• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cocky or Confident?

Started by gold45, December 08, 2016, 04:45:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gold45

Since I'm tired of reading and writing poetry on the Charleston vs. Prescott thread, I thought I would throw out this burning question of mine.  Where exactly is the line between being an arrogant fan and just being a fan who is a true believer in their team's ability to win?   I read all these comments about how cocky Tiger fans are but how are they any different than any other confident fan from a winning program?  Go Tigers!

RTF

Since your the one asking the question, what do you think is the difference?

gold45

I don't know!  That's why I'm asking. 

GBattack

I'm going to give you the answer that my current professor would give you (statistical research applications)... "it depends"....  LOL. I know CT and Dynasty and several of the posters on here, so I can "hear" the tone of their posts if you will. But if I didn't...and I were from an opposing school...I'd probably think "cocky"... BUT.... I also assume that most other fans and posters are much like our own with a few exceptions...lol. It's really subjective. The one thing I DO know is that our boys are humble and focused. No cockiness there...

nastynice

In the real world, confident people don't have to say anything to prove the way they feel. Their actions and accomplishments will speak loud enough. Cocky individuals typically are more insecure and feel the need to tell others they're great in case others can't see it.

But, here on FF we aren't in the real world. So the line between Cocky or Confident is grey and very thin.

But me, I'm just an arrogant arss hole according to my wife, so who knows!

Lineman

Cocky or Confident?  Yes, yes we are.

sevenof400

What is best in life, Gold45?

gold45

Quote from: GBattack on December 08, 2016, 05:18:38 pm
I'm going to give you the answer that my current professor would give you (statistical research applications)... "it depends"....  LOL. I know CT and Dynasty and several of the posters on here, so I can "hear" the tone of their posts if you will. But if I didn't...and I were from an opposing school...I'd probably think "cocky"... BUT.... I also assume that most other fans and posters are much like our own with a few exceptions...lol. It's really subjective. The one thing I DO know is that our boys are humble and focused. No cockiness there...
"It depends"...the favorite answer of the world of academia cause nobody wants to be wrong! Ha! 

gold45

Quote from: nastynice on December 08, 2016, 05:28:30 pm
In the real world, confident people don't have to say anything to prove the way they feel. Their actions and accomplishments will speak loud enough. Cocky individuals typically are more insecure and feel the need to tell others they're great in case others can't see it.

But, here on FF we aren't in the real world. So the line between Cocky or Confident is grey and very thin.

But me, I'm just an arrogant arss hole according to my wife, so who knows!

I can't imagine her saying that about you, Nasty!  Good answer!

gold45

gold45

beach bum

Curleywolf Fan

Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2016, 06:21:59 pm
Charleston 49 Prescott 13
Prescott 49 Charleston 13. See what I did lol I love playing this game!😛

sevenof400

Quote from: gold45 on December 08, 2016, 06:18:41 pm
Such a subjective question....

Man, I set you up good for that one.....and you fumbled....

gold45

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 08, 2016, 07:02:59 pm
Man, I set you up good for that one.....and you fumbled....

In the real world, confidence ofcourse.  In the fearless world, those perceived as cocky are more entertaining.  Fumble recovery?

beach bum

Quote from: Curleywolf Fan on December 08, 2016, 06:37:40 pm
Prescott 49 Charleston 13. See what I did lol I love playing this game!😛

Except you lose...

KOJACK

Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2016, 06:21:59 pm
Charleston 49 Prescott 13
wow...that's confident. What game did you see Prescott play?

HeadBussa08

the glen rose game remember? lol

Lineman

Quote from: KOJACK on December 08, 2016, 07:55:49 pm
wow...that's confident. What game did you see Prescott play?
Hopscotch. The curly wolves were down at half, but pulled out a last second win on a Hail Mary jump.

HeadBussa08

KOJACK

Quote from: Lineman on December 08, 2016, 08:38:46 pm
Hopscotch. The curly wolves were down at half, but pulled out a last second win on a Hail Mary jump.
So that win was not good enough because it was last second??? Comparing scores can get you in trouble beach bum...

HeadBussa08

ooooooooo we got trouble we got trouble we got troublllllllleeeeeeeeee

Lineman

Quote from: KOJACK on December 08, 2016, 08:50:54 pm
So that win was not good enough because it was last second??? Comparing scores can get you in trouble beach bum...
I've always said a win is a win, no matter how ugly.

Lineman

Quote from: HeadBussa08 on December 08, 2016, 08:53:50 pm
ooooooooo we got trouble we got trouble we got troublllllllleeeeeeeeee
Calm down. Take some Pepto Bismol.

athletic supporter

Here is the difference between confidence and cocky

Charleston/Prescott are confident. They consistently win.

Lamar/Paris are cocky. If you need explanation, you don't know either fan base.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: athletic supporter on December 09, 2016, 06:27:54 am

This is funny and true.

RTF

I disagree with athlestic supporter, you can be cocky and be good at what you do.

I agree more with nastnice, Confidence is going out there on that field believing in yourself( and the team) in that YOU know that you can win this game. Cockiness is when you have tell EVERYONE that you are going to win the game (in essence rubbing peoples noses in it.)

athletic supporter

Quote from: RTF on December 09, 2016, 08:21:16 am
I disagree with athlestic supporter, you can be cocky and be good at what you do.

I agree more with nastnice, Confidence is going out there on that field believing in yourself( and the team) in that YOU know that you can win this game. Cockiness is when you have tell EVERYONE that you are going to win the game (in essence rubbing peoples noses in it.)

So Charleston fans are confident AND cocky?

RTF

December 09, 2016, 09:46:44 am #28 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:02:00 am by RTF
Confidence- is also knowing that you could lose the game, but you know who you are and are confident that your abilities will give you the best chance to win.

Cockiness- is believing  you cannot lose. People believe you to be cocky when you do not give the other team any respect and/or chance in the game.

Maybe this sounds better?

CURLEYWOLF24

Charleston fans are worse than Bama fans by far.  Just can't wait until tomorrow so we can shut them up!

Made

Cocky answer.....we're going to blow them out cause we the greatest thing since sliced bread, don;t matter what the other team gots we got more weapons, shut down 2 we got 15, shut down 15 we got 3, shut down 3 we got 4 mo to take his spot ya'll, yeah bruh.

Confident answer.....we should be able to win this one based on what I've seen us do this year and what I've seen on film of our next opponent.

OLDSCHOOL82

Confident/cocky is completely impossible to define as each state/town/community/school/family views it different.  You must have both to be successful in anything but, I guess the best statement would be, win with class and lose with class.  Side note: class is also impossible to define as it is viewed differently in each state/town/community/school/family/etc. IMO, basically be confident in your ability to win, keep your mouth shut and go out and win.  After you win, great game/challenge is all that needs said.  You learn when you lose, take it and get better.

GBattack

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on December 09, 2016, 10:21:17 am
Confident/cocky is completely impossible to define as each state/town/community/school/family views it different.  You must have both to be successful in anything but, I guess the best statement would be, win with class and lose with class.  Side note: class is also impossible to define as it is viewed differently in each state/town/community/school/family/etc. IMO, basically be confident in your ability to win, keep your mouth shut and go out and win.  After you win, great game/challenge is all that needs said.  You learn when you lose, take it and get better.

Well said OS.

CoolBreeze

December 09, 2016, 11:55:50 am #33 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:46:20 pm by CoolBreeze
From what I've seen on this thread, confident is me and mine. Cocky is thee and thine.

In other words, it's in the eye of the beholder. MY team and my fans are confident. Teams and fans I don't like or oppose are cocky.

Lineman

That's why I like to be cockident!!

The Dynasty

Quote from: athletic supporter on December 09, 2016, 06:27:54 am

That pretty much sums it up. Well done Jock Strap.

Coach Venny Slocombe

I am gonna say this but I want everyone to know that I hope Chuck wins simply because they are from the area I live in. A couple of years back when Storey was the QB there were two Chucktown posters saying that Chuck could beat Greenwood...to me that's a little overboard in being a fan...Greenwood would thrash Chuck on any given Friday and they should...much bigger school. It was way arrogant for Chuck fans to even think that. Again, it wasn't all of the Chuck posters...just a couple...

nastynice

^^That's not being cocky or confident, that's just being stupid!

MICHAELSPAPPY

December 12, 2016, 08:46:39 am #38 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:48:12 am by MICHAELSPAPPY
Confident people do not have to be insulting.

kjjackson

Confident people are on your side, cocky are on the other side.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: RTF on December 09, 2016, 08:21:16 am
Cockiness is when you have tell EVERYONE that you are going to win the game (in essence rubbing peoples noses in it.)

Well put.

Usually teams will root for other teams in their conference because it makes the conference look better. When most of the teams someone plays root against them no matter who they are playing, they probably can guess that they need a little attitude adjustment.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on December 12, 2016, 08:57:36 am
Well put.

Usually teams will root for other teams in their conference because it makes the conference look better. When most of the teams someone plays root against them no matter who they are playing, they probably can guess that they need a little attitude adjustment.
True, sometimes. Other times, it's just envy.

HSFBF

December 12, 2016, 06:32:49 pm #42 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:40:39 pm by HSFBF

Re: Charleston vs. Prescott @ The Rock
Quote from fbhound on another FF page...
Time for basketball FF posters, but we do appreciate all the insight on what a homer is or who's a bragger, a humble fan, a trash talker or cocky or a clown or jerk or classless or graceful, etc etc.

You know, we hear those remarks every year, and it's part of the occasional senseless banter we read on FF and that Lanny allows for the sake of Friday night football hype and humor.... if kept friendly and not considered to be directed, vulgar name calling. Thanks to the moderators for keeping vigil and helping us wince and retaliate "within reason"... LOL

Til next FOOTBALL season, have a great next 8 months. Now, basketball....
Agree with fbhound, a long time FF poster, and fits on this thread...  Thanks Lanny for FF the past many years!!   :D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas