• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA football

Started by Mr_Deb, June 26, 2006, 02:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Deb

who all is looking forward to the bears d-1aa step up, think theyll cross paths with mcneese state in the near future maybe the play-offs?

SouthpawSensation

First, the Bears will have to wait out the probation period, however long that will be.
Secondly, it will be a matter of scheduling. UCA will be in the Southland, along with McNeese State, so it depends on if and when the two teams want to hook up.

SandLizard04

Correct. It will be four or five years, I forget which, until we're eligible for the playoffs. However, like SS said, McNeese State and UCA will both be members of the Southland Conference, so that meeting will take place a lot sooner than a playoff one would.

Go Bears!

Radiohead Bear

unless I'm badly mistaken, starting the 2007 season, we will play McNeese once a year on a rotating home and home basis, just like every other SLC football school.  So yes, you will see them a whole lot sooner than later.

Radiohead Bear

BTW, not to be the total rump in the group, but starting Saturday, we wont be posting in the GSC forum anymore!  July 1 is almost here

Will they make a SLC forum? Or will we be relegated to the general forum with the hogs, longwhorns, and any and every other college, pro or whatever else?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Radiohead Bear on June 26, 2006, 11:32:51 pm
BTW, not to be the total rump in the group, but starting Saturday, we wont be posting in the GSC forum anymore!  July 1 is almost here

Will they make a SLC forum? Or will we be relegated to the general forum with the hogs, longwhorns, and any and every other college, pro or whatever else?

I don't know.  Hopefully they will branch off and start a generalized college football forum.

Let me be the first Wonderboy convert to wish you luck in your new direction.  Since you are no longer competition I will gladly root for you to represent the state.

Radiohead Bear

and likewise.  I still know plenty of people in and around R'ville.

R. A.™

I do have one question for the UCA faithful before the SLC move, is it true that Thompson is cleaning house as far as the administration?

Mr_Deb

Quote from: Radiohead Bear on June 26, 2006, 11:28:49 pm
unless I'm badly mistaken, starting the 2007 season, we will play McNeese once a year on a rotating home and home basis, just like every other SLC football school.  So yes, you will see them a whole lot sooner than later.

thats great im looking forward to them and the cowboys is it just me or do you guys think the slc is becoming a better football conference than the sun belt?

JoshUCA

I agree that the Southland is a better conference than the Sun Belt, and the Southland is just getting better all the time!

SandLizard04

seark66

Quote from: JoshUCA on June 27, 2006, 12:28:35 pm
I agree that the Southland is a better conference than the Sun Belt, and the Southland is just getting better all the time!

I'd say it was a better football conference, yes. However, as far as all sports...I'd say the Sun Belt was ahead of the Southland as a "conference".

SingleWingGuru

June 27, 2006, 03:48:46 pm #12 Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:41:00 pm by Jeremy2653
Quote from: seark66 on June 27, 2006, 03:44:16 pm
Quote from: JoshUCA on June 27, 2006, 12:28:35 pm

I'd say it was a better football conference, yes. However, as far as all sports...I'd say the Sun Belt was ahead of the Southland as a "conference".

Agreed.  After watching the Texas State/Texas A and M game, i honestly believe the southland could have actually had more than ONE outside conference win in Div 1-A, unlike the sunbelt.

seark66

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on June 27, 2006, 03:48:46 pm
Agreed.  After watching the Texas Southern/Texas A and M game, i honestly believe the southland could have actually had more than ONE outside conference win in Div 1-A, unlike the sunbelt.

You meant Texas State, and I agree. Neely, the Texas State QB, did some great things for them last year. It was disappointing how their season ended, with him just lobbing it up and a Northern Iowa guy picking it off. I really thought Texas State would have taken the National Championship at the I-AA level last season.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: seark66 on June 27, 2006, 04:01:51 pm
Quote from: Jeremy2653 on June 27, 2006, 03:48:46 pm
Agreed.  After watching the Texas Southern/Texas A and M game, i honestly believe the southland could have actually had more than ONE outside conference win in Div 1-A, unlike the sunbelt.

You meant Texas State, and I agree. Neely, the Texas State QB, did some great things for them last year. It was disappointing how their season ended, with him just lobbing it up and a Northern Iowa guy picking it off. I really thought Texas State would have taken the National Championship at the I-AA level last season.

Sorry, i was in a hurry to go play basketball with my little brother.  I fixed it.

SouthpawSensation

Thought all the Bear faithful would enjoy this. Any help on the karma ratings will be appreciated.  :)
For Central Arkansas, the calm before Division I storm
By NOAH TRISTER
AP Sports Writer
LITTLE ROCK (AP) — Clint Conque has been enjoying his final days of relaxation — before a season unlike any other in Central Arkansas' football history.
"Obviously we've got a lot of challenges," the Bears' coach said Thursday. "With those challenges come opportunity."
Central Arkansas' first season as a Division I-AA school starts next month. Practice begins Aug. 8. The Bears' opening game is Aug. 31 at Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium against Henderson State, a regional rival from Division II.
Through the last few months, there have been signs that this year is different — from the quality of Central Arkansas' recruiting class to the number of players hanging around campus during the summer.
"I think everybody is going to be real interested in how competitive we're going to be from the beginning," said John Thompson, the school's new athletic director.
Thompson understands as well as anyone with how far the Bears have come. He was a defensive back for two seasons at Central Arkansas and graduated in 1978. After a coaching career that included stints as an assistant at Arkansas, Alabama, Florida and LSU, he was hired by his alma mater in May after previous athletic director Vance Strange resigned.
Oh, how things can change in three decades.
"We're now a Division I school instead of being an NAIA," Thompson said. "It's a whole lot of difference. It's a challenge in every regard."
But it's a challenge the Bears felt was worth facing — even before they won their first Gulf South Conference title last season and advanced to the Division II quarterfinals. Central Arkansas won three national titles as an NAIA school, and has had only three losing seasons since moving to NCAA Division II in 1993.
Now, the Bears are in another transition period as they enter the Southland Conference. The school should be a full member of Division I by the end of the 2009-10 academic year, but for now, it's not eligible for postseason play.
So Central Arkansas' focus for now is on making the move as smooth as possible — and Strange's resignation could have been a setback. But Conque — who admits he was surprised by the change — said Thompson's knowledge of the state will help the transition.
Thompson says he expects the football team to succeed, even if the going is tough at first.
"I don't think one season is going to make or break us," he said. "We're just trying to catch up to having the same number of scholarships that the people we're playing have had for 20 years."
That could be the hardest adjustment — developing depth. Conque said Central Arkansas' move to Division I has helped recruiting, and so did last year's 11-3 record. He said this year's freshmen will have the opportunity to contribute right away.
And the Bears do have several dynamic players left over from last year. Quarterback Nathan Brown became the starter in the sixth game of 2005 and led the team to an 8-1 record the rest of the way, earning freshman of the year honors in the GSC.
Aaron Fairooz, a 6-foot-6 receiver, set school records with 76 receptions and 1,197 yards receiving as a junior in 2005.
"As he goes, I think our offense is going to go," Conque said of Fairooz. "Even when we're not throwing the football, I think he's going to command a lot of attention."
On defense, the Bears must replace safety Cory Cangelosi, who received the Commissioner's Trophy last month as the GSC's top male athlete in 2005-06. But Central Arkansas still has plenty of experience on that side of the ball, including defensive end Jacob Ford and linebacker Quentin Maxfield — both first-team All-GSC picks last year.
Ford is looking forward to Central Arkansas' schedule, which is predictably difficult. The Bears start with Henderson State, a GSC team they beat 55-7 in 2005. After that, they'll start traveling.
Central Arkansas' six road games include trips to Georgia Southern — a I-AA playoff team in 2005 — and UC Davis, which won at Stanford last year. The Bears won't play a full Southland schedule yet. They do have two games against Southland teams — at Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston State.
Ford isn't worried about all the travel.
"I like seeing new places," he said.
The Central Arkansas football program will be seeing plenty of them in the coming years.

Mr_Deb

thanks i have to say i enjoyed that alot

R. A.™

I wonder how long it will be before thompson is the HC of football? :)

McKnz

Just out of curiousity, why do they have to wait to be eligible for the playoffs?

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Gtown10 on July 27, 2006, 06:52:52 pm
Just out of curiousity, why do they have to wait to be eligible for the playoffs?

Because they aren't even playing a full schedule this year?

Rulesman

Quote from: Gtown10 on July 27, 2006, 06:52:52 pm
Div 1-AA rules.

SouthpawSensation

That usually applies to anybody moving up to another classification.

McKnz

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on July 28, 2006, 12:04:13 am
That usually applies to anybody moving up to another classification.

Ok, cool. I wasn't aware of this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas