• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"New Blood" @ Booneville?

Started by "SHOWKILLER", May 14, 2006, 03:32:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

"SHOWKILLER"

We'll have a new backfield and a new defense. Who's gonna step up and take charge? Will there be any "New" faces?
Cobb? Bartlett? Reyes?

top_guard66

every year there should be new faces stepping up along with some of the old faces that you see every year

who

What about names?  Who is going to step up?  Who are these boys that showkiller is talking about?

tator_tot

Booneville looked good today.  The first offense looked great, but the splits stopped running their routs.  First day of Spring Ball, the young bucks got a taste.  Carolan's knee didn't look like it affected him at all.  When is King moving to half back?  All I saw was him playing 2nd string QB.

tator_tot

Reyes looked great too.  He will be in the starting rotation by the end of the week.  Barlett and Cobb aren't going to play.  Waters stepped up and ran the ball well this afternoon.  Tomorrow I expect to see greater things.

Johnny Cash

A few average players but nothing special this year.  This year looks dim

"SHOWKILLER"

May 16, 2006, 07:04:19 am #6 Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:39:52 am by SHOWKILLER
Quote from: Johnny Cash on May 15, 2006, 08:10:10 pm
A few average players but nothing special this year. This year looks dim

Just like every year we have average players, but they have one key ingredient that ALL Bearcats have-HEART!!!
They'll be just fine.

yearofthecats

king will start playing halfback today.  Overall I think they looked pretty good.  They have no all stars, but they do have something that is very important and that is "HEART".  If they all pull together they will have a great season.  I saw good things out of Emery, Holder, Kyle Smith, Brian Reyes and  I saw Chad Adair playing full back.  Both quarterbacks looked pretty good, we will have several that can step in and play different positions.

tator_tot

dylan smith looked great today in practice.  today the recievers didn't stop running their routs.  i saw swint make a great catch today.  almost looked like his brother.

Jimbo Morphis

i'm not from booneville so don't blast me, but a diehard fan and father of a player said not the same players for the next  two years. you will make the playoffs but not threaten state. don't shoot the messenger. this came from a past booneville all stater and current resident.

"SHOWKILLER"

Quote from: oldman on May 16, 2006, 11:53:44 pm
i'm not from booneville so don't blast me, but a diehard fan and father of a player said not the same players for the next two years. you will make the playoffs but not threaten state. don't shoot the messenger. this came from a past booneville all stater and current resident.

'86 team had great talent, so did the '99 team. Each year after we won state. You can and could say the same about this situation. Last years team was LOADED! This years team has some good players but NO individual standouts. This years team plays as a team and has heart. I'm NOT saying this is a sure thing, I'm just saying don't take us lightly.

Bearcat_Baby

Ya...I hope they do too....Which ones was it? That Adam Angel boy and that Kyle Adair boy?

Jimbo Morphis

that something special in booneville is heart and tradition. those are two things that win alot of ball games. we are trying to get them back in mcgehee.

"SHOWKILLER"

Quote from: Bearcat_Baby on May 17, 2006, 09:37:43 am
Ya...I hope they do too....Which ones was it? That Adam Angel boy and that Kyle Adair boy?

Angel and Emory. Adair can't play anymore according to the Doc.

tator_tot

Adair does not get to play Spring Ball; he will start practicing in the summer

AF&B

who is going to be the new FB and RB?

hoghigh

This team may not be the most talented nor the biggest nor the fastest but i will assure everyone, they will have lots of fun.

Bearcat_Baby

Oh ya, Kyle tore his ACL and MCL or something like that.

J.H.BearcatHasBeen

Quote from: RATTLER_12 on May 17, 2006, 07:02:29 pm
who is going to be the new FB and RB?
FB-Michael Emery
RBs-Dylan Smith, Brian Reyes, Colton Waters, Chris King
QB-Kelly Carolan

BHSBearcat

Booneville has no heart and doesn't believe in the old school traditions anymore... everyone should just not worry about the Cats and go ahead and mark the W for that game...  ;)

waddle_10

J.H.BearcatHasBeen

bigbub04

One thing to remember about Brian Reyes is the family that he comes from.  For those who don't know.  His older brother joey was All-State In both football and baseball.  The only difference between joey ballin then and brian reyes now are these things:

Although brian doesnt have 4.4 speed like his older brother did, he is not slow by any means.
      Compared to his brother at age 17, brian is alot stronger and has the same agility
      His strength and smart thinking while carrying the ball will show his talent surpasses that of his older brother.

The only thing holding brian back is the fact that he hasnt played in a couple of years due to family problems.  The good news is that the situation has settled and he is as ready as ever to support the team and make kyle lynn proud.

Guetz

August 02, 2006, 10:12:43 am #23 Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 04:05:08 pm by Guetz
That "new blood" is going to get tuned up real fast in the pre-season at Morrilton and Harrison.  Going up against these 5A teams is a strategic advantage as long as no one gets seriously injured.

"SHOWKILLER"

We may have a transfer from Van Buren. I've seen him and he'll be a load!!!

Catgrad79

August 04, 2006, 09:26:40 am #25 Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:55:53 am by Catgrad79
Booneville's ability to win games depends on the offensive line. Booneville is and always has been a one dimensional team. If Booneville can block the line, they win. It's that simple. If they can't they will lose. Last year at Nashville their linebackers filled the gaps and rushed the line as soon as the ball was snapped. With no real pass threat all they had to do was fill the holes, which they were very success at because of their speed and physical ability. Our linebackers and receivers are nothing more than decoys and blockers for the running game. Yeah, we made a couple touchdown passes last year, but nothing significant enough to keep any team from loading the line of scrimmage. I go to all the games and I can tell you every time Booneville is going to pass the ball. They only have a couple formations they throw out of and then only to one or two guys. I love the cats, I will keep going to the games, supporting the boys and cheering, but until the offensive mindset changes the Big One is going to avoid them. We could have went to the final game in 2004 if we had a kicking game. Again mindset is run, run, run, nothing else matters. I am sick and tired of people saying we lost to Nashville last year because our guys didn't have any heart, that is BULL. Our boys lost, because we faced a team that was physically stronger and bigger and they were faster. Proof of how good they were was evident in their play in the championship game. There is a limit to what someone can do regardless of how big their HEART is. The mindset needs to change. Great football teams do all aspects of the game efficiently. We saw that in Nashville last year. They could effectively pass, run and they could even kick a field goal. Something our coaching staff doesn't even care about. Just look at the Ozark game in 2003. We could have won that game twice with a field goals inside the 5 yard line, but no... we are Booneville...run, run, run. We can develop good quarterback, running backs and lineman. Why not develop a reciever and kicker? I wish our boys well this year, but they better have a good line and fast backs or it is going to be a long year because WE ARE BOONEVILLE and all we do is run, run, run.

"SHOWKILLER"

Run, run, run. That's what Booneville does best. Unlike in years past Rippy sees and knows he must change a little if he wants to get back to the Rock. Already he has installed 4 new pass plays that we didn't have last year. Carolan and Swint, ON THEIR OWN, have been practicing at the field on their off days. There is a commitment at Booneville to get better. Time is all we need. The more we practice the more we improve, timing and confidence will come. Until Rippy is truly confident we will do what we know best, run, run, run.

Catgrad79

Quote from: SHOWKILLER on August 04, 2006, 03:00:51 pm
Run, run, run. That's what Booneville does best. Unlike in years past Rippy sees and knows he must change a little if he wants to get back to the Rock. Already he has installed 4 new pass plays that we didn't have last year. Carolan and Swint, ON THEIR OWN, have been practicing at the field on their off days. There is a commitment at Booneville to get better. Time is all we need. The more we practice the more we improve, timing and confidence will come. Until Rippy is truly confident we will do what we know best, run, run, run.

I agree with most of what you said. Run is what we do best, we develop running football. Rippy and staff do a great job to get the most of our boys. Bearcat Football is something special in Booneville. Kids want to grow up and be Bearcats. Many of our coaches have gone to other schools and coached and most of them have been unsuccessfull. It's the kids, it's the atmosphere, it's everything that makes Bearcat football great.

I would like to see it improve even more. We lost 2 major games in the last 3 years because of our kicking game. One that would have gotten us to the rock. In my opinion it's time to develop other skills other than running and blocking. We have passing and kicking too. 2 kids taking extra time to throw the ball around isn't going to make a difference when the coaching staff is committed to play football the same way they did in the 1960 and 70's. I'm not say abandon what made us great but 3rd and 35 is no time to "try out" the passing game.

Nuff said on this subject. At least from me anyways. I wish the Cats well and am looking forward to this season. It will be sad not having a son on the field, but all things have to change and the last 3 years of Bearcat football were great. It's sad that the only thing people remember are the losses and not the wins or perfect seasons. Either you win it all or you are a loser. This is our modern day mentality. Ohh well, Go CATS Go.

Legend

Booneville is Booneville. They will find a way to win. They always have. Coach Rippy brings out the most of what is set in front of him. No worrys down on 23 south

Guetz

I agree with CatGrad79, to be a truly great program the Cats need to be proficient at ALL aspects of football.  While a super running game will bring in the wins against our conference opponents, it becomes iffy in the playoffs when facing great teams with more options, options they not only practice but that they also play regularly during the season.  We have a good team, a excellent running team, but to be a truly great team we need to be able to attack equally as effectively in the air, kicking and passing.  Nashville was a heck of a wake up call, highlighting boldly our deficiency.  Have we learned from it?  Is the program going to be stronger as a result?

I too look forward to cheering on the Cats this season and watching the boys put into play the hundreds of hours of practice and training they have had to endure.  They have heart, skill and speed, now I hope that we can get the ball in the air a significant percentage of the time.

:D

RATTLER43

While I agree with the assumption that developing a great balanced attack will help to win state championships more often, I have to throw out a few points.

Booneville has such a great running game because they spend such an inordinate amount of time perfecting it. It does not happen naturally. If you spend a great deal of time on a passing game the running game will suffer to some degree in its execution.

Pass blocking is completely different than run blocking and to implement it into the offense would take a large amount of time which is devoted to other things.

The great running game has been used as Booneville's equalizer against more athletic teams. Keep the ball out of their hands and they cannot get into any rhythm. Booneville has hard working kids who pour everything into football. But they do not have the same pool of great athletes in great numbers that they have had to match up against in Nashville, Warren, Dollarway, McGehee,etc.  If you allow those types of teams to get rolling against you it spells doom. Booneville typically sustains drives to keep it from happening.

You have to really think that Booneville's athletes are incredible to want to open up the passing game. Shiloh gets exactly the type of athletes needed for passing and yet they have been unable to win the AAA title.

Last year Nashville had a better team than Booneville, period. Even with a decent passing game it would not have mattered because Booneville could not stop Nashville. But in the past other things happened in years Booneville was great. They won with Becker and Co. , lost in title game due to the "fumble", lost to D-way due to early turnovers, etc. Coach Rip's way works as long as you hang onto the ball. Do not jump off the wagon because of Nashville's greatness last season.

If they increase the passing a little and work on it some it will be okay. Too much passing could be dangerous. All I am saying is do not give up on what has brought tremendous success and respect to the program.

Just my opinion.

Coach Jones

"SHOWKILLER"

Speaking of the kicking game, we have an 8th grader who is booting 35 yarders consistently. He is Jose Rios' little brother. There's something to look forward too.

Coach Jones

You know people from Booneville live and breath it when they are talking about 8th graders.   I love it.

B.S.

Where do you guys play Harrison and Morrilton?

"SHOWKILLER"

Catgrad79

Quote from: SHOWKILLER on August 05, 2006, 02:07:03 pm
Speaking of the kicking game, we have an 8th grader who is booting 35 yarders consistently. He is Jose Rios' little brother. There's something to look forward too.

He needs to be developed

RATTLER43

Tell us more about the Van Buren move-in.

tator_tot

his name is Aaron Russell...he is about 6'-6'1 about 185...playing some halfback and playing outside linebacker.

RATTLER43

Thanks. How is he looking? Will he have any impact?

"SHOWKILLER"

He will be starting on defense and will most likley be the punter.

catbacker76

In reguards to how i think  the cats will be this year.I played under scheel and rippy both coaches are very much alike(except coach rip alot nicer guy)anyways they both always stressed how important the scout team was during practice the harder the scout team (mostly underclassman)pushes the 1st string(mostly seniors)then the better the overall team will be.That being true then the scout team from last year must have been pretty good.Folks this years cats are the ones on the scout team last year.Also they played more minutes last year during the season than the starters cause of the mercy rule.So im thinking that the cats are gonna be pretty darn good.Besides they are bearcats they dont know how to lose.GO CATS GO!!!

alaskanstorm

booneville will done fine in the preseason against harrison and morilton (i've never really been impressed w/ either of their programs here lately).  i'm a firm believer that a great running team will beat a great passing team 85 percent of the time.  with that being said, it is my opinion that it really hasn't been booneville's passing game that has hurt them in the previous years it has been their special teams.  specifically place kicker, i mean how hard is it to take a player not receiving playing time in 7th grade and send him to the other field to kick field goals for 2-3 hrs.  booneville needs to develop players that can kick field goals >35yd instead of a kicker that makes 85% xpoints and is good from maybe 25 in.

instant replay

Even with "new blood", and "changes being made", Booneville probably finishes no higher than 3rd in their conference = a loss to Dardanelle, also either Clinton or Ozark, maybe both = 4th in the conference.

alaskanstorm

are you sleep walking?  if so you can wake up now.  3 or 4 is crazy booneville has been competing with the best teams in the state since the teams you mentioned were bottom dewellers.  booneville should sweep their conference with their only losses in regular season maybe coming in the preseason schedule.  i would be very surprised if the sandlizards beat them, along with ozark and clinton.  you must hang out with the channel 5 guy who came down to booneville and told coach rip that elkins was going to beat them.   to which he replied with a laugh "get out of my field house."

tator_tot

booneville will finish first in conference like we do every year!

RATTLER43

Quote from: instant replay on August 11, 2006, 12:58:40 am
Even with "new blood", and "changes being made", Booneville probably finishes no higher than 3rd in their conference = a loss to Dardanelle, also either Clinton or Ozark, maybe both = 4th in the conference.

I have Booneville picked to go undefeated in conference with a loss at morrilton being the only blemish (possible loss at Harrison; but I am beginning to reneg on that. Rip will have them ready for conference play even if they lose those two. They just will not be the typically dominant Bearcat squad to go deep into the playoffs this season. 10-2, maybe 11-2. Another great season for Coach Rippy and the Bearcats.

For any team to beat them will require so much discipline against the Bearcat offensive line. Morrilton will have the athletes and just enough discipline to get it done. Then say a Nashville, CAC, Warren, Stuttgart, etc. will eliminate them in the playoffs in 2nd or 3rd round.

Just my predictions.

Sandlizard_Hoss

Honestly...I firmly believe the sand lizards have the upper hand against any team in the new conference including Booneville...BUT--the way the lizards have been practicing during 2 a days, we will be lucky to win a game--effort put out at practice has been pathetic. Don't get me wrong there's those handful of players giving it their all, but it will take a whole team of lizards giving it their all to do well in this conference especially against Booneville, and they have the best three groups of players Dardanelle has seen in a while. You play like you practice so as of now the lizards have some shaping up to do...We're having to replace one of our best lineman (O and D) do to injury but if the lizards get their crap together and practice harder and with some effort we can come into this new conference being a big threat--but like I said, you play like you practice, we'll see how it goes. Right now if Dardanelle gets their crap together then I see the lizards playing Booneville in week 9 for the conference championship.

DB

Quote from: alaskanstorm on August 10, 2006, 11:35:35 pm
booneville will done fine in the preseason against harrison and morilton (i've never really been impressed w/ either of their programs here lately). 

I realize that you probably focus on Booneville and the 4A but did you not recognize that the Devil Dogs lost in the state championship game last year.

I can assure all of you Bearcat fans, you will not roll into Morrilton and find a team or its fans that disrespect you guys.  We will see this game as one that, win or lose, will help us prepare for our conference.  Now think about that statement.  We play in the toughest conference in 5A and we see the Booneville game as an advantage for us.  We played Rogers for the last two years and IMO gained nothing toward conference with that game.  We played Dardanelle for a couple of years and gained nothing from that game.  I think most folks around Morrilton will see the Booneville game as one that will be just as tough as Alma or Greenwood.  I really think the Booneville game will be tougher for us to win than the Harrison game.  Keep this in mind as well, last year, Pulaski Academy caught us sleeping after a big win over Russellville.  You guys are set up in the same position.  If we get caught sleeping, we could get spanked and spanked hard.

Guetz

Quote from: Dogs_Breath on August 13, 2006, 07:47:58 am
Quote from: alaskanstorm on August 10, 2006, 11:35:35 pm
booneville will done fine in the preseason against harrison and morilton (i've never really been impressed w/ either of their programs here lately). 

I realize that you probably focus on Booneville and the 4A but did you not recognize that the Devil Dogs lost in the state championship game last year.

I can assure all of you Bearcat fans, you will not roll into Morrilton and find a team or its fans that disrespect you guys.  We will see this game as one that, win or lose, will help us prepare for our conference.  Now think about that statement.  We play in the toughest conference in 5A and we see the Booneville game as an advantage for us.  We played Rogers for the last two years and IMO gained nothing toward conference with that game.  We played Dardanelle for a couple of years and gained nothing from that game.  I think most folks around Morrilton will see the Booneville game as one that will be just as tough as Alma or Greenwood.  I really think the Booneville game will be tougher for us to win than the Harrison game.  Keep this in mind as well, last year, Pulaski Academy caught us sleeping after a big win over Russellville.  You guys are set up in the same position.  If we get caught sleeping, we could get spanked and spanked hard.

Cats, DogsBreath speaks true, pay heed to him and thank him for the props too.  They're going to be a tough game and a learning experience.  Also remember that Greenwood refused to match-up with us!  The weenies!  LOL

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas