• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Des Arc

Started by Swampdonkey, January 09, 2015, 08:38:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampdonkey

Has Des Arc voted in the new coach yet?

Loyalfan1

Pick_DA_EAGLES

January 09, 2015, 12:44:11 pm #2 Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:29:02 pm by pick_DA_EAGLES
Saw on another thread they hired drake widener. Anyone know of him?

Rabbit

Former Defensive Coordinator at Lonoke High.

wingman

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 09, 2015, 12:44:11 pm
Saw on another thread they hired drake widener. Anyone know of him?

He's from Beebe, played o-line at AR Tech. Hea been the dc at Lonoke for the past few years. He's a good guy and knows the game well. He'll make y'all a good one at Des Arc.

LC sports

Bondfan4ever

I've known Drake Widener for over 10 years and he has been waiting on this day.  He may be young, but he is well-prepared and is energetic and is a players coach.  I have no doubts that he will be successful.

Dayton Kitchens

Was the position truly ever open in good faith?

beach bum

January 10, 2015, 05:16:56 pm #8 Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 05:21:30 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on January 10, 2015, 04:31:24 pm
Was the position truly ever open in good faith?

No... I know that an assistant from Morrilton and an assistant from Prairie Grove applied and never even got an interview. The assistant from Morrilton was there for its 2013 state championship and the assistant from Prairie Grove has been a part of them making the playoffs 18 out of the last 19 years, and none of the watered down 5 seed either. Its all been as the 4 seed or better. Both of them started their careers coaching at Palestine Wheatley and know the 6-2A.... but it looks like Des Arc just had their guy picked from the get go. I bet he is a fine young coach but they obviously just picked their coach without really interviewing seriously because of being well known from right down the road from his days in Beebe and Lonoke. I am realizing coaching is a lot like other industries. Its who you know.

wingman

I know they interviewed five different people, but not sure who all they were. I feel like they believe Widener will be here for a while since he has some roots in the area. They're getting tired of hiring a new coach every 2 to 3 years.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: wingman on January 10, 2015, 05:59:26 pm
I know they interviewed five different people, but not sure who all they were. I feel like they believe Widener will be here for a while since he has some roots in the area. They're getting tired of hiring a new coach every 2 to 3 years.

The 2-3 year turnover of coaches will continue as long as the team has success.

An older coach who has been around the block, so to speak, would be the best bet for a long term coach.

Here is a scenario that would pull Widener away from des arc, say he has some good success, and Beebe needed a new coach, he would be gone in a heartbeat, not that I would blame him, but that's a scenario that would take him away from des arc.

Wilson

First off very few coaching or even administration positions are what you would consider a truly open and honest search these days in smaler school districts in Arkansas .   you have to get into higher classifications and larger independent school districts before you get into that. .and then there is still some back room dealings going on. . not a small school large school issue . . its more of a culture issue

Dayton Kitchens

In a way I wish there was a change in the law (or regulation) for schools that if they wanted to hire someone in particular for a position they could simply do it and not advertise an open position.    Don't waste everyone's time if their mind is already made up.   

I think the only way a school can be exempt now from announcing an open position is if they are promoting from within.

Lions84

Quote from: Wilson on January 10, 2015, 09:35:31 pm
First off very few coaching or even administration positions are what you would consider a truly open and honest search these days in smaler school districts in Arkansas .   you have to get into higher classifications and larger independent school districts before you get into that. .and then there is still some back room dealings going on. . not a small school large school issue . . its more of a culture issue

Wilson is correct.

XFalkonz

I was one of the counselors for his floor when he attended the Houston Nutt camps way back when. He was a great kid and seems to have grown into a fine young man. I coached at NP so when we played His high school in anything I would always give him a shout out. Congrats to the young man and good luck to him.

Lions84

Best of Luck to DA and their new Coach.

RiverEagle079

I dont know much about this guy but he will be interesting he is serious about his lineman according to one of the junior high lineman. Hopefully the size will get better then we would be in buisness.

Loyalfan1

New guy started yet?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

jbtiger73

just wondering what style of offense he's gonna bring. maybe he'll continue with the double wing or some variation of it. don't really know what kind of athletes DA is gonna have next season or who's coming back. I know they ran the spread in Lonoke. does DA have the athletes to run that offense at a consistent basis?

LCC

Power run game. Under center.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: jbtiger73 on February 11, 2015, 12:03:57 pm
just wondering what style of offense he's gonna bring. maybe he'll continue with the double wing or some variation of it. don't really know what kind of athletes DA is gonna have next season or who's coming back. I know they ran the spread in Lonoke. does DA have the athletes to run that offense at a consistent basis?

No we do not have the athletes to run the spread. Heck, we don't have many what I would call "athletes" at all. We have kids with heart and the want to. But sometimes I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have that type of kid to a certain extent, instead of kids who have the ability, but not the heart or want to.

jbtiger73

yea, I believe if Prescott was still there, then it definitely wouldn't be a secret what DA will do. plus the familiar system would be easy for the kids to continue. DA had plenty of success last season despite losing a talented sr class from a state runner-up team from a year ago. do you guys lose a lot from this past year's team? what's the outlook?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: jbtiger73 on February 11, 2015, 03:49:10 pm
yea, I believe if Prescott was still there, then it definitely wouldn't be a secret what DA will do. plus the familiar system would be easy for the kids to continue. DA had plenty of success last season despite losing a talented sr class from a state runner-up team from a year ago. do you guys lose a lot from this past year's team? what's the outlook?

We lose 5 Sr's, but I think they all played both ways and were pretty important. We have some nice players returning, not sure how we will be.

Lions84

Quote from: Wilson on January 10, 2015, 09:35:31 pm

That is the TRUTH!

Loyalfan1

How is spring ball going?

Lions84

Good Luck to the Greenies as they hit those summer workouts.

AmSycho

How many coaches do they have returning from last season? I know they replaced the head coach in the spring. Anyone left on Prescott's staff from last fall?

RiverEagle079

Im not shure i'm going to a junior high workout Tuesday ill try and find out.  I like this new coach he is on the line hard got my cousin to increase his max buy 65lbs bench 100 lbs squat and 50lbs pc in just 4 months if the kid is telling the truth it will all come out Tuesday.

RiverEagle079

HorseFeathers

Bold Prediction....Des Arc misses the playoffs..

RiverEagle079

LOL wow HF that stings a little.  I understand this is a rebuilding year but to miss the playoffs will be a hard pill to swallow

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RiverEagle079 on June 26, 2015, 04:46:43 pm
LOL wow HF that stings a little.  I understand this is a rebuilding year but to miss the playoffs will be a hard pill to swallow

Marvell plays you within 10 points too...

RiverEagle079

I don't think Marvell plays the junior high within ten but I guess Des Arc is dead as far as posters now.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HF on June 26, 2015, 04:42:22 pm

Whew,  glad everything is planted at the farm.

HF, where did that come from? Even when we have had a bad team, we still make the playoffs. I say we finish top 3.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on June 27, 2015, 09:32:41 am
Quote from: HF on June 26, 2015, 04:42:22 pm

Whew,  glad everything is planted at the farm.

HF, where did that come from? Even when we have had a bad team, we still make the playoffs. I say we finish top 3.
Trying to lure out those that lurk around here.....But it didn't work

RiverEagle079

Guess its just me and pick

Lions84

The Greenies will go to the Playoffs.

oldhippie

Shout out to Pick and 84 , this is Bleedgreen!  I kinda moved outta state and don't know squat about what is going on at Eagle field.  But I'm still on here.  Love my Eagles no matter what. 

RiverEagle079

http://www.fox16.com/sports/story/d/story/fearless-40-des-arc/36701/8IP3bzZhQ0qkltRiODEwmA

285lbs average across front line to put that into perspective last year the Sun Belt conference averaged 298.6 pounds on the line.  I can see if these boys play hard all the running backs have to do is get behind that line of Tanks and should get 6 to 10 yards per play

oldhippie

Thanks River loved it.  Sounds like the new coach is very confident of his kids. 

RiverEagle079

Yup they will be alright this year

oldhippie

If the biguns play tough it should make the power game pretty easy.  I never count out them boys that drink that white River water.
8)

purpleswag

That's one thing about Des Arc that scares me every year! They grow them big in that town

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: purpleswag on August 01, 2015, 06:05:12 am
That's one thing about Des Arc that scares me every year! They grow them big in that town

We have a couple kids with some speed this year too.

oldhippie

August 04, 2015, 12:54:23 am #45 Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:07:27 am by oldhippie
Sounds like the Eagles might be in the sneak up and bite you mode. Been reading and others are kind of counting them out.  If the new coach is as good with the big fellers as I hear and if Pick is right about speed.  Might be they are better than expected.  But I don't care as long as they play like Eagles. The combined record against teams they play this year is 66-18-0.  After I got sick and couldn't go to games and then moved outta state I have lost track. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: oldhippie on August 04, 2015, 12:54:23 am
Sounds like the Eagles might be in the sneak up and bite you mode. Been reading and others are kind of counting them out.  If the new coach is as good with the big fellers as I hear and if Pick is right about speed.  Might be they are better than expected.  But I don't care as long as they play like Eagles. The combined record against teams they play this year is 66-18-0.  After I got sick and couldn't go to games and then moved outta state I have lost track. 

Whos counting them out? The fans may be... but most of the experts have them I  the upper half of the top ten...

Pick_DA_EAGLES

The top of the 6 is STACKED this year, McCrory, hazen, or des arc could  be in the title game at the end of the year. It will not be a good playoff draw to get any of the teams from the 6 again this year.

purpleswag

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on August 04, 2015, 12:02:50 pm
The top of the 6 is STACKED this year, McCrory, hazen, or des arc could  be in the title game at the end of the year. It will not be a good playoff draw to get any of the teams from the 6 again this year.

That Rogo kid scares the crap out of me. And I wouldn't sleep on Brinkley either

oldhippie

Quote from: HF on August 04, 2015, 05:35:38 am
Quote from: oldhippie on August 04, 2015, 12:54:23 am

Whos counting them out? The fans may be... but most of the experts have them I  the upper half of the top ten...
I have no idea who is on the team.  Hard to keep in in Lower Arkansas, all I can hear is LSU, but my heart is still in good ole DA.  HF I followed the Eagles when they were not so good sat in the stands and cheered my butt off for them.  If I were in DA I would be up in the stands hollering.  I don't care if they good or bad long as they play like EAGLES. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas