• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conway Boys Job

Started by Brian G, March 17, 2014, 04:48:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

farfromgroovins

Yep, wishful thinking for us Wampus Cat fans to have a shot at Swift but Coach Johnson will do a fine job. In house hire doesn't surprise me since Bates came up from the junior high 14 years ago.

Johnson will do a great job on and off the court with the Conway boys.  The main thing is now that he is the Sr high head coach top notch talent will stop transferring away from Conway.  There are players that live in Conway playing at NLR, Sylvan Hills, Greenbrier, and Morrilton that left because of the previous coaching staff.  The Wampus Cats will be competing again in no time. 

Best of luck to the previous staff as well.

Mr. Beautiful

Quote from: 141571671 on April 16, 2014, 01:02:02 pm
Johnson will do a great job on and off the court with the Conway boys.  The main thing is now that he is the Sr high head coach top notch talent will stop transferring away from Conway.  There are players that live in Conway playing at NLR, Sylvan Hills, Greenbrier, and Morrilton that left because of the previous coaching staff.  The Wampus Cats will be competing again in no time. 

Bates seemed like a quality guy to me. What did he do to run off all the other guys? What do you think Johnson will do to keep the talent at Conway?

FreeMoney

James Bates is a class act and I'm sure he will enjoy retirement. Willis Johnson is a class act also. Obviously the kids relate well to him and his style of coaching. I hear the guy can still flat out play himself. As a matter of fact I know he can lol.

BledBlue

::)  Laughable! While I will agree that Johnson is a great guy, anyone with their ear to the ground is hearing the snickering and shock in the coaching community that a top-notch program in a 7A school would bring up their Junior High Coach, not only instead of some highly qualified high school head coaching candidates, but even the assistant high school coach!  Anyone smelling a rat??  BTW..still waiting to hear how former coach managed to run off so much talent.  ;)

Quote from: BledBlue on April 16, 2014, 09:41:29 pm

::)  Laughable! While I will agree that Johnson is a great guy, anyone with their ear to the ground is hearing the snickering and shock in the coaching community that a top-notch program in a 7A school would bring up their Junior High Coach, not only instead of some highly qualified high school head coaching candidates, but even the assistant high school coach!  Anyone smelling a rat??  BTW..still waiting to hear how former coach managed to run off so much talent.  ;)
What's laughable?
While Bates is likewise a great guy he has lost the coaching fire (he was also Jr high coach when he too over as Sr high coach for Conway so again WHAT IS LAUGHABLE).  I won't criticize him because I personally like him and talk to him a couple of times a week in the gym.  BUT His players were not given gym time (although he tried to straighten up after things got heated this year) and had to resort to going to upper class men running pick up games at the local facilities here in town.  The year Conway Boys won 2010 thank goodness guys like Keion McNeial SR were around to manage those pick up games so that the boys we at least learning, but they wanted to learn from their coach not someone's father.  They asked to go to team camps, they asked for the gym to open on Sundays (the girls coach schedules open gym year around) and he would not do it. 
The players that left are all D1s.  Maybe UCA type D1s but future D1s nonetheless if they have the grades.  The one that left for NLR specified that he would stay if Bates left because Bates wasn't pushing him nor was he helping with the recruiting process.  Bates stayed and that player started on a team that won a state title with NLR.  Our All-tournament team player from 2014 was going to transfer to Hall if Bates had not be coerced to go.
Longing could have done more to put himself in position to take over but he just went along with whatever Bates said which is why they couldn't hire him without continuing to lose players.  He could have opened the gym and given one on one sessions but he didn't.  So give the young guy with great Jr high record a chance.  He is still young enough to get out there on the floor and show them how it is supposed to be done and he is energetic and hungry enough to crank up the bus in the summer and go to a couple of camps with them.  Plus at one point in time recently he had all of these boys winning games.
Nobody left Bates because of him being mean or mistreating anyone or some personal eye to eye issue, but the man had stopped coaching and he had a great group of athletes the past couple of years that wanted to be challenged and put to the test.  He wasn't the coach for them.

godeep

Bledblue I have seen no answer to what you said. No way top coaches shouldn't have been knocking the door down for this job unless they did research and realize it ain't the job you think it is. Is Johnson black? Word on the street was Conway was looking for minority hire in this situation. Good coaching and not color of skin keeps good players home. Don't forget Bates came up as assistant for a few years  before becoming the head coach. Amazing what people forget.

BledBlue

Quote from: 141571671 on April 17, 2014, 12:00:30 am
Quote from: BledBlue on April 16, 2014, 09:41:29 pm

What's laughable?
While Bates is likewise a great guy he has lost the coaching fire (he was also Jr high coach when he too over as Sr high coach for Conway so again WHAT IS LAUGHABLE).  I won't criticize him because I personally like him and talk to him a couple of times a week in the gym.  BUT His players were not given gym time (although he tried to straighten up after things got heated this year) and had to resort to going to upper class men running pick up games at the local facilities here in town.  The year Conway Boys won 2010 thank goodness guys like Keion McNeial SR were around to manage those pick up games so that the boys we at least learning, but they wanted to learn from their coach not someone's father.  They asked to go to team camps, they asked for the gym to open on Sundays (the girls coach schedules open gym year around) and he would not do it. 
The players that left are all D1s.  Maybe UCA type D1s but future D1s nonetheless if they have the grades.  The one that left for NLR specified that he would stay if Bates left because Bates wasn't pushing him nor was he helping with the recruiting process.  Bates stayed and that player started on a team that won a state title with NLR.  Our All-tournament team player from 2014 was going to transfer to Hall if Bates had not be coerced to go.
Longing could have done more to put himself in position to take over but he just went along with whatever Bates said which is why they couldn't hire him without continuing to lose players.  He could have opened the gym and given one on one sessions but he didn't.  So give the young guy with great Jr high record a chance.  He is still young enough to get out there on the floor and show them how it is supposed to be done and he is energetic and hungry enough to crank up the bus in the summer and go to a couple of camps with them.  Plus at one point in time recently he had all of these boys winning games.
Nobody left Bates because of him being mean or mistreating anyone or some personal eye to eye issue, but the man had stopped coaching and he had a great group of athletes the past couple of years that wanted to be challenged and put to the test.  He wasn't the coach for them.

Obviously you are not as close to the facts as you would like to believe.  Conway boys teams went to no less than three team camps every summer. Unfortunately all those "D1 Prospects" are tied up tight playing with their AAU teams and there is not a chance in the world they choose their high school team over their AAU team. 

One of the frustrations of the job coach Johnson will face is the lack of time allowed to practice in the arena facilities as it will be shared with volleyball! cheerleading! track and soccer (on rainy days). The old gym will be used for wrestling and the jr high gyms are used by the jr high teams. During the season there is always a jr high game in the arena on Mondays and Thursdays  leaving Wednesdays to split with the girls. When you talk about not being in the gym that is not controlled by the coach and a problem that still remains.

As far as a group of kids winning at the jr high level compared to the high school level..c'mon..not even close to being the same. Kids that were out there this year for  the most part were selfish individual players who couldn't stay out of trouble off the court and in class.

Another fact wrong.  Bates was assistant high school coach under joe graham for several years before being hired as head coach. He didn't come straight from the junior high ranks.

Just keep on sitting up there with the other daddy's thinking you know what's going on and running your mouths. See if you can figure out why Conway can't attract a quality head high school coach and why they couldn't retain one.

BledBlue

Quote from: godeep on April 17, 2014, 08:46:15 am
Bledblue I have seen no answer to what you said. No way top coaches shouldn't have been knocking the door down for this job unless they did research and realize it ain't the job you think it is. Is Johnson black? Word on the street was Conway was looking for minority hire in this situation. Good coaching and not color of skin keeps good players home. Don't forget Bates came up as assistant for a few years  before becoming the head coach. Amazing what people forget.

Ding ding ding ding!    :D

ricepig

Conway doesn't have a practice gym, even Jonesboro has a practice gym at their Sr.high.

April 17, 2014, 11:52:54 am #60 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:12:36 pm by 141571671
Quote from: BledBlue on April 17, 2014, 10:39:58 am

I figured your issue was racism.  Ding Ding Ding.  The mass exodus is over with Johnson.  The players and their parents never saw color.

BledBlue

Quote from: 141571671 on April 17, 2014, 11:52:54 am
Quote from: BledBlue on April 17, 2014, 10:39:58 am

I figured your issue was racism and not the choice.  At least the current better coach has the job no matter his race and the mass exodus is over.  The nerve of those kids leaving cause Bates is white.

Good Lord! My issue has nothing to do with racism. Those kids didn't leave because the coach was white black or green and coach Johnson will be a good coach and it won't be because he is black. My point is they were pushed extremely hard to make a minority hire and I believe you know that to be true.

I have no problem at all with Will...hope he is wildly successful...and having all those players come flocking back that left because of bates will certainly help. They need them if they are D1s.  What I am trying to point out is that what you are trying to push off on coach bates and slam him for is not factual and some of it is problems that will remain for coach Johnson.

Just don't think it's right to start bashing a guy with stuff that is not true.  My second point was just a comment that there is a lot of surprise in the choice...and that also is a fact.

Not slamming Will at all.

Brian G

It is unusual to hire a guy with no 7A experience to the head job.  Especially at a school with the rich history that Conway has had.

I know for a fact they looked around pretty good and got turned down.  As I said before, part of that was the number of classes the HC has to teach.  Many top coaches do not teach that many.

Good luck

lets_b_real

I had the opportunity to watch kids play under both coaches, and neither coach struck me as being ready for the talent in Conway. Be it that Bates had been there for a while, he was well past his time, I laughed several times at games this season when parents were trying to help coach from the bleachers.....maybe Bates should have listened or at least tried to implement some of their ideals. You can't run a zone with 2 minutes to play down by 12 unless you're coaching to lose. The big kid, he kept on the bench should not have been on the team if he was not going to use him. Bates seemed to have problems with being to loyal to his players, their were several seniors who probably should not have been on the team, but Bates was loyal to them. The players who transferred or are planning to transfer may have had seeds planted while playing under Johnson, he had a great squad but could not close the deal with them. There seemed to have been games where he did not or did not know how to make adjustments. If you can't do it on the junior level it is going to be a 100 X's as hard in 7A level. Johnson sacrificed several players in Jr. High and kept players that had never made or played on a school team, those players have not made a team since. Maybe Johnson was tied down by Bates calling the shots. This last season Bates and Longing tried the same thing, keeping players for the JV squad who have never played before. When I saw Johnson coach he made questionable decisions with personnel. There is a lot of politics involved in Conway Sports. Do I believe Johnson was hired because he is black, yes, I do. Do I believe he can or will do a better Job than Bates, yes. A few reasons 1, Conway will be in a weaker conference. 2. Johnson will or should play a more uptempo style.
Conway is putting $880,000 into a press box for the football stadium, but they are not providing a practice facility for the basketball teams to consistently practice in. 2 football coaches, who don't have to teach just coach, but the head basketball coach has to teach 4 classes. That shows where the priorities are. Now the demographics of the football team is vastly different from that of the Basketball team. I wonder if that is a coincidence, probably not. I would hope that Conway board members, faculty, and the powers that be are truly behind Johnson, with that being said I hope that Johnson would not be political and play the players that give him the best opportunity to win. I wonder if he would welcome back some of the players who have already departed.....?

Nip/Tusk

Gotta love fans that think they know more than the coaches.

BledBlue

Quote from: Josh Louin on April 18, 2014, 07:35:21 am
Gotta love fans that think they know more than the coaches.

You are so right! Everyone starts coaching when the talent level is down because it's the coach that is at fault!

I'm not sure what games he was watching this year but our kids couldn't play man to man defense if their lives depended on it. They were horrible from the free throw line (coach cant shoot those and yes they do practice them). This year there were twice as many turnovers as in past years because there wasn't a ball handler in the bunch. Same coach that won the state title 4 years ago and was runner up in previous year because there was talent on the team!

As far as the coming years...Coach Johnson and Coach Longing will do a great job together and Conway will be as good as the talent that comes in the door.  If the AAU money sends them to another school to play...that's another story.

lets_b_real

I am reading conflicting ideas some say there is talent and some say there wasn't any talent. There were several athletes on that team that should have been playing,  but Bates chose not to play them. They could have played man. Coach doesn't make shots but they call plays. Bates team wasn't very disciplined, that's reflections of the coach. Interesting a coach has a ready made team and wins it all he's a great coach. When he supposedly has no talent,  why isn't his coaching greatness put on display then. Seems like they should practice more than free throws.

Nip/Tusk

You people are ridiculous. I have no ties to anyone in Conway, but its amazing to see the amount of people who are quick to criticize coaches who have given up countless hours of their time to represent school and town and for minimal pay. There's something wrong with our society that wants to pile on these people.

Nobody is stopping ANY of you from going to get your degree and try your hand at it.

lets_b_real

I think if someone takes a job they should be willing to put forth effort. Seems like you're suggesting Conway should be happy that he wanted to coach regardless of how his performance was. Why coach if you can't give it your all.

farfromgroovins

What would have been a successful performance then?
Multiple championships? Domination like LR Parkview, Hall, or NLR over the past few years?

Coach Bates had 1 losing season at CHS. I'm not saying fans should be happy with just above 0.500 all the time but CHS has been on the winning side more times than not the last 14 years. This past year the best they would have done was maybe 1 more round in the state tournament, regardless of which players from the bench were on the court. If you want to hang a bunch of banners from the rafters then get to recruiting the LR area. Even if you had kept or landed one it wouldn't have meant a championship. It takes more than just 1 phenom to do it at the 7A level. Just ask Malik Monk.

BledBlue

Quote from: lets_b_real on April 18, 2014, 11:48:28 am
I think if someone takes a job they should be willing to put forth effort. Seems like you're suggesting Conway should be happy that he wanted to coach regardless of how his performance was. Why coach if you can't give it your all.

This intrigues me...what have you seen to make you believe he doesn't give it his all?  Have you been to anything more than games?  Practices?  Coach/Player conferences?  Coach/Parent conferences?  Coach/Teacher conferences?  There were plenty from what I gathered.  Would he have been giving it his all if he had played the big guy after he skipped a conference game to take his girlfriend to Greenbrier homecoming?  Or the one that had been in In school suspension twice?  Do you stay at the gym and review the game film with him?  Just wondering where your opinion comes from or what it is based on.  Is it just because he doesn't make the coaching calls that you or others in the stands would?  Your suggestion that the coach listen to the parents in the stands and make adjustments accordingly does provide some insight as to your level of knowledge of the coaching profession.

farfromgroovins

"If you listen to the fans you'll be sitting up there with them." -- Buddy Ryan

Despite all this message board excitement where games are definitely not won or lost, I wish Coach Johnson the best.

Nip/Tusk

lets b real, why complain about coaching when you can go be one yourself?

lets_b_real

Quote from: BledBlue on April 18, 2014, 12:49:05 pm

This intrigues me...what have you seen to make you believe he doesn't give it his all?  Have you been to anything more than games?  Practices?  Coach/Player conferences?  Coach/Parent conferences?  Coach/Teacher conferences?  There were plenty from what I gathered.  Would he have been giving it his all if he had played the big guy after he skipped a conference game to take his girlfriend to Greenbrier homecoming?  Or the one that had been in In school suspension twice?  Do you stay at the gym and review the game film with him?  Just wondering where your opinion comes from or what it is based on.  Is it just because he doesn't make the coaching calls that you or others in the stands would?  Your suggestion that the coach listen to the parents in the stands and make adjustments accordingly does provide some insight as to your level of knowledge of the coaching profession.

The big kid, you are right skipped a game to take his Girlfriend to a dance, he was not playing more than a minute a game before that and some games he did not play at all. He possibly was the best post player on the team, can't much say I blame him, if he was not being given a chance to prove himself. I don't disagree with what you say about the suspended kid, however if you point fingers there, how do you justify it without mentioning the players who quit over playing time. They served no suspension at all. They sat out a game that they had planned to sit out, then they were allowed to play the next game. You don't punish the players who quit but you penalize the kid who does not play much for going to a dance?  My suggestion that he listen the the fans was merely sarcasm. If what he was doing was not working, he should have tried something else. Conway made the playoffs on the strength of beating 6A teams, the only 7A team conway beat that had a winning record was Cabot. You can tell a lot about a person from their body language. The few games I attended I saw a coach whose demeanor and body language was that of someone who had given up on his team and the game.

lets_b_real

Quote from: farfromgroovins on April 18, 2014, 01:22:38 pm
"If you listen to the fans you'll be sitting up there with them." -- Buddy Ryan

Despite all this message board excitement where games are definitely not won or lost, I wish Coach Johnson the best.

As well I wish Johnson and the new staff the best of luck.

Nip/Tusk

You can't tell anything by body language. Ever seen Phil Jackson coach? 

lets_b_real

Quote from: Josh Louin on April 18, 2014, 04:37:10 pm
You can't tell anything by body language. Ever seen Phil Jackson coach?

Are you suggesting Bates is Phil like?

You may not be able to read body language, I would like to think I can.

lets_b_real

Quote from: Josh Louin on April 18, 2014, 03:12:12 pm
lets b real, why complain about coaching when you can go be one yourself?

If and when the time is right I just may do that.

Nip/Tusk

You obviously didnt get my point. Phil Jackson rarely stood and to an outsider would APPEAR had disinterested body language.

If and when you do begin your coaching career I hope for you that people will not publicly diminish your efforts.

BledBlue

Quote from: lets_b_real on April 18, 2014, 04:33:55 pm
Quote from: BledBlue on April 18, 2014, 12:49:05 pm

The big kid, you are right skipped a game to take his Girlfriend to a dance, he was not playing more than a minute a game before that and some games he did not play at all. He possibly was the best post player on the team, can't much say I blame him, if he was not being given a chance to prove himself. I don't disagree with what you say about the suspended kid, however if you point fingers there, how do you justify it without mentioning the players who quit over playing time. They served no suspension at all. They sat out a game that they had planned to sit out, then they were allowed to play the next game. You don't punish the players who quit but you penalize the kid who does not play much for going to a dance?  My suggestion that he listen the the fans was merely sarcasm. If what he was doing was not working, he should have tried something else. Conway made the playoffs on the strength of beating 6A teams, the only 7A team conway beat that had a winning record was Cabot. You can tell a lot about a person from their body language. The few games I attended I saw a coach whose demeanor and body language was that of someone who had given up on his team and the game.

Try to follow me here...big kid couldn't go more than 2 minutes at a time, couldn't get off the floor to rebound and could not get up and down the floor with the fast pace teams Conway was playing.  No one suspended for quitting team.  In school suspension is where a kid is put because they can't act right in class and there are rules about playing time if you land there...because the coach cares.  If you have seen more than a few games, surely you know that the 6A is as strong and in some areas stronger than 7A. The guy coached for 30 years ... people with a lot more knowledge about the kids and the game and the coach than you have, evidently wanted him in that position. Only one losing season many years ago and you are bashing the guy.  Tell me..what is your background that qualifies you to make this assessment and would you make it without being anonymous??

lets_b_real

Sometimes coaching passes people up. I didn't diminish his career. I gave my assessment,  wether or not you agree is up to you. I respect your thoughts, however my views are different. Bates asked the big kid to play, give him a chance. If he wasn't in shape that's what conditioning in practice is for. I say the kids bear some responsibility, but the coach does too. Address the kids quitting,  and being allowed back with no consequences.

BledBlue

Quote from: lets_b_real on April 18, 2014, 06:30:20 pm
Sometimes coaching passes people up. I didn't diminish his career. I gave my assessment,  wether or not you agree is up to you. I respect your thoughts, however my views are different. Bates asked the big kid to play, give him a chance. If he wasn't in shape that's what conditioning in practice is for. I say the kids bear some responsibility, but the coach does too. Address the kids quitting,  and being allowed back with no consequences.
Yes everyone has their opinion and I now understand what yours is based on. 

Coach Johnson and Coach Longing will do a great job with the kids coming up and I'm sure Coach Bates is already enjoying being retired from basketball and its associated headaches.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas