• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

nea tournament

Started by elvis26, October 23, 2014, 09:47:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elvis26

:D it is time for the nea tournament to change its format so the big schools will return to the tournament. the nea tournament has not been the same since that day. I miss seeing schools like west Memphis, Blytheville ,wynne, and forrest city being in the tournament!!!!!!! lets make it happen nea committee!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarionBlueDevil

Sounds good to me. What do I need to do?

elvis26

;D I think the coaches would have to write a letter to the aaa to get the tournament exempt which means all teams would be assured of 3 games in the tournament. I think if they do this a lot of big schools would return to the tournament!!!!!!!!!

OB11

The tournament has not been as exciting the past few years.  The NEA used to be a lot bigger deal than it is now.  Which is sad to say because this tourney has some great history.     

Rayburn

What changed that big schools don't want to enter it??

ricepig

Quote from: Rayburn on November 05, 2014, 01:33:05 pm
What changed that big schools don't want to enter it??

Three game guarantee, and mostly it is old and dated with the same teams you see all year in your class.

Mr_Deb

is lr hall going to be there

elvis26

:D little rock hall does not play in the nea tournament.

Mr_Deb

little rock hall. little rock hall. little rock HALL.

Mr_Deb

Rayburn

Why is a three-game guarantee a deterrent? Most tournaments are that way because most coaches want as many games as possible. I understand not wanting to play conference teams.

ricepig

Quote from: Rayburn on November 11, 2014, 04:12:42 pm
Why is a three-game guarantee a deterrent? Most tournaments are that way because most coaches want as many games as possible. I understand not wanting to play conference teams.

Why is it a deterrent at NEA?? mostly because there are way too many teams 40+ in it. They play the girl's games on a up stairs court with limited seating, actually pretty demeaning, until the semis. Like many things, it was great at one time, but didn't change. The smaller schools still enjoy it, and it's successful, but Jonesboro and other large schools aren't going to play in it. Jonesboro will be back in the Whataburger tournament in Ft Worth again with the top teams in Texas, no comparison.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 11, 2014, 04:56:17 pm #12 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:01:15 pm by NEA Razorback olfan

The NEA Tourney is single elimination tourney, one bad night and your team is not playing anyone till after Christmas Break because you are scheduled that block of time .Most Teams want at least 3 game guarantee.

I agree with Ricepig , Jonesboro wouldn't get much of a challenge at the NEA tourney.

I always try and go watch some of the games , just to watch interesting match ups or catch teams I hear about , but don't get a chance to go watch during the season.
IE Cedar Ridge boys, they were fun to watch!

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 11, 2014, 04:56:17 pm

The NEA Tourney is single elimination tourney, one bad night and your team is not playing anyone till after Christmas Break because you are scheduled that block of time .Most Teams want at least 3 game guarantee.

I agree with Ricepig , Jonesboro wouldn't get much of a challenge at the NEA tourney.

I always try and go watch some of the games , just to watch interesting match ups or catch teams I hear about , but don't get a chance to go watch during the season.
IE Cedar Ridge boys, they were fun to watch!

Yeah, I still go out and watch to see the area teams and visit with old friends and coaches I played against in the 70's.

MarionBlueDevil

Who's in the tournament this year?

Rayburn

November 13, 2014, 09:47:46 am #15 Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:49:55 am by Rayburn
So it's a big tournament that takes a lot of time and it's NOT a three-game guarantee. Makes perfect sense. Thanks NEA for the simple and clear explanation.

ricepig

Quote from: Rayburn on November 13, 2014, 09:47:46 am
So it's a big tournament that takes a lot of time and it's NOT a three-game guarantee. Makes perfect sense. Thanks NEA for the simple and clear explanation.

Yeah, it takes about 10 days to get it all in, counting the Christmas break. I'm not so sure ASU basketball wouldn't mind if it went away, it takes their court away on many of those days.

Rayburn

I can't imagine it filling that place up anymore either. With the Canes in Fort Worth, maybe they could open up the dome, or just move it to one of the smaller schools. I'm sure by now a few of them have upgraded facilities.

ricepig

Quote from: Rayburn on November 13, 2014, 12:38:46 pm
I can't imagine it filling that place up anymore either. With the Canes in Fort Worth, maybe they could open up the dome, or just move it to one of the smaller schools. I'm sure by now a few of them have upgraded facilities.

Shoot, these small towns empty out to come to the Boro, Mom drops Dad off at the Convo and heads to the mall to Christmas shop. The finals draw a nice crowd, probably 4-5000.

Locomule

Jonesboro stopped playing in the NEA when the upper level winner played the lower level winner.  Did not like getting beat by the 2a schools.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: ricepig on November 13, 2014, 12:59:45 pm
Quote from: Rayburn on November 13, 2014, 12:38:46 pm

Shoot, these small towns empty out to come to the Boro, Mom drops Dad off at the Convo and heads to the mall to Christmas shop. The finals draw a nice crowd, probably 4-5000.

Yep, it's a long standing tradition in this area. The smaller schools love it because it's mainly there classification that will be playing . Usually 1A-2A in division 1 , and 3A-5A division 2 , or close to that. Plenty of room to walk around and visit or just watch the games.

ricepig

Quote from: Locomule on November 13, 2014, 02:30:46 pm
Jonesboro stopped playing in the NEA when the upper level winner played the lower level winner.  Did not like getting beat by the 2a schools.

Wrong, they've never done it that way. Have they been beaten by some smaller schools, you bet.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas