• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Vacations

Started by -Painted Fan-, March 01, 2008, 08:12:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Where do you usually go for your summer getaway?
We have spent several summers in places like Dallas, St. Louis, Branson, or Hot Springs- places with an amusement park.  I love roller coasters!  And my daughters share that love (although my wife doesn't!).  It just seems that when we return from these trips, it's like we need a vacation from our vacation.
Last summer, we spent a week in Panama City Beach, Florida.  Nothing like lying on the beach all day, with a nice cold one, and not thinking about work or the 40-70 hours per week I spend there!  PCB is a 6 mile stretch of beach in the Gulf of Mexico, and not far from Pensacola, Fort Walton, and Mobile.  Our condo was a 17 story high-rise about a mile from one end.  On the 4th of July, you could look down the other end, and see 5 miles of non-stop fireworks.  Awesome!  We rented jet skis 2 or 3 of the days, and I don't think I thought of roller coasters once!
I must say, if there were drawbacks to the trip, it was the 800 mile drive down there.  And I compare the main strip through PCB to 76 through Branson- bumper to bumper traffic.  And the Wal-Mart was extremely busy.  It was like Black Friday!  Although, they did have some great deals during that week.  We just stocked the fridge and cabinets in the condo.  We still ate out several times, but not as much as we would have if we didn't have the full kitchen.
I'll end with this amusing story that my kids still tease me about. 
For those on here that don't know me very well, I can get a little scatter-brained at times.  I experienced just such a time on our last night there.
We were down on the beach filling little bottles with some sand to take back home.  I wanted to go back up to the room (we stayed on the 4th floor), and to get back, you had to go through the pool area.  The pool closed at 11:00 p.m. so there was no one down there.  I'm walking through there, and I noticed a big beach towel someone had left.  I pick it up, and it's one of those big ones with the half-naked girl on it- the kind they sell for $20 or $25 bucks at one of the surf shops that PCB has on every other corner.  I met my middle daughter and neice at the bottom of the stairs (they were going down to the beach), and I showed them the towel.  "Leslie (my wife) is going to kill you!" my neice says.  So, I'm walking up the stairs, folding that towel as small as I possibly could.  Our room was right off of the stairs, and I go up to the door (still trying to hide the towel), open, and step in.  Right away, I could tell something wasn't right.  There was a big red ice chest with a white lid in the hallway (we don't have a red one), and it smelled as if someone was cooking stir fry.  Only the kitchen light was on (thank God!), and I didn't see anyone.  My youngest daughter and son-in-laws sister should have been there, since it was about 1:00 am.  I re-opened the front door, and looked at the room number.  It was 509!  I was 1 floor up!  I ran out of there, ran down the stairs, and into our condo!  I was so scared that someone had seen me!  Why was their door unlocked at that hour?  And can you imagine if they would have been at the door when I re-opened it?!  It could have been a lot worse than it was, and all kinds of thoughts and scenarios were going through my mind.  Guys, this is what happens when you try to hide things from your wives!  I can look back and (almost) laugh now.  My wife and kids sure do!

msubulldogs21

Over the years my family has been to quite a few different places. Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, Orlando, Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago right off the top of my head. We're taking a vacation to Boston in July. I can't wait. It's more of a graduation present for me than anything, and we're going to Fenway and catching a Sox game. Should be a lot of fun. We always plan our vacations around going to an MLB game or two. It's a must.

Throwback1

Gulf Shores/Orange Beach and Lake Hamilton

SandLizard04

March 01, 2008, 09:34:14 pm #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:38:34 pm by Ramblin' Man™
I do it big every summer.

2003- Boy's State at UCA; National Beta Club Convention in NASHVILLE, where I turned 18; football camps at UA and ATU

2004- National quiz bowl tournament in CHICAGO; National Beta Club Convention in ATLANTA; two weeks with the girlfriend visiting her dad's houses in BOSTON, GLOUCESTER, and coastal MAINE

2005- A month long road-trip through TENNESSEE, MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA (Birmingham), GEORGIA (Atlanta), SOUTH CAROLINA (Clemson, Upstate), NORTH CAROLINA (Triangle, Kitty Hawk, Roanoke Island), VIRGINIA (Manassas, Arlington, Richmond, Charlottesville), DC, MARYLAND (three days with an ex-girlfriend in Baltimore), PENNSYLVANIA (Gettysburg), NEW YORK, CONNECTICUT, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW HAMPSHIRE, MAINE

2006- Two months going to OU and working for the National Weather Service in NORMAN, OK, where I turned 21, and traveling around various sites in Oklahoma

2007- Two weeks with RHS going to the NCAA track championship in SACRAMENTO, along with visiting SAN FRANCISCO, YOSEMITE, DEATH VALLEY, LAS VEGAS, ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, TEXAS, COLORADO, UTAH, NEVADA, KANSAS, and OKLAHOMA; Two months working the best job in the world based in BERKELEY, CA, but also worked in SAN FRANCISCO, OAKLAND, VALLEJO, SACRAMENTO; A long train ride back home, visiting ARIZONA, NEW MEXICO, SAN ANTONIO, and pretty much all of TEXAS

2008 (tentative plans) - Congressional internship in WASHINGTON DC; Working the same job I had last summer, only in PHILADELPHIA, BOSTON, or DC; and a month studying at the UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE in England

So I split my summers between working, studying, and going on holiday, but no matter what I do, I try to go as many places and have as much fun as possible.

Throwback1

well...nobody can tell you to "get a life" ;=)

SandLizard04

Quote from: Throwback1 on March 01, 2008, 09:36:19 pm
well...nobody can tell you to "get a life" ;=)
Ha, I guess. I try to make up for all the crappy times I have being forced to live here in Conway during the school year by having awesome summers. So far it's worked out okay.

Rizzo

Never really done a "family summer vacation," but, I've lived two summers in Nashville, starting when I was 15, one in Cincinnati, one in Alaska, all playing baseball. And I was out of state 3 out of four weekends a summer playing back from the age of 8-15. Been to just about every state, couple countries..and I now reside in Clearwater Beach, FL.

atownpantherfan05™

I've been to just about every corner of the U.S and this summer we're heading out to Flordia for about a month or two.

AHM™

This summer we are going to a trip to Wyoming and then in September we are going to a shuttle launch in Florida :) and in between all of that we will be at the lake almost every weekend that we aren't working...

Throwback1

I almost dropped out of college about 32 years ago to take a job on a working cattle ranch in Montana...I still wonder what if.....not financially, but fantasy wise, always had been, and will be, my dream job.  I did work on a ranch in Texas for a couple of summers during college and loved it, but not the same thing...oh, well...que sera, sera.

RHS

I have no idea on where I will actually be going, just that one stop will be Mt Rushmore and at least one baseball game. I will also probably visit at least 3 or 4 new states (almost done with the midwest, then I just need 2 in the NE and then the upper NW).

Wampus_Cat

March 02, 2008, 07:35:13 am #11 Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:22:13 am by thee original WC
I don't know where yet....our fraternities convention is down in Chicago, so I might hit that up...I'm kind of thinking the Bahamas too along with it, but we'll see.

jackfan1™

March 02, 2008, 08:37:53 am #12 Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 08:39:57 am by jackfan1™
Our "planned" vacations in the summer are usually with his family.
We have spent a week on Deep Creek Lake, Maryland; a cruise to Cozumel; a week at Treasure Island, Tampa/St.Pete, FL.
We just got back from San Francisco and are headed to Toronto/Niagara next month.
In the past, we've gone to Paris, France (twice) and Boston, Delaware, NYC, New Orleans, and Cincinnati among others.
I always spend a week in Atlanta with my daughter as well.

We just sort of go wherever. I prefer the beach but enjoy traveling just about any where.

Rizzo

Quote from: jackfan1™ on March 02, 2008, 08:37:53 am
Our "planned" vacations in the summer are usually with his family.
We have spent a week on Deep Creek Lake, Maryland; a cruise to Cozumel; a week at Treasure Island, Tampa/St.Pete, FL.
We just got back from San Francisco and are headed to Toronto/Niagara next month.
In the past, we've gone to Paris, France (twice) and Boston, Delaware, NYC, New Orleans, and Cincinnati among others.
I always spend a week in Atlanta with my daughter as well.

We just sort of go wherever. I prefer the beach but enjoy traveling just about any where.
Treasure Island's nice, I golf there.

-Painted Fan-

I made the statement in the first post
"You need a vacation from your vacation".
It sounds as if this applies to a LOT of folks on here!  LOL
Some of you must have some great frequent flyer miles!
I haven't been on a plane since 1990 (6 hour flight from Atlanta to San Fran); my wife and oldest daughter in '91 (San Fran to Ft. Smith).  Jessica wasn't quite 2 then.  My youngest 2 have never flown.
Funny thing.  We were at the airport in San Fran to see Leslie and Jessica off.  There was a couple there that had just gotten married.  Leslie made the comment about how lovely the bride's gown was.  My sister-in-law said "That's not a woman.  That's 2 guys."  We looked at Carol like "how do you know"?  She pointed at her neck.  ADAMS APPLE!

W

I go to Panama City Beach with my family and to Chicago with my 16-year-old sister for a week each every summer. This year, I'm starting a new thing--I'm leaving a few days after I finish finals for Colorado Springs to visit a good friend at the Air Force Academy. I've never been to Colorado when it's warm (only during ski season), so I'm excited about that.

Other than that, I plan to stay home and spend as much time with my family as possible, since I'm going to be studying in France for this entire fall semester, so I won't see them for three months straight (they're planning on coming over to visit me on Thanksgiving).

CatsRule

I'm currently planning a trip to Europe with a buddy of mine for this summer.  Bought my plane ticket a few days ago.  It'll be my first time outside of the good ole U.S.A., which is kind of odd to think about.  It's a great big world and I've seldom been outside of Arkansas. 

Anyway, we're still plotting and planning on where all we will go.  We've got from July 2nd (plane arrives in London) until July 19th (plane leaves Rome) to explore Europe.  It'd be nice to have more time to spend in Europe, but we will have to make due.  The places we consider "musts" at the moment are London, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence, Venice, Rome. 

Anyone have any suggestions on places to go, things to see, or things to do? 

jackfan1™

Quote from: CatsRule on March 02, 2008, 04:54:19 pm

I can tell you lots of stuff to see in Paris but you will need about a week.
And you would have to love museums like I do. :)
We spent an entire day just in the Louvre and didn't see everything.
We also went to Rodin's Musee, Musee Orsay, Sacre Cour, Eiffel, Seine Cruise, Bastille, Picasso Musee, Arch de'Triomphe, and so much more. We did divide it between two visits however.

jackfan1™

I'm currently planning a trip to Europe with a buddy of mine for this summer.  Bought my plane ticket a few days ago.  It'll be my first time outside of the good ole U.S.A., which is kind of odd to think about.  It's a great big world and I've seldom been outside of Arkansas. 

Anyway, we're still plotting and planning on where all we will go.  We've got from July 2nd (plane arrives in London) until July 19th (plane leaves Rome) to explore Europe.  It'd be nice to have more time to spend in Europe, but we will have to make due.  The places we consider "musts" at the moment are London, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence, Venice, Rome. 

p.s. Plan on taking LOTS of cash. The American dollar is so weak right now.

W

Go to Montmartre in Paris. I went there 4 years ago and the place was magical. I felt like I'd been transported into another world, it was the coolest thing to me. It was a bunch of shops and artists sitting on the street, you know, things like that, but I can't describe it well beyond that--it was just so neat.

jackfan1™

Quote from: W on March 02, 2008, 10:18:01 pm

Go to Montmartre in Paris. I went there 4 years ago and the place was magical. I felt like I'd been transported into another world, it was the coolest thing to me. It was a bunch of shops and artists sitting on the street, you know, things like that, but I can't describe it well beyond that--it was just so neat.

Montemartre is a neat place. We got there by walking down the back street from Sacre Cour and  I enjoyed watching the artists do portraits of the tourists.

Did you ride the cable trolley up? We were goofs...we walked UP alllll those steps and then rode down.
I have to say, the view of Paris from atop that hill is breathtaking.

jackfan1™

I just thought of another place you might enjoy if you want to buy authentic souvenirs or maybe a few European fashions for cheap....
the brocante, Clingnancourt, is the largest flea market and antique fair.
You have to ride the subway all the way to the end and then walk down the street a bit. And watch for pick pockets...they are like fleas on a dog and very, very good at what they do.
But it is a great place to mingle with the French, buy stuff like they buy, and get some good bargains. Just be sure to know a few bargaining phrases and make eye contact with the vendors if you touch their stuff. It is the respectful thing to do.

I got my daughter a really neat French top and we bought leather coats. The dollar won't buy as much now but you can still get a good deal if you haggle a little.
Oh, and watch for pickpockets....just wanted to make sure you got that. ;)

W

Quote from: jackfan1™ on March 02, 2008, 10:25:04 pm
Quote from: W on March 02, 2008, 10:18:01 pm

Montemartre is a neat place. We got there by walking down the back street from Sacre Cour and  I enjoyed watching the artists do portraits of the tourists.

Did you ride the cable trolley up? We were goofs...we walked UP alllll those steps and then rode down.
I have to say, the view of Paris from atop that hill is breathtaking.

We did ride the cable trolley up. I am going back to Paris this September and really hope that another run to Montmartre is in the itinerary!

jackfan1™

Quote from: W on March 02, 2008, 11:02:12 pm

We did ride the cable trolley up. I am going back to Paris this September and really hope that another run to Montmartre is in the itinerary!

Smart!

We walked up these...

I thought I was gonna' die.

CatsRule

Quote from: W on March 02, 2008, 11:02:12 pm<br />
Quote from: jackfan1™ on March 02, 2008, 10:25:04 pm<br />
Quote from: W on March 02, 2008, 10:18:01 pm<br />
Quote from: CatsRule on March 02, 2008, 04:54:19 pm<br />I'm currently planning a trip to Europe with a buddy of mine for this summer.  Bought my plane ticket a few days ago.  It'll be my first time outside of the good ole U.S.A., which is kind of odd to think about.  It's a great big world and I've seldom been outside of Arkansas.  <br /><br />Anyway, we're still plotting and planning on where all we will go.  We've got from July 2nd (plane arrives in London) until July 19th (plane leaves Rome) to explore Europe.  It'd be nice to have more time to spend in Europe, but we will have to make due.  The places we consider "musts" at the moment are London, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence, Venice, Rome.  <br /><br />Anyone have any suggestions on places to go, things to see, or things to do?  <br />
<br /><br />Go to Montmartre in Paris. I went there 4 years ago and the place was magical. I felt like I'd been transported into another world, it was the coolest thing to me. It was a bunch of shops and artists sitting on the street, you know, things like that, but I can't describe it well beyond that--it was just so neat.<br />
<br /><br />Montemartre is a neat place. We got there by walking down the back street from Sacre Cour and  I enjoyed watching the artists do portraits of the tourists.<br /><br />Did you ride the cable trolley up? We were goofs...we walked UP alllll those steps and then rode down.<br />I have to say, the view of Paris from atop that hill is breathtaking.<br />
<br /><br />We did ride the cable trolley up. I am going back to Paris this September and really hope that another run to Montmartre is in the itinerary!<br />

Thanks W and jackfan1!  Montmartre sounds like a cool place that I would definately be interested in visiting.  Hopefully I can convince my travel buddy that it's worth seeing, as well.  It seems like it'd be up his alley too, so that shouldn't be too hard.  Plus, he's been to Paris before, so I think he may give me free reign at that particular juncture of the trip. 

BusyMom

Going to the Dominican Republic this spring.

philgoodallday

I've been all over the US.  If you are on a budget, like theme parks and ball games, and have to have something for the whole family:

I like to go to St. Louis.  We have taken other trips, but I like to stay out at Eureka, across from Six Flags.  We go into town one day, let the girls do some shopping at Grand Junction Mall, eat, and then walk over to the stadium for a game.  We spend one entire day at Six Flags, which we all love.  I like the fact that the water park is connected, so you can go and cool down.  If you go towards the end of the summer, when it's really hot, the crowds aren't nearly as bad...especially if you can get there after the St. Louis-area schools are back in class.  If you schedule ahead, staying in Eureka (preferably the Sheridan right next door) is well worth it, because you are worn out and can go to the room and kick it!  The St. Louis Zoo is between the city and Eureka, so we usually spend most of a day there.  The only problem with going that time of year is that some of the animals aren't on the move when it's really hot.  We go anyways.  I'm a sucker for watching bears feed and otters play.

Women get to shop.  We get to ride rides.  Daddy gets a ball game in.

This summer will be the first time I take my son to a Cardinals game.  He'll be 3 and he LOVES baseball!  I can't wait!

ReconSniper

id love to go to Germany, but i have no idea where i will be going as of right now.  Maybe to the Pecos Wilderness again?

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: HU Filmer '08 on March 03, 2008, 01:54:55 pm
id love to go to Germany, but i have no idea where i will be going as of right now.  Maybe to the Pecos Wilderness again?
Germany's a blast.

My brother's coming over for Spring Break, so we're going to Pisa, Italy along with showing him around town. I'm also making a trip to France to see a friend, probably along the French/German border.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas