• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could this years NLR team be an all-time Ark HS great??

Started by tacomeat, December 02, 2013, 02:52:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tacomeat

December 02, 2013, 02:52:58 pm Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:16:12 pm by tacomeat
I thought last years squad could play w/ the best Ark HS teams I've seen (92' Parkview / the J. Johnson/Hart team). That's as far as I go back. But seeing how they handled JBO the other night & not yet being at full strength.. how good can this group be?

Frogger

DerekOxford

Quote from: tacomeat on December 02, 2013, 02:52:58 pm
I thought last years squad could play w/ the best Ark HS teams I've seen (92' Parkview / the J. Johnson/Hart J.A Fair team). I'm 37, that's as far as I go back. But seeing how they handled JBO the other night & not yet being at full strength.. how good can this group be?

LR Central, not J.A. Fair

mack

Quote from: Frogger on December 02, 2013, 02:57:11 pm
Very good and good recruiting they have done

OK, I'll tell you the same thing I told Mr. P.  If you want to spout crap like that, you need to back it up.  Recruiting is a serious matter with the AAA.  It's a serious matter to me as a NLR fan.  If you can prove that we have recruited, you need to call the AAA at 501-955-2500.
If you don't call them, that pretty much proves you are a blowhard who doesn't mind lying in public.

mack

Quote from: tacomeat on December 02, 2013, 02:52:58 pm
I thought last years squad could play w/ the best Ark HS teams I've seen (92' Parkview / the J. Johnson/Hart J.A Fair team). I'm 37, that's as far as I go back. But seeing how they handled JBO the other night & not yet being at full strength.. how good can this group be?

I go back a lot farther, but they were as good as any team I've ever seen in Arkansas.

urban legend2

I've always thought that those two teams ('92 Parkview and '99 Central) were the best two teams I'd ever seen in high school. I was actually about 13 when I first saw that Parkview team. But when NLR gets full strength, I'm confident they'll make a case to be in that all-time conversation.

ricepig

Too early to tell, they didn't look that great against Lee, Alabama on Friday night, but shot 8/8 on three's and 20/26 overall in the first half against Jonesboro, and they weren't layups.

Basketball

Quote from: mack on December 02, 2013, 03:21:51 pm

OK, I'll tell you the same thing I told Mr. P.  If you want to spout crap like that, you need to back it up.  Recruiting is a serious matter with the AAA.  It's a serious matter to me as a NLR fan.  If you can prove that we have recruited, you need to call the AAA at 501-955-2500.
If you don't call them, that pretty much proves you are a blowhard who doesn't mind lying in public.
NLR and Clarksville are outstanding recruiters. I will join the blowhard on this one!

godeep

They couldn't beat last year's NLR team let known those great teams. Don't have the depth of those other teams.

Eagle20

How about the West Memphis team with Keith Lee and Michael Cage, both NBA players.

mack

Quote from: Basketball on December 02, 2013, 09:29:26 pm

NLR and Clarksville are outstanding recruiters. I will join the blowhard on this one!

Where is your proof?  Just because you say it, we're supposed to take it as the truth? 

Quote from: mack on December 03, 2013, 09:18:06 am

Where is your proof?  Just because you say it, we're supposed to take it as the truth?

I don't think the schools recruit but it's no coincidence that these kids play AAU/summer ball together and then all transfer to the same school.

somecoach...

Think how ridiculous they wld be if monk had transferred there instead of Bentonville lol

mack

Quote from: 141571671 on December 03, 2013, 09:42:00 am

I don't think the schools recruit but it's no coincidence that these kids play AAU/summer ball together and then all transfer to the same school.

I like to grief the accusers, but I actually can understand how they could think that [even with no proof].  You'd have to live in Pulaski county to understand the insanity that is the transfer process.  Due to desegregation mandates, a  kid can go pretty much wherever he wants in Pulaski county to achieve racial balance.  They can transfer to schools that offer certain programs their 'home' school does not offer.  Anton Beard, our all-state transfer in from Parkview, has actually lived in NLR the whole time he was attending Parkview.  I'm hoping the mandate will expire soon, and kids will have to live where they play.

Your point about AAU is valid as well.  If they develop friendships in AAU, they may well want to continue playing together in high school.

Basketball

OK, I'll tell you the same thing I told Mr. P.  If you want to spout crap like that, you need to back it up.  Recruiting is a serious matter with the AAA.  It's a serious matter to me as a NLR fan.  If you
can prove that we have recruited, you need to call the AAA at 501-955-2500.

Yes u r.

mack

Quote from: Basketball on December 03, 2013, 09:42:02 pm

OK, I'll tell you the same thing I told Mr. P.  If you want to spout crap like that, you need to back it up.  Recruiting is a serious matter with the AAA.  It's a serious matter to me as a NLR fan.  If you

Yes u r.

OK Einstein.....

CoachKk

Nobody has proof of anything. I agree that kids play AAU play and then want to transfer to same school. That happened about three years with Episcopal when the Arkansas All stars team and then they all came to Episcopal. Unless you are an ESPN insider, shut up.

mack

Quote from: CoachKk on December 05, 2013, 11:24:58 am
Nobody has proof of anything. I agree that kids play AAU play and then want to transfer to same school. That happened about three years with Episcopal when the Arkansas All stars team and then they all came to Episcopal. Unless you are an ESPN insider, shut up.

;-)

BigLion10

zebradynasty

Quote from: Eagle20 on December 02, 2013, 11:36:16 pm
How about the West Memphis team with Keith Lee and Michael Cage, both NBA players.

I think that West Memphis team should be on the list. Cage was the best rebounder I've seen come out the state! I would vote for the 92' Parkview team as #1.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 05, 2013, 03:09:04 pm
Quote from: Eagle20 on December 02, 2013, 11:36:16 pm

I think that West Memphis team should be on the list. Cage was the best rebounder I've seen come out the state! I would vote for the 92' Parkview team as #1.

The 1980-1981 Blue Devils would get my vote.

ricepig

I keep forgetting about KJ Hill, if they develop chemistry, they will be up there.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2013, 10:40:06 am
I keep forgetting about KJ Hill, if they develop chemistry, they will be up there.

Hill plays basketball too? Yikes.

ricepig

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on December 06, 2013, 09:43:16 pm
Quote from: ricepig on December 06, 2013, 10:40:06 am

Hill plays basketball too? Yikes.

Yep, some aren't sure what his best sport is?

Locutus

mack

Quote from: Locutus on December 07, 2013, 10:27:36 pm
West Memphis by far the best ever.

I don't know.  Both teams would present matchup difficulties for the other. 

jr17

I don't think you blame the NLR school district for the so called "recruiting" kids are smart nowadays..  I think it's the AAU
Kids that play together in the summer, get together and say "hey, we all live in the same county, where can we all go to get a state title?"... I think its that simple

CathywithaC

Quote from: jr17 on December 08, 2013, 11:04:09 am
I don't think you blame the NLR school district for the so called "recruiting" kids are smart nowadays..  I think it's the AAU
Kids that play together in the summer, get together and say "hey, we all live in the same county, where can we all go to get a state title?"... I think its that simple
I think you hit the nail on the head.  Good programs don't have to recruit; their players do it for them by the friendships they form in the summer.

mack

Quote from: CathywithaC on December 08, 2013, 11:23:02 am
Quote from: jr17 on December 08, 2013, 11:04:09 am
I think you hit the nail on the head.  Good programs don't have to recruit; their players do it for them by the friendships they form in the summer.

Yes, all good points.  It's just my opinion that it's unfair.  A kid should live in the district they live.  That being said, I can understand why it pos some people.

jr17

I agree that its unfair.... personally I think AAU gets glorified too much.. but when you get districts that are set up like little rock where there's so many schools in that area and each school is different, you're gonna have this

And the remark about USSSA... don't even compare that too AAU... that kind of stuff doesn't happen in baseball like it does basketball...

ricepig

Quote from: jr17 on December 08, 2013, 05:30:56 pm
I agree that its unfair.... personally I think AAU gets glorified too much.. but when you get districts that are set up like little rock where there's so many schools in that area and each school is different, you're gonna have this

And the remark about USSSA... don't even compare that too AAU... that kind of stuff doesn't happen in baseball like it does basketball...

No, USSSA isn't set up to make money for someone like AAU.......... ::)

jr17

Rayburn

I'm no close friend of Johnny Rice's, but I have gotten to know him over the last 18 months or so. I've gotten to know a whole lot of coaches in my career, and while I'm certainly not above being duped, I do think I have a bit of discernment. And I do NOT think Johnny Rice is a cheater. I just don't think he's that kind of guy. He strikes me as a genuinely honest and decent person.

mack

Quote from: Rayburn on December 09, 2013, 02:18:13 pm
I'm no close friend of Johnny Rice's, but I have gotten to know him over the last 18 months or so. I've gotten to know a whole lot of coaches in my career, and while I'm certainly not above being duped, I do think I have a bit of discernment. And I do NOT think Johnny Rice is a cheater. I just don't think he's that kind of guy. He strikes me as a genuinely honest and decent person.

He's a great guy and as honest as they come.

urban legend2

Quote from: Rayburn on December 09, 2013, 02:18:13 pm
I sense that as well whenever I talk to him. Doesn't strike me as being a cheater.

Basketball13

Clarksville for sure. The Lee family was living in Springdale. Moved.. the dad works for a car dealership.. that barely sells cars and is owned by Thompson. They live next door to Thompson. And then the move in last year that is their cousin from Kansas or wherever the heck he's from. It's ridiculous.

ZoneBuster

NLR narrowly escapes a loss from 3A ECS. Beard hits game winner I believe.

zebrafan

Quote from: ZoneBuster on December 13, 2013, 12:31:30 am
NLR narrowly escapes a loss from 3A ECS. Beard hits game winner I believe.
You are correct, ECS gave them all they wanted.

urban legend2

Was at that NLR-Episcopal game. Great one to say the least. You can tell NLR is trying to find some chemistry with all of the talent that they have. They're not there yet, which is why they're relying so much on Beard and Allen. But Episcopal showed no fear, at least for the first 30 minutes of the game. They hit 13 three-pointers and played about as well as they could. Showed a lot of poise for the most part, which is why they're the No. 1 team in 3A. But with about 2 minutes left, NLR increased its defensive pressure tenfold and Episcopal wilted. They had a six-point lead with about a 1:30 left but couldn't hold on because of turnovers. Foul trouble kept the game on an even keel for the most part. Very good showing by Episcopal though. Robinson is a baller for those guys. Had he not been hurt last year, they may have beaten Harding Academy in the title game. Martin and Freeman get a lot of the acclaim but the Robinson kid is very, very good. Naturally, Allen and Beard did their thing for NLR, but foul trouble hurt them. They've got to establish some depth, too. So as of right now, the all-time talk is still a ways away.

Quote from: mack on December 04, 2013, 08:15:43 am

Yes u r.

OK Einstein.....

Lighten up Francis

cdelaney

Quote from: urban legend2 on December 13, 2013, 12:53:23 am
Was at that NLR-Episcopal game. Great one to say the least. You can tell NLR is trying to find some chemistry with all of the talent that they have. They're not there yet, which is why they're relying so much on Beard and Allen. But Episcopal showed no fear, at least for the first 30 minutes of the game. They hit 13 three-pointers and played about as well as they could. Showed a lot of poise for the most part, which is why they're the No. 1 team in 3A. But with about 2 minutes left, NLR increased its defensive pressure tenfold and Episcopal wilted. They had a six-point lead with about a 1:30 left but couldn't hold on because of turnovers. Foul trouble kept the game on an even keel for the most part. Very good showing by Episcopal though. Robinson is a baller for those guys. Had he not been hurt last year, they may have beaten Harding Academy in the title game. Martin and Freeman get a lot of the acclaim but the Robinson kid is very, very good. Naturally, Allen and Beard did their thing for NLR, but foul trouble hurt them. They've got to establish some depth, too. So as of right now, the all-time talk is still a ways away.
NLR had two really, really good players, Beard and Allen; they couldn't be stopped for the most part. And the team has great athleticism across the board.  I know it's early in the year, some of their kids have been playing football, they may not have been quite as "up" for a 3A school as they should have been, etc. But they are nowhere close to being mentioned in the same breath as some of the other great teams mentioned above. Not even in the top  10-15 of HS teams over the past 20+ years, and I don't care how many college prospects they have. Although ECS has some of the same issues mentioned above- early in the year, only 2 players on the court last night who weren't playing football 10 days ago, etc- they actually looked like an real basketball team- played well together, had some chemistry, used their offense, held their own on the boards. They lost because they  had probably 20+ turnovers which were caused by NLR's quickness and strength. NLR reminded me of those high-powered AAU teams that comes in to the big tourney in LR each Spring- lots of talent/athleticism, but don't really play good basketball, no real evidence of coaching.
I am sure they will improve, but this topic is over for now- not even close.

mack

Quote from: 24 on December 13, 2013, 08:23:41 am
Quote from: mack on December 04, 2013, 08:15:43 am

Yes u r.

OK Einstein.....

Lighten up Francis

I'll lighten up when you say something you can prove peckerwood.

mack

Quote from: cdelaney on December 13, 2013, 10:29:40 am
Quote from: urban legend2 on December 13, 2013, 12:53:23 am
NLR had two really, really good players, Beard and Allen; they couldn't be stopped for the most part. And the team has great athleticism across the board.  I know it's early in the year, some of their kids have been playing football, they may not have been quite as "up" for a 3A school as they should have been, etc. But they are nowhere close to being mentioned in the same breath as some of the other great teams mentioned above. Not even in the top  10-15 of HS teams over the past 20+ years, and I don't care how many college prospects they have. Although ECS has some of the same issues mentioned above- early in the year, only 2 players on the court last night who weren't playing football 10 days ago, etc- they actually looked like an real basketball team- played well together, had some chemistry, used their offense, held their own on the boards. They lost because they  had probably 20+ turnovers which were caused by NLR's quickness and strength. NLR reminded me of those high-powered AAU teams that comes in to the big tourney in LR each Spring- lots of talent/athleticism, but don't really play good basketball, no real evidence of coaching.
I am sure they will improve, but this topic is over for now- not even close.

We will be good, but I don't know that we'll be as good as we were last year even if the chemistry works out.  We had one specific player that was always a matchup nightmare for everybody we played. 

neds

Mack a point that haunted NLR last night was free throws. If you guys shot 50% I would be surprised

mack

Quote from: neds on December 13, 2013, 01:59:15 pm
Mack a point that haunted NLR last night was free throws. If you guys shot 50% I would be surprised

That should improve.  The chemistry thing is a toss-up.  We lost 4 really good starters that were totally unselfish, almost to a fault at times.
Couldn't go last night.  I'm begging my wife to let me go tonight..................  She wants movie night.....

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 13, 2013, 02:32:00 pm

That should improve.  The chemistry thing is a toss-up.  We lost 4 really good starters that were totally unselfish, almost to a fault at times.
Couldn't go last night.  I'm begging my wife to let me go tonight..................  She wants movie night.....

What are y'all going to see?   ;D

urban legend2

Quote from: mack on December 13, 2013, 02:32:00 pm

Had NLR hit at least 75% of its free throws, they would have won by 10. They actually missed more than half of what they took. Beard at one point missed 5 straight. But he was money when he needed to be when he had the ball in his hands. Episcopal, though, will be a fun team to watch. I'm with cdelaney on the all-time talk. NLR may get there before season's end, but they are a long way off from it.

Head Lion

Any human that thinks NLR could carry the bags of Keith Lee's, Michael Cage and Aaron Price West memphis Blue Devils team to the gym. They should not be allowed to post another statement on athletics in public, cause "they lost their freaking mind!"

redvino8

Posted by: Head Lion
« on: Today at 09:06:48 pm » Insert Quote
Any human that thinks NLR could carry the bags of Keith Lee's, Michael Cage and Aaron Price West memphis Blue Devils team to the gym. They should not be allowed to post another statement on athletics in public, cause "they lost their freaking mind!"
+1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas