• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oldest High Schools

Started by -Painted Fan-, May 20, 2006, 04:27:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Painted Fan-

Last night, I went to Charleston's Graduation Ceremonies.  It was the school's 111th graduating class, dating back to 1895.
   I know Charleston's not the oldest school in the state, but I'm curious as to some of the others. 
   So how about it?  What are some of the oldest schools, still in existence, around the state?

Father Guido

I don't know about the school, but I think I had some teacher that were more that 111.

pioneerbasketball

Don't know about how old batesville's school is but its the 2nd oldest city in arkansas.

rabs_fan4life

I know for a fact that Lonoke is at least 86 years old...becaues they adopted the Jackrabbit as their mascot in 1920 but I know the school district had been around for a little while before then but I don't know exactly how long.  I want to know that now, but not exactly sure where to find out.

billsweeter

um sherman high school(now little rock central)opened in 1869...dont know if that is the oldest though

RD™

Greenwood I believe had there first class in 1879.

We started football in 1901, geeze can you believe we actually threw it...motherless ones..

billsweeter

so we are looking for a school older than 1869

SandLizard04

Dardanelle is the third oldest city in Arkansas, established in the 1810s. It was officially incorporated in 1855.

I'm not sure when the first school came into existence, but I'll try to do some research on that.

The_reality_is...

Try out in Carden Bottoms....it was a school long ago.........

SandLizard04

Noooo joke. That place is ancient.

warriorsforever

Mount St. Mary's opened in 1851.  According to  the Arkansas history book, it is the oldest continuing school in Arkansas

SandLizard04

Quote from: warriorsforever on May 21, 2006, 06:45:21 am
Mount St. Mary's opened in 1851. According to the Arkansas history book, it is the oldest continuing school in Arkansas
Well there's your answer. Arkansas history book? Got a link or is it in print?

warriorsforever

In print- An Arkansas History For Young People, third Edition- Check your school or a junior high student, since it is supposed to be taught in that grade range

Texarkana_Piggie

arkansas high's first graduating class was in 1899.

Father Guido

Mount St. Mary's opened in 1851. According to the Arkansas history book, it is the oldest continuing school in Arkansas

I don't have an Arkansas History Book handy, and I'm way past the 8th grade, so help me out here.  Would that be the Mount St. Mary's at Altus, (or just north or Altus), or are we talking about the Catholic Girls school in Little Rock?

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 21, 2006, 05:18:37 pm

Just curious, which came first - Arkansas High or Texas High?

warriorsforever

Mount St. Mary's in Little Rock- the girl's school.  Founded by the Catholic diocese and the Sisters of Mercy.

Woodlawn#1

So the first high school in the state was only for girls? I'll admit it seems sometimes like they need it more, but anyway. ;)

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on May 21, 2006, 05:54:20 pm
Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on May 21, 2006, 05:18:37 pm

Just curious, which came first - Arkansas High or Texas High?

tisd website says they were established in 1889.  so i'm guessing they graduated their first class in 1890.  that would have been 9 years before ahs.

Lions84

Well don't try the ADE website it's useless  >:(

W

That's what I was thinking--I was about to do some research and verify it first, but you all beat me to it! That's a pretty darn old school.

chrismurphy19

Quote from: Lions84 on May 23, 2006, 12:45:28 pm
Well don't try the ADE website it's useless >:(

Anything having to do with the Arkansas Dept. of Education is useless.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Chris Murphy on May 24, 2006, 12:19:18 am
Quote from: Lions84 on May 23, 2006, 12:45:28 pm
Well don't try the ADE website it's useless >:(

Anything having to do with the Arkansas Dept. of Education is useless.

amen

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas