• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fort Smith Northside Tevin Brewer

Started by GrizzlyRider07, February 12, 2015, 12:53:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

My goodness this kid is going to be something special! A 5'6 sophomore that is so quick and smooth with the ball. This kid is as tough as nails and isn't afraid to go to the basket against all the trees. And what's scary I'd if this kid was at least 5'10 he'd probably already have offers from every school in the country. Hopefully he can hit a little growth spurt soon. Mark my words though this kid will be the best in the state by his senior year and 2nd best next year only behind malik. This kid is something special!

jking7

2nd behind Malik Monk? Did you forget about Mitchell Smith at Van Buren?

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: jking7 on February 12, 2015, 06:58:46 am
Nope I didn't forget about him at all. Just remember this next season and remember that I said this. I've seen them both play so I'm not just going off one performance.

Grizzlyfan

They do different things, obviously, but I would have to agree with the OP.  Unless Mitchell game turns up his game.  He's a solid player but he should be able to take over a game and at this point he doesn't.  Except against Alma.

jking7

I think Smith has taken over other games besides Alma I do agree he could score a bit more consistent. But I did not ask to be a jerk or anything I really was just wondering I've only seen Northside play once this season.. But I'm going to try and make it over for at least one more game. Good luck on the rest of the season!

Razorback Red

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 12, 2015, 12:53:17 am
My goodness this kid is going to be something special! A 5'6 sophomore that is so quick and smooth with the ball. This kid is as tough as nails and isn't afraid to go to the basket against all the trees. And what's scary I'd if this kid was at least 5'10 he'd probably already have offers from every school in the country. Hopefully he can hit a little growth spurt soon. Mark my words though this kid will be the best in the state by his senior year and 2nd best next year only behind malik. This kid is something special!

He's a nice player, but i'm not sure I would put him at this level yet.  He dribbles too much IMO and taking the ball inside doesn't work at the next level when you are undersized.  Personally, I would much rather have P Willis at Fville running point.  From what i've seen, he is more of a complete player. 

A-Good-One

Tevin's talent is as good as any except the two studs - KeVaughn and Malik. Problem is, though, like you said, he's only 5'6". Gonna have to grow to get any big-time college offers. Heck, he'll have to grow just to take his HS game to the next stage.

businesstron

At this level he's the second best player in the Conference behind Malik.   If you project him to the next level he's behind Malik, Payton and Chris....alot of that has to only do with his size though.   He probably won't play be playing for a big time school at the next level due to his size but he'll go somewhere.   I think he one of the best distributors of the ball in the conference. 

Cabotred

What are his stats for the years so far?

Razorback Red

Quote from: businesstron on February 14, 2015, 06:00:59 pm
At this level he's the second best player in the Conference behind Malik.   If you project him to the next level he's behind Malik, Payton and Chris....alot of that has to only do with his size though.   He probably won't play be playing for a big time school at the next level due to his size but he'll go somewhere.   I think he one of the best distributors of the ball in the conference.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brewer is a great player and very fun to watch.  I'm still not sure he can take a game over and I've seen PWillis take them over many times, like earlier in the year at Bentonville. 

A-Good-One

I've never seen either one of them take over a game. At least, not do what I'd qualify as "take over." They're both good, not great players.

GrizzlyRider07

Brewer is just a Sophomore need I remind you all. He's has plenty of time to develop his game which honestly is already at a high level. His height is really the only thing holding him back.  As for Peyton I've watched him play a few times and he didn't impress me at all he only scored like 7 points against Northside a few weeks ago when I was expecting him to dominate the game.

A-Good-One

With both Willis and Brewer it's all about projection. Willis' jumper is pretty. And his frame is buildable, would be easy for him to put on pounds. Guess that's why he has that MSU offer.

Also, Willis didn't have seven points against Northside. He had 17. A quiet 17, but still 17.

Hoophawg

It's simple guys.  Can he grow a beard?  If so he's done growing.  Like I told guys 4 years ago with Ty Storey that he wouldn't grow anymore.  Beard equals no more height.  Hopefully this kid doesn't have facial hair

ricepig

Quote from: Hoophawg on February 17, 2015, 08:37:40 am
It's simple guys.  Can he grow a beard?  If so he's done growing.  Like I told guys 4 years ago with Ty Storey that he wouldn't grow anymore.  Beard equals no more height.  Hopefully this kid doesn't have facial hair

So, you're saying at the mid 50's, I'm still growing??

Hoophawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 17, 2015, 08:55:34 am
Quote from: Hoophawg on February 17, 2015, 08:37:40 am

So, you're saying at the mid 50's, I'm still growing??
nope.  Probably shrinking.  And your height might not be the only thing...

businesstron

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 17, 2015, 12:43:30 am
Brewer is just a Sophomore need I remind you all. He's has plenty of time to develop his game which honestly is already at a high level. His height is really the only thing holding him back.  As for Peyton I've watched him play a few times and he didn't impress me at all he only scored like 7 points against Northside a few weeks ago when I was expecting him to dominate the game.

As a player I think he's further along then Peyton was at this point when he was a sophomore.  Last year I remember one game where Payton took over.  The first time they played Bentonville at Bentonville and Malik Monk had to make a last second 3 pointer to win it. I think that was the first time I saw him.  He was hitting some deep pull up 3s over in that game.  That atleast made me take notice.  He had other games last year where he  just didn't show up.   The other two times I saw him was against Springdale, once in the regular season and the other in the playoffs.  In one of those game he didn't even score until the 2nd half of the game.   

He's had some good nights this year.  The only dominant performance I can think of from him was when he scored 29 points against Harber in their first meeting last month.  The rest of Fayetteville's offense wasn't doing anything when he started heating up. 

During the last 6 or 7 games Brewer has only scored below 20 points once with his high being 26 points against Harber.  With all that he hasn't really had a point where he has had to take over a game.  Northside has a few good scoring options (Jones, Dorsey, and Patterson).  Against Heritage last week he was all over the place, getting steals and assists. 

businesstron

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 12, 2015, 09:31:10 am
They do different things, obviously, but I would have to agree with the OP.  Unless Mitchell game turns up his game.  He's a solid player but he should be able to take over a game and at this point he doesn't.  Except against Alma.

I disagree  I saw Mitchell Smith a couple of times last year (against Springdale and Northside) and once this year (against NLR) and on all of those he has taken over those on the offensive and defensive side. 

The thing that kept them in that Northside game last year was the fact that Northside couldn't get anything in the paint offensively because of Smith.  Once they heated up from the perimeter they were able to pull away. 

He had 29 point against NLR as well and they have a big 6'10 kids.  To me he's the most dominating player in the state outside of Monk. 

Hoophawg

A 6-10 has a lot more room to develop than 5-6.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: businesstron on February 18, 2015, 02:58:15 pm

I disagree  I saw Mitchell Smith a couple of times last year (against Springdale and Northside) and once this year (against NLR) and on all of those he has taken over those on the offensive and defensive side. 

The thing that kept them in that Northside game last year was the fact that Northside couldn't get anything in the paint offensively because of Smith.  Once they heated up from the perimeter they were able to pull away. 

He had 29 point against NLR as well and they have a big 6'10 kids.  To me he's the most dominating player in the state outside of Monk.
Well I guess my point is he's 6-10 and you named 3 games over 2 seasons.  I might be oversimplifying but it seems to me 6-10 in Arkansas high school basketball should be dominant.

businesstron

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 18, 2015, 04:52:25 pm
Quote from: businesstron on February 18, 2015, 02:58:15 pm

Well I guess my point is he's 6-10 and you named 3 games over 2 seasons.  I might be oversimplifying but it seems to me 6-10 in Arkansas high school basketball should be dominant.

What I'm saying is that he IS a dominant player.   Those 3 games are against high level competition,  some of the best in the state.  If he can't show up against them then it really doesn't matter what he does against bad teams.   He is the biggest difference between Van Buren being a contender versus them being a 5th or 6th seed in the 7a tournament.  He got that size but he moves better than alot of the 6'9 and up players I've seen this year. 

You are right though I've only seen 3 games.  What have you seen that would lead you to believe that he isn't a dominating player. 

A-Good-One

Grizzly, Mitchell Smith is a better player than Tevin Brewer. He's a better high school player. He's a better college recruit.

But Tevin Brewer is nassssty fun to watch. And in time will be an animal. He's just not there yet - and may not get there because of his height.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on February 20, 2015, 01:34:15 pm
Grizzly, Mitchell Smith is a better player than Tevin Brewer. He's a better high school player. He's a better college recruit.

But Tevin Brewer is nassssty fun to watch. And in time will be an animal. He's just not there yet - and may not get there because of his height.
Smith is 6-10 and Brewer is 5-9.  I would certainly hope that Mitchell Smith is a better basketball player.  Smith plays soft.  He would rather play outside the paint than in.  he would rather have dye take the shot than himself.  No rim rocking dunks from within the paint to speak of. 

Grizzlyfan

Put it another way.  Mitchell Smith needs to play with the passion and aggression of Patterson from Northside.

A-Good-One

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 20, 2015, 03:24:40 pm
Smith is 6-10 and Brewer is 5-9.  I would certainly hope that Mitchell Smith is a better basketball player.  Smith plays soft.  He would rather play outside the paint than in.  he would rather have dye take the shot than himself.  No rim rocking dunks from within the paint to speak of.

Well, then you're disagreeing with the person who made the first post on this topic then. Which is fine. But I'm not sure what else to say about that other than you clearly haven't seen Smith play very often. Or Loyd coach. If you want Smith to do something in the open-court you're going to have to hope he transfers, cause that ain't what Van Buren does. Ever.

GrizzlyRider07

Some of you guys harp on Brewers height and I too think that's a liability at times but then I think about a specific player that plays in the SEC named Stephon Moody for Ole Miss. The guy is 5'9 but plays a lot bigger. Brewer honestly reminds me alot like him. Very mean and aggressive also not afraid to take it inside or pull up on anyone. The plus with him and why I'm pretty high on him is because he's just a Sophomore with the rest of this year along with two more years to get better.  The other guys we are talking about all have a year or more on him. Monk is monk and is on another level, Smith i think with him being 6'10 he should be more dominant and aggressive but haven't seen that in him. With Peyton Willis, if you wanna be elite you can be that inconsistent.  You can show up for one game and then disappear for 4 games. But these are just my opinions

A-Good-One

I think Tevin Brewer will be a better high school player than P-Willis, absolutely.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Dr Chim Ritchalds on February 20, 2015, 06:49:57 pm
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 20, 2015, 03:24:40 pm

Well, then you're disagreeing with the person who made the first post on this topic then. Which is fine. But I'm not sure what else to say about that other than you clearly haven't seen Smith play very often. Or Loyd coach. If you want Smith to do something in the open-court you're going to have to hope he transfers, cause that ain't what Van Buren does. Ever.
For me the discussion changed from comparing Smith to Brewer to whether Smith was a "dominant" player.  Maybe "dominant" is in the eye of the beholder.

Grizzlyfan

I know Rogers isn't very good, but look at Brewer from Saturday night.  He didn't play most of the first quarter because of Senior Night.  But by halftime he was the leading scorer for both teams playing just over 1 quarter and sparked the big Northside 2nd quarter run.  The kid can get to the basket and dish as well as anybody I've seen.

A-Good-One

I'm not sure anyone is disagreeing with you that Tevin Brewer is an animal.

businesstron

February 23, 2015, 11:49:30 am #30 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:16:49 pm by businesstron
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 23, 2015, 09:27:27 am
I know Rogers isn't very good, but look at Brewer from Saturday night.  He didn't play most of the first quarter because of Senior Night.  But by halftime he was the leading scorer for both teams playing just over 1 quarter and sparked the big Northside 2nd quarter run.  The kid can get to the basket and dish as well as anybody I've seen.

He's good as a matter of fact I'm a Northside fan if anything but he struggled against Gause from Springdale Friday night.   Gause (18 points) made him work on both ends of the floor.  He was hitting mid range jumpers and Brewer had problems just getting a shot off all night.  Brewer had 10 points but most of that was from the free throw line.   It is kind of throwing shade but he'll improve from it.  I remember when Monk went against Springdale last year and he was unable to do much because Springdale made him work on both ends.    I still think he's 2nd best player in the 7a west though.    But over all in the 7a maybe the 4th of 5th best behind Monk, Allen, and Smith this year. 

It's good he rebounded against Rogers.   Well see how it plays out against Harber Tuesday. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas