• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

YAHOO!, lol. What a source.

But hey.....Bill Self was coming here......as was Calipari.......then a 100  years ago it was Paul Bear Bryant that was in the running.....

The cycle continues of "we can land the big names" over and over.

High Voltage

Quote from: AirWarren on October 29, 2018, 06:58:10 pm
Dude. We have been mediocre bull crap for 28 years of the 33 I've been on earth.

Nothing is going to change it.

I'm not defending Morris or the kids. Both suck bad If ask me. But you don't turn a 4 win jelly sandwich eating machine into a 9-10 win team in 10 months. Especially in the SEC.

Give the man some time. If he sucks. He sucks. We will fire him and hire the next Derek Dooley. We will be spoon fed the same BS that we have the location, facilities etc etc to HIRE ANY COACH IN AMERICA.....yet we had our chance and look where we are....a no name.

The revolving door of mediocrity continues to spin.

The good news is this great recruiting class he has assembled in 10 months is better than goof ball ever did while he was here. So evidently he has some clout as a coach if he is hauling in 4* players back to back to back. The players must not think anything of the "high school coach" crap.
We have not been mediocre for the last 28 seasons. Petrino had us top 5 two years while he was here. Nutt took us to the SEC championship. Now, with Danny Ford we were totally mediocre.

footballfan-tastic

Here is another with a good list of folks that were believed to be good fits.
I know this only means somebody thought they were possibilities but this is where searches begin and also the media usually digs into sources for their story.  Another factor here is where Morris is listed on this list.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2017/11/26/16699700/which-coaching-candidates-fit-the-arkansas-job

AirWarren

1985- 10-2
1986- 9-3
1987- 9-4
1988- 10-2
1989-10-2

^Frank Broyles and his minion's found a way to run this guy off. I was 4 when he left.

1990- 3-8
1991- 6-6
1992- 3-7-1
1993- 6-4-1
1994- 4-7
1995- 8-5
1996- 4-7
1997- 4-7
1998- 9-3
1999- 8-4
2000-6-6
2001- 7-5
2002- 9-5
2003- 9-4
2004- 5-6
2005- 4-7
2006- 10-4
2007- 8-4
2008- 5-7
2009- 8-5
2010- 10-3
2011- 11-2
2012- 4-8
2013- 3-9
2014- 7-6
2015- 8-5
2016- 7-6
2017- 4-8
2018- 2-7

Total-

221-178 with an AVG 7-5 record in the 33 years I've been on this earth. Average....mediocre...whatever you want to call it....that IS Arkansas Football.

Now, if you want to say we have had more than 5 good seasons in 33 years.....above average for us is 8 wins+ and that comes out to 16 seasons exceeding that.

Man, that just screams non mediocre. That doesn't even begin to get into the let down's that I have witnessed....SEC title games....watching Bret Bielema whack us in person in 2007 at the Capital one bowl....VA tech.....etc etc etc etc.

High Voltage

Quote from: AirWarren on October 30, 2018, 11:39:22 am
1985- 10-2
1986- 9-3
1987- 9-4
1988- 10-2
1989-10-2

^Frank Broyles and his minion's found a way to run this guy off. I was 4 when he left.

1990- 3-8
1991- 6-6
1992- 3-7-1
1993- 6-4-1
1994- 4-7
1995- 8-5
1996- 4-7
1997- 4-7
1998- 9-3
1999- 8-4
2000-6-6
2001- 7-5
2002- 9-5
2003- 9-4
2004- 5-6
2005- 4-7
2006- 10-4
2007- 8-4
2008- 5-7
2009- 8-5
2010- 10-3
2011- 11-2
2012- 4-8
2013- 3-9
2014- 7-6
2015- 8-5
2016- 7-6
2017- 4-8
2018- 2-7

Total-

221-178 with an AVG 7-5 record in the 33 years I've been on this earth. Average....mediocre...whatever you want to call it....that IS Arkansas Football.

Now, if you want to say we have had more than 5 good seasons in 33 years.....above average for us is 8 wins+ and that comes out to 16 seasons exceeding that.

Man, that just screams non mediocre. That doesn't even begin to get into the let down's that I have witnessed....SEC title games....watching Bret Bielema whack us in person in 2007 at the Capital one bowl....VA tech.....etc etc etc etc.

Having those very good seasons means we CAN be good. So if you don't like Arkansas football find another team. I'm sure nobody on the hill cares what you think anyway so your whining and griping is doing no good!

HorseFeathers

Shouldn't you be saying that about the people who are actually whining and calling for Morris to be fired? AW is just arguing the entitled attitude this fanbase has?

High Voltage

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 30, 2018, 12:03:44 pm
Shouldn't you be saying that about the people who are actually whining and calling for Morris to be fired? AW is just arguing the entitled attitude this fanbase has?
No not really, he has griped about the coach as well.

AirWarren

October 30, 2018, 01:02:18 pm #957 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:05:59 pm by AirWarren

That's what they do. You bring facts to the table and they want to take their ball and run to the hill. And tell you to go find another team and tell you to stop griping. That's the entitled fan base mentality. I could care less what the hill thinks of me or my opinion. I just laid out 33 years of stats of mediocrity. They got bigger problems that a seark boy living in central Arkansas.

I'm probably one of the very few that hopes CM makes it. 

AirWarren

Quote from: High Voltage on October 30, 2018, 12:06:29 pm
No not really, he has griped about the coach as well.

Personally I like this coach. I think he is killing it in recruiting. That's the first step.

But by God I have to be careful saying it. Then you'll be labeled his personal press secretary.

Can't win with some of you.

AirWarren

In the 124 years of our football history, the hogs have an average win total of around 6-4-3.

That is killing it let me tell you.

High Voltage

Quote from: AirWarren on October 30, 2018, 01:03:10 pm
Personally I like this coach. I think he is killing it in recruiting. That's the first step.

But by God I have to be careful saying it. Then you'll be labeled his personal press secretary.

Yeah, I can tell!

bdubyab60

Some think that being critical of the coach or even the play on the field means we are not behind the team. It's just griping.

Only coach I really didn't care if he was too successful was JLS. He was just supposed to keep the ship afloat for a year. Well, smile.

I want Morris to succeed but if you don't think he's made some mistakes this season yiu are crazy. He's done some good things and some bad things.

At the end of the day Morris can recruit his tail off all he wants. It has to to lead to success on the field. That's bottom line.

I think that any clear thinking person knows that this is going to take a few years. Two full recruiting cycles to turn over the roster. Then guys have to develop.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on October 30, 2018, 01:03:10 pm

LOL.  Hey dude, I was just trying to help you out.  I think the standard cut for the press secretary is 10%, that would earn you about $350,000.  And that's all the thanks I get. 

gameoflife

One thing for sure, the UA hasn't ever been really good and may never be.  Mediocre is what it averages, in between the occassional good year and the often bad ones.  That 1964 title is 54 years ago, long time to cling to it.  Of course we got that after the season vote and we were not the national champs.  That team lost its bowl game and then in the popular vote after bowl games there was a 3 way tie.  some title. 

beach bum

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 30, 2018, 11:09:58 am
Here's an article with a few names believed to be in consideration.    Not the article I was looking for but work calls, I''ll look later.
   https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/new-arkansas-ad-expected-target-4-coaches-head-coaching-job/

All three were better choses than the guy we got.... Too much used car salesmen in Chad Morris for me to ever like the guy. I don't know how he is getting all these recruits cause I can read right through his used car salesman stuff. I swear in the Vandy game when Derek Mason talked it sounded like a human being with real emotions and you can tell by the way his players love him. Our coach sounds like he is just spewing off what he practiced saying in the mirror for 2 straight days.

gameoflife

Used care salesman, funny.  But you are kinda correct in how he comes off.

beach bum

Quote from: gameoflife on October 30, 2018, 07:55:43 pm
Used care salesman, funny.  But you are kinda correct in how he comes off.

I am not sure what to pinpoint, but he seems so robotic and not genuine. I'd rather have a guy who shows the emotion when its going good or bad. A guy like Mike Leach does not really show emotion, but he is genuine and speaks his mind, maybe even to a fault.

gameoflife

Quote from: beach bum on October 30, 2018, 08:00:04 pm

I am not sure what to pinpoint, but he seems so robotic and not genuine. I'd rather have a guy who shows the emotion when its going good or bad. A guy like Mike Leach does not really show emotion, but he is genuine and speaks his mind, maybe even to a fault.

Yeah, theres a genuineness that you don't seem to get.  Rather have that guy that speaks his mind even if a bit too much, I know a few guys like that and I always appreciate the honesty.

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 30, 2018, 06:53:00 pm
LOL.  Hey dude, I was just trying to help you out.  I think the standard cut for the press secretary is 10%, that would earn you about $350,000.  And that's all the thanks I get. 

Couldn't pay me to be anyone's press secretary lol

footballfan-tastic

Heard some more of the media saying we have a shot at winning 1-3 of the games left.  Man I need some of that koolaid for my Halloween party, won't need costumes because with that stuff to drink we will all being seeing all kinds of wild things.

RZback

For Arkansas to beat any of the next 3 they will have to make a remarkable turnaround.  Can't see it muself but if it does turn it will not be LSU, too much defense.  State or Missouri seem to be struggling a bit at this point and would be the more likely upset win for the hogs, but odds are still against us.

AirWarren

Coach Morris said he "intends" on playing more Freshman.

Some of you may get what you want. Time to prepare for the future, while getting their teeth kicked in during the process.

bleudog

Quote from: AirWarren on October 31, 2018, 03:33:50 pm

Some of you may get what you want. Time to prepare for the future, while getting their teeth kicked in during the process.

Three games left. Twenty or greater point dogs in those games.  Let'um play.  With the new NCAA rules, it's like they never touched the field.

RZback

Quote from: AirWarren on October 31, 2018, 03:33:50 pm

Odds are the Hogs lose those games by a bunch, so letting the Freshmen play only means maybe we see better effort and somebody who acts like they give a hoot.

footballfan-tastic

Morris needs to talk honestly to the fan base about the shape of the program.  Where we are, what we can expect and what he plans to do about fixing the problems.  The left lane, pedal down might have sounded great in getting him hired but its been a disaster as a PR campaign. 
If he intends to play freshman, which is almost always a bad way to win games, could be a positive if he communicates it well as a plan for the future.  He isn't a very good communicator.

nuttinbuthogs

So what happens if Hogs lose the next 3?  I know we are not changing coaches, so I'm not talking about that.  Morris comes out with a list of recruits, then on signing day we see where we stand.  Spring ball and we see how much improvement, then opening of fall practice and how much improvement.  Consequently the real test will be next season.   How many games will we win and how many will be considered a real improvement. 4,5,6,7?  How many should we win next year?  How many will not be enough?

footballfan-tastic

If we lose the next 3 which I predict we will, it will be the worst of worst situations at UA. Worse record since 1932 I believe. I'm thinking next season we have to find a way to get to 6-6 and bowl eligible to look like we are really making progress.  Only Danny Ford had a worse record in their second year since about 1950.

AirWarren

November 01, 2018, 01:29:11 pm #977 Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:30:58 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on November 01, 2018, 12:09:08 pm
So what happens if Hogs lose the next 3?  I know we are not changing coaches, so I'm not talking about that.  Morris comes out with a list of recruits, then on signing day we see where we stand.  Spring ball and we see how much improvement, then opening of fall practice and how much improvement.  Consequently the real test will be next season.   How many games will we win and how many will be considered a real improvement. 4,5,6,7?  How many should we win next year?  How many will not be enough?

Historically we average out to be a 6-4-3(W-L-T) team in our 124 years playing football. 

Might as well shoot and expect for somewhere around those numbers. It's just the way it is.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on November 01, 2018, 01:29:11 pm
Historically we average out to be a 6-4-3(W-L-T) team in our 124 years playing football. 

Might as well shoot and expect for somewhere around those numbers. It's just the way it is.

Nothing to write home about is it.

bleudog

At least there's a proceedure to play out ties these days.

RZback

Just get this season over and see where we can go from here.  Been a real downer.

AirWarren

Quote from: RZback on November 01, 2018, 03:07:15 pm
Just get this season over and see where we can go from here.  Been a real downer.

This, lol.

DerekOxford

2020 will be the first chance at significant improvement on both lines, which is how you win in this league.

2-10 this year, 3-9 or 4-8 next year.

Maybe 6-6 or 7-5 in 2020 if they're lucky, but that includes Notre Dame on the schedule and the SEC West doesn't look like it's getting worse any time soon.

bleudog

"And it's an agonizing reappraisal, said Dusty Rhodes, and he's the American Dream." - Sea Level - "That's Your Secret"  (1977)  8)

bdubyab60

bleudog

bigworm

RZback

I'm really worried about trick plays on special teams. 

GettingStarted

Quote from: bigworm on September 13, 2018, 09:36:23 pm
If kids will go to starkville they will go to fayetteville. Winnin cures lots of problems.

Not sure Starkville is the measuring stick you want if you are Arkansas.

Valleysports

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on November 01, 2018, 11:21:32 am
Morris needs to talk honestly to the fan base about the shape of the program.  Where we are, what we can expect and what he plans to do about fixing the problems.  The left lane, pedal down might have sounded great in getting him hired but its been a disaster as a PR campaign. 
If he intends to play freshman, which is almost always a bad way to win games, could be a positive if he communicates it well as a plan for the future.  He isn't a very good communicator.

Dear Footballfan-tastic, where to begin? The program is not SEC competitive and we don't have many SEC Caliber players.  I'm going to do my best, but it certainly isn't going to happen in a year or two.  My gosh how could y'all let this program get in such bad shape.

Dear 5 star recruit, Arkansas is awesome.  We are sitting on the edge of being an SEC Championship Contender.  Don't go to Alabama, LSU, A&M, Auburn, Georgia, come to Fayetteville and play for a quality program on the rise.         

RZback

Quote from: Valleysports on November 04, 2018, 10:51:46 am
Dear Footballfan-tastic, where to begin? The program is not SEC competitive and we don't have many SEC Caliber players.  I'm going to do my best, but it certainly isn't going to happen in a year or two.  My gosh how could y'all let this program get in such bad shape.

Dear 5 star recruit, Arkansas is awesome.  We are sitting on the edge of being an SEC Championship Contender.  Don't go to Alabama, LSU, A&M, Auburn, Georgia, come to Fayetteville and play for a quality program on the rise.         

LOL!!  Thats really funny stuff right there.  I'm sure the phones are ringing off the hook now with recruits at those schools decommitting and calling CM.
You got the we are not a SEC caliber program right in your first paragraph but sitting on the edge of an SEC Championship Contender, well keep stirring the Kool Aid.

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on November 04, 2018, 10:51:46 am

"Come to Fayetteville, we can get you season passes to silver dollar city..."

RZback

Come to Fayetteville, you can ride in the left lane with the pedal down as the wrecker hauls you to the garage.

AirWarren

Quote from: RZback on November 05, 2018, 08:49:06 pm
Come to Fayetteville, you can ride in the left lane with the pedal down as the wrecker hauls you to the garage.

Since 1964.....

nuttinbuthogs

What is the prediction for tomorrow night?  LSU defense is very stiff.

AirWarren

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on November 09, 2018, 11:58:09 am
What is the prediction for tomorrow night?  LSU defense is very stiff.

Hopefully stiff as in frozen to death. I think the letdown/beatdown from last week will play into our favor some. We HAVE TO stop the run and get to Burrows. IF we can remotely keep it close, we will have a chance. Small chance.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on November 09, 2018, 01:16:33 pm
Hopefully stiff as in frozen to death. I think the letdown/beatdown from last week will play into our favor some. We HAVE TO stop the run and get to Burrows. IF we can remotely keep it close, we will have a chance. Small chance.
Judging from how we have played, is there any real chance of getting this done.  Yes, I know it's football and anything is possible, but really what are the chances of a win. I just don't see our offense able to move the ball much on LSU.

HorseFeathers

Why'd you tell me that Bdub, I had an excuse to not watch the game 😂

bdubyab60

Sorry man. I'm a glutton for punishment as well

bdubyab60

If the offense will do something this might be a game

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas