• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE Voice of the Newport Greyhounds

Started by whippersnapper, December 28, 2016, 12:27:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

whippersnapper

Not many towns in America are blessed with a year in and year out voice to broadcast games for their local high school atheltics. But Newport was a town that was blessed with just that. It is with a heavy heart that I say THE VOICE of Greyhound football has left us... Bud Black here is to you. I have never had the honor to meet Bud but an HONOR is what it would've been. He was a close friend of the late Coach Keedy. Many nights he called defensive stops and touchdowns for the Greyhounds through the 80s and 90s. And I havent heard this next particular call but I was told the story by legendary Don Campbell once. They Greyhounds had made a big stop on defense and Bud said "There must have been 13 greyhounds on the play!"  The General called Coach Keedy the next day to say "Hey tell Bud there can only be 11 on each side at a time." I busted out laughing once The General told me that story.
For a moment I almost moved back to Newport to cover the Greyhounds with David Black (Bud's younger brother) but things changed. I had written down a list of questions I had wanted to ask Bud about commentating before I went into it. A while back Cable 15 TV which is owned by the Black family ran a series called Remember When.. here is Bud's version of it. https://youtu.be/5vVwQd5gzIM
Not many families get a chance to have a coach on the sideline and 2 commentators all from their hometown. I have always considered the Black family the 2nd family of Newport behind the Keedys.
GO HOUNDS GO!!!!!

Head Lion

Condolences and prayers from Manila, having grown up during that time period. The tradition & support was up there with anyone.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas