• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Hate Cell Phones! Part 2

Started by -Painted Fan-, May 25, 2006, 02:50:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Okay, we've had some great discussion, both pro and con, regarding the driving segment of Why I Hate Cell Phones.  But is it only the driving while chatting that irks me?  Hardly!
THEATRES
I take the family to see Stay Alive.  For the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, there's some kids 2 rows up that keep playing with their cell phones.  And the blue lights are very distracting, to say the least.  I wanted to say something, or go get a manager, but my wife keeps telling me not to start something.  Finally, a guy sitting in our row yells "Put 'em up or leave!"  I looked down the row at him and mouthed Thank You.
I know every theatre in Fort Smith has signs posted saying to put away cell phones while the movie is playing.  I guess some folks just can't read.
CHURCH
A few months ago, during the Sunday morning sermon, a woman's cell phone rings.  She answered it, got up, and left the auditorium.  From the 30 seconds or so that it took her to leave, the call did NOT sound like an emergency, just a casual call.  Our pastor acted like nothing happened and kept on with the sermon.  Now, I attend a pretty small church (about 100), but can you imagine this happening at one of the Mega Churches discussed in another thread?  Can't you just see T.D. Jakes at The Potter's House in Dallas (30,000 congregation!) stopping mid-sentence and stare a hole in the person that did not turn their ringer off?!
SHOPPING
I'm at the mall shopping for a Mother's Day gift for my wife.  I'm in a store, waiting to check out, while the employee is chatting away on her cell phone.  I have no idea where the other employees were, as she was the only one at the counter.  After about 2-3 minutes of just standing there looking at her, I almost put away the outfit I was buying, and walk out.  Just as I was about to, she FINALLY ended her call.
THE LOCKER ROOM
I work with a guy who's father-in-law is principal of a high school in Oklahoma.  He told me that during basketball season this past year, someone was taking pictures of the other boys (naked.  And without their knowledge or consent), and downloading them on the internet.  The principal told the entire team that if he found out who the culprit was, he was expelled without hesitation.  As the father of 3 kids, I can honestly tell you; if someone were to do this to my kids, they'd better pray I never found out who they were!  Expelling them would be a LIGHT punishment!

I know I have some things I do that annoy people.  Maybe it's my constant rambling about movies, music, or amusement parks.  Maybe it's my undying love for my Charleston Tigers.  Hey, I didn't get 240 slaps by being fearlessfriday's favorite poster (a few after I posted Part 1 of this topic.  A big Thank You to whoever did this.).  Not everyone sees eye-to-eye on every issue.  Hey, my wife and I have been together for 18 years, and we disagree every now and then.  Everyone does.  I guess all I'm trying to say is to maybe be a little more considerate of others.  And I'll try to do the same.
              I remain your friend,  -Painted Fan-

HA_Fan

May 25, 2006, 03:25:30 pm #1 Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 03:29:45 pm by Nolan Ryan™
Quote from: -Painted Fan- on May 25, 2006, 02:50:37 pm
I know every theatre in Fort Smith has signs posted saying to put away cell phones while the movie is playing. I guess some folks just can't read.

Maybe they should post the sign using text message lingo.

CHURCH
A few months ago, during the Sunday morning sermon, a woman's cell phone rings. She answered it, got up, and left the auditorium.

Few things irritate me more than this at church.  And for us Churchachristers, we have to make sure no one sings while the ringtone is playing.   ;)  Unless you think God needs to use Cingular to reach you, turn it off or leave it in the car.

SHOPPING
I'm at the mall shopping for a Mother's Day gift for my wife. I'm in a store, waiting to check out, while the employee is chatting away on her cell phone.

Don't forget the customers on this one.  You're 2nd in line, but #1 in line is too busy to answer the "debit or credit" question because he's too busy talking on the cell phone.

Let me add a few more...

WEDDINGS & FUNERALS
It is one of the most important days in the history of a family, and the latest hip-hop ringtone echoes through the auditorium.

RESTAURANTS
Why is it that people who talk on cell phones at restaurants have to talk 50% louder than they would to those at their own table?

and my personal favorite...

PUBLIC RESTROOMS
You hear the phone in the next stall go off, AND HE ANSWERS IT!!  Almost every time he answers it.  Usually the first line is, "O not much."  He's sitting on the pot having a meaningless conversation.  (Think about that the next time you borrow somebody's phone.)  This is the point where I flush multiple times.  I don't care if I just walked in or am about to leave.  The guy he's talking to is going to know where he is.

RHS

I had someone talking ton their cell almost hit me last night because they were drifting into my lane. My first thought was of you Painted Fan.

QuoteFor the first 20 minutes or so of the movie, there's some kids 2 rows up that keep playing with their cell phones.  And the blue lights are very distracting, to say the least.

I've yelled at some kids before for that. I hate talking during a movie.

I've answered the phone in the bathroom before. Even called people a few times.

HA_Fan

Quote from: Wallace Spearmon on May 25, 2006, 03:33:37 pm
I've answered the phone in the bathroom before. Even called people a few times.

If I'm ever in Russellville prepare for the flushing, my friend.

-Painted Fan-

The restroom one brought back a memory of something that happened at work one night a few years ago.  This guy I used to work next to came back from the bathroom laughing.  I had to ask.  He said he's in the stall, and someone enters the stall next to him.  All of a sudden, he hears this "hey, what's goin' on".  Carl answers "nothing much".  The guy asks "what are you doin?"  Carl said he was like "What the..", so he says "oh, I'm just trying to make it through the night, till time to go home".  So the guy in the next stall says "well let me get off here.  Some idiot in the next stall keeps answering everything I say"!

I totally agree on all the others you mentioned.  Clap for you, my friend.

mudturtle

Heard of women having their Pap smear grab their phone, "Not much, and you?"

johnharrison

At the funeral, just hope the ringing isn't coming from inside the casket!

Australians have the most wonderfully laid back attitude, but apparently it has its limits and cellphone etiquette is important.
I was attending a performance at the famed Sydney Opera House.  The MC welcomed the crowd of thousands and asked them all to turn off their cell phones. 

About that time, a bright red laser dot showed up smack in the middle of his forehead.  After the crowd laughed, he pointed out the lighting man in the balcony who had the laser and said,  "If we hear a single noise from any cellphone, that guy is going to hold that laser light on the back of your head until you get embarrassed enough to leave the theatre.  Turn them off now, please.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: mudturtle on May 25, 2006, 05:49:05 pm
Heard of women having their Pap smear grab their phone, "Not much, and you?"

Or even worse, a woman answering her phone when right in the middle of dealing with Aunt Flo, saying "Ohhhhhh, nothin', just thinkin' about you..."

Lions84

Our senior pastor busted a lady out for that one Sunday.   The phone rang she started talking He walks into the crowd takes the cell phone and says is this an emegency ... Well then this is Rev Olin Collins and she will call you back when I get finished Preaching and then he hung it up and started preaching again.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas