• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hows Clinton football lookin next year

Started by #1 Hogs Fan, July 05, 2009, 05:59:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1 Hogs Fan

I know they have two of the best defense players in the state come in back in Leaf and that DB who's name has escaped me come in back but what about the rest of the team 

Peety

July 07, 2009, 12:59:36 am #1 Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:03:11 am by Peety
Quote from: #1 Hogs Fan on July 05, 2009, 05:59:54 pm
I know they have two of the best defense players in the state come in back in Leaf and that DB who's name has escaped me come in back but what about the rest of the team 

Well if they have 2 great all stars on defense then how come I didn't see them in the playoffs last year?

And before you go out and say those 2 kids are the best in the state, try 4th or 5th best in the conference. Just to name a few.... Mitchell from Heber, Morgan from Lonoke, Rouse from Bk, the whole starting Ricebird defense? Nobody from Clinton is the best in the state.

policeman

you never know, the young men from Clinton he was refering to could be very talented.

hillbilly

They could be talented, but 2 of the best in the state on a team that didn't make the playoffs makes me laugh.

#1 Hogs Fan

OK i didn't mean the two best players in the state but a couple of the batter players in the state and if you don't have any info on Clinton please dont post

phdefense

1HF is right about Clinton having a little something on defense. If it and the other parts of the team will progress remains to be seen. If they do though I can see them being competitive in the playoff chase.

waddle_10

i would like the see a couple of the "batter"" players

#1 Hogs Fan

any info on Clinton no than don't post thanks

Peety

Quote from: #1 Hogs Fan on July 08, 2009, 09:27:42 pm

I do have info on Clinton. In fact I have watched a lot of film on them. So I can tell you they aren't anywhere near the best in the state. And don't tell them they don't need to post. They have every right to post as much as you do.

Jive_Turkey

Clinton has cycles of players come through.  Some years it's up some years it's down.  You never can really tell when they are gonna be good. The two players that they were talking about I have heard through the grapevine are talented, but as we all know takes an entire team to win.  We'll see if they cycle is up this fall.

The Train

Quote from: Peety on July 09, 2009, 12:22:22 am

I do have info on Clinton. In fact I have watched a lot of film on them. So I can tell you they aren't anywhere near the best in the state. And don't tell them they don't need to post. They have every right to post as much as you do.

Individual stats from last year show that a couple are among the best.  Don't hate just because you're useless...

Peety

Useless? I'm pretty sure those stats are useless because they finished 6th in the conference last year

phdefense

Quote from: The Train on July 17, 2009, 01:12:20 am
Quote from: Peety on July 09, 2009, 12:22:22 am

Individual stats from last year show that a couple are among the best.  Don't hate just because you're useless...

You do have to put the stats in context though. Good individual stats can be boosted in a situation where the defense is good enough to not give up a lot of big plays and makes the opposing team consistently drive the field. That coupled with an offense that consistently kept the defense  on the field. You will find this is a the case many teams that seem to not fair very well. They will have players with very high numbers specifically in tackles because of the sheer number of plays that defense was forced to face.

Ridge Rat

The db's name is Treece. Think he was leading the stae in ints for a while,maybe finished in first place. Marshall's qb helped out his numbers by hitting him in the numbers at least twice and I think three times,but the important thing was he caught them all.

The Train

Quote from: Peety on July 17, 2009, 03:48:50 am
Useless? I'm pretty sure those stats are useless because they finished 6th in the conference last year

We aren't talking about the team....this is about the individuals.  Yeah, we can talk about the team and it wouldn't be pretty, but if we talk about a few individuals then it would be a complete 180.  Just because a team plays poorly, doesn't mean it should drag an individual down.  Look at the Hogs when McFadden and Jones were there.  The team sucked, but the tandem pretty much kept the team alive.  Yeah the line was decent, but the backs made them shine better than what they really were.

Jive_Turkey

yeah and the hogs won a conference championship too...

JacketPride17

leif finished last season with over 150 tackles.
treece had 6 or 8 INT's
clinton struggled last year yes.
but we WILL shock some people this year.
let it be heard

birdman16

Peety

Quote from: JacketPride17 on August 03, 2009, 02:11:49 pm
treece had 6 or 8 INT's
let it be heard

who are you gona shock? Dewitt or Southside? Marrianna maybe?

birdman16

Quote from: Peety on August 04, 2009, 06:44:06 pm
Quote from: JacketPride17 on August 03, 2009, 02:11:49 pm
treece had 6 or 8 INT's
let it be heard
who are you gona shock? Dewitt or Southside? Marrianna maybe?

Don't forget about Mountian View

Harrybear

Clinton is better than people give credit.
2-4A
Stuttgart
Heber Springs
Clinton
Lonoke
Bald Knob
Marianna
Dewitt
Southside
Clinton lost to Marianna and Bald Knob in the last moments of the game. Clinton controlled the entire game against marrianna and lost in the last two minutes of the game. Lonoke was a pointless game for Clinton because they were already eliminated from the playoffs. They did not lose enough personel to drop lower than fourth. Watch and see. Oh and check out the QB this year.

phdefense

Quote from: Harrybear on August 06, 2009, 10:37:22 am
2-4A
Stuttgart
Heber Springs
Clinton
Lonoke
Bald Knob
Marianna
Dewitt
Southside
Clinton lost to Marianna and Bald Knob in the last moments of the game. Clinton controlled the entire game against marrianna and lost in the last two minutes of the game. Lonoke was a pointless game for Clinton because they were already eliminated from the playoffs. They did not lose enough personel to drop lower than fourth. Watch and see. Oh and check out the QB this year.

In a post where you say Clinton is not getting enough credit and point out close scores. You turn around and do the same thing to DeWitt. They lost 4 games by less than 10 points each. And no game is pointless, do you think the seniors most of which that will be their last game thought it was pointless?

JacketPride17

Quote from: phdefense on August 07, 2009, 11:19:51 am
Quote from: Harrybear on August 06, 2009, 10:37:22 am
2-4A
Stuttgart
Heber Springs
Clinton
Lonoke
Bald Knob
Marianna
Dewitt
Southside

In a post where you say Clinton is not getting enough credit and point out close scores. You turn around and do the same thing to DeWitt. They lost 4 games by less than 10 points each. And no game is pointless, do you think the seniors most of which that will be their last game thought it was pointless?

i dont believe you were there in the lockeroom the day before the Lonoke game when two of our starting seniors decided to fight and then couldnt play.   so no most of them didnt care about the last game....

birdman16

Quote from: JacketPride17 on August 07, 2009, 12:13:46 pm
Quote from: phdefense on August 07, 2009, 11:19:51 am
Quote from: Harrybear on August 06, 2009, 10:37:22 amClinton is better than people give credit. 2-4A
Stuttgart
Heber Springs
Clinton
Lonoke
Bald Knob
Marianna
Dewitt
Southside
i dont believe you were there in the lockeroom the day before the Lonoke game when two of our starting seniors decided to fight and then couldnt play.   so no most of them didnt care about the last game....

What does that say about the program? When your players give up before the game.

Jimbo Morphis

1. stuttgart
2. lonoke
3. heber springs

9. baldknob
9. marianna
9. clinton
9. dewitt
9. southside

nomorewhining

lol.....oldman....you are just mean.

clinton may pull out the old catch a pass 3 yards out of bounds and run for a td anyway play, and sneak into the playoffs.

busta

August 10, 2009, 11:55:48 am #26 Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 12:01:33 pm by busta
so far, from what I have read on this thread, no one is really in the know about Clinton football.  So let me feel you in......Clinton will be better this year...how much better is yet to be determined.  they started several Sophmores last year that gained the experience they needed.  Will be young again this year.  Experience coming back at QB & WR & RB on offense.  Defense will be experience because most of the starters were Soph or Jr's.  I don't know about best in the state....if best in the state was on character & attitude then I would agree - the Davidson kid is good! 
Some names to look for.....Leaf Davidson, Nick Bane, Spencer Gunn, Robin Henley, Johnathan Tyson, and Hunter Treece.  Clinton has traditionally had good lineman and I think this year will be no difference.  CHS has hired two new coaches and one is a Line coach from Henderson State.  Improvements have been made on special teams as well.  Some impact will be seen in the kicking game.  A  Sophmore that might make an impact will be Park Parish.  A few sophomores that might get some playing time will be David Keeling, Cody Hubbard and Seth Holcomb.  Do I think they are playoff bound  - IDK - do I think they are better than the predicted 7th - absolutely! This why they play the game fellows!

LakeRat

Quote from: phdefense on July 17, 2009, 11:57:01 am
You do have to put the stats in context though. Good individual stats can be boosted in a situation where the defense is good enough to not give up a lot of big plays and makes the opposing team consistently drive the field. That coupled with an offense that consistently kept the defense  on the field. You will find this is a the case many teams that seem to not fair very well. They will have players with very high numbers specifically in tackles because of the sheer number of plays that defense was forced to face.

I would agree from last year's play Clinton posted some high defensive numbers because their offense only averaged about 11 points per game against the top 5 teams in the conference. While there opponents averaged around 31 points against them.

Your couple of key producers on defense which may be very talented spent a higher amount of time on the field due to an unproductive offense. Does that make them tops in the state or even conference? I would say not given the overall team results.

I do think Clinton will be improved this year and may have a shot at the playoffs if they can compete with Bald Knob, Marianna Lee and Dewitt. Don't see them presenting much of a challenge against Heber, Stuttgart or Lonoke.

sportsfan$

If I recall Clinton's running back was out with an injury early in the season. 

JacketPride17

Quote from: sportsfan$ on August 18, 2009, 11:03:55 pm
If I recall Clinton's running back was out with an injury early in the season. 

wingback/QB if my memory is right and yes he broke both the bones in his arm that leads to your wrist (the names slip my mind) early in the dewitt game and was out the rest of the season.

Jive_Turkey

Da_Problem_Child#15

lets just hope clinton is ready for the bulldogs wen game 9 cums

busta

I have read each post and can even agree with a majority of the projected finishes in the conference.  However, there is one thing to remember, of all the teams outside the top three, Clinton has the greatest potential to be the spoiler in the conference.  LAst year, Clinton lost two critical games - Marianna & Bald Knob - in the last moments of the game.  Both of these games are still resonating in the minds of the players and coaches and I feel safe to say there will be a difference in this years club!

As far as how they look three weeks in......I watched the Black & Gold game Friday night and was somewhat impressed.  Several bright spots and more that need work.  We play Dover this week in a scrimmage game, so the question can be better answered then.

sportsfan$

Wasn't able to make it to the scrimmage at Dover.  How did the Jackets look?  Score? 

JacketPride17

i guess youd count it as a win.
28-18
still lots of room for improvement... the backfield did outstanding.

sportsfan$

Def. would count that as a win.  Who put the points on the board for the jackets?

JacketPride17

the usual.
jake hink - #11 (HB)
leif davidson - #44 (FB)
these were during when we scrimaged for a half. alot of our other guys got in the endzone beforehand
mightve scored.. we had alot of good runs. the offense was very surprising in a good way.

duckcomander22

Quote from: Peety on August 04, 2009, 06:44:06 pm<br />
Quote from: JacketPride17 on August 03, 2009, 02:11:49 pm<br />leif finished last season with over 150 tackles.<br />treece had 6 or 8 INT's<br />clinton struggled last year yes.<br />but we WILL shock some people this year.<br />let it be heard<br />
<br /><br />who are you gona shock? Dewitt or Southside? Marrianna maybe? <br />

Peety if i remember right DeWitt has beet bald knob the past two years so you have no room to put them in that post without putting bk

superman30

Clinton does have some talent but they wont be better than last year and its for one main reason the line..... the are returning one starter from last year who wasnt that good....... the line last year wasnt great but its better than this years and if clinton has any chance of staying in a game there defense will have to score for them.... i also watched the black and gold game and if i am correct there were alot of fumbles and several dropped passes so unless they improve alot on offense there defense is the only thing good about them

JacketPride17

Quote from: superman30 on August 30, 2009, 10:50:54 pm
Clinton does have some talent but they wont be better than last year and its for one main reason the line..... the are returning one starter from last year who wasnt that good....... the line last year wasnt great but its better than this years and if clinton has any chance of staying in a game there defense will have to score for them.... i also watched the black and gold game and if i am correct there were alot of fumbles and several dropped passes so unless they improve alot on offense there defense is the only thing good about them
for the record a couple guys that had to move away last year were able to come back (both whom play on the line) and we had another that quit last year come back whos also on the line. are they returning starters? no... but we woulda been better off if we had em last year.  and p.s. thats the point of a black and gold game and a schrimage game. to get back into the swing of a game instead of practice. 

superman30

actually yall only had one who is a returning starter and your right the one who quit and came back is better at the position than last years starter but the whole line in general is better this year and yalls running backs are not better than last years except the fullback who is a returning starter and as far as the black and gold game if yall barely scored against some second string people its going to be bad when yall face a real defense like perryville, heber, marianna, and teams like those the record will be the same as last years

superman30

i meant the whole line in general is not better

Jacketphotog

Clintons ENTIRE team will be better this year, I have no doubt about this.   The line is much better than last year, and they have 5-6 running backs that will do some damage.   Clinton has a chance to have a good year.  How good?  Who knows, we will have to wait and see.   Im excited about Jacket football this year, its a great bunch of kids.   good Luck at Marshall!

mightyjackets

I have watched most of these boys play football since pee wee and they will surprise some people. 

idk

clinton did a pretty good job last year in the first half against stuttgart only allowed a touchdown and a few big plays but stopped them...i wouldnt be surprised if Clinton did upset somebody this year but i dont think they are quite talented and big enough 2 keep up with Stuttgart...their o line is prolly one of the biggest if not the biggest in confrence everybody is very strong and big it ranges from 4 out of 5 lineman are 6'1 or better and all of them weigh over 230 easy and are extremely talented

JacketPride17

Quote from: superman30 on September 01, 2009, 10:26:30 pm
actually yall only had one who is a returning starter and your right the one who quit and came back is better at the position than last years starter but the whole line in general is better this year and yalls running backs are not better than last years except the fullback who is a returning starter and as far as the black and gold game if yall barely scored against some second string people its going to be bad when yall face a real defense like perryville, heber, marianna, and teams like those the record will be the same as last years

we only lost one senior HB. yes we lost the star WB but he was down since the dewitt game. and the HB averaged like what.. maybe 3 yrds a carry? he had no BCV IMO. the backs are better... the recievers are better. we may have an undetermined and dwindled O-line but thats what pre-conference games are for, no?

mightyjackets

JacketPride17

Quote from: mightyjackets on September 02, 2009, 09:57:41 pm
BCV IMO?? What is that?

BCV - ball carrier vision
IMO - in my opinion

im not doggin him but we had a better back that shoulda got more touches..

mightyjackets

If I am not mistaken, the back you are talking about was playing injured.  Torn ligaments or something....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas