• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10 2A Coaches of all Time

Started by bluebear, March 27, 2017, 09:06:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebear

Off season is dragging by.. Need something to pass the time. And drag up a little History and debate. May need to talk to some of the old timers, but dating back as far as you can remember, who in your opinion are some of the best coaches to Coach in 2A? Based on W's or L's? State Championships? Affect on the student, school, community etc..

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bluebear on March 27, 2017, 09:06:15 pm
Off season is dragging by.. Need something to pass the time. And drag up a little History and debate. May need to talk to some of the old timers, but dating back as far as you can remember, who in your opinion are some of the best coaches to Coach in 2A? Based on W's or L's? State Championships? Affect on the student, school, community etc..

Frank McClellan

mr.gametime

BigBob

Hornet4ever

Can't have one of these threads without mentioning Carpenter from Junction City. Sure, he's had some incredible athletes to help, but his coaching led those kids to success every year. Great coach.

Sonofasonofasailor

March 28, 2017, 10:08:23 am #5 Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:16:28 am by Sonofasonofasailor
Quote from: BigBob on March 27, 2017, 10:29:17 pm
. Details?

Always rumors some Helena athletes found their way to Barton and I've seen some friendly officiating there but that was a dynasty. 

http://www.cityofhelenawesthelena.com/Coach_Frank_McClellan.pdf

southarkdaddy

Its got to be Mclellan then Carpentar and everyone else a long distance 3rd

Danvillegrad77

Hugh Parker at Danville.  2 State titles 1971 and 1974, at least 13 straight conference titles, 22 overall I think.  Had undefeated back to back seasons in the mid 60's.  Used to play teams such as Booneville, Atkins, Dardanelle, Charleston, Greenwood, St Annes from Ft Smith, Russellville's B teams back in the day.  He would play anybody regardless of school size.  This was before the playoffs as they are now existed.  When they started in 1970, Danville either won or lost to the team that did.  Back then you had to win your conference or you missed playoffs, no wild cards.  The first year Danville lost to a team that didn't win the title was 1976.  The field house is named after him.  Best coach i have ever been associated with.

M.I. D

McClellan is #1. Don't leave Mike White at Mount Ida out. 2 State Titles in his first 11 years as head coach. Many conference titles. He's proven when the talent is there you better watch out. Carpenter is up there too. The guy that was at Bauxite for ages when they were AA was good too. Don Phillips was a good coach at Jessieville before they moved up.

Dr. Defense

Quote from: M.I. D on March 28, 2017, 01:49:34 pm
McClellan is #1. Don't leave Mike White at Mount Ida out. 2 State Titles in his first 11 years as head coach. Many conference titles. He's proven when the talent is there you better watch out. Carpenter is up there too. The guy that was at Bauxite for ages when they were AA was good too. Don Phillips was a good coach at Jessieville before they moved up.

Watson was his name

Clay Totty has been a really good 2A coach for a long time also

Lions84

HorseFeathers

Gus malzahn was an exceptional 2a coach 4(?) State titles....Got 2 different teams to semi finals appearances in a short lived small school career 8)

4real

Coach McClellen has to be considered at the top of the class.  Had a friend that played on three of the four in a row streak and he said they rarely had more than 18-22 kids on those teams.   But they were the toughest and most disciplined and athletic group consistently.  No doubt they benefited from key athletes from HWH during his era.

Coach Parker of Danville has to be high on this list.  Had his prime prior to McClellens prime.  During the 60' and 70's you had to beat Danville to be considered the best.  One of those undefeated teams from the 60's had a goal line uncrossed finish by the defense.  That may never happen again at any level.  I've heard stories from guys that played against one of those Danville teams that there was a lineman who had one and half arms and that he was the toughest hitter despite one arm just kind of having a flipper.

Danvillegrad77 probyknows this story better, but to my knowledge Coach Parker was pressured to leave in the late 70's, he went to Ola for a couple years and led Ola to their first two wins ever against the Little Johns. Not to mention those were the two years Brad Taylor was a starting quarterback as a 9th and 10th grader. Then Coach Parker went to Waldron where his oldest son played and graduated, then came back to finish his career at Danville in 88 when his youngest son graduated.

I was in upper elementary that year and will never forget him sitting there during our Elem PE class when I got in my first fist fight. He just waited till we were done, said good fight boys, now lets go inside and let's get a whoopin.

big E

McClellan,  Watson, Carroll Wilson from Augusta. Lonnie Sutton Mountain pine.. Philips from Jessiville  But don't forget Jon Watson had a real good run at Gillette before he went to Bauxite. And one of my favorites of all time James Wright. Finished at Hughes coached at Rison,that man could coach that single wing.

Danvillegrad77

Quote from: 4real on March 28, 2017, 07:24:24 pm
Coach McClellen has to be considered at the top of the class.  Had a friend that played on three of the four in a row streak and he said they rarely had more than 18-22 kids on those teams.   But they were the toughest and most disciplined and athletic group consistently.  No doubt they benefited from key athletes from HWH during his era.

Coach Parker of Danville has to be high on this list.  Had his prime prior to McClellens prime.  During the 60' and 70's you had to beat Danville to be considered the best.  One of those undefeated teams from the 60's had a goal line uncrossed finish by the defense.  That may never happen again at any level.  I've heard stories from guys that played against one of those Danville teams that there was a lineman who had one and half arms and that he was the toughest hitter despite one arm just kind of having a flipper.

Danvillegrad77 probyknows this story better, but to my knowledge Coach Parker was pressured to leave in the late 70's, he went to Ola for a couple years and led Ola to their first two wins ever against the Little Johns. Not to mention those were the two years Brad Taylor was a starting quarterback as a 9th and 10th grader. Then Coach Parker went to Waldron where his oldest son played and graduated, then came back to finish his career at Danville in 88 when his youngest son graduated.

I was in upper elementary that year and will never forget him sitting there during our Elem PE class when I got in my first fist fight. He just waited till we were done, said good fight boys, now lets go inside and let's get a whoopin.
i remeber that paddle well

MR#1

Quote from: big E on March 30, 2017, 08:46:57 pm
McClellan,  Watson, Carroll Wilson from Augusta. Lonnie Sutton Mountain pine.. Philips from Jessiville  But don't forget Jon Watson had a real good run at Gillette before he went to Bauxite. And one of my favorites of all time James Wright. Finished at Hughes coached at Rison,that man could coach that single wing.

Note: James Wright was the coach of the 1970 Rison Wildcats state championship team.

MR#1

This is slightly off topic, but a related comment. One of the things that has always impressed me about Rison's 8 state championships is that they were won under 6 different head coaches.

Lions84

Lonnie Sutton was an assistant for Pappa Frank on Barton's first state title in 1978. They beat Beebe for the state title and the big sign they had said Ain't no Beebe gonna stop NO BEAR!

Lions84

Can't forget the Monroe County Legends  Buddy Harding at Clarendon and his mentor Sonny Gordon at Holly Grove. In the 50's and 60's they ruled Eastern Arkansas Football. 

coach5502

How about Cox from Fordyce, Jackson from Prescott and Seagrest/Laird from Nashville along with Carpenter at Junction all in the old 7AA together in the '90's.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: coach5502 on April 07, 2017, 08:18:42 am
How about Cox from Fordyce, Jackson from Prescott and Seagrest/Laird from Nashville along with Carpenter at Junction all in the old 7AA together in the '90's.

Because the AA in the 90s is the equivalent of the AAA and AAAA today.    Look at the schools you mentioned.   

big E

Quote from: Danvillegrad77 on March 31, 2017, 12:40:31 pm
i remeber that paddle well
Quote from: MR#1 on April 02, 2017, 03:01:26 pm
Note: James Wright was the coach of the 1970 Rison Wildcats state championship team.
He told me a story one time about when he was at Fouke.  They got warmup T-shirts that said Fouke -U. Said that stirred up a little noise in the land of the fouke monster . Old jodus was a nut.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

John Rollins at des arc in the 70'state state title '76, runner up '75

FD4

Pick, we both know if your going there you gotta mention Carol Wilson Augusta and Joe Hart McCrory

THA TRUTH

It goes McClellan carpenter totty... the rest are just add ons

FootballFever

Don't forget about the General Don Campbell all those years at Corning!!!  in my opinion the best coach of all time in all classifications!!!

idakid

Coach Mike White.... Look what he's done to not only the football team but to the town and the community. Great leadership, great Coach, great Guy. Not saying he's the best coach of all time as of right now, but when he's done at Ida, he will go down as one of the best!!!!!

MR#1

Lumberjackfan1978

McClellan was the best no question no comparison

MagicMike

Quote from: THA TRUTH on May 01, 2017, 12:01:52 pm
It goes McClellan carpenter totty... the rest are just add ons

Totty? How old are you? He's probably not even the best coach in Rison history.

Backwoods Bart

Quote from: MagicMike on July 02, 2017, 12:06:00 am
Totty? How old are you? He's probably not even the best coach in Rison history.

Red Parker @ Fordyce, who went on to HC Clemson. Danny Ford took his team the next year (after he left) and won a NC has to be up there at the top.

MR#1

Quote from: Backwoods Bart on July 02, 2017, 09:03:53 am
Red Parker @ Fordyce, who went on to HC Clemson. Danny Ford took his team the next year (after he left) and won a NC has to be up there at the top.

Red Parker @ Rison in 1995 won the State Championship --- great coach.

Lions84

green-eagle

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on April 13, 2017, 11:02:32 pm
John Rollins at des arc in the 70'state state title '76, runner up '75

Papa Frank- Barton.... also Frank was several Class "B" titles prior to Barton moving up to Class "A"
Carpenter- JC but coached in Clarendon
John Rollins......State Titles 1966, 1976 runner-up in -75... Lonnie Sutton played for that 1966 team... NFL'er Cliff Harrison (Dallas) also played on that team, Tommy Harrison (drafted by Denver)
...John Rollins ran the spread while other teams was running the wishbone.. in those 1974, 1975 and 1976 years..,  Des Arc record was some  36-4-1 during that time. (tie was to Barton 12-12 at Barton)
Hart- McCory... no state title...but had some "great Teams during the early to mid 70s.
What about Shoemaker (Harding Academy)?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: green-eagle on July 07, 2017, 09:55:17 am
Papa Frank- Barton.... also Frank was several Class "B" titles prior to Barton moving up to Class "A"
Carpenter- JC but coached in Clarendon
John Rollins......State Titles 1966, 1976 runner-up in -75... Lonnie Sutton played for that 1966 team... NFL'er Cliff Harrison (Dallas) also played on that team, Tommy Harrison (drafted by Denver)
...John Rollins ran the spread while other teams was running the wishbone.. in those 1974, 1975 and 1976 years..,  Des Arc record was some  36-4-1 during that time. (tie was to Barton 12-12 at Barton)
Hart- McCory... no state title...but had some "great Teams during the early to mid 70s.
What about Shoemaker (Harding Academy)?

Gus malzahn with his teams at hughes and Shiloh in the 90's...

bearbacker52

lots of greats mentioned here, i would add red parker, an eldred rogers.

bleudog

http://junctioncity.k12.ar.us/uploads/pdf/2016-2017/Carpenter%20Retirement%20(2016).pdf

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas