• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA Looking for new AD

Started by RisonRacingFan, May 05, 2006, 03:14:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

R. A.™

WOW!! What happened? Before the move up and now the AD resigns? and it is effective immediately?!?!?

RisonRacingFan

I dont know much about it..but I find it interesting as well.

SouthpawSensation

I just read the story .... here's what I caught. And this does strange (no pun intended).

Cent Arkansas athletic director Strange resigns
CONWAY, Ark. (AP) — Central Arkansas athletic director Vance Strange has resigned effective immediately, the university announced Friday.
The university gave no explanation for Strange's resignation.
"Vance Strange has served the University of Central Arkansas well in many capacities, as a student, coach and athletic director," President Lu Hardin said in a statement. "We are indebted to Vance for his service. No one loves UCA more than Vance Strange."
Hardin said a search for Strange's replacement was underway.
Strange was hired May 15, 2003, after a career in sales and development for J.A. Riggs Tractor Company in Little Rock. He served on the coaching staff at UCA early in his career. He was both assistant football coach and track and field coach from 1975-1978.
During this stint, he won an Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference Track and Field Championship and coached Monte Coleman, who later became an all-pro player in the National Football League for the Washington Redskins.
Strange has worked in athletic positions at Henderson State, Hendrix, Austin College in Sherman, Texas, and the Conway School District. He also served as president of the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

RisonRacingFan

Why would the guy just up and quit?

SouthpawSensation

The first question would be health issues, and unless something drastic has happened since the last time I saw him, that wouldn't be the case.
Secondly, I would find out if he happened to make the wrong person upset. If that wasn't the case, then I would have to wonder if he thought the move to I-AA in football and I-A in other sports was just too much for him.

SouthpawSensation

Adding to the story, Strange is now referring all questions to UCA president Lu Hardin. Something is in the air in Conway ... the question now is who did Strange tick off?

arreferee

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on May 05, 2006, 04:59:55 pm
The first question would be health issues, and unless something drastic has happened since the last time I saw him, that wouldn't be the case.
Secondly, I would find out if he happened to make the wrong person upset. If that wasn't the case, then I would have to wonder if he thought the move to I-AA in football and I-A in other sports was just too much for him.

Since he isn't saying anything, I assume it isn't health related, but Coach Strange has had some health problems in the past.

Rulesman

Could it be that he and Hardin weren't seeing eye to eye?

Doughboy

Heard that one of the coaches was not happy with a decision  made by the AD and went directly to a board member who in turn went to the president.  The president backed the coach.  May be more to it than that.  If that is the case, I do not blame the AD from resigning.  Also, if I were the president of an institution of higher education and one of my coaches went directly to one of my board members. that coach probably would be looking for a job.

Yee-Haw

Early name ....Ken Hatfield

R. A.™

Quote from: Yee-Haw on May 06, 2006, 02:32:28 pm
Early name ....Ken Hatfield

No way in Hades!!! Coach Hatfield is reportly building a new home in NWA, besides UCA can't afford him

Yee-Haw

Just telling what I hear in Conway.

And he has family in LR/Conway, as well

Radiohead Bear

don't be surprised to hear John Thompson and Harold Horton thrown out either...just what I hear as well...

R. A.™

I would love to see Coach Horton and the coach that is in question that played a part in Coach Strange's leaving meet.

eray

More early names floating around the water cooler.

Clifton Ealy--UCA Alum, former UCA Coach, D1 experience and a minority!

Harold Horton- Former UCA Head Coach

John Thompson---UCA Alum, D1 Experience. Looking to be closer to family in Forrest City

Ken Hatfield---I don't see any ties or reasons for him to take the job.

Also the current Sr. Associate AD, I think Darryl is his first name.

Rulesman

Quote from: football guru on May 06, 2006, 04:22:57 pm

Also the current Sr. Associate AD, I think Darryl is his first name.

That would be Darryl Walsh.

R. A.™

I would like to see Darryl get the job

txdad

Quote from: Doughboy on May 06, 2006, 09:12:14 am
Heard that one of the coaches was not happy with a decision made by the AD and went directly to a board member who in turn went to the president. The president backed the coach. May be more to it than that. If that is the case, I do not blame the AD from resigning. Also, if I were the president of an institution of higher education and one of my coaches went directly to one of my board members. that coach probably would be looking for a job.

You heard correctly.

CatsRule

Heard that one of the coaches was not happy with a decision made by the AD and went directly to a board member who in turn went to the president. The president backed the coach. May be more to it than that. If that is the case, I do not blame the AD from resigning. Also, if I were the president of an institution of higher education and one of my coaches went directly to one of my board members. that coach probably would be looking for a job.

To elaborate on this...

After reading the entire thread, it was stated that Rand Chappell (I believe) was denied a raise by the AD (Strange) and went to Lu and the Board of Trustees to get what he wanted.

Doughboy

Quote from: CatsRule on May 07, 2006, 03:36:56 am

To elaborate on this...

After reading the entire thread, it was stated that Rand Chappell (I believe) was denied a raise by the AD (Strange) and went to Lu and the Board of Trustees to get what he wanted.

Nothing wrong in going to the President if the coach went to the AD first.  Still think that the President should back his staff, in this case the AD.  However, like I said before, if I was President and one of my employees went to a board member prior to me, I would have a good come to Jesus meeting with that employee, and if it happened again, fire them.

R. A.™

Did the BB Coach ask for the raise himself? If so why? Did another coach get a raise?

txdad

The issue in question was not a raise for a coach.

CatsRule

Quote from: txdad on May 07, 2006, 08:04:33 pm

I probably should have added that what I posted isn't fact.  I was just telling you what I read off of the UCA chat forum. 

D-way Trey

Quote from: CatsRule on May 07, 2006, 09:34:51 pm
Quote from: txdad on May 07, 2006, 08:04:33 pm

I probably should have added that what I posted isn't fact.  I was just telling you what I read off of the UCA chat forum. 
You read that Coach Chappell was upset because of being denied a raise? Where? I missed that on UCAFANS.com. And I check it pretty often.

R. A.™

May 08, 2006, 03:39:46 pm #25 Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 03:42:18 pm by R. A.™
Quote from: TreyUCA on May 08, 2006, 03:04:53 pm
You read that Coach Chappell was upset because of being denied a raise? Where? I missed that on UCAFANS.com. And I check it pretty often.

the following qoute is from UCAFANS.com. The "stomping" should be a dead give away of who the coach is.  The raise part is just hear say I assume, only the people involve know the reasons :-\

"The word on Beatrice Powell Drive is that a certain coach got "stomping" mad at a decision Vance made so he "rushed" over to a certain board memebr to override the AD. Lu backed the trustee over Vance , so Vance said c u later tater!"

D-way Trey

Yeah, I caught that. But I still haven't found where it's about a salary dispute.

R. A.™

Quote from: TreyUCA on May 08, 2006, 03:41:28 pm
Yeah, I caught that. But I still haven't found where it's about a salary dispute.

It is not on UCAFans.com

Radiohead Bear

May 09, 2006, 12:28:02 am #28 Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:30:08 am by Bear Card
what thread are they referring to, or which UCA board other than UCAFans.com?  As far as I can tell nothing has been mentioned over on our board about a raise...unless I missed it or simply overlooked it.

R. A.™

Quote from: CatsRule on May 07, 2006, 03:36:56 am
To elaborate on this...

This is all i can find concerning the money

Radiohead Bear

Press/News Conference WEdnesday 11am...looks like John Thompson will be hired if I got my story straight...again...

athletic supporter

Joe Foley has AD experience and is an alum of UCA.

Radiohead Bear

never even thought of that...you should have brought that up on our board...

athletic supporter

Quote from: Bear Card on May 09, 2006, 03:02:21 pm
never even thought of that...you should have brought that up on our board...

have they already hired?

SouthpawSensation

I really don't see Joe Foley going to UCA. He's now a Division I coach with a lot of unfinished business on his slate. I'm sure his goal is to make UALR a winning program and won't quit until he gets there.

Radiohead Bear

word I got presser is tomorrow morning and all indications are that it will be John Thompson.  I guess we wont know 100% officially until it goes off, but I usually get good info.

Radiohead Bear

It's John Thompson....new AD of University of Central Arkansas

warpaint

Well, Bear Card, what are your thoughts?

He has my support. I don't know what kind of experience he has except coaching at the D-1 level, but I'm behind him.

Radiohead Bear

He has his supporters and he has his detractors, much like anyone else in a high position like that.  Vance was well liked among a lot ofpeople, but he was very much disliked by a lot of people as well.  Now I'm not sure of what type of administrative and fund rasinig skills Thompson  has.  But of all the others mentioned that I had known about, I'm no sure any of them had that skill set except for Horton.  Hopefully as many places as he has been around, he has bound to pick up a thing or two here or there.  He does have UCA background, so I would guess that is a plus.  although UCA is a little different now that what it was when he waround in the 70s or 80s.

No matter who UCA hired,  the work will be long and hard with all the transition going around at UCA, and not just his position, but through the whole athletic department and the move up to Division 1.  It is an exciting time at UCA, no doubt, I'm going to sit back and enjoy what I hope is a long ride ina new era of UCA athletics.

R. A.™

Yee-Haw

So I hear that JT and Sweet Lu hoisted a UCA football helmet as some sort of symbolic gesture as he was introduced at this press conference.

Gimme an e'ffing break. Has Clint Conque done something other-wordly in his time at UCA and I missed it?

How many conference titles has he ever won?
How many conference titles has Rand Chappell ever won?
What is the fascination with this guy?

(Note: All rhetorical questions. They don't need to be answered)

R. A.™

If the helmet hoisting is true, then I wonder how long it will be before Thompson is coaching UCA football?

RHS

I wonder how long he will last as AD with very little, if any, administrative experience.

CatsRule

May 11, 2006, 05:10:20 am #44 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 05:23:00 am by CatsRule
Quote from: Bear Card on May 09, 2006, 12:28:02 am
what thread are they referring to, or which UCA board other than UCAFans.com? As far as I can tell nothing has been mentioned over on our board about a raise...unless I missed it or simply overlooked it.

Easy fellas.

I followed the original linked that was posted and tried to read every single post.  Look at page 6 of the original link posted on THIS thread.  On that page you will find the following post:

"The real deal is Vance was un-able to do his job effectively. He was forced to work out of a shack, coaches if they wanted to could go above his head and get whatever they wanted. A certain coach wanted a raise and Vance declines because their other coaches paid a lot less, more deserving of a raise. All that coach needed to do was go t othe prez and his favorite board member.
I think this was a long time coming, and finally-the last straw. No one could work under conditions such as these."

That is where I got the idea that it was about a raise.  I don't make things up out of thin air for the sheer enjoyment of creating controversy.  I did, however, make a mistake.  No where in that particular post was Rand Chappell's name mentioned, but his name did appear a couple of times within close proximity to that post, so I assumed that he was the person being talked about in this particular post.  I apologize if I threw a huge curveball at you all, but that was what I ended up getting from what I read.  I did read it very late at night while somewhat tired, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say I got confused along the way. 

D-way Trey

Quote from: RHS on May 11, 2006, 01:18:03 am
I wonder how long he will last as AD with very little, if any, administrative experience.
Coach Broyles coached from 1947-1976 = almost 20 years, granted 57-76 was as head coach.
Coach Thompson coached (on the collegiate level) from 83-05 = 23 years or so, only three years as a head coach.
The guy has been around a long time. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Broyles, but there's nothing to say a coach - you could more easily make a list of AD's who weren't coaches - can't be a very successful AD.

In the DemGaz today, Lu had a quote saying that the ECU football budget was equal to UCA's entire budget. Although he didn't have success there (ECU hasn't had a winning season since 2000), he was the head guy. I think he'll be able to handle it, and brings instant name recognition from most Arkansas sports fans.

tcockerham

I think UCA got a "Keeper" for an AD, congrats!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas