• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

warren 4

Started by #1 STUNNA, August 31, 2007, 01:58:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

#1 STUNNA

Warren is not the first high school program to produce four NCAA Division I prospects in one class.

The Lumberjacks, however, might be the first Arkansas high school football team to produce four upper-level prospects at the same position.

Warren Coach Bo Hembree unleashed his quartet of talented wide receivers — Jarius Wright, Basmine Jones, Greg Childs and Chris Gragg — on Sheridan on Monday night, shredding the Yellowjackets secondary for 350 first-half yards and a 42-7 halftime cushion.

I wondered if the state had ever seen such skilled talent at one position.

Hembree's offense, which could be best described as fastbreak football, produced seven first-half scoring drives, all ending with one of the four receivers catching a touchdown pass. Even more impressive, each drive averaged a mere one minute and 10 seconds.

Wright and Jones each had a touchdown catch while Childs and Gragg scored twice after catching passes.

Warren sophomore quarterback Hayden Smith, 5-10, 175 pounds, looked like a college prospect by completing 19 of 24 passes with 5 touchdowns, all in the first two quarters.

The Warren four certainly impressed the press, including two longtime followers of Arkansas high school football — Robert Yates of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and Wadie Moore, assistant executive diector for the Arkansas Activities Association.

Yates has covered Arkansas high school football since 1987; Moore covered Arkansas prep football for 25 years (1968-1993 ), 23 of those with the Arkansas Gazette.

"I can never remember the same position having four Division I signees at the same school," Yates said. "Especially from a school with around 400 enrollment, it's quite remarkable. You can go back recently to Andrew Norman and Damian Williams, and a little bit before that, you have three of the Warren kids [Roshaun Fellows, Bret Smith, Terrance Hampton ] but never four. It's even more amazing that the same school has done it twice [with ] three and now four."

Moore said he doesn't recall a school having so much talent at one position, either. "It's very rare that you find four D-I athletes at the same position at the same time," Moore said. "I can go back to the mid' 70 s and look at the ' 74 Little Rock Parkview team that probably had six to eight Division I prospects but not at the same position, or the ' 75 Little Rock Central team with Houston Nutt, [Robert ] Farrell, Emanuel Tolbert and Robert Hall. They also had four or five Division I prospects but not at the same position."

From a national perspective, Super Prep recruiting magazine publisher Allen Wallace echoes the sentiments of Yates and Moore.

"I've heard of a number of situations with as many as 10 guys coming off of a high school program and are significant Division I prospects," Wallace said. "But to have all of them coagulated in a positional group is something I can't recall seeing." Visiting this weekend

xtremewildcat

Where in the world do you guys get these players from? I have never, in the 30 years of playing and studying football, have I seen such talent come from such a small area. You guys have to be doing something illegal. One year, here in ED, we had 4 receivers, that were D-2 type talent. Who develops these guys. What a lot of people don't know, is you have to develop the talent. It looks like Warren has the best of both.

Mulerider

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on August 31, 2007, 01:58:13 pm
Warren Coach Bo Hembree unleashed his quartet of talented wide receivers — Jarius Wright, Basmine Jones, Greg Childs and Chris Gragg —on Sheridan on Monday night, shredding the Yellowjackets secondary for 350 first-half yards and a 42-7 halftime cushion.

Hembree's offense, which could be best described as fastbreak football, produced seven first-half scoring drives, all ending with one of the four receivers catching a touchdown pass. Even more impressive, each drive averaged a mere one minute and 10 seconds.

7 first half scores?  So Warren missed every single point after attempt in the first half?

Warren's offense can also be described as heave and hope, hail mary city, throw it up and let the best athlete go and get it, and my favorite, the Lumberquack attack, PULL!!!  Maybe this years guy will be way better and change all of that.

To bad the Warren QB is only 5'10", no matter how good he performs everyone will always sell him short as a possible big time guy simply because of height.

jimbojack

He's a soph.  Most kids are still growing at that age.

I think you're schizo, Mule.  Sometimes you make sense with what you post.  Sometimes, it's so ridiculousy stupid that it amazes.

Mulerider

Quote from: jimbojack on August 31, 2007, 02:44:51 pm
He's a soph.  Most kids are still growing at that age.

I think you're schizo, Mule.  Sometimes you make sense with what you post.  Sometimes, it's so ridiculousy stupid that it amazes.
I assure you its intentional, nothing gets people more fired up on this board than saying anything stupid about Warren!  It's all in fun.

Ty

Springdale '05 had four receivers that are now playing D1.

Nice try though.

The_Preacher

the school of days gone by. you hardly ever even hear that schools name

Mulerider

Quote from: The_Preacher on August 31, 2007, 03:18:19 pm
the school of days gone by. you hardly ever even hear that schools name
I do believe Warren heard that name very loudly a few years ago.  The thump of that name was quite resounding.

LJ06

Yeah I remember that.  If Warren had the numbers Springdale had then Warren would have won.  Springdale kept switching players in and out and Warren was not deep enough to do that because after all we were 3A.  They simply wore us down.  But, Warren was beating them at half-time 14-13.. ;)

GoldenLion30

not trying to be an butt but what was the final score?

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: Tyler3312 on August 31, 2007, 03:01:55 pm

Nice try though.

warren has 5 that will be playing d-1, one of them is the #1 junior in the state, and has an offer from arkansas

Nice try though

The critic

Pretty bad when you have a D1 offer (Quin Franklin) to play receiver  and don't even start at that position.  But I guess that is a good problem to have.

Ty

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on August 31, 2007, 04:46:30 pm

Nice try though.

warren has 5 that will be playing d-1, one of them is the #1 junior in the state, and has an offer from arkansas

Nice try though
Ever hear of Brooks Reimer or Micheal Upton?

Both D-1 players that sat the bench for the '05 team.

sportsmaniac

You can call Warren's and Coach Hembree's game plan what ever you want to but it has been very successful for them.  I know there are alot of schools that would like to have the problem of being winners!!!!!!  How many state championships has Warren won under Bo????

LJ06

2 State Titles.  One in 2001 and the other in 2002.  He also has 5 Conference championships.  2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006

xtremewildcat

Nice try though.

Nice try though

Seriously, where do these guys come from?  Are they developed or are you all dang lucky?

JackStar

Quote from: Tyler3312 on August 31, 2007, 11:55:27 pm

Nice try though.

Nice try though

Nope...never heard of em...

Ty

Quote from: intangible on September 02, 2007, 06:29:01 pm

Nice try though.

Nice try though

Both D-1 players that didn't see the field on the '05 team.

JackStar

Quote from: Tyler3312 on September 04, 2007, 09:11:41 am
Quote from: intangible on September 02, 2007, 06:29:01 pm

Nice try though.

Nice try though

Both D-1 players that didn't see the field on the '05 team.
Where are they going?  What offers?  I played against upton in xtrainnings i think.  he looked kinda small if its who i saw.

Air Foryce 1

Quote from: Golden Lion on August 31, 2007, 03:59:57 pm
not trying to be an butt but what was the final score?
look at it like this, no team is unbeatable, but one of the things l
liked and respect about Springdale and Coach Malzahn, they just didn`t roll in thinking they were Springdale, and were going to roll over Warren, they come in with a game plan, how to beat Warren, you see they would not kick it deep to Warren, and Springdale kept fresh players in the game, and Springdale did not run out of the Spread Offense, that`s saying Springdale had a lot of respect for Warren

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas