• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public & Private School Issues Merged Thread (2009)

Started by football_writer, August 01, 2006, 02:59:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True/False  Public Students must attend the HS in their district?

True
3 (8.1%)
False
34 (91.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

johnharrison

No, you look at the last 3 seasons.  Are any teams in non-competitive situations.

Any team that is 30 - 0 is poorly matched.  Same for a team  that is 0 - 30.  Yeah it would be a little slap in the face to get demoted (relegated as it is known in Europe)  but the best teams ought to be playing each other.

Quite Frankly

A public school should not be altered by how a public school does.  Heck, a team might have a stud group coming up from 9th grade and another might have lost their entire backfield.

I fail to see how a kid just moving up to high school should have his scheduled affected by the results of another team 100 miles away that won X number of games 3 years ago.

johnharrison

You are right, just do it on the basis on 1 or 2 students that move in and out 100 miles away.

Quite Frankly

The enrollment is the enrollment.  Your class size will determine YOUR classification and conference. 

Look at it this way, what if in your example a team goes 0-30 in your example but the rising 9th graders went 20-0 their past two seasons?  You going to move a team down that was successful in their own games against their own age group?

How are you going to have different school teams in different conferences so often?  It alters other sports and your junior high.

Doesn't fly.

johnharrison

Don't think Robinson and Crossett and Huntsville and Arkadelphia  don't watch those enrollment numbers.  I guess it makes sense to you that if there is a five student change a 9 - 2 team drops down while a 1 - 10 team moves up.  Why in the world should enrollment be the ONLY criterion.

Soccer and Volleyball and Basketball conferences seem very different form Football.  Doesn't cause much problem.

(Oh, enrollment only determines Class, not conference.

Quite Frankly

Enrollment numbers are what they are and the sole reason we have 7 classifications right now.  Obviously someone thinks that's an indicator.  If schools manipulate them then that's on them.  You're too hung up on records each year determining future performance.

You also can't compare teams so uniformally.  Going 5-5 in one conference doesn't mean you'll go 5-5 in another.  You seem to have some idealogy that simply playing new oppone ts fixes things.

It's absurd to think Local Tech going 10-20 over a 3-yr sequence being dropped to another conference(and thus forcing one up) determines their future with players that have not even played yet.

You keep coming back to sarcasm, but you simply can't get your theorem to bear fruit.

All that's not to mention how key injuries would falsify strength.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: johnharrison on April 28, 2009, 05:20:50 pm
Really?  ::)  Actually it does both things.

TwoMinuteOffense

Should'nt this have been brought up last year after the Glen Rose game. It's pretty much the same Shiloh team as then. Just matured some.  It seems to be ok to play private schools when the private schools lose but not when they win.

PGTIGERS09

Quote from: QF© on April 28, 2009, 06:04:56 pm
Enrollment numbers are what they are and the sole reason we have 7 classifications right now.  Obviously someone thinks that's an indicator.  If schools manipulate them then that's on them.  You're too hung up on records each year determining future performance.

You also can't compare teams so uniformally.  Going 5-5 in one conference doesn't mean you'll go 5-5 in another.  You seem to have some idealogy that simply playing new oppone ts fixes things.

It's absurd to think Local Tech going 10-20 over a 3-yr sequence being dropped to another conference(and thus forcing one up) determines their future with players that have not even played yet.

You keep coming back to sarcasm, but you simply can't get your theorem to bear fruit.

if enrollment numbers is what we are looking  at then shiloh maybe 2A.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: PGTIGERS09 on April 28, 2009, 08:27:25 pm
Quote from: QF© on April 28, 2009, 06:04:56 pm

if enrollment numbers is what we are looking  at then shiloh maybe 2A.

Try harder to keep up. 

AAAspectator

The AAA should do like Louisiana did to stop Evangel; make them play within their classification. Shiloh is a 2A based on AAA enrollment. How long would "the family" and "boosters" chest thump about 9 consecutive AA championships. Kids would stop coming to play a better brand. Evangel dropped off for a while, a competitor opened.

DT

Quote from: fourpeat on April 28, 2009, 08:35:48 am
I couldn't care less about what Shiloh did this year.  I've been one of the "whiners" for years about private schools not needing to be in the playoffs with public schools.  I "whined" about it 14 years ago when Shiloh started putting "district-line-bounded" public schools  out of the playoffs, ending their seasons.  CAC, PA and HA continued with the onslaught in the early 2000's.  I was labeled a "whiner" then, and made predictions about what the trend was going to be; privates would gradually take over high school football in Arkansas unless the AAA did something about it.  Now, hopefully, they will follow through with this action.  Junction City, Greenwood, Nashville, Dollarway, Prescott, West Helena and a few others have all been "robbed" of state championships by private school All-Star teams.  Now is the time to take action.

To say that private schools have robbed titles from public schools is a slap in the face to the players, coaches, parents, and schools. I went to a private school and was fortunate to win a state title my senior year. Our class was full of talent. Several went on to play D1 football and one is now in the NFL. But we did not go out and buy talent like you have accused private schools of doing. Most of the guys on our team had been at the school since elementary school. The hard work we put in was what enabled us to be successful, not money or cheating.

Bville.Bobcat

Personally, I don't like this proposal to try to put the private schools in their own league. Am I the only one that is worried that if the AAA tries this that the private schools will just tell the AAA to take a hike and that they will do their own thing?? If that happens then the private schools will be able to actually do what most of us accuse them of doing now... Approach kids about going to their school, offer scholarships, etc.... I see what schools like Oak Hill Academy (basketball) and Evangel Christian (football) have been able to do with those priveleges and I can't help but think that schools like Pulaski Academy and Shiloh are just licking their chops hoping this proposal does happen.

AAAspectator

Quote from: Bville.Bobcat on April 28, 2009, 09:37:57 pm
Personally, I don't like this proposal to try to put the private schools in their own league. Am I the only one that is worried that if the AAA tries this that the private schools will just tell the AAA to take a hike and that they will do their own thing?? If that happens then the private schools will be able to actually do what most of us accuse them of doing now... Approach kids about going to their school, offer scholarships, etc.... I see what schools like Oak Hill Academy (basketball) and Evangel Christian (football) have been able to do with those priveleges and I can't help but think that schools like Pulaski Academy and Shiloh are just licking their chops hoping this proposal does happen.

BINGO!!!!! we have a winner!!

As a Springdale citizen with knowledge of people in the SC system they are reaping what they sow.

johnharrison

Quote from: QF© on April 28, 2009, 06:05:47 pm

How in the world does enrollment affect conference?  I thought that was geography based.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: johnharrison on April 28, 2009, 09:58:41 pm

How in the world does enrollment affect conference?  I thought that was geography based.
Seriously?  You're aligned by geographical conferences within a classification.  If it's strictly enrollment, then there'd be no conferences. 

johnharrison

Gee your are stretching something.  Enrollment decides which 16 (or 64) teams make up a classification.

After that, your enrollment number has NOTHING to do with whether you are in 5A 1, 5A 2, 5 A 3, etc.

Usually the conferences are set up by starting in the four corners of the state and taking the 8 closest schools.  As you work toward cental arkansas, you can end up in any number of conferences.  Note LRCA and Siloam Springs.

Quite Frankly

johnharrison

Quite Frankly

johnharrison

Well 5A runs from Forrest City at 755 to Crossett at 483.

Almost everyone else is somewhere between.  Tell me how those number determine conference.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: johnharrison on April 28, 2009, 10:46:23 pm
Well 5A runs from Forrest City at 755 to Crossett at 483.

Almost everyone else is somewhere between.  Tell me how those number determine conference.
Okay, I'll try.. ;)   Nope, I'm out of spoons.

johnharrison

Normally I feel you have common sense, but tonight you are pretty danged random, perhaps just playing the game.

You give me the 16 teams in 7A, I'll make two conferences.  Give me the 16 in 6A, I'll give you 2 more. 

The committee making conferences could care less whether the school has 400 or 450 as long as they are the same class.

It hurts you credibility to argue something so obviously stupid.

stina_ar

You wouldn't want to hurt you credibility.                                                                                    Bville.Bobcat, u make a good point.

Quite Frankly

April 29, 2009, 07:16:26 am #124 Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:37:24 am by QF©
Quote from: johnharrison on April 28, 2009, 10:53:42 pm
Normally I feel you have common sense, but tonight you are pretty danged random, perhaps just playing the game.

You give me the 16 teams in 7A, I'll make two conferences.  Give me the 16 in 6A, I'll give you 2 more. 

The committee making conferences could care less whether the school has 400 or 450 as long as they are the same class.

It hurts you credibility to argue something so obviously stupid.

Why is West Memphis not in the same conference as Fayetteville?  Now careful, they should have been 7A.

Why do you find school in LR that are the same size in the same conference?

Why isn't West Fork in the conference with Hamburg?

Why isn't Alma in Blytheville's conference?

Why is Fay, Bentonville, Springdale, Rogers and Fort Smith all in the same conference?

G-e-o-g-r-a-p-h-y

The state isn't perfectly population centered.  You continue to try and support your claim, but can't.  Classes are drawn and then conferences are aligned the best they can be overall unless a school petitions a change(Russellville/WM).

Your insinuation they are random is absurd because it could be much worse.

Back to your eating your peas Goober.

transplant

That is an empty threat.  There is nothing stopping them from doing this today.  If any school doesn't want to abide by the AAA's rules they are free to go it on their own.  If a private school wants to become a "national powerhouse" all they have to do is drop their AAA membership and start the scheduling process. 

They won't be able to schedule any AAA member schools but they can schedule any other teams from around the country. 

johnharrison

Not so fast QF.  I haven't forgotten your orginal post on this offshoot.

I have always said that once CLASS if determined by enrollment, GEOGRAPHY governs conferences.

YOU said Enrollment does both.  I didn't agree then and don't agree now.

I even pointed out that the conferences are often arranged starting at the four corners of the state, usually (but not always) giving them the closest opponents.

There is the Russelville W. Memphis exception - that is is a clase where geography trumps enrollment, not the other way around.

You orginally said,  Enrollment determines class both and conference.
but once the 5A class is determine, enrollment has nothing to do with the conferences.

arthurhawgerelli

Had an interpretation of the proposal that is gaining lots of steam given to me.

This is all based on the way Tennessee handles public/private.  The public and private schools will basically still play each other, and be in each other's conference throughout the regular season.  When it comes playoff time, there will be a public school playoff, which won't be much different from the way it is set up now.  The private schools will then have a Division I playoff and Division II playoff, which means the successful schools will be in D-I and the others will be in D-II.  I think this is win-win because the Subiaco's and Lutherans etc., now will also be in competition for a title.

Downhill Run to Papeete

Yes, you are.

I've just started keeping up with this private vs public debate, and I would like to challenge the logic of several of you.  If a kid in high school drops out, should he be eligible for all the privileges of the public school in the town that he lives in (ie., free lunches, special services, transportation to town via bus, etc..)?  If 11 boys were to drop out in one school, should they be allowed to form a team and be a part of the AAA playoffs and have all the benefits that AAA public school teams get?  According to a lot of you, you seem to have this logic.  If a kid drops out of a public school and gets his GED, according to your logic, he should be able to go through the graduating ceremony of the local high school, and have it handed to him by the public school principal.  If a kid chooses to drop out of a public school and go to a private school, you think that he should have all the same privaleges offered by that public school, like participation in the public school athletics system.  Your logic is flawed and none of your arguments are valid.

QPWFB

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on April 29, 2009, 09:27:59 am
Had an interpretation of the proposal that is gaining lots of steam given to me.

This is all based on the way Tennessee handles public/private.  The public and private schools will basically still play each other, and be in each other's conference throughout the regular season.  When it comes playoff time, there will be a public school playoff, which won't be much different from the way it is set up now.  The private schools will then have a Division I playoff and Division II playoff, which means the successful schools will be in D-I and the others will be in D-II.  I think this is win-win because the Subiaco's and Lutherans etc., now will also be in competition for a title.
I like the proposal, except public schools should only have to play the privates if its a mutual agreement.I think they should have their own conf.,publics have there own and if they agree to play each other in a nonconf. game that's cool. That way the public schools have some control over who they play.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on April 29, 2009, 09:27:59 am

I hope this flies.............great proposal!

holdup

Quote from: Downhill Run to Papeete on April 29, 2009, 10:02:35 am<br />
Quote from: Bville.Bobcat on April 28, 2009, 09:37:57 pm<br />Personally, I don't like this proposal to try to put the private schools in their own league. <b>Am I the only one that is worried that if the AAA tries this that the private schools will just tell the AAA to take a hike and that they will do their own thing?</b>? If that happens then the private schools will be able to actually do what most of us accuse them of doing now... Approach kids about going to their school, offer scholarships, etc.... I see what schools like Oak Hill Academy (basketball) and Evangel Christian (football) have been able to do with those priveleges and I can't help but think that schools like Pulaski Academy and Shiloh are just licking their chops hoping this proposal does happen.<br />
<br />Yes, you are.<br /><br />I've just started keeping up with this private vs public debate, and I would like to challenge the logic of several of you.  If a kid in high school drops out, should he be eligible for all the privileges of the public school in the town that he lives in (ie., free lunches, special services, transportation to town via bus, etc..)?  If 11 boys were to drop out in one school, should they be allowed to form a team and be a part of the AAA playoffs and have all the benefits that AAA public school teams get?  According to a lot of you, you seem to have this logic.  If a kid drops out of a public school and gets his GED, according to your logic, he should be able to go through the graduating ceremony of the local high school, and have it handed to him by the public school principal.  If a kid chooses to drop out of a public school and go to a private school, you think that he should have all the same privaleges offered by that public school, like participation in the public school athletics system.  Your logic is flawed and none of your arguments are valid.<br />

The private schools parents are making it possible for schools to receive 8-10 thousand dollars per kid to the public school system through their taxes.  The private school families pay the same public school taxes as do the public school families to start with.  If all of the private school kids and home schooled kids all went back to the public schools at the same time, your taxes would either increase dramatically or the schools would go down hill dramatically because not enough money is being given. 

Drop-outs would be handled differently by the AAA.  Home-schooled kids do not get to participate in athletics with the AAA because there is no real regulations on grades, etc.  Private schools (regardless of what most understand) are held to very high standards with their accreditation to be able to participate in the AAA.  It isn't like a bunch of lawless, unsupervised organizations putting together athletic teams.  It is schools run locally (like our governing laws are supposed to be providing) instead of federally, allowing kids to participate in a PRIVATELY-run organization called the AAA.

I guess all golfers that are members of a private organization should be banned from all public courses as well.  Ok, that part was a joke. 

jrbballguy

Quote from: holdup on April 29, 2009, 11:42:55 am<br />
Quote from: Downhill Run to Papeete on April 29, 2009, 10:02:35 am<br />
Quote from: Bville.Bobcat on April 28, 2009, 09:37:57 pm<br />Personally, I don't like this proposal to try to put the private schools in their own league. <b>Am I the only one that is worried that if the AAA tries this that the private schools will just tell the AAA to take a hike and that they will do their own thing?</b>? If that happens then the private schools will be able to actually do what most of us accuse them of doing now... Approach kids about going to their school, offer scholarships, etc.... I see what schools like Oak Hill Academy (basketball) and Evangel Christian (football) have been able to do with those priveleges and I can't help but think that schools like Pulaski Academy and Shiloh are just licking their chops hoping this proposal does happen.<br />
<br />Yes, you are.<br /><br />I've just started keeping up with this private vs public debate, and I would like to challenge the logic of several of you.  If a kid in high school drops out, should he be eligible for all the privileges of the public school in the town that he lives in (ie., free lunches, special services, transportation to town via bus, etc..)?  If 11 boys were to drop out in one school, should they be allowed to form a team and be a part of the AAA playoffs and have all the benefits that AAA public school teams get?  According to a lot of you, you seem to have this logic.  If a kid drops out of a public school and gets his GED, according to your logic, he should be able to go through the graduating ceremony of the local high school, and have it handed to him by the public school principal.  If a kid chooses to drop out of a public school and go to a private school, you think that he should have all the same privaleges offered by that public school, like participation in the public school athletics system.  Your logic is flawed and none of your arguments are valid.<br />
<br /><br />The private schools parents are making it possible for schools to receive 8-10 thousand dollars per kid to the public school system through their taxes.  The private school families pay the same public school taxes as do the public school families to start with.  If all of the private school kids and home schooled kids all went back to the public schools at the same time, your taxes would either increase dramatically or the schools would go down hill dramatically because not enough money is being given.  <br /><br />

Don't really know where you came up with that....
sure everyone pays the same taxes, where private and public schools are different is private schools don't get the funding from the state government that the public schools do, hence the tuition you speak of.  And if you can afford it, go for it.  Public schools receive X amount of money for each student that attends in that district, so if the private school kids went to public school, the government pays the school district for those kids.  The public school doesn't get a dime for students that don't attend their school even if they live in their district and go to private school.  Most private schools have what...300 students coming from multiple school districts?
If you actually think that private schools are "helping" public schools financially, that's a rather arrogant and pompas way of looking at things

Downhill Run to Papeete

jrbballguy, they don't have an argument.  Everything they are spouting out is rhetoric.  Nothing more, just rhetoric.  You can argue all day long that a square is round.  You can state that each side has some sort of roundness to it, each angle approaches 360 degrees, it has a center just like a circle.  But at the end of the argument, it's still a square.  Private schools are loaded with high school "goal-oriented drop-outs," who want the best of both worlds.  Freedom from public-school rules and regulations, but the benefits that they provide.  Public school conferences and playoffs provide a terrific venue for athletes and schools, and the private school students/parents, who have abandoned the public schools, want it too.

johnharrison

Well some aspects of both those statement is true. I think it is true that public schools recieve a per/pupil amount - but I am not sure if that is from the state or local funding.

Do not under estimate the impact the closing private schools would have in the Central Arkansas area.  There would neither be classrooms or funding if 3000 new high school students showed up.  The isn't another $15,000,000 just lying around to give to the school system.

I guess you could raise taxes or slash extracurricular activities.

stina_ar

I like the fact that you discredit the opposing opinion. I would love to be able to understand your posts.

sportime

PUBLIC SCHOOLS ONLY GET MONEY  FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THAT DISTRICT!!  If you are home-schooled or go to a private school the school automatically loses that per student 8-10 thousand dollars.  I know you still pay taxes but I don't know where it goes.  Like if Searcy has 3300 students that is how their funding is figured, only on students enrolled in the school.

Quite Frankly

All this still comes to down to the competitive nature of the AAA governed sports.  That's all.

If public schools that have to abide by certain rules that privates don't and they determine they don't want to compete with them, then that's their right.

transplant

Quote from: johnharrison on April 29, 2009, 01:01:39 pm
Well some aspects of both those statement is true. I think it is true that public schools recieve a per/pupil amount - but I am not sure if that is from the state or local funding.

Do not under estimate the impact the closing private schools would have in the Central Arkansas area.  There would neither be classrooms or funding if 3000 new high school students showed up.  The isn't another $15,000,000 just lying around to give to the school system.

I guess you could raise taxes or slash extracurricular activities.

In Arkansas the local district contributes about 35% of the funding.

15 million would be less than .6% (About 1/2 of 1%) of what is spent on education in the State.  (total budget 2.7 billion.

However, the increased interest from patrons who previously had ignored the public schools (except on game days) might help improve the performance of the public schools.

jrbballguy

most of the local "tax money" is spent on building up-keep, maintenance, new buildings, electric bills, water bills, gas bills, transportation cost, and some goes to teacher salaries (that's why each district is unique with what the teachers get paid). 
When towns ask for a mil increase they are usually wanting to either give teachers a raise or build new buildings

johnharrison

OK,  you try it.  Go up to your local school super and ask how the system would fare if 35% more students showed up in August.

transplant

Where does the 35% number come from in your hypothetical situation?

HA_Fan

Quote from: Downhill Run to Papeete on April 29, 2009, 12:31:32 pm
Private schools are loaded with high school "goal-oriented drop-outs,"

What color is the sky in your world?

QPWFB

School funding is a lttle tricky ,and would take more time than I have to completly explain it. But the argument that you help pay for public schools,even while your kids attend a private school is partially true.But its everyones duty to pay their fair share of taxes,I pay taxes for service's that I may or may not ever use. Folks that don't have any kids at all pay taxes for schools as well,its the law. School funding comes from 3 sources,Federal,State and local.
  Federal funding makes up a very small portion of a public schools overall budget.It is uaually designated for certain programs and cannot be used for anything else.
   Local funding is made up of tax money paid on real property within the district. Each school district has a millage rate set by the voters,the min. as set by the state is 25mils, it can be higher if approved by the voters but it can't be less. The value of 1 mil is different in each district,the value of a mil is determined by the assessed property value within the district.In one district a mil could be worth $150,000 in another a mil could only be worth $20,000. It depends on the assessed value within the district boundries. So heres how it works, multiply your school districts millage value X number of approved mils, example $50,000 x 35 mils = $1.75 millon. So local taxes contribute 1.75 million dollars to the school district. Here's where the state funds come in, divide 1.75 million by the number of student in district lets say 600, ok 1.75 divided by 600 = $2.916.67 per child is generated by local taxes,The state puts in the difference so that each school has the $5,800 per child that they say it takes to educate a child. Some districts get more help than others,thats what they refer to as the wealth index. If a larger percentage of your funding comes from the state you are considered a poor district. Thats school funding in a nut shell, I gotta go.

HA_Fan

Quote from: QPWFB on April 29, 2009, 03:00:37 pm
But the argument that you help pay for public schools,even while your kids attend a private school is partially true.

The other thing that is true is that most private school parents who I know don't have any problem with that.  They understand that the public school is an important part of any community.

This irrational hatred doesn't run both ways with everyone.

johnharrison

Quote from: transplant on April 29, 2009, 01:49:50 pm
Where does the 35% number come from in your hypothetical situation?

I took about 6000 for the LRSD High School Enrollment (off their website) , and about 2200 from the privates schools (using AAA Classification numbers).

(And to save you the trouble  2200 x 1.75 =  3850 or 64%!!)

transplant

April 29, 2009, 03:51:28 pm #146 Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:02:23 pm by transplant
So none of the students in Central Arkansas private schools would be from PCSSD, North Little Rock, Conway, Benton, Bryant etc...?

Your "straw man" isn't holding up.

johnharrison

(oh, and I left out NLR)

1)  Conway, Benton, and Bryant - I don't think they'd notice a difference, unless some families moved from LR to those cities.  I don't think that many drive in.

2) PCSSD - very little.  If a parent is in a private school for academics, it is a non-starter

3)  Central very little, they are full, though it might limit the out of distric kids who are able to transfer in.

4)  Charter schools would explode - ESTEM, LISA and Academics +  (all public schools) especially.

5)  Not sure where the other 1000 would go, but at least there would be more money to buy portable classrooms.

stina_ar

What do you mean by "non-starter"? Honest question.

OldScrap

DateTime OpponentResult
9/05/08TBA@Evangel Christian Academy (Shreveport, LA)   9-47 (L)  -40

9/12/08TBA@Lincoln Christian (Tulsa, OK)                            14-7 (W)

9/19/08TBAvs.Greenwood (Greenwood, AR)                         37-20 (W)

9/26/08TBA@Berryville (Berryville, AR)                                  *65-0 (W)    + 65 ********

10/03/08TBAvs.Pea Ridge (Pea Ridge, AR)                           *52-0 (W)    + 52

10/10/08TBAvs.Prairie Grove (Prairie Grove, AR)                  *49-8 (W)     + 41

10/17/08TBA@Gentry (Gentry, AR)                                       *70-3 (W)     + 67

10/24/08TBA@Gravette (Gravette, AR)                               *49-14 (W)    +35

10/31/08TBAvs.Huntsville (Huntsville, AR)                           *42-7 (W)     + 35

11/07/087:00 PMvs.Farmington (Farmington, AR)                *51-0  (W)      +51

11/21/08TBAvs.Clarksville (Clarksville, AR)                       ***84-14 (W)    + 70 ******************

11/28/08TBAvs.Lonoke (Lonoke, AR)                                *** 47-7  (W)     +40

12/05/08TBAvs.Osceola (Osceola, AR)                              ***51-12  (W)     + 39

12/13/08TBA@Dollarway (Pine Bluff, AR)                          ***42-18  (W)     

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas