• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A change needed for Tech basketball?

Started by SouthpawSensation, February 25, 2006, 11:52:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthpawSensation

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to throw this out.
After finishing a lousy 2-14 in GSC play this season, is it time for a coaching change for Arkansas Tech's men?
Rick McCormick has proved to do nothing since being there. He hasn't come close to getting the Wonder Boys in the GSC tournament in the three years he's been the coach.
What does everybody else think?

WonderBoy17

Word around campus he is already out.  The Board of Trustees voted on that earlier in the month.

SingleWingGuru

When you are given a bag of crap you can't turn it into gold.

The problem does not lay in the coach, it lays in a lack of funding and general support for Men's Basketball....

McCormick is a good coach... a NCAAJC national championship coach, and a good recruiter given the funding he has....

Until the University commits itself to all around excellence it will not work.

spaceeater

I watched a couple of Tech games this year.  McCormick is what you find alot around D2 coaching, a loud, profane ego maniac who if he spent half as much time coaching his kids as he did yelling at the refs, he would go undefeated.  The attendance was appauling as well; after paying the staff, refs, and other expenses, they have to be losing $5000/game, minimum.  The putting of 200 fans in Tucker Coliseum which seats 4000 or so makes the worst atmosphere I have seen in a while.  Go a few miles down the road to Harding, you will find 3500 or so packed in their gym with 1500-2000 students who might be the best student body section in America, screaming their heads.  It can work, but at Tech, it ain't.  The credit or blame therefore falls on the Head Man.  You do the math; Losing + Last place in the league when others near by are doing well + Losing nearly $100,000 for lack of attendance + a lack of building respect for your university + Not being competitive in your half of the league = CHANGE.

hsu1

it was kinda funny watching henderson come back from a 17-3 first qt. deficit to beat tech.  i'm sorry but any team who gives up a 15 or so point lead in the 2nd half to lose in ot needs a change.

done

Just tell us how they r not funded?  You seem to have some knowledge of tech athletics that no one else does....

R. A.™

The Women's Coach is the one that needs to be looked at. At the HSU game here I could hear every word he was saying from my seat at the scorer's bench and the way he was talking to the girls, if I was the AD he would have been fired after the first half of the game.

SandLizard04

Wasn't there a game not too long ago where the attendance was 2 people?

SingleWingGuru

February 27, 2006, 01:38:14 pm #8 Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 01:39:56 pm by Jeremy2653
Quote from: tucker on February 26, 2006, 09:29:30 pm
Just tell us how they r not funded? You seem to have some knowledge of tech athletics that no one else does....

Programs that win are GENERALLY well funded....

Tech is not....

That has nothing to do with inside knowledge, that is something very obvious.  You know.... every single cent Tech spends is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE.  You can go to the courthouse or you can go to Tech Administration office and request anything regarding money....  It is a state college.

Aikman8

R. A.™

The change has been made

ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY ANNOUNCES THE RESIGNATION OF HEAD MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH RICK McCORMICK
RUSSELLVILLE, Arkansas – Arkansas Tech University Athletic Director Steve Mullins announced Monday that Rick McCormick has resigned as the school's head men's basketball coach effective immediately.
"I have enjoyed my time at Arkansas Tech University. I am appreciative of the opportunity to serve as the head men's basketball coach at Tech. I knew it would be a challenge in taking over the program, and the Gulf South Conference has proved to be one of the most competitive NCAA Division II conferences in the nation," McCormick said Monday. "I have had some great experiences, not only with the kids who have come through our program and graduated, but with the many fine people in the Russellville community and Arkansas River Valley region."
McCormick, who was named the program's 19th head coach in May of 2003, compiled a 28-53 overall record with the Wonder Boys. After taking the job late in the recruiting period, McCormick's teams improved their won/loss record in each of his three seasons. The Wonder Boys finished the 2005-06 season at home Saturday with a 78-61 loss to second-ranked Delta State to finish with an overall record of 11-16.
"I want to thank Coach McCormick for all of his hard work in leading our men's basketball program," Mullins said in a statement on Monday. "We wish Rick [McCormick] the best of luck in his future endeavors."
McCormick's third and final team began the season with a 9-2 start in non-conference play, its best start in 21 years, but in GSC play were involved in five games that were decided in overtime or double overtime and two others that were decided on a last second shot. Tech went 1-6 in those seven games to finish with an overall record of 11-16.
Mullins said that a national search for McCormick's replacement will begin immediately and hopes to complete the process before the spring recruiting period begins.

SouthpawSensation

If I was Mullins (of course, I'm not), I think a couple that would be ideal for the job would be Charlie Schaef at Ouachita, or the head coach at Harding. They already know the GSC, and I'm sure the move from a private to a state-funded school would help.

done

Quote from: Jeremy2653 on February 27, 2006, 01:38:14 pm
Just tell us how they r not funded? You seem to have some knowledge of tech athletics that no one else does....

Tech is not....

That has nothing to do with inside knowledge, that is something very obvious. You know.... every single cent Tech spends is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. You can go to the courthouse or you can go to Tech Administration office and request anything regarding money.... It is a state college.

And your point was.....what did you really just say?

Oh, I did get the straight info.  I called and asked instead of assuming some "obvious" info on my own.

They are funded at 100% in scholarships. 

I called the university athletic dept. and was told that.  It is common knowledge.  What other funding problems could they have?  What could they be denied that would make them win?  Explain yourself......

I don't see where that is the problem.  How do you know they are not well funded?  I am tired of one person with a key board and an attitude being taken as the gospel truth.  Facts are facts, opinions and rumor are not fact just because someone types them on the computer.  I say YOU call and get some facts and then back them up instead of acting like some expert in what is wrong with a program.  I am tired of your raving about "knowing" things.  Give proof and then we can work from that.....

I am not particularly fond of any one program, I am just tired of hearing people spout off.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: tucker on February 27, 2006, 03:40:51 pm
Quote from: Jeremy2653 on February 27, 2006, 01:38:14 pm

Tech is not....

That has nothing to do with inside knowledge, that is something very obvious. You know.... every single cent Tech spends is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. You can go to the courthouse or you can go to Tech Administration office and request anything regarding money.... It is a state college.

And your point was.....what did you really just say?

Oh, I did get the straight info. I called and asked instead of assuming some "obvious" info on my own.

They are funded at 100% in scholarships.

I called the university athletic dept. and was told that. It is common knowledge. What other funding problems could they have? What could they be denied that would make them win? Explain yourself......

I don't see where that is the problem. How do you know they are not well funded? I am tired of one person with a key board and an attitude being taken as the gospel truth. Facts are facts, opinions and rumor are not fact just because someone types them on the computer. I say YOU call and get some facts and then back them up instead of acting like some expert in what is wrong with a program. I am tired of your raving about "knowing" things. Give proof and then we can work from that.....

I am not particularly fond of any one program, I am just tired of hearing people spout off.

1.  In any post did I say they are not funded 100% scholarship wise?  No i did not.  If you assume things, you are wrong.  Money to make a program work includes more than scholarships.  Just look at the facilities Tech has and then look at the other GSC schools that are competitive in basketball.  UWG, UCA, HSU, Harding....  Look at the type of recruits that would bring in, and look at the recruiting budget.  We do not fund the program adequately.  It has less to do with scholarships and more to do with the university being proactive.  Look at how Tech travels to games, and then look how UCA and Henderson State do---- the funding gap is obvious in the vehicles, the equipment, and even the facilities inside of Tucker.

2.  I'm glad you finally got the initiative to call someone at Tech instead of "spouting off" yourself.  Mind telling us who you talked to?  I'll wait for a reply, because I highly doubt you even spoke to anyone.

3.  Nothing anyone says on Fearless Friday is the Gospel truth, and if you have came here in search of that you are sadly mistaken.  This is opinions on why the tech program is failing, and i have mine.  Coaches have came through the program unsuccessfully.... how many coaches does it take to realize it is the operation of the basketball program on an administrative level that is failing.   It does not take rocket science to figure out that if something doesn't work (new coaches), you don't keep doing it over and over again.

4.  I'll bring some facts to the table this week, after i ACTUALLY call and talk to the Athletic offices at UCA and ATU and compare the two for you... You will be shocked.

5.  "I say YOU call and get some facts and then back them up instead of acting like some expert in what is wrong with a program. I am tired of your raving about "knowing" things. Give proof and then we can work from that....."
If you knew who I was you would know that I have previously worked in the Tech Athletic department (even if it was a lowly desk job), honestly how close have you been to tech athletics?  Pretty far if you are willing to argue that Tech adequately funds the Basketball program.  IF you are actually somehow legitimately involved in the Athletic Department at tech, maybe you are the problem I speak of---but I highly doubt that.

You my friend, need to to "spout off" less yourself.  The finances of the university are public to anyone willing to look for them, and if you would have ACTUALLY called and talked to someone they would have given you a monetary number for the program and a name for you to bring to this forum.

I suggest you fight fire with fire, and if you wish to disprove me---bring real evidence to the table. Your version of disputing the fact that i think the university needs to put more funds in the basketball program, is by resorting to name calling and telling the world how offended you are that someone else that goes to tech doesn't feel the same way that you did.

P.S.  It doesn't really matter, you got what you wanted, Turkey Gobbler McCormick resigned.  We'll start this whole thing over again, and blame it on the coach.

done

February 27, 2006, 11:01:37 pm #14 Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:10:50 pm by tucker
You type alot, but don't really say anything.....blah, blah, blah.

A desk job you had, huh?  Hah.

Get specific with your "comparisons"  cause I don't get your "oh, everyone is so much better funded than us" rational.  That is the problem with people who spout off, they can't back it up.  I haven't spouted, I've just called YOU out.  I am tired of smart alecs with a laptop preaching the word to anyone who will listen.  Just WHAT do you know?  Why not just say we didn't win with this coach.  Is that not good enough or do we have to get sensational.....

This is about YOU not me.  If you can get on here and claim to have the one and true explanation, then give facts, not your opinion....who needs it.  I called the AD and he told me. 

You cannot compare UCA to any other GSC school because they are not DII.  What is wrong with TUCKER, the TECH bus, the travel budget?  You are just blowing smoke....get a life.  I'll bet your some disgruntled former GA or manager.

Maybe the last two coaches just couldn't get it done..... :-X  Ever thought of that original solution?  Let see, how many basketball coaches has TECH had in the past 20 years?  I know, why don't you major in Coaching and YOU can be the new coach.

I'm done, you can restate all of my comments and call me out if it makes you feel better, but before you spout off any more, give some solid reasons about what the new coach needs to do to win or who you think can get it done.  Don't rehash your "funding crap" any more, it's beginning to sound petty, like you have some unresolved grudge.... :-*

SouthpawSensation

February 27, 2006, 11:54:19 pm #15 Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:58:12 pm by SouthpawSensation
What does Tech need to improve its basketball and get people in the stands? Allow me to throw some possibilities.
1 -- A proven head coach, preferrably with experience at DII. As we found out with McCormick, there's a big difference between junior college and the GSC.
2 -- During conference games, most games are scheduled to start at 8 p.m. When you're talking Monday and Thursday nights, parents aren't going to take their kids there because it's too late, which in turn means they won't attend as well. Bump the games up to 5 and 7 p.m., and there might be a difference, or find a way to swap the men's and women's games from time to time for a little different flavor.
3 -- Play some games on Saturday, and it doesn't hurt to have afternoon games. Play the games at 2 and 4 p.m., or even go 4 and 6 p.m. as Ouachita or Christian Brothers like to do. That way, you don't usually have games going with high schools or junior highs, which they do on Mondays and Thursdays.
4 -- Promote the product. Why does Harding get so many people to their men's games and has the best atmosphere in the GSC? The games are promoted well. Tech needs to find a way to promote its basketball, get its student body excited about the Wonder Boys and Golden Suns and have that place rocking each and every night. That will be magnified next season when UCA -- Tech biggest draw -- is gone for greener pastures.

R. A.™

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 27, 2006, 03:37:38 pm
If I was Mullins (of course, I'm not), I think a couple that would be ideal for the job would be Charlie Schaef at Ouachita, or the head coach at Harding. They already know the GSC, and I'm sure the move from a private to a state-funded school would help.

You would be surprised at how much they are being paid at those Private schools. There is no limit on their salary as there would be @ a state school. Plus the benefit package at OBU is unbeleiveable

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: R. A.™ on February 28, 2006, 08:32:00 am
Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 27, 2006, 03:37:38 pm

You would be surprised at how much they are being paid at those Private schools. There is no limit on their salary as there would be @ a state school. Plus the benefit package at OBU is unbeleiveable
What I meant was the fact that some players will not go to private schools for various reasons (examples -- the cost, academic standards and other things like that), where they may not be as restricted at a public school.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: done on February 27, 2006, 11:01:37 pm
You type alot, but don't really say anything.....blah, blah, blah.

A desk job you had, huh?  Hah.

Get specific with your "comparisons"  cause I don't get your "oh, everyone is so much better funded than us" rational.  That is the problem with people who spout off, they can't back it up.  I haven't spouted, I've just called YOU out.  I am tired of smart alecs with a laptop preaching the word to anyone who will listen.  Just WHAT do you know?  Why not just say we didn't win with this coach.  Is that not good enough or do we have to get sensational.....

This is about YOU not me.  If you can get on here and claim to have the one and true explanation, then give facts, not your opinion....who needs it. I called the AD and he told me.

You cannot compare UCA to any other GSC school because they are not DII. What is wrong with TUCKER, the TECH bus, the travel budget? You are just blowing smoke....get a life. I'll bet your some disgruntled former GA or manager.

Maybe the last two coaches just couldn't get it done..... :-X Ever thought of that original solution? Let see, how many basketball coaches has TECH had in the past 20 years? I know, why don't you major in Coaching and YOU can be the new coach.

I'm done, you can restate all of my comments and call me out if it makes you feel better, but before you spout off any more, give some solid reasons about what the new coach needs to do to win or who you think can get it done. Don't rehash your "funding crap" any more, it's beginning to sound petty, like you have some unresolved grudge.... :-*

I am majoring in coaching (HPE)...  and I'm a senior.... at Tech.

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 27, 2006, 11:54:19 pm
What does Tech need to improve its basketball and get people in the stands? Allow me to throw some possibilities.
1 -- A proven head coach, preferrably with experience at DII. As we found out with McCormick, there's a big difference between junior college and the GSC.
2 -- During conference games, most games are scheduled to start at 8 p.m. When you're talking Monday and Thursday nights, parents aren't going to take their kids there because it's too late, which in turn means they won't attend as well. Bump the games up to 5 and 7 p.m., and there might be a difference, or find a way to swap the men's and women's games from time to time for a little different flavor.
3 -- Play some games on Saturday, and it doesn't hurt to have afternoon games. Play the games at 2 and 4 p.m., or even go 4 and 6 p.m. as Ouachita or Christian Brothers like to do. That way, you don't usually have games going with high schools or junior highs, which they do on Mondays and Thursdays.
4 -- Promote the product. Why does Harding get so many people to their men's games and has the best atmosphere in the GSC? The games are promoted well. Tech needs to find a way to promote its basketball, get its student body excited about the Wonder Boys and Golden Suns and have that place rocking each and every night. That will be magnified next season when UCA -- Tech biggest draw -- is gone for greener pastures.

Excellent post.

R. A.™

4 -- Promote the product. Why does Harding get so many people to their men's games and has the best atmosphere in the GSC? The games are promoted well.

At one time it was required that all members of the Harding Social Clubs attend the games. I think they have become relaxed over the requirements, but none the less, plus 85-90% of all Harding students live on campus

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: R. A.™ on March 02, 2006, 04:26:06 pm
4 -- Promote the product. Why does Harding get so many people to their men's games and has the best atmosphere in the GSC? The games are promoted well.

At one time it was required that all members of the Harding Social Clubs attend the games. I think they have become relaxed over the requirements, but none the less, plus 85-90% of all Harding students live on campus

Not to mention they are rowdy as heck

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas