• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mitch/Gus Thread Heap All new thread will end up here.

Started by RGP, January 14, 2007, 11:24:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you believe is the closest factual reason for Gus's departure?

Gus & Houston just didn't get along
10 (10.5%)
Gus is simply climbing(though debatable) the ladder
7 (7.4%)
Houston "misrepresented" to Gus his responsiblities
25 (26.3%)
Gus was told the truth, but failed to impact like he wanted
5 (5.3%)
Houston fired Gus
3 (3.2%)
It just wasn't going to work, differences to significant
13 (13.7%)
Houston is completely at fault
32 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: January 25, 2007, 02:53:24 pm

invictus

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 02:33:25 pm
fbhound, are you from Springdale by chance? Things dont go in YOUR favor and you quit. I am looking for the day when all the quiters are gone. I bet the U of A will survive without you buddy!

Exactly. I'm renewing my Broyles-Mathews money this year (would have done it no matter who the coaches are/arent). I haven't been giving for 40+ years so maybe I'll have a better chance to move up in seating with fbhound gone. The Razorback program has survived many challenges in its history (losing a coach one year out of HS doesn't count as a big challenge to me) and it will survive this one. Say what you want about Coach Broyles, but he is one of, if not the most, respected AD's among his peers. Yes, maybe he micomanages a little too much at time, but just walk around the campus and look at the facilities that have been built in his tenure. We are second to nobody. That includes baseball, track, basketball, football and on an on. If fbhound doen't attend the games next year, I can almost assure you that there will be someone there to buy his seat. Ten wins, a possible Heisman Trophy and three or four first team all-Americans are a real possibility. We had those before Malzahn came and we will have them after he is gone.

not ray

This is just something that had to happen.  It was a forced marriage to begin with.  I have said it before and I am saying it again.  There is not one man worth his salt that would have allowed Gus to come in and take things over when he was forced on the boss.  Anyone who in their given job would allow that to happen just is not much of a man.  Now I think that the reason that  Houston was in this spot to begin with is because he had a lack of backbone when he first got to Arkansas.  Many firings and hirings have been done by phone and an inability to look certain men in the face when he fired them.  That is just part of the game.  But like I said.  No way in hades are you bringing in the high school book writing pass expert and one uping me.  I'll burn him at every turn because I AM THE BOSS. 

not ray

Did anyone else hear about the moon landing?  Or was that just a cover up also?

RGP

http://www.5newsonline.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1173248&h1=VIDEO%3A%205Sports%20Director%20Mike%20Irwin%20comments%20about%20Malzahn%20leaving%20Arkansas.&vt1=v&at1=Sport&d1=149033&LaunchPageAdTag=Homepage&activePane=info&playerVersion=9&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.5newsonline.com/&rnd=44609926
This is all I have right now on what the big time media has to say about it. Can't wait to hear what Chuck and Shaeffer have to say...

RisonRacingFan

There is "speculation" that Malzahn was fired and that the U of A already has a replacement in David Lee

Forked Tongue

Lets see where everyone stands.

With me, this is a lot more complex than any of us will ever know.  Everyone "knows" this and "knows that", but in reality we know very little.  This was evident in how quickly Gus managed to take a job before most even knew that he was looking or the opportunity presented itself.  Just last week, he said all the proper things and appeared to be satisfied/content/happy with his comments.  Now he's gone.

If you have a better reasonable option.  Simply post it.  Try to be civil and limit your comments to a paragraph without straying to long speculations.

RD™

HOUSTON NUTT STATEMENT ON GUS MALZAHN'S HIRING AT THE UNIVERSITY OF TULSA

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Arkansas offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Gus Malzahn was announced as the new assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at the University of Tulsa on Monday morning. Arkansas head coach Houston Nutt was out of town recruiting on Monday, but issued this brief statement regarding Malzahn's hiring at Tulsa.

"Gus Malzahn has resigned his position at the University of Arkansas to become the assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at the University of Tulsa. We are very appreciative of the many contributions Gus made to our staff and to our program during his tenure with the Razorbacks. In his first season as a coach at the collegiate level, he was an integral part of a team that won 10 games and won an SEC Western Division championship. I wish him nothing but the best both personally and professionally as he takes on his new role."

RGP

I started a thread with that link a couple of minutes ago

fbhound

fbhound, are you from Springdale by chance? Things dont go in YOUR favor and you quit. I am looking for the day when all the quiters are gone. I bet the U of A will survive without you buddy!
Off base by a mile. I am in north central AR ole' buddy.
And the way YOU talk you are definitely slanted toward the Razorbacks as if nothing done on the "Hill" is wrong. My opinion is shared by 90% of the "fans" out there, based on talk shows and on-line chat rooms today. Many are fans who are just finally FED UP with accepting the excuses given by others (the minority).
Now, you played at the U of A.. Great for you. I played at an SEC school but was born and raised in AR, just got to walk on and play for a fine academic school. I am qualified to criticize, being a citizen of this state all my life and being a contributor to the U of A, not my old college where I first started my vocational training... I graduated from the U of A with a PhD.  So, I am not from Springdale, do not particularly like Malzahn per se but do NOT like what has happened to the U of A sports programs with Broyles at the helm. To the vast majority of us, enough is enough and it's my money to support with or not.
   Having said that, are you Houston Nutt or some coach up there?!! Sure sounds like it. Bet you live a block from the stadium ...

not ray

There was always speculation that the whole "Moon landing" was done on a sound stage in LA.  So what does everyone else think.  Or should I just attach my posts here to the other threads about this topic?

7AFBFAN

fbhound, you are correct in that it is your money and you can criticize. I am not a large Houston Nutt fan over the years but can find no blame in him for this one. The whole perceived atmosphere created after the Springdale group meeting makes me sour on anything having to do with Springdale at the U of A. I would disagree in that 90% of the fans are disgusted with the Razorbacks. I feel like 90% are ecstatic over the 10 wins this year and the other 10% would be unhappy regardless. Contrary to popular belief 90% of fans are not voiced on this or any message board. 

not ray

A large percent of the people that frequent the message boards and call in to the radio shows are likely fed up, but they make a very minor part of the entire fan base.

RGP

Quote from: CASPER on January 15, 2007, 03:11:33 pm
FIRE NUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your a little late, tiger.

C_A_Morris

R. A.™

January 15, 2007, 03:14:56 pm #165 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:22:39 pm by R. A.™
I can't believe this, I just can't believe it, what is the connection with Gus and the HC to be named Assistant HC and Co-OC?

Good Luck to Gus and the Family

Gus I hope you know what you are doing!!

Forked Tongue

January 15, 2007, 03:14:58 pm #166 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:19:31 pm by Forked Tongue
This stuff is simply starting to get old.  Whether you are Nutt lover or a Nutt basher, this last year has simply been bizarre.  From the recruiting frenzy of the SD gang to the rocky season opener to the exciting mid-season run to the disappointing end to the reg season to the parent meeting with JFB to DW's departure and subsequent speculation to a bowl game loss to Gus's departure, it's been a roller coaster that Disney World would be proud to have in it's theme park.  It was a solid warning signal when many fans were not enjoying the success during the season.  The QB debate and other basically trivial issues created unrest and destroyed what should have been a really enjoyable season.

Shame on all of us!  Our collective chatroom banter and call-in radio talk shows have created a monster that gobbles up everything in it's path.  There are very few good days.  The negativity and speculation that has engulfed every single aspect of the daily workings within and around the football program is simply ridiculous.

Blame Nutt. Blame Gus. Blame Beck.  Blame Frank.  Blame FF.  Blame Drivetime Sports.  Blame Springdale.  Blame your next door neighbor's best friends girl friends dad's boss.  But above all, blame ourselves.  We have created this mess.  Big plus to HN and GM for keeping their private issues out of the public eye.  Shame on me for posting this!

fbhound

January 15, 2007, 03:20:17 pm #167 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 09:31:47 pm by fbhound
Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 03:08:05 pm
The whole perceived atmosphere created after the Springdale group meeting makes me sour on anything having to do with Springdale at the U of A. I would disagree in that 90% of the fans are disgusted with the Razorbacks. I feel like 90% are ecstatic over the 10 wins this year and the other 10% would be unhappy regardless. Contrary to popular belief 90% of fans are not voiced on this or any message board. 
BUT, you forget we should have won at least two of those final 3 games (I was at all three) and THAT would have been something to be proud of!
Ecstatic is not what I feel after those last 3 losses, mostly due to a non functional passing attack and not the fault of Fish for the punt fumble. Which brings up another coach that needs to go, the special teams director general, Shibest. How many consecutive games do we need a punt blocked before we cover correctly? Who ever heard of a center snapper grabbing a face mask at a critical time?  This year, after being GIVEN two games at Vandy and here against AL, should have been 12-2 at worst. Just a play here and play there (as Nutt said) could have made a difference.. Well you can say that about almost ANY game where you lose by < 7 points (LSU and Wisconsin)..
It is not what we did as much as what we SHOULD have done, given to close games... Run 3 and punt. Sound familiar Frank?

invictus

Quote from: S.D. Jones on January 15, 2007, 03:09:33 pm
A large percent of the people that frequent the message boards and call in to the radio shows are likely fed up, but they make a very minor part of the entire fan base.

I very much agree. I had a political consultant tell me once that 10% of the people love you no matter what, 10% hate you and the other 80% are just along for the ride. If 90% of the fans are fed up for real, the stands will be empty next year because Coach Broyles will still be AD and Coach Nutt will still be the head coach on the way to another 10 win season. If fbhound is right, there will be some great seats up for grabs! I'll be first in line.

Garo

My thought is this...you don't want to be a team player...good luck on your future.  Don't care where any of em go.  Good riddance!!

R. A.™

I will be first in line to grab any great seats that come up available also!!!

7AFBFAN

fbhound, I am starting to agree with you! However, I do not see where it is time to drop support for the Razorbacks over a season where they won the SEC West. If we dont win the SEC West and the overall SEC championship next year then maybe it is time to back up and re-evaluate things.

Forked Tongue

January 15, 2007, 03:27:17 pm #172 Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:37:54 pm by Forked Tongue
Who is Malzahn?

RD™

Quote from: busta on January 15, 2007, 02:45:15 pm
Is this a cover up move, a firing of the Offensive Coordinator, or a legitimate shot at another coaching job?
Idiot.

fbhound

Forked Tongue:  You give me $1.35 million a year and you deserve to attack anything I do, any play I call, any loss etc. That is the price I would have to pay and my skin would just have to be thick..  You think Nutt does not read these boards? Yea right.... and he did not read "the book" before it hit the stands? I know for a fact that he knew the contents the week Mitch was yanked that night at South Carolina. Watch Nutt's interviews. He hardly ever makes direct eye contact with the interviewer who asked the question, looks to the side more than directly at him. And answers with short, non configured sentences, two or three word comments etc. "hear that", " just do more, do more", "keep gettin' better".. I wish he could interview better. Why did they not interview him at the Heisman Awards? They did talk to the other 2-3 coaches, even McFadden's mom...
I agree the threads have had a flurry of activity today. Time to cool down the computer.

not ray

So what about the moon landing?  Any word on that yet today?

fbhound

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 03:25:14 pm
fbhound, I am starting to agree with you! However, I do not see where it is time to drop support for the Razorbacks over a season where they won the SEC West. If we dont win the SEC West and the overall SEC championship next year then maybe it is time to back up and re-evaluate things.
I agree. Tomorrow I will wake up in a cold sweat wondering how to get my seats back. Maybe we all need to take a long breath and listen to Rick and Drive Time and The Huddle to get our minds straight again.. Thanks for the slap.

RisonRacingFan

David Lee..He is with the Dallas Cowboys and is actually the one who taught Mitch how to QB.

Forked Tongue

Quote from: fbhound on January 15, 2007, 03:31:06 pm
Forked Tongue:  You give me $1.35 million a year and you deserve to attack anything I do, any play I call, any loss etc. That is the price I would have to pay and my skin would just have to be thick..  You think Nutt does not read these boards? Yea right.... and he did not read "the book" before it hit the stands? I know for a fact that he knew the contents the week Mitch was yanked that night at South Carolina. Watch Nutt's interviews. He hardly ever makes direct eye contact with the interviewer who asked the question, looks to the side more than directly at him. And answers with short, non configured sentences, two or three word comments etc. "hear that", " just do more, do more", "keep gettin' better".. I wish he could interview better. Why did they not interview him at the Heisman Awards? They did talk to the other 2-3 coaches, even McFadden's mom...
I agree the threads have had a flurry of activity today. Time to cool down the computer.
I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with you.  No one is totally right here.  This point on point argument is futile.  I think this cuts both ways.  Somewhere in the middle lies the truth. 

Note: Nutt was late to the Heisman awards. There was a death in his family.  I think it was nice the focus was on his player and his mother.

ARKANSAS

Quote from: invictus on January 15, 2007, 02:04:36 pm
Quote from: wheeels on January 15, 2007, 01:33:37 pm
Gus said earlier that he was the person calling the plays but he must have said it to keep the lions away. I dont think you leave Arkansas for Tulsa if you are in complete control of Arkansas offense. Will be interesting to see what happens next and which players and recruits transfer to another school.

I don't see many players (especially any of quality) leaving the U of A to follow Malzahn to Tulsa. He has taken a step down so why would a player who has a chance to play in the SEC. I don't think we will lose any recruits as well. Again, why play for a mid-major when you have a chance to play in the SEC. As was readily apparent this year, the SEC is the premier football conference in America. If you can play there, you have to be a top level player. I believe Malzahn was a pleasant surprise. Quite frankly, I never expected him to succeed after making such a big jump. I think he did well, though I do believe that he was somewhat over his head in the SEC. Like Mustain, I believe he was surprised by the quickness of the players. I'm sure that Coach Nutt and Coach Woods called a good portion of the plays. They had the experience at that level and I don't think our success would have been as good if Malzahn had been left alone to call all plays.
I see those loyal to Gus going but you're correct, not many will leave to the Arkansas to go to Tulsa.  However, there are many more schools, dang good ones, in the SEC other than Arkansas.  Is it that much of a stretch to leave the Circus on the hill to go play for Nick Saban at Alabama, the National Champion Florida Gators, LSU etc..?  You loyal Hog fans have what you want, it's back the way it was before Gus, Damien etc.. screwed things up.  It's back to Frank/Nutts football.  Back to good old Hog ball.  You should be happy. 

Forked Tongue

Quote from: Rison Tradition on January 15, 2007, 03:33:22 pm
David Lee..He is with the Dallas Cowboys and is actually the one who taught Mitch how to QB.

RT.. I was being sarcastic about the title of the thread.  I changed the post to relect it more accurately.  I know who David Lee is!  Thanks for responsing though.

ARKANSAS

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 02:11:40 pm
SCS = SHILOH CHRISTIAN SAINTS. No wonder you hate the Razorbacks and love Gus. Gus made Shiloh. I can't remember but were they playing in 1A or 2A when Gus was there? He did a great job and won several state championships. He did such a great job that he was promoted the big high school in town. Did he win one or two state championships there? I dont recall. The national press? Wasn't that Matt Jones when he was here and McFadden now? The only thing the Springdale connection did for the U of A was make it a laughing stock for a week when momma and her whiny boy cried to Broyles. What a joke!
The Shiloh bashing is on the 3A board.  Come on over, lots of room and no waiting.  I'm not a Gus lover (that sounded bad) as much as Nutt hater.  You Hog fans have what you want.  Gus, Damien and most likely Mitch soon out of the way.  Sorry they screwed up the UofA.  It's back to the way all of you like it.  Frank B calling the shots, Houston Nutts embarrassing himself with the band when they win one they shouldn't have.  It's good ole Hog ball.  Enjoy.

Forked Tongue

ARKANSAS

Quote from: invictus on January 15, 2007, 02:46:30 pm

Exactly. I'm renewing my Broyles-Mathews money this year (would have done it no matter who the coaches are/arent). I haven't been giving for 40+ years so maybe I'll have a better chance to move up in seating with fbhound gone. The Razorback program has survived many challenges in its history (losing a coach one year out of HS doesn't count as a big challenge to me) and it will survive this one. Say what you want about Coach Broyles, but he is one of, if not the most, respected AD's among his peers. Yes, maybe he micomanages a little too much at time, but just walk around the campus and look at the facilities that have been built in his tenure. We are second to nobody. That includes baseball, track, basketball, football and on an on. If fbhound doen't attend the games next year, I can almost assure you that there will be someone there to buy his seat. Ten wins, a possible Heisman Trophy and three or four first team all-Americans are a real possibility. We had those before Malzahn came and we will have them after he is gone.
?????  Broyles respected amongst his peers?  Just who do you consider his peers?  You can't be talking about his peers at the other top 25 schools.  PLEASE.  He needs to go.  Great man, maybe I don't know him.  Great career, I'll even give him that.  A great, present day AD?  Amongst his peer set?  Come on.

7AFBFAN

SCS, I will enjoy every single win we get at the U of A. In case your Saints have an off year one of these days or even 10 for that matter please remember you are a fan of the program and not an individual or particular team.

Garo

Anyone else get the feeling all that Springdale group are self serving idiots?

RD™

ARKANSAS

Quote from: fbhound on January 15, 2007, 03:31:06 pm
Houston can't read.  The person that cuts up Frank B's food puts the articles into pictures for both of them.     

Forked Tongue

I would show Wood the door off what we saw this year.

Father Guido

Quote from: Garo on January 15, 2007, 03:54:11 pm

Maybe.  But I think more than anything, this confirms that Nutt is unwilling to let go of the offense and that he lied to Gus to get him there in the first place just so the U of A might land some quality athletes that otherwise they had no shot at.

ARKANSAS

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 03:49:50 pm
SCS, I will enjoy every single win we get at the U of A. In case your Saints have an off year one of these days or even 10 for that matter please remember you are a fan of the program and not an individual or particular team.
Fair enough.  The sad part is this area of country has approx. 1000 new families a week moving in.  Benton County Arkansas is the fastest growing county in the US.  Do you think those people coming in could be potential fans?  Do you think many of them, someday, might look to the U of A for their kids?  You will always be a fan, you must be an alum.  That's great.  Through thick and thin, I get it.  However, for Arkansas to be a nationally recognized program it needs more than the alum to like them.  How many Gator fans are there today that have never been to the State of Florda?  Need we talk about the national following for Notre Dame.  Notre Dame has 9,600 students so that alum base isn't growing each year.  And there isn't 1000 people a week moving to South Bend.  What about Ohio State, LSU etc..  This little soap opera in Fayetteville is embarrassing for the U of A, Houston Nutts, NW Arkansas etc..  It just goes to show the "small time" workings at the U of A.
Gus leaving won't have an impact on the football program as much as the soap opera of all of this.  Remember, there was a soap opera before Gus even got here as well.  CLEAN HOUSE.   

olddog79

Quote from: Garo on January 15, 2007, 03:54:11 pm
that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with...

Don't be afraid to use a little thought now and then.

not ray

Maybe if Arkansas was the leading Catholic college in America they could gain the same type of recognition as Notre Dame.  No school compares to them.

7AFBFAN

SCS, I would have cleaned house the year we lost to Vanderbilt in Fayetteville after running the same running play 4 times in a row. Not today based on Gus leaving, dissatisfied Springdale guys, along with posting a 10 win season.

Father Guido

I think the only reason Nutt hired Gus to begin with was so the U of A might land some requits that they would not have gotten otherwise.  You won't hear it from Gus.  He is too classy a guy to go that route, but this move, to me, confirms what has been pretty obvious all year.  Nutt's ego won't let him stay out of the offense.  If you hire a guy to do a job, you should get out of the way and let him do that job.

I hope that the bridges haven't been completely burned, so that maybe someday, when Frank and HDN are gone, Gus could come back.  Of course, he may be too old by that time.

ARKANSAS

Quote from: S.D. Jones on January 15, 2007, 04:07:48 pm
Maybe if Arkansas was the leading Catholic college in America they could gain the same type of recognition as Notre Dame.  No school compares to them.
Fair.  So who does Arkansas compare to on the national stage?  I say, you'll hate me.  Rutgers, West Virginia, Boise State, Utah, Cincy etc..  Good programs, regionally, that have a few years just around the top but NOT there.  Please don't have this question/response bring out the Notre Dame haters.  I realize they need help on the team and this is to compare the NATIONAL following/support of a team. 

In two years most people we be back to saying "where is Rutgers located at"?  Just like two years ago.  The good news is it's the Arkansas Razorbacks and not the F-ville Razorbacks so in two years people won't forget where they're located.

Forked Tongue

"requits" miskey?  Freudian slip?  or just an accident?  I like it though.

ARKANSAS

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on January 15, 2007, 04:10:14 pm
SCS, I would have cleaned house the year we lost to Vanderbilt in Fayetteville after running the same running play 4 times in a row. Not today based on Gus leaving, dissatisfied Springdale guys, along with posting a 10 win season.
We finally agree.  It's bigger than Gus.  Involving Gus just drags in MANY local, non-Alum fan fence riders.  The fish stinks from the head down.  Frank B is the head of the fish.

7AFBFAN

SCS, I had the privilege to meet an Ohio State fan early on this football season. Now they take football serious in that part of the country. To your surprise he knew all about the Razorbacks including Fayetteville. We are not a well known program like Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, or USC, but I guarantee you we are a level above Rutgers, Boise State, and the teams you mentioned. More people than you know remember the years Matt Jones made all his unbelievable plays.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas