• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big One: North Little Rock vs. Bentonville

Started by NLR4Eva, March 10, 2015, 10:46:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urban legend2

Wouldn't go that far, he's just a junior and his best days are ahead of him. Just ran into a team with a player that's just as good. Can't necessarily put this one on Monk.

businesstron

March 14, 2015, 01:04:39 pm #51 Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:42:29 pm by businesstron
Quote from: vtowneagles on March 14, 2015, 12:34:42 pm
Monk will be the new Barkly meaning he will never be able to win the big one

I don't know how good Cedar Ridge was so I can't speak too much on that game.... I would've figured EPC would've been the favorite going into that game and they should've won that one.    Last year there was no way Bentonville was going to beat NLR.  They just had too many weapons and Bentonville in comparison didn't have enough.  They relied too much on him and in the 7a tournament last year it showed.....his efficiency was waay down. 

This year was his best chance so far and the game was pretty close.  I think he'll win it next year.   Fayetteville will be good next year but really that might be it.   NLR is gonna be down and theres no other really good teams in the Central and east....maybr Bryant.    But if he improves next year the way improved from this year to last year Bentonville will take the 7a crown...easily in 2016.

Cabotred

Very entertaining game. Hats off to both teams!

MM and Allen did not disappoint 25 and 28 pts respectively . Ben Smith made a statement today, 22 pts.   Where did he come from? The boy was on fire! KJ was hot and cold, but put up 19 pts. Moore had double double with 10 pts and 10 rebs (difference maker).

NLR  double teamed MM every time he had the ball, which limited his scoring and wore him down. That was best coaching move of day. That did allow for Ben Smith to step his game up.

Was number 15 for BV sick?  I sat behind their bench and when he came out the would put a bucket between his legs like he was having stomach problems.

Congrats to NLR for 2015 title........

RetiredBB

I believe MM already won a title at EPC a couple years ago.

Ctucker

No he did not runner up to ceder ridge when he was a ninth grader.

Hoggy

Malik Monk is the most talented player this state has ever seen.  You guys that are arguing about some 9th grade b.s. Get a clue. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: businesstron on March 14, 2015, 01:04:39 pm

I don't know how good Cedar Ridge was so I can't speak too much on that game.... I would've figured EPC would've been the favorite going into that game and they should've won that one.    Last year there was no way Bentonville was going to beat NLR.  They just had too many weapons and Bentonville in comparison didn't have enough.  They relied too much on him and in the 7a tournament last year it showed.....his efficiency was waay down. 

This year was his best chance so far and the game was pretty close.  I think he'll win it next year.   Fayetteville will be good next year but really that might be it.   NLR is gonna be down and theres no other really good teams in the Central and east....maybr Bryant.    But if he improves next year the way improved from this year to last year Bentonville will take the 7a crown...easily in 2016.

I was at the cedar-epc game, cedar was legit. They repeated the next year.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: urban legend2 on March 14, 2015, 12:47:50 pm
Wouldn't go that far, he's just a junior and his best days are ahead of him. Just ran into a team with a player that's just as good. Can't necessarily put this one on Monk.

He ran into a better "team"  Monk is the best player in the state. Top 5 in the country. He just doesn't have the supporting class that Allen does.

WPWells

With NLR's senior class gone, I'd be shocked if Bentonville doesn't win it all next year

Head Lion

gojackets14

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on March 14, 2015, 09:04:05 pm
With NLR's senior class gone, I'd be shocked if Bentonville doesn't win it all next year

Fayetteville will give them a run for their money. Fayetteville only loses O'Grady.

urban legend2

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 14, 2015, 08:39:18 pm

He ran into a better "team"  Monk is the best player in the state. Top 5 in the country. He just doesn't have the supporting class that Allen does.
Agreed with the better team, but there's a reason why Allen was coveted by a lot of big-time D-I schools. When you have a player that's of the same caliber as Monk, the team tends to raise their level of play. Kevaughn can hold his own against anyone in the country, the kid's proven that. Yes, Malik is the top player in the state no doubt. But Allen's no slouch and he showed people as much today.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: urban legend2 on March 14, 2015, 11:12:39 pm

Agreed with the better team, but there's a reason why Allen was coveted by a lot of big-time D-I schools. When you have a player that's of the same caliber as Monk, the team tends to raise their level of play. Kevaughn can hold his own against anyone in the country, the kid's proven that. Yes, Malik is the top player in the state no doubt. But Allen's no slouch and he showed people as much today.

I agree with that assessment of k.a. too, or else pelphrey wouldn't have been in attendance today. But as for the teams, isn't there 2-3 more college prospects on N.L.R. and what MAYBE 1 on b-ville? I like that N.L.R. team, they are complete.

bbfan89

There will be no way that Bentonville will even make state next year. If you looked at a program, you may have noticed that most of Malik's supporting cast will graduate this year. One man does not a team make! Oh and by the way BHS may be in for a VERY big surprise in the coming weeks...watch the papers.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 14, 2015, 11:37:06 pm
There will be no way that Bentonville will even make state next year. If you looked at a program, you may have noticed that most of Malik's supporting cast will graduate this year. One man does not a team make! Oh and by the way BHS may be in for a VERY big surprise in the coming weeks...watch the papers.

I've heard the rumor he wants to graduate with his old friends.

businesstron

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 14, 2015, 11:23:57 pm

I agree with that assessment of k.a. too, or else pelphrey wouldn't have been in attendance today. But as for the teams, isn't there 2-3 more college prospects on N.L.R. and what MAYBE 1 on b-ville? I like that N.L.R. team, they are complete.

NLR has KJ Hill, Sam Dunkem, Adrian Moore.   Bentonville has Tyler Robinson and Ben Smith.   Hemphill might develop into something down the road as well.   NLR players are major D1 recruits (except for Dunkem)  while Bentonville are Mid Major caliber and below. 

Cabotred

Quote from: businesstron on March 14, 2015, 11:45:06 pm
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 14, 2015, 11:23:57 pm

NLR has KJ Hill, Sam Dunkem, Adrian Moore.   Bentonville has Tyler Robinson and Ben Smith.   Hemphill might develop into something down the road as well.   NLR players are major D1 recruits (except for Dunkem)  while Bentonville are Mid Major caliber and below.

Hill and Dunkum are both seniors.

TigerHawg

Quote from: AirWarren on March 14, 2015, 12:31:01 pm
Way to go central Arkansas! Try again nwa!

We will. Next year. Good luck sore winner :)

bdubyab60

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 14, 2015, 08:37:29 pm
Quote from: businesstron on March 14, 2015, 01:04:39 pm

Monk was not the reason EPC lost that year for sure. Reeves made some huge plays down the stretch and Hill went to the senior down the stretch. Monk made big play after big play in that game. But I dont think he touched the ball in the last 2 minutes of the game.

I was at the cedar-epc game, cedar was legit. They repeated the next year.

vtowneagles

So what yall are telling me is that monk doesn't make the players around him better? Interesting..!

Marblehog

Quote from: vtowneagles on March 16, 2015, 11:05:43 am
So what yall are telling me is that monk doesn't make the players around him better? Interesting..!
um no get a clue.  Bentonville doesn't make state tourney without Monk.  If he left they might not win a conference game next year.  Monks the best this state has ever seen.  Mark it down

bdubyab60

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 16, 2015, 02:04:08 pm
Where was Bentonville before he arrived?

Same place they'll be after he leaves......

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2015, 02:54:58 pm

Same place they'll be after he leaves......
Not qualifying for the state tourney more than likley/

vtowneagles

It would be tough to say that monk was the best player to come out of Arkansas if he doesn't win a state championship! He will be the most talented but being the most talented doesn't always mean the best player! Monk has been to two state championships and a semifinal and has come up short every time! Losing by 13 points last year! Not only has he not won a state championship but has been outperformed by Allan every single time! 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: vtowneagles on March 17, 2015, 09:21:58 am
It would be tough to say that monk was the best player to come out of Arkansas if he doesn't win a state championship! He will be the most talented but being the most talented doesn't always mean the best player! Monk has been to two state championships and a semifinal and has come up short every time! Losing by 13 points last year! Not only has he not won a state championship but has been outperformed by Allan every single time!

Would Allan be able to lead Bentonville to a title? It would be different on Monk, if he wasn't getting the national attention he is. Has Arkansas ever produced a top 3 high school player nationally?

vtowneagles

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 17, 2015, 09:55:06 am

Would Allan be able to lead Bentonville to a title? It would be different on Monk, if he wasn't getting the national attention he is. Has Arkansas ever produced a top 3 high school player nationally?

Would you say Lebron is better than Jordan? Even though Jordan has more rings and just as good of stats?

Pick_DA_EAGLES

March 17, 2015, 11:15:57 am #77 Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:17:58 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: vtowneagles on March 17, 2015, 10:37:20 am
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 17, 2015, 09:55:06 am

Would you say Lebron is better than Jordan? Even though Jordan has more rings and just as good of stats?

No, I sure wouldn't. Give me Jordan in his prime any day over LeBron. Not even close to me.

For the record, those were honest questions, wasn't trying to start any crap. But I don't think Allen is quiet as good as Monk, although I wish both would be HOGS.

vtowneagles

It's a similar situation between monk and Allan and Jordan and Lebron! Allan and Jordan played on better teams and won championships! Monk and Lebron (in his early years at Cleveland) played on bad teams and didn't win championships! Monk and Allan have similar stats and Jordan and Lebron have similar stats but you take monk and Jordan over Allan and Lebron? Why? Is it because they pass your "eye test"? (Eye tests have nothing to do with in game stats) we are talking about in game stats and Allan has similar stats to monk but more championships! Jordan has similar stats to Lebron but more championships! The "best players" win the big game! Monk has more talent therefor is recurited more highly! But when talking about being the best PLAYER in the state you gotta look at stats! Monk also has more upside!   

zebradynasty

Not sure if I am ready to label Monk as the greatest player to ever come out of Arkansas but I don't think winning state championships was his goal when he transferred to Bentonville.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: vtowneagles on March 17, 2015, 11:40:08 am
It's a similar situation between monk and Allan and Jordan and Lebron! Allan and Jordan played on better teams and won championships! Monk and Lebron (in his early years at Cleveland) played on bad teams and didn't win championships! Monk and Allan have similar stats and Jordan and Lebron have similar stats but you take monk and Jordan over Allan and Lebron? Why? Is it because they pass your "eye test"? (Eye tests have nothing to do with in game stats) we are talking about in game stats and Allan has similar stats to monk but more championships! Jordan has similar stats to Lebron but more championships! The "best players" win the big game! Monk has more talent therefor is recurited more highly! But when talking about being the best PLAYER in the state you gotta look at stats! Monk also has more upside!

I take Jordan over LeBron because the game was better back then. The competition was A LOT tougher. I say the team Allen plays on is hands down better than Bentonville, would n.l.r. make the playoffs without Allen, most likely, would Bentonville make the playoffs without Monk, highly unlikely.

Marblehog

Vote eagles you are a fool or you just haven't seen both play.  It's not even close man.  Monk will be in the NBA after one year of college ball and Allen will play all four years then might make it.  Seriously man get a clue.  You notice how Jordan couldn't win a title without great players around him?  Allen has great h.s. Players around him and Monk does not.  Allen is great but Monk is in a total different league.  Also there is a big difference in a junior in h.s and a senior.  HUGE difference

Marblehog

Tom Brady couldn't win a title in high school.  Best player of all time.  Did Jordan even win a state title?  He'll he didn't even make the team one year?  Go get a clue somewhere please

Cabotred

Comparing Jordan and Lebron to Monk and Allen is apples and oranges. Jordan and Lebron played in differnt times, Monk and Allen are playing at same time. Jordan and Lebron are both superstars of their generation, while Mink and Allen are both competing for the title against each other. Now that Allen's high school career is over we can look at his accomplishments, number, etc.  I don't know how his and Monks stats compare against each other but Allen can hang his hat on two state championships (3 if you consider the vacated one)' while at best Monk will have one.  Considering that Allen is a more accomplished player.  Who is the best? I don't know.  I would like to have both on my team. Both are great player, but Allen is more accomplished because of program he played in and the team mates he he around him.

Only time will tell who has best collegiate and professional careers.  If I was a betting man it would be Monk.  But ask me right now who has had the best high school career it would be Allen. 

Marblehog

Barry Lundy won state and Corliss never did so I guess he's the better player with that logic.  Dumbest stuff I've read in a while.  Mitch Mustains awful but couldn't lose in high school.   Ole Ken Biley won state though baby!

vtowneagles

Best players in Arkansas highschool history! What happens after highschool means nothing!

mack

Quote from: Marblehog on March 17, 2015, 12:34:20 pm
Vote eagles you are a fool or you just haven't seen both play.  It's not even close man.  Monk will be in the NBA after one year of college ball and Allen will play all four years then might make it.  Seriously man get a clue.  You notice how Jordan couldn't win a title without great players around him?  Allen has great h.s. Players around him and Monk does not.  Allen is great but Monk is in a total different league.  Also there is a big difference in a junior in h.s and a senior.  HUGE difference

Whew,,, that's a mouth full......

Not even close, not in the same league?  You lack credibility on those types of statements.

urban legend2

bdubyab60

No matter how good you are you still have to have help. It is a team sprt after all. I think Monk has done everything he can for Bentonville. Hes at least made them relevant. He plays just about every minute of every meaningful game Bentonville plays. Sure Allen has the trophies but Monk is the better player IMO.

And just for kicks Jordan is better than Lebron not because of the titles and not because of the numbers. Jordan was just a better player. Lebron is the better athlete though.

businesstron

Both are good player.  If I was starting a team I'd probably pick Monk though.   I've seen a few Kevaugn Allen games a year since he was a sophomore and I didn't see a bunch of improvement from him from his Sophomore year to now.  I probably didn't see it because he had such a good team around him and also his game was already pretty polished as a sophomore.  His basketball intelligence has improved a bunch. 

Now Monk I thought he improved ALOT from his sophomore to his junior year.  His shot selection is better.  He also spread the ball around ALOT more this year.  Allen has Athleticism but Monk has freaky NBA level athleticism and he's still growing.     I think what Marblehog says makes some sense. 

It's a good chance Monk will be a one and done player in college before he jumps to the NBA. 

Allen will be a good player where ever he goes in college but I think he stays all 4 years. 

All of that year doesnt matter as far as high school goes because it's Allen 2  Monk 0 as far as head to head goes..

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 17, 2015, 05:26:27 pm
No matter how good you are you still have to have help. It is a team sprt after all. I think Monk has done everything he can for Bentonville. Hes at least made them relevant. He plays just about every minute of every meaningful game Bentonville plays. Sure Allen has the trophies but Monk is the better player IMO.

And just for kicks Jordan is better than Lebron not because of the titles and not because of the numbers. Jordan was just a better player. Lebron is the better athlete though.

I think both Jordan and LeBron would both be good receivers.

Allen is definitely the best Sr in this class, or else he wouldn't have gotten a scholarship to Florida, but I think Monk is better with more up side.

Ctucker

I will say this if he goes back to EPC he will get a state title, with what they have coming back plus monk.I don't think they would even loose a game.

mack

I love Monk.  Hope he's a Hog.  Still, I'll bet anyone on here a steak dinner he won't be a one and done. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: mack on March 17, 2015, 09:04:31 pm

I love Monk.  Hope he's a Hog.  Still, I'll bet anyone on here a steak dinner he won't be a one and done.

Curious as to why you think that?

bdubyab60

If he's a Hog and he's stays longer I'm fine with it. Anywhere else I hope it's only one year we face him.

mack

He's a guard
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 17, 2015, 09:06:59 pm

Like most on here, I've watched him when I could since his EPC days.  He's improved some each year, but not as much in two areas.
I think the weakest part of his game is ball handling.  Next it's probably his strength.  He can improve both, but I don't think he'll do it soon enough to be a 1 and done.  There is a big difference in 1 and done and a 2 and done.  Bobby Portis should be a 3 and done.

SouthpawSensation

They went to the state semifinals the last year without Monk — the same place the Tigers went the first year with him. Bentonville almost forced OT against Fayetteville in that game.

vtowneagles

Will monk be better than pippen? As far as stats and achievements go!

Idoknow

Quote from: vtowneagles on March 18, 2015, 01:19:13 pm
Will monk be better than pippen? As far as stats and achievements go!
If you're talking about the NBA, No.1 Monk has to get there first and No.2 "No"!

Marblehog

Quote from: mack on March 18, 2015, 08:37:06 am
He's a guard
Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 17, 2015, 09:06:59 pm

Like most on here, I've watched him when I could since his EPC days.  He's improved some each year, but not as much in two areas.
I think the weakest part of his game is ball handling.  Next it's probably his strength.  He can improve both, but I don't think he'll do it soon enough to be a 1 and done.  There is a big difference in 1 and done and a 2 and done.  Bobby Portis should be a 3 and done.
lol are you kidding me.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas