round and another that got hot late
7.  Conway Christian--Played well as a team, can see why they got #2 from Central
8.  Harding Academy--Lots of height and firepower, beat the #1 from the North
9.  Episcopal--Can't argue with a 1-loss team, loss came at wrong time
10. Crowley's Ridge--Came on at the end for the NE3, had Atkins on the run in 1st game

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas