• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

AirWarren

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Definitely can't say the run D is one of the nation's best... And it's Vanderbilt. Not sure I wanna see how LSU will hand it to them playing like this

AirWarren

AirWarren

No heart. No pride.

Hoping for at least 10-15 more transfers.

gameoflife

AirWarren

bdubyab60

We can't use the talent disparity as an excuse. We have out recruited Vandy for the most part.

But this second half collapse stuff is left over from the beliema regime. I believe until this roster is completely turned over it will continue to happen.

I didn't get to watch the second half, not sure if I want to.

Fairly certain we will be 2-10 this year and next won't be much better with the turnover we need.

Never thought we would be the worst program in the SEC and now probably one of the worst in the country.

Just got  took to the woodshed by Vanderbilt. VANDERBILT.

bigworm

gameoflife

Does anyone think at least some of the blame for the way we play lies with the current coaching staff?

beach bum

I have already moved over to basketball mode.... Ready to see some Gafford dunks and him blocking shots into the stands.

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on October 27, 2018, 09:21:56 pm
Does anyone think at least some of the blame for the way we play lies with the current coaching staff?
Yes it does. Losing to an SEC opponent is one thing, it happens. An upset happens every once in a while as well.

But this is looking 2-10 with losses to CDU and NT. And not just losses. But debacles.

While the recruiting seems to be good. And there have been minor improvements. This staff hasn't shown it can get it done.

System change and all know other team has struggled like this.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 27, 2018, 09:40:31 pm
Yes it does. Losing to an SEC opponent is one thing, it happens. An upset happens every once in a while as well.

But this is looking 2-10 with losses to CDU and NT. And not just losses. But debacles.

While the recruiting seems to be good. And there have been minor improvements. This staff hasn't shown it can get it done.

System change and all know other team has struggled like this.

What does the staff have to do with Ty Storey throwing pass after pass that's batted down at the LOS?

What does the coaching staff have to do with ty Storey overthrowing a wide open Jordan Jones?

What does the coach staff have to do with our defensive line getting manhandled?

What does the coaching staff have to do with as soon as greenlaw goes out, the wheels fall off the defense?

What does the coaching staff have to do with Santos Ramirez taking bad angle after bad angle and ripping the ball instead of tackling?

Some of you people are unbelievable. Get used to it, find another team, or get behind this man. You're delusional perception of Arkansas being this magical destination job that should be able to attract anyone is dung. We had our chance. No Malzahn. No Norvell. No Gundy. No Kiffen. No Bob Stoops. And look what we landed. Arkansas is a mid level program that will always be mid level. I'm 33 and this is the revolving door of my life as a hog fan. Nothing new. Nothing changed.

Oh wait 1964. Big whoop. That was in a day when your offense line was slap full of 5'11 guys. Those days are over and are a joke compared to today's landscape.

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on October 27, 2018, 09:56:11 pm
What does the staff have to do with Ty Storey throwing pass after pass that's batted down at the LOS?

What does the coaching staff have to do with ty Storey overthrowing a wide open Jordan Jones?

What does the coach staff have to do with our defensive line getting manhandled?

What does the coaching staff have to do with as soon as greenlaw goes out, the wheels fall off the defense?

What does the coaching staff have to do with Santos Ramirez taking bad angle after bad angle and ripping the ball instead of tackling?

Some of you people are unbelievable. Get used to it, find another team, or get behind this man. You're delusional perception of Arkansas being this magical destination job that should be able to attract anyone is dung. We had our chance. No Malzahn. No Norvell. No Gundy. No Kiffen. No Bob Stoops. And look what we landed. Arkansas is a mid level program that will always be mid level. I'm 33 and this is the revolving door of my life as a hog fan. Nothing new. Nothing changed.

Oh wait 1964. Big whoop. That was in a day when your offense line was slap full of 5'11 guys. Those days are over and are a joke compared to today's landscape.
Im all Hog. But it's bad right now and we have never seen it this bad. Is it all on the staff? No. Players have to make plays. But the staff has to help put them in the positions to make those plays.

Poor tackling and angles. That is due to bad practice and habits. Last staff or this one has been able to correct them.

We aren't even performing mid level as you are saying we are.

Morris will get his chance and he will turn it around or he won't.

It is just hard to watch. Which I do every week, and sometimes be able to make my one or two games a year in person. And see what has been done to this program while middling but being competitive reduced to a doormat in just a few years.

This program is and should be better than we are.

This is more on the previous staff and admin than the present regime. We all know this.

However some blame is in the current staff. And this may be just me. But Morris came in and said hammer down. We have seen nothing to the sort as of yet. Understand there are some limitations but so far the staff is very conservative. Seeming afraid to lose while losing. I'd rather see some chances taken, what do we have to lose.

I'll always root for our Hogs. But doesn't mean I can't have an opinion when things look like they do right now. Don't care who the coach is. But this program is better than bottom of the barrel

AirWarren

October 27, 2018, 11:47:43 pm #914 Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:49:39 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 27, 2018, 11:12:26 pm
Im all Hog. But it's bad right now and we have never seen it this bad. Is it all on the staff? No. Players have to make plays. But the staff has to help put them in the positions to make those plays.

Poor tackling and angles. That is due to bad practice and habits. Last staff or this one has been able to correct them.

We aren't even performing mid level as you are saying we are.

Morris will get his chance and he will turn it around or he won't.

It is just hard to watch. Which I do every week, and sometimes be able to make my one or two games a year in person. And see what has been done to this program while middling but being competitive reduced to a doormat in just a few years.

This program is and should be better than we are.

This is more on the previous staff and admin than the present regime. We all know this.

However some blame is in the current staff. And this may be just me. But Morris came in and said hammer down. We have seen nothing to the sort as of yet. Understand there are some limitations but so far the staff is very conservative. Seeming afraid to lose while losing. I'd rather see some chances taken, what do we have to lose.

I'll always root for our Hogs. But doesn't mean I can't have an opinion when things look like they do right now. Don't care who the coach is. But this program is better than bottom of the barrel

Again. Chances were taken.

O'Grady made plays down the field. Mike woods had a great long catch. Boyd and chase both had great games. You can't throw the ball all over the place when you have two or 3 consistent mediocre WR's.

Overthrow of jones.

And at least 5 passes batted down at the LOS that were at least 10-15 yard pass routes down the field.

The team just sucks. Storey is not sec.

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on October 27, 2018, 11:47:43 pm
Again. Chances were taken.

O'Grady made plays down the field. Mike woods had a great long catch. Boyd and chase both had great games. You can't throw the ball all over the place when you have two or 3 consistent mediocre WR's.

Overthrow of jones.

And at least 5 passes batted down at the LOS that were at least 10-15 yard pass routes down the field.

The team just sucks. Storey is not sec.
See my comment about limitations. But if you watch the presser the game plan was going to be more conservative than what happened. Morris specifically says we HAD to throw the ball 36 times. We aren't going to win like that.

I completely understand we don't have an SEC quarterback on the roster. Much less one for this system it seems.

Another 4th down and trying to hold with your defense getting gashed the entire second half. Morris himself, plan was to pin them deep and get a hold. What evidence is there that the D would hold. We hadn't stopped them since the first series of the half had we.

Again probably 90% of this is on the past staff. It's not a talent thing. It could be a speed thing, which we lack overall speed. And it's a mental thing. And Moro's pretty much calls it out in his presser saying we are going to do what we do. Not going to change our culture of the way we do things around here. We got a few that aren't doing what they need to do.

This late in the season. If we still have players that aren't buying in and giving their all. Those players SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING. And if they are that is on this staff to get it straightened out no matter the limitations.

I want guys to give their all for their teammates and if you don't have that these are the results.

Still hoping we can steal one more game

DerekOxford

Two things can be true:

1) that Chad Morris and his staff were not ready for the rigors of coaching at this level (most of them have been at either high schools or at small D1s) and that is why you are seeing some of the stuff you have seen this season.

2) that Chad Morris may be a master chef but right now he is working with Hamburger Helper and until he gets some actual cuisine to work with (recruits) it's going to be pretty bland and not taste very good.

The defensive talent has to get better. No excuse to let Vandy run the ball at will on you and screen you to death. I think John Chavis is still a great defensive coordinator but he's got to have players.

Valleysports

Quote from: DerekOxford on October 28, 2018, 09:05:18 am
2) that Chad Morris may be a master chef but right now he is working with Hamburger Helper and until he gets some actual cuisine to work with (recruits) it's going to be pretty bland and not taste very good.

I think John Chavis is still a great defensive coordinator but he's got to have players.

Lets go with #2.  You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! 

footballfan-tastic

October 28, 2018, 03:32:42 pm #918 Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:38:03 pm by footballfan-tastic
Quote from: AirWarren on October 27, 2018, 09:56:11 pm

If coaches have nothing to do with a player or a team that plays badly, then exactly what does a coach do during practice and developmental time for a player.  Coaches, coach, teach, develop and correct bad play.  I'm not seeing a lot of that.

I've heard a few claims that our recruiting classes were not as bad as some of our opponents, I think that's probably correct and so we shouldn't lose to teams we have better talent than even with a new coaching staff.  I think we should have won at least 4 by now based on what I know and what I have seen in the past.  I blame players for a lot of it but I don't think we are getting great preparation either.

HorseFeathers

Morris sure has had a real big hand in developing those last 4 recruiting classes that are currently on the field... 🤦 I won't argue preparation though...

sportsguy80

I'll add that I too think the SEC was more than Morris expected. Hate going back to him attending his son's game in Dallas instead of preparing (coaches have to prepare too on last minute adjustments). You can just look at his facial expressions after games and during press conferences that he's a bit shocked on the work that needs to be done. Recruiting is looking very bright probably the only thing that is at this time but the development of current players and coaching staff has got to improve drastically in order to move forward.

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 28, 2018, 03:32:42 pm
If coaches have nothing to do with a player or a team that plays badly, then exactly what does a coach do during practice and developmental time for a player.  Coaches, coach, teach, develop and correct bad play.  I'm not seeing a lot of that.

I've heard a few claims that our recruiting classes were not as bad as some of our opponents, I think that's probably correct and so we shouldn't lose to teams we have better talent than even with a new coaching staff.  I think we should have won at least 4 by now based on what I know and what I have seen in the past.  I blame players for a lot of it but I don't think we are getting great preparation either.

You can tell santos Ramirez and coach him every single day 24/7 to take better angles and get into better position but he is not talented enough to cover the field east to west north to south. It's evident.

Coaching cannot fix that. I don't care how much preparation goes into it.

beach bum

October 28, 2018, 06:52:04 pm #922 Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:57:07 pm by beach bum
I don't blame the mediocre coach we have... i blame the university big wigs for being dumb enough to hire him and not even give Mike Leach a call.  I am sorry but these next two years will be the easiest schedules we have for maybe another 10-15 years. A good coach would beat the four non power 5's we played plus win two SEC games out of Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizzou. Not getting to 6-6 with this schedule shows you how this guy can't manage a game combined with the lack of talent. I can not believe we are worse than programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Kansas,  Duke, and Syracuse this season.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on October 28, 2018, 06:52:04 pm
I don't blame the mediocre coach we have... i blame the university big wigs for being dumb enough to hire him and not even give Mike Leach a call.  I am sorry but these next two years will be the easiest schedules we have for maybe another 10-15 years. A good coach would beat the four non power 5's we played plus win two SEC games out of Vandy, Ole Miss, and Mizzou. Not getting to 6-6 with this schedule shows you how this guy can't manage a game combined with the lack of talent. I can not believe we are worse than programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Kansas,  Duke, and Syracuse this season.

We will never hire another big time coach that will "pass frank's legacy" in wins.

Frank family and his group that is still around is one of the biggest issues with Arkansas football.

Valleysports

Quote from: AirWarren on October 28, 2018, 04:17:40 pm
You can tell santos Ramirez and coach him every single day 24/7 to take better angles and get into better position but he is not talented enough to cover the field east to west north to south. It's evident.

Coaching cannot fix that. I don't care how much preparation goes into it.

I think Morris IS coaching these players up.  They've out performed my expectations.  He needs to be on "Americas Worst Jobs". 

HorseFeathers

I think folks forget how bad these guys played in the system they supposedly fit last year..

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on October 28, 2018, 08:09:56 pm
I think Morris IS coaching these players up.  They've out performed my expectations.  He needs to be on "Americas Worst Jobs". 

That's the thing. He is coaching them. But they are not sec level talent.

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 28, 2018, 09:19:11 pm
I think folks forget how bad these guys played in the system they supposedly fit last year..

Yup. This is a horrid roster. Belichek couldn't fix this.

footballfan-tastic

I might be giving the man too much blame but some of you guys are giving him way too little.  He's in charge and how we play is largely on him, as well as improvement we make or don't make.  I agree with some posts I've seen about his being a bit lost at how things are going and what to do to fix it.  I'd say that most likely applies to the staff as well.  You simply cannot say he has no fault in the abysmal showing of the team this season. 

footballfan-tastic

On another note, CCM's statement to players that we were "the better team"  is really another sign of where we are in terms of leadership and recognizing where we are.  We clearly were not the better team and proof is in the score, again.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 28, 2018, 09:19:11 pm

Don't forget they won 4 games last year with that coach that you guys think sucked.  And don't give me the they don't fit this system, then adapt to what you have and tweak what you can.  If CM is a better coach than what we had then I expect results at least as good as the previous coach, you know since we have the petal down and in the left lane and all. 
At some point you look at the coaching and preparation, the rest of the staff. Maybe its youthful inexperience?

AirWarren

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 29, 2018, 12:30:45 am
Don't forget they won 4 games last year with that coach that you guys think sucked.  And don't give me the they don't fit this system, then adapt to what you have and tweak what you can.  If CM is a better coach than what we had then I expect results at least as good as the previous coach, you know since we have the petal down and in the left lane and all. 
At some point you look at the coaching and preparation, the rest of the staff. Maybe its youthful inexperience?

We also had a quarterback last year, sadly. As bad as Austin was, he and Brandon were light years ahead of any of the quarterbacks we have on the roster.

footballfan-tastic

It's called "coaching em up".  If your QB isn't as good as you would like then don't throw 36 times and run less.  Tweak the game plan to do things your players can handle and work on that execution even if it means not being able to run what you did somewhere else.  Name of the game is find a way to win. 
This is about results, the sooner the better.  From the looks of things we need better players, better coached players and better coaches and strategy.  IMO!    If this is the guy to lead that then he needs to reevaluate whats happening right now and do something to fix it.  If he has players on the field than can't or won't do what he and his staff are trying to teach, change players, play some of the young guys and get the dead wood off the field. 

AirWarren

October 29, 2018, 09:54:54 am #933 Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:02:14 am by AirWarren
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 29, 2018, 09:50:36 am
It's called "coaching em up".  If your QB isn't as good as you would like then don't throw 36 times and run less.  Tweak the game plan to do things your players can handle and work on that execution even if it means not being able to run what you did somewhere else.  Name of the game is find a way to win. 
This is about results, the sooner the better.  From the looks of things we need better players, better coached players and better coaches and strategy.  IMO!    If this is the guy to lead that then he needs to reevaluate whats happening right now and do something to fix it.  If he has players on the field than can't or won't do what he and his staff are trying to teach, change players, play some of the young guys and get the dead wood off the field. 

Lol.

Run more? Boyd is exhausted. He is not in sec shape yet. And he is still a threat! And the backups, are nowhere near his talent. We saw what happened when Boyd left the ole miss game. Running game went south. The game plan has been tweaked already. Look at how much CJ is touching the ball. TE play was nonexistent at the beginning of the year. Screens, non existent. Problem is our bone head qb can't throw over sec defenses and the running backs can't catch out of the backfield. Players are being overthrown on deep routes. Players dropping passes. Passes being thrown behind the WR on cross patterns over and over. But coach em up....fix it overnight. Ty has been in a sec system for 4 years now. There is no coaching this up. This is a talent deficiency.

If you can't see that these kids aren't sec material then I can't help you. You can only "coach em up" so much.

If it quacks like a duck. It's a duck. And these players are lame ducks.

I love how some of you think coaching em up better is the magic fixer. There is a reason these big name coaches stayed away from this program and roster. Give the man more than 10 months before ridiculous claims of no coaching is being thrown out. This program is a dumpster fire joke right now with half the roster praying for the season to end.

AirWarren

Look at the offensive line. Coach fry is COACHING EM UP and it's evident. They have played better at o line than they have for the past two years. Run blocking is good and pass pro looks better until Ty holds the ball too long(WR can't get open) and he gets sacked.

Why is it better with "coach em up"? Because we actually have some offensive linemen that have quality talent AND the coach knew how to position his line up. Coachin em up is a two way street.  If your coaching The Little Giants, it doesn't make a squat how good the coaching is. It took a few games, but the offensive line had looked leap years ahead of what it has looked.

People complain about o line depth, but I've been saying all along that what we have is going to do well in this system. They have possibly been the best unit on this team besides rakeem Boyd.

bdubyab60

There was enough talent left here to win the OOC games. Period.

Morris coaching decisions have cost us 2 games. CSU and OM. Did the same thing the last guy did.

Quit trying to not lose and go win the darn game.

And if Santos can't accept the coaching or do what needs to be done. Then someone else needs to be in. That's a coaching decision.

Morris will get his chance but he's got some things to work on to

bleudog

I was watching the LA Tech @ FAU game Friday night and Rafe Peavey was the starter due to Lane Kiffin's regular starter being banged up.

They mentioned Peavey came to FAU from Arkansas by way of SMU. 

I assume Morris had something to do with Peavey's choice of going to then leaving SMU.

Kind of a small world, ain't it?

footballfan-tastic

Coaching is what they do!  And your explanation makes no logical sense.  You say the QB cannot throw over the defense, but you say Boyd is tired but he can't run more even thought he's the best thing in the offense.  We cannot run any more than we are doing, we cannot pass, we even pass too much,   Well what does that leave when we have the ball?  Somebody has to run it or throw it.   Well svengalli what is your solution.  You keep defending losing and poor performance, what is your answer.  Not get better talent through recruiting, that can't happen between now and the next 3 games.  What's the solution to get us better to give us a chance to win with what we have.  That is what CM and his staff were hired to do.   Make us better, we are not better, we are still losing games that a large portion of fans and so called experts predicted to be wins.  We are losing when we have leads, we are losing to teams that are not better physically.  We are bad from top to bottom and I want a coach to fix the issues so on game day we have a win at the end of the game.  Morris is lost.  Poor game plans and poor execution, and from the looks of it no answers.  Oh, but it's ok because he doesn't have anything to work with.   Well that's when real coaching has to get done.  Anybody can win with great talent and you don't always have it, and you don't always have better talent than who you play.   So what happens for the rest of CM's tenure?  Every time we are not clearly the superior physically blessed team we should expect to lose?   
I said before, I may be too harsh in my criticism but you give the guy a 3.5million dollar pass.

High Voltage

October 29, 2018, 05:35:08 pm #938 Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:37:21 pm by High Voltage
Bottom line to this point is, we have been sold a bill of goods. What choices did we have last year? Nobody on here knows but common sense at some point has to set in. Lane Kiffin, if you people think he would rather be at FAU than at an SEC school you are nuts and need medical attention. Mike Leach said publicly that he would like to try his system in the SEC when the Arkansas and Tennessee jobs were open. Let's face it, We hired a high school football coach. If we were gonna do that then hire Rick Jones or Kevin Kelly. This job was a dumpster fire when CCM took it. No doubt, can't question that but he still has 3 and 4 star players. It IS the coaches job to develop players.When you walk in here and run your mouth about how the vehicle will be in the left lane with the hammer down then you better deliver. 4th and short when your team is losing games and has no chance at a bowl game and not going for it is not hammer down. CCM is in a 1969 VW Bug broke down on the shoulder. Just tell us the truth about your system! Take some chances. If he would take chances and have the hammer down, win or lose I am on board. He has made some terrible in game decisions. Saying our QB sucks and we only have one RB is total crap. Ty was a 4 star, he just hasn't had a good coach and it will take time. He has made progress as have the O-line. Recruiting is going great but I don't care if you have a team of 5 Stars if you can't coach during the game then it won't matter.

AirWarren

October 29, 2018, 06:58:10 pm #939 Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:05:33 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 29, 2018, 04:33:41 pm
Coaching is what they do!  And your explanation makes no logical sense.  You say the QB cannot throw over the defense, but you say Boyd is tired but he can't run more even thought he's the best thing in the offense.  We cannot run any more than we are doing, we cannot pass, we even pass too much,   Well what does that leave when we have the ball?  Somebody has to run it or throw it.   Well svengalli what is your solution.  You keep defending losing and poor performance, what is your answer.  Not get better talent through recruiting, that can't happen between now and the next 3 games.  What's the solution to get us better to give us a chance to win with what we have.  That is what CM and his staff were hired to do.   Make us better, we are not better, we are still losing games that a large portion of fans and so called experts predicted to be wins.  We are losing when we have leads, we are losing to teams that are not better physically.  We are bad from top to bottom and I want a coach to fix the issues so on game day we have a win at the end of the game.  Morris is lost.  Poor game plans and poor execution, and from the looks of it no answers.  Oh, but it's ok because he doesn't have anything to work with.   Well that's when real coaching has to get done.  Anybody can win with great talent and you don't always have it, and you don't always have better talent than who you play.   So what happens for the rest of CM's tenure?  Every time we are not clearly the superior physically blessed team we should expect to lose?   
I said before, I may be too harsh in my criticism but you give the guy a 3.5million dollar pass.

Dude. We have been mediocre bull crap for 28 years of the 33 I've been on earth.

Nothing is going to change it.

I'm not defending Morris or the kids. Both suck bad If ask me. But you don't turn a 4 win jelly sandwich eating machine into a 9-10 win team in 10 months. Especially in the SEC.

Give the man some time. If he sucks. He sucks. We will fire him and hire the next Derek Dooley. We will be spoon fed the same BS that we have the location, facilities etc etc to HIRE ANY COACH IN AMERICA.....yet we had our chance and look where we are....a no name.

The revolving door of mediocrity continues to spin.

The good news is this great recruiting class he has assembled in 10 months is better than goof ball ever did while he was here. So evidently he has some clout as a coach if he is hauling in 4* players back to back to back. The players must not think anything of the "high school coach" crap.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on October 29, 2018, 06:58:10 pm
Dude. We have been mediocre bull crap for 28 years of the 33 I've been on earth.

Nothing is going to change it.

I'm not defending Morris or the kids. Both suck bad If ask me. But you don't turn a 4 win jelly sandwich eating machine into a 9-10 win team in 10 months. Especially in the SEC.

Give the man some time. If he sucks. He sucks. We will fire him and hire the next Derek Dooley. We will be spoon fed the same BS that we have the location, facilities etc etc to HIRE ANY COACH IN AMERICA.....yet we had our chance and look where we are....a no name.

The revolving door of mediocrity continues to spin.

The good news is this great recruiting class he has assembled in 10 months is better than goof ball ever did while he was here. So evidently he has some clout as a coach if he is hauling in 4* players back to back to back. The players must not think anything of the "high school coach" crap.

You should go back and reread some of your posts.  You definitely sound like the mans press agent most of the time.

No doubt this program has been bad for a long time, but that happens when you are not careful about who you hire to run the program. Like a lot of schools we talk prime rib and eat bologna.  You may get lucky with a wildcard hire but not very often.  UA should have gone after a proven commodity and put the money together to get them.. 

AirWarren

October 29, 2018, 08:31:58 pm #941 Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 08:34:55 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on October 29, 2018, 08:17:19 pm
You should go back and reread some of your posts.  You definitely sound like the mans press agent most of the time.

No doubt this program has been bad for a long time, but that happens when you are not careful about who you hire to run the program. Like a lot of schools we talk prime rib and eat bologna.  You may get lucky with a wildcard hire but not very often.  UA should have gone after a proven commodity and put the money together to get them.. 

Who were these proven commodities that were knocking down doors to get here?

***Cueing the "We have the money to throw to bring the best of the best in here if we wanted to"**

I wanted Bob Stoops or Mike Leach...both of which were pipe dreams.

bigworm

Bring back Houston!!! 🤣😂  i just want to go in games and at least think we have a shot. Im not giving up on Morris at all. Im pretty sure in most of cases like ours it gets worse before it gets better.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: AirWarren on October 29, 2018, 08:31:58 pm
Who were these proven commodities that were knocking down doors to get here?

***Cueing the "We have the money to throw to bring the best of the best in here if we wanted to"**

I wanted Bob Stoops or Mike Leach...both of which were pipe dreams.

Leach made it known he wanted into the SEC, there were a couple other lesser names but with more HC experience and/or better record, Norvell at Memphis and Kiffen of course, also Charlie Strong, and Dave Doeren at NC were all in consideration, there were a few others not worth mentioning like Gus, because they were never going to come here.  But the others were condsidered pretty good possibilities.  I do know that among the ones consdidered, Morris had the worst ranking among current HC's in college ball .

AirWarren

October 29, 2018, 10:28:35 pm #944 Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 10:30:27 pm by AirWarren
Leach wanted to come to the sec YET he chose to stay at Washington state. Washington state over Arkansas.

All speculation. If kiffen, Norvell wanted to come here they would be here. Kiffen opted to stay at some garbage Florida school over us. What does that tell you? Norvell at Memphis. Same thing.

Charlie strong sucks too. He couldn't win at Texas. TEXAS.

We got the one that wanted to come here. Might as well get behind him or get off the bus. Or be like me, apathetic to it all and just watch with zero investment emotionally.

Please provide the links to these coaches saying they wanted to come here or showed interest. The link can't be some Bo Mattingly or trey biddy/Danny west BS either.

HorseFeathers

Apathetic.... The point where you go well that sucked(or a win)...but you realize it's not worth letting it wreck/make your week like a lot of call-in show fans...and/or social media fans.

I hit that point after I blew up on a co-worker who was only happy when the hogs lost lol...

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 29, 2018, 10:34:32 pm
Apathetic.... The point where you go well that sucked(or a win)...but you realize it's not worth letting it wreck/make your week like a lot of call-in show fans...and/or social media fans.

I hit that point after I blew up on a co-worker who was only happy when the hogs lost lol...

Life is too short to get furious over a team that hangs its tradition on a "title" from 1964.

I love the hogs. But they are what they are. And our fan base is delusional. Always can and should be doing better with coaching/winning...but still mediocre.

heck, most of our idiot fans want to run mike Anderson off. Look at his win record. And we want to run him off? Oh wait, Bill Self wants to be here.

Give me a break.

bdubyab60

Well right now we aren't even mediocre. Let's at least get back to that.

This program is better than last in the SEC.

These last few years as a HOG fan have been tough ones. The only thing I had was I work with a bunch of Ole Miss fans. Even they ask me what is wrong with Arkansas when them and Vandy beat us.

The pros about Morris are his recruiting. Usually our best football comes when we recruited Texas good and have some good recruits in state. This is that year to pull those guys in. It's still two years before those guys make any real impact one would think.

Until then I'll b!$@? About the losses and take every win we can get. WPS

footballfan-tastic

LOL.  I'd love to give you all the links to anybody UA may have mentioned but to be honest I'm not going searching for all that.  It is my recollection that these guys were named in articles in the Democrat Gazette, (if I find that I'll post), but to say that they stayed at a worse school, well look at the records they have at those schools.   Those schools are currently doing better.  Yeah, UA is potentially a better job but why do you think people steer clear?  It's got issues.  Now, I don't know why they would not come or why UA would not offer the job, maybe money, maybe couldn't get what they wanted.  I know Leach is on a $4 million contract.  Did we not want to go that high, (don't think that would be it) but you never know.  We are in dept to BB. 
Bottom line is our selection is not looking good, it didn't look good when we made it.  Is Arkansas viewed by coaches as that bad a job?  Well judging from this season maybe. 
I know from talking to lots of folks, most are not impressed with the hire compared to coaches mentioned, and not impressed with the product at this point.  Right now enthusiam is way down and fixing it seems iffy.   
All hinges on getting some really great recruits, getting them on campus and developing them.

footballfan-tastic

Here's an article with a few names believed to be in consideration.    Not the article I was looking for but work calls, I''ll look later.
   https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/new-arkansas-ad-expected-target-4-coaches-head-coaching-job/

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas