• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

International High School Players

Started by bystander, September 06, 2013, 12:16:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bystander

Over the years, colleges have been bringing in international players. Now, it seems top high school and AAU teams have been adding international players in other states.

Do any of the public or private schools have top international basketball players in Arkansas?

neds

September 06, 2013, 04:51:26 pm #1 Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:34:26 pm by neds
AR Baptist had a couple of players from Africa several yrs ago when they won a state championship. Parkview had a player that was adopted and of African decent a couple of yrs ago also. Not sure on any other international players.
One of the in coming freshmen for UofA is from overseas , but had lived in MS for several yrs prior to going to prep school last year in WVA.

BigLion10

I think little rock Christian had a couple when the went to two straight title games in 03 and 04

Hoops4life

Neds, check your facts. LRCA was the school that had 2 players from Africa when they won their state championships, not Arkansas Baptist.

Brian G

Fayetteville Christian had a foreign exchange program that helped them a ton on such a lower level.  The rule changed and they no longer have the head count to field a team.

neds

My bad Hoops thanks for the correction.

bystander

Someone told me Bentonville played a school last year that had a number of international players on it from another state.

Does anyone know the name of it, or what was the score? It would be interesting to know how the kids from NWA did against a team with D1 talent.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: B.G. on September 08, 2013, 09:11:46 am
Fayetteville Christian had a foreign exchange program that helped them a ton on such a lower level.  The rule changed and they no longer have the head count to field a team.

Rule Change? Was curious what happened to Fay Christian, by the time I started following 1A they were a decent Girls team, and didn't have a boys team...but doing some research I've seen Fayetteville Christian had a lot of success the earlier part of the 2000's. And Fourche Valley the last year they were good in basketball had a Foreign Exchange student that led them to a 30-6 record...

businesstron

Quote from: bystander on September 10, 2013, 10:38:22 pm
Someone told me Bentonville played a school last year that had a number of international players on it from another state.

Does anyone know the name of it, or what was the score? It would be interesting to know how the kids from NWA did against a team with D1 talent.

Sunrise Christian Academy from Wichita or Topeka Ks I think....   They beat Bentonville 74-45. 

Sect103

Quote from: B.G. on September 08, 2013, 09:11:46 am

Yes. Their "mission" program probably cost my Alma Mater another 1A title in 2007.

Hobosguts32

Sorry to bring this topic back from the grave...

Fayetteville Christian had 3 kids from Jamaica or somewhere around there 2 years ago...I'd heard one of them is now on JBU's roster.

I also know that Southwest Christian Academy(SCA) in Little Rock also has a couple kids there, one of which happens to be Moses Kingsley's little brother. For those of you that don't know, Moses Kingsley is a Freshman for Arkansas. The kid at SCA is supposedly 6'5 ish and can ball.

Providence Academy in Rogers also has a couple of kids, not sure how good they are though. Anyone know anything new about internationals in Arkansas?

brock

The Fayetteville Christian team was known as the team that had 5 starters all from different countries.  I think they had a 7'0 footer, but the point guard from Cuba or wherever he was from was suppose to be the most talented one they had. 

gojackets14

The PG was Tehran Cox who went to UAFS for two years. Not sure where after that. I believe they had four starters from the Bahamas and the center was from Sebia. Could be wrong.

nwahog

Quote from: gojackets14 on March 03, 2014, 08:12:27 pm
The PG was Tehran Cox who went to UAFS for two years. Not sure where after that. I believe they had four starters from the Bahamas and the center was from Sebia. Could be wrong.

The Fayetteville Christian exchange program was very effective for years. Dionisio Gomez, Panama, went there and went on to be a contributor for the Hogs. He played with Simeon Hinsey, Bahamas, who went on to play at JBU.  His brother KJ, Missouri Southern, was a star at the end of their run. Cox was a stud who transferred out of UAFS to D1 High Point. There was also a 6'7 guy Judson Stubbs, Bahamas, that ended up at TCU in the early 2000s.  I know there were more, but these were some of the more dominant ones.  I actually remember Aaron McHenry choosing to go there instead of playing at Fayetteville. He eventually transferred to play with Sanchez and Rakestraw, but he put up  huge numbers at FC for a couple years.

Hobosguts32

How come none of the AAA public schools go and get any of these players? It would raise the level of NWA basketball significantly...

the.andy.davis.show

Subiaco has a sophomore from Nigeria, and a freshman from Rwanda.

BigBobB

November 24, 2014, 07:14:52 am #16 Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:01:12 am by BigBobB
They've started a "prep school" program at Southwest Christian Academy. They're loaded with international players.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas