• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching styles

Started by Nip/Tusk, February 06, 2016, 09:19:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

left field

Everyone has an opinion and that is one reason we have message boards such as this one.  I think some girls and parents have had a positive experience with this coach and others have not.  Some fans enjoy watching the show during a game and others think he is disrespectful towards the girls.  To each their own!

Tigergirl

Quote from: left field on February 18, 2016, 10:48:45 am
Everyone has an opinion and that is one reason we have message boards such as this one.  I think some girls and parents have had a positive experience with this coach and others have not.  Some fans enjoy watching the show during a game and others think he is disrespectful towards the girls.  To each their own!

I guarantee these people who have negative things to say about him, haven't actually had an encounter with him. Check your facts before you start talking trash on a person. Especially one as high class as he is.

Gray lizard

Who would of thought.  Message boards are just for information.  Seems to me they are for poking and general messing with others under a hidden name.
I do not know this coach, but it has made for some good reading. I think I know this type of coach.  He is either loved or hated depending on how their child responded to his coaching most likely.

Tigergirl

Quote from: Obytheway on February 12, 2016, 10:36:20 am
There is a coach right now, (I will not say names) that I would never let my child play for.  I'm sure we are all talking about the same one.  I have no problem with a coach being hard on girls.  I have no problem with a coach getting on a girl if a mistake is made.  And I would have no problem with a coach giving instruction with a coaching tone.  BUT, when you have to scream 2 inches from their face so hard that the coaches face is red and the veins popping out, and with the young lady crying in front of 5- 600 people, then it has gone to far. 
I ask a serious question.  Would this be acceptable at your work place, or even if you walked by a very LARGE man doing this in a store or parking lot to a young lady who is seriously 1/3 his weight or size.  I can guarantee you the police would be called.  But when it happens on school property, and since he wins games you turn your head and justify it?  The people I know in that town are really good people and I am shocked they have let it go this long.  Is it because of the win?  I have a friend I know very well who lives in that town, and earlier this year made a good point to me.  He said, he bets he don't talk to his wife and kids the way he does his players, and if he talked to the superintendent or other administrations wives that way he would be gone, but they allow him to talk to young ladies that way?

I do want to call out Obytheway though because I think he made some irrelevant points. No, if a grown man was yelling at ANYONE at his workplace, that would probably not be acceptable. Police probably wouldn't be called just for yelling though. But when you are a coach, its a little bit different. Yelling is kind of allowed. Its a bit different if someone is yelling at another person at the store, or at their office, but when you are a coach, that's a part of the job. What is he supposed to do? Baby them? Talk to them like they are 5 year old children and let them do whatever they please? Lets talk about football. How many football coaches do you know that yell during the games? Is that frowned upon? Or is it okay because they are yelling at boys and not girls? I don't understand your point, Obytheway. It's funny to me that you even brought it up. I'm sure he doesn't talk to his wife that way either, but again, that's a different situation. he's not his wife's basketball coach. Your point is pretty ridiculous. I've never seen this man get out of line or lost control to where he disrespects his players. If he didn't disrespect you, what's your issue?

TigerTime

It was pretty obvious that some were talking about Coach Froud and maybe others were not. Either way a good coach will have a deep passion for his team, boys or girls. If they do not Have that passion I would not want my child playing for them. Coaches with a passion like Froud teach the girls much more than basketball. They teach them about life. How life is not always fair..life can be tough..never give up. His girls will excel in real life experiences, and yes basketball and Froud have had a part in that! Thank you Coach Froud and all other coaches with that kind of passion. We need more of you! By the way I am not any relation to Coach Froud.

RazorPigs24

I'm not a tiger fan at all (Go Cards!), but I have heard that favoritism plays a big role in the way he talks to the girls.  And from what I've seen personally, I would say that some players are let off the hook or apologized to, while others are treated a little different.  I'm sure he is a good guy outside of coaching, but in the end, his players are children.

Bulldog92

Hearing things from kids that don't get a lot of playing  time or their parents doesn't count!!  They are the first ones that start talking about favoritism!!! 
You are correct though in that the ones he is coaching are kids but they have the right and the ability to turn in their equipment if THEY don't want to play for him.  So for everyone that is not from this fantasy school and playing for this hypothetical coach, do you not think that the kids playing on this team knew the coach and their style of coaching before they tried out??  So in other words the kids that are on the team want to be on the team and apparently yours is not so you don't have anything to worry about to begin with. This is a topic that can go on and on and on and on.......

RazorPigs24

When his players start playing for him, I'm sure they don't think they are going to be unfairly treated because they aren't a favorite.  No one goes into a sport thinking they aren't going to be liked by the coach.  Also, the girls I have seen him treat unfairly are starters and get plenty of playing time.

And why should a child be forced to quit a game she loves because of a coach?  That just doesn't make sense.  It's not always as easy as quitting because you don't like a coach.  There is way more that goes into it.

Tigergirl

Quote from: RazorPigs24 on February 19, 2016, 11:01:18 am
When his players start playing for him, I'm sure they don't think they are going to be unfairly treated because they aren't a favorite.  No one goes into a sport thinking they aren't going to be liked by the coach.  Also, the girls I have seen him treat unfairly are starters and get plenty of playing time.

And why should a child be forced to quit a game she loves because of a coach?  That just doesn't make sense.  It's not always as easy as quitting because you don't like a coach.  There is way more that goes into it.

Oh, please. you don't see him treat anyone unfairly.

beach bum

February 19, 2016, 11:55:33 am #59 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:14:46 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Tigergirl on February 19, 2016, 11:33:24 am
Oh, please. you don't see him treat anyone unfairly.

When people see some years there are less than 10 girls on a 4A roster that is a joke to me. You know why that is. Its because if you aren't going to get significant minutes they end up quitting or a smart parent says no way or you dealing with that because why would you deal with that type of coaching. A good coach and person treats the scout team player the same as a superstar and wants them to be apart of the success just as much. A good coach wants the last person on the bench to feel as though they were apart of the championship as the 20 ppg scorer. There is where people have a problem with that coaching style. This is HIGH SCHOOL. It is an embarrassment when a 4A roster has as little players on occasion as PG has had. Please explain why else there would be that little of players unless the "dead weight" is being ran off. Thats the way some people see it. You know as well as anyone if his record was .500 it wouldn't be tolerated if that little participation was happening as some of his years. If the boys team only had 9 players come out or the football team only had only 25 kids at one of the larger 4A schools for his season school board would be all over the situation wondering what is going on. That is a fact. You can rip this post all you want but its a joke when that little participation happens on occasion.

Tigergirl

Quote from: beach bum on February 19, 2016, 11:55:33 am
When people see some years there are less than 10 girls on a 4A roster that is a joke to me. You know why that is. Its because if you aren't going to get significant minutes they end up quitting because why would you deal with that type of coaching. A good coach and person treats the scout team player the same as a superstar and wants them to be apart of the success just as much. A good coach wants the last person on the bench to feel as though they were apart of the championship at the 20 ppg scorer. There is where people have a problem with that coaching style. This is HIGH SCHOOL. It is an embarrassment when a 4A roster has as little players on occasion as PG has had. Please explain why else there would be that little of players unless the "dead weight" is being ran off. Thats the way some people see it. You know as well as anyone if his record was .500 it wouldn't be tolerated if that little participation was happening as some of his years.

Your posts actually make me LOL, Beachbum. It's a joke that he only has a few girls that don't get a lot of playing time but its okay for the other teams who have 10 or more girls that don't get a lot of playing time? That makes no sense. Let me get this right... You're saying that that if you were a basketball coach (which you obviously are  not) you are going to give everyone the same amount of playing time, win or lose? Were you at the game the other night when he ran play after play after play to get one of his Seniors (who doesn't get a lot of playing time in varsity) a shot?? do you happen to know how many plays he ran for her? Isn't this the reason we have JV and Varsity games? so that everyone gets to play? Yeah, all the girls probably want to get to play in varsity but that's tough because it doesn't work that way. and I PROMISE you he treats the lowest skill level the same as the highest skill level.  This so called "Dead Weight" is being ran off because of what you just said... they don't want to RUN and put in the work....So you're absolutely right. It's being ran off, quite literally.  I'm so confused at your post and think that you are confused about sports. I'm not sure why you are even on this board and are commenting on something you clearly know nothing about.

beach bum

February 19, 2016, 12:22:07 pm #61 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:25:00 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Tigergirl on February 19, 2016, 12:16:47 pm
Your posts actually make me LOL, Beachbum. It's a joke that he only has a few girls that don't get a lot of playing time but its okay for the other teams who have 10 or more girls that don't get a lot of playing time? That makes no sense. Let me get this right... You're saying that that if you were a basketball coach (which you obviously are  not) you are going to give everyone the same amount of playing time, win or lose? Were you at the game the other night when he ran play after play after play to get one of his Seniors (who doesn't get a lot of playing time in varsity) a shot?? do you happen to know how many plays he ran for her? Isn't this the reason we have JV and Varsity games? so that everyone gets to play? Yeah, all the girls probably want to get to play in varsity but that's tough because it doesn't work that way. and I PROMISE you he treats the lowest skill level the same as the highest skill level.  This so called "Dead Weight" is being ran off because of what you just said... they don't want to RUN and put in the work....So you're absolutely right. It's being ran off, quite literally.  I'm so confused at your post and think that you are confused about sports. I'm not sure why you are even on this board and are commenting on something you clearly know nothing about.

You did not get my point at all.... no, You don't deserve to play just for being on the team. But yes they don't deserve to be ran off just because they can contribute to your wins in the W-L record. And again, yes it is a joke to have that little participation. Numbers don't lie. People obviously don't care for that coaching style with the participation rate. That doesn't lie. Again, when did I say you deserve to play in the game just for being on the team? I said you don't deserve to be ran off as "dead weight".... most people know that is what is happening. And you run from the fact that you know that the other programs would be questioned with that type of participation rate. Why is this situation different. Its because of winning and small town politics at play.

Tigergirl

Quote from: beach bum on February 19, 2016, 12:22:07 pm
You did not get my point at all.... no, You don't deserve to play just for being on the team. But yes they don't deserve to be ran off just because they can contribute to your wins in the W-L record. And again, yes it is a joke to have that little participation. Numbers don't lie. People obviously don't care for that coaching style with the participation rate. That doesn't lie. Again, when did I say you deserve to play in the game? I said you don't deserve to be ran off as "dead weight".... most people know that is what is happening.

You're not getting my point at all. If people "obviously" don't like that coaching style, then why has he been there for 12 years?

Bulldog92

Now I know why things are like they are now!! 
1. Kids and parents know exactly what and how the coach and program are like BEFORE they decide to join the team. Unless the coach has been there less than three years, that amount of time gives everyone a chance to see kids come up through the program.
2. If you have made the decision to join said program and its not what YOU AS A PLAYER thought it would be you can either toughen up and play or turn your stuff in.
3. Coaches are paid to teach kids how to play, how to compete and how to WIN as a team. If the coach is losing he/she loses their job. So a coach is not going to risk their families lively hood over your sweetie pie getting playing time and the TEAM losing!!
4. Having a lot of kids on a team doesn't solve anything. A team with to many kids just makes it harder on a coach for proper instruction time and most of the kids won't even get any practice time much less playing time!! The school board could give a flip if a program only has a certain number of kids on the bench or sideline because their constituents want their kids to be able to participate!! The only reason a school board is concerned is if the program is failing!!! 
5. Most coaches are harder on their starters than they are their other girls because coaches expect MORE out of them!! The rest are role players and serve a purpose, most all players have been there!!
6. Most griping about coaches, such as this hypothetical one, come from people OUTSIDE the program. Either from kids/parents that turned their stuff in or from kids/parents from other programs who continually get beat by them!!

Parents need to quit blaming and making excuses for their kids. There are times in life when parents need to make a stand but griping about a coach that is pushing your little sweetie pie to do the best they can and be successful, WOW!!!!!   If the coach didn't care about the kid or expect nothing but the best from the kid he/she would be THROUGH with the kid, and 9 time out of 10 the kids they quit come from parents who want participation trophies instead Championship Trophies!!!
While the gripers on here are getting ready for softball/baseball this hypothetical coach we are discussing is preparing his/her team for the regional and state tournaments and I hope my little sweetie pies program is there as well.
That's all I got, see y'all on the regional and state tournament threads. Have a great rest of the season!!

TigerTime

Beach Bum you apparently do not know Coach Froud, and are apparently not a coach. All of the girls on Coach Frouds team are treated equally. Not in playing time, but as players. He loves his girls as if they were his own. If any girls feels as if they were run off it would be because they quit the coach, because he will not quit on them. No girl is turned away or run off. Coach Froud and his program are by no means an embarrassment to PG. You seem to only want to bash him no matter what anyone says. He is a great guy on and off the court. He has been here a long time so obviously they do like his coaching style. I am very proud of him and what he has done for our program. By the way are you from PG? I have never know small town politics to work in Prairie Grove, and I have been here a very long time.

TigerTime

February 19, 2016, 12:56:48 pm #65 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:28:14 pm by TigerTime
Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 19, 2016, 12:45:40 pm
Now I know why things are like they are now!! 
1. Kids and parents know exactly what and how the coach and program are like BEFORE they decide to join the team. Unless the coach has been there less than three years, that amount of time gives everyone a chance to see kids come up through the program.
2. If you have made the decision to join said program and its not what YOU AS A PLAYER thought it would be you can either toughen up and play or turn your stuff in.
3. Coaches are paid to teach kids how to play, how to compete and how to WIN as a team. If the coach is losing he/she loses their job. So a coach is not going to risk their families lively hood over your sweetie pie getting playing time and the TEAM losing!!
4. Having a lot of kids on a team doesn't solve anything. A team with to many kids just makes it harder on a coach for proper instruction time and most of the kids won't even get any practice time much less playing time!! The school board could give a flip if a program only has a certain number of kids on the bench or sideline because their constituents want their kids to be able to participate!! The only reason a school board is concerned is if the program is failing!!! 
5. Most coaches are harder on their starters than they are their other girls because coaches expect MORE out of them!! The rest are role players and serve a purpose, most all players have been there!!
6. Most griping about coaches, such as this hypothetical one, come from people OUTSIDE the program. Either from kids/parents that turned their stuff in or from kids/parents from other programs who continually get beat by them!!

Parents need to quit blaming and making excuses for their kids. There are times in life when parents need to make a stand but griping about a coach that is pushing your little sweetie pie to do the best they can and be successful, WOW!!!!!   If the coach didn't care about the kid or expect nothing but the best from the kid he/she would be THROUGH with the kid, and 9 time out of 10 the kids they quit come from parents who want participation trophies instead Championship Trophies!!!
While the gripers on here are getting ready for softball/baseball this hypothetical coach we are discussing is preparing his/her team for the regional and state tournaments and I hope my little sweetie pies program is there as well.
That's all I got, see y'all on the regional and state tournament threads. Have a great rest of the season!!

Well said!

Obytheway

February 19, 2016, 03:12:35 pm #66 Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:16:34 pm by Obytheway
I live in Gentry, and drive a truck so I don't see every game my son plays in.  I always try to plan around the PG games because I enjoy watching how well coached the PG team plays.  It sounds like you couple of young ladies had the experience of a life time playing for him, and we are happy for you, but how many didn't out of the 100 plus kids who has played for him.  Wins do not give you a pass to scream the way he does at the young ladies.  Screaming to the point that young ladies are bawling their eyes out is not coaching.  Especially in front of a packed house in any game.  Just because we don't live there doesn't mean we are blind and can't see and don't hear other people from PG talk.  I just think he could show his young ladies a little more respect during a game than that.  When you are watching them play and you can literally feel embarrassed for the you lady, it's sad.  That is really all this is about and that is just my opinion.   

Bulldog92, it is ridiculous for you to come on here and say "if you don't like it then don't play".  What are they to do? 

Bulldog92

I said I was done but, oh well, haha!!
Obythweway I guess I'm ridiculous but answering your question is simple, they don't play for the program. Being a high school basketball player is not for everyone and there are a lot of girls(parents) that can't deal with a coach like is being described coaching them or their kids!!  You noticed I said being a basketball player not playing on a basketball team, there is a big difference!!!  You don't change the way a successful coach coaches to please parents!!  If it was as bad as you say then he wouldn't be able to field a team, but he does EVERY year and a good one by the way!!! So tell your daughters  go play softball or be a cheerleader which both are athletic and absolutely nothing wrong with either one. Maybe those coaches don't yell and scream at the players.
By the way Obytheway, you proved my point. You have nothing to do with the program, you have a son not a girl!!  You are the type that does most of the complaining!!!  Those two lady's that are taking up for their coach are not alone but this is an argument that they can not win on a forum like this. Most of you complaining about this hypothetical coach never have played for a demanding coach or have had a kid that couldn't take the coaches style!!  It's a shame but on a public forum like this most of the people complaining about coaches not giving one fair playing time, treating people differently, and playing favorites were the ones that couldn't take it themselves!! 

Tigergirl

Quote from: Obytheway on February 19, 2016, 03:12:35 pm
I live in Gentry, and drive a truck so I don't see every game my son plays in.  I always try to plan around the PG games because I enjoy watching how well coached the PG team plays.  It sounds like you couple of young ladies had the experience of a life time playing for him, and we are happy for you, but how many didn't out of the 100 plus kids who has played for him.  Wins do not give you a pass to scream the way he does at the young ladies.  Screaming to the point that young ladies are bawling their eyes out is not coaching.  Especially in front of a packed house in any game.  Just because we don't live there doesn't mean we are blind and can't see and don't hear other people from PG talk.  I just think he could show his young ladies a little more respect during a game than that.  When you are watching them play and you can literally feel embarrassed for the you lady, it's sad.  That is really all this is about and that is just my opinion.   

Bulldog92, it is ridiculous for you to come on here and say "if you don't like it then don't play".  What are they to do?

You're clearly not a girl. Those young girls will cry at the drop of a hat for any reason! You don't know the relationship he has with them and the way things go down at practice or off the court. He in no way disrespects anyone. You however, are disrespectful. Is it your child that it's happening to? No. then you have no room to talk. The ladies on his team and the parents are the only ones that can open their mouths about this situation because they're the ones living it. You don't see any of them bashing him do you? Nope. there's a reason for that. Because he's not doing anything wrong. Those girls are coached so well in the game of basketball, but even more so in life all because of COACH FROUD. He is a brilliant coach and a an even better person off the court. You wouldn't know that though because all you want to do is try and bring negativity to a situation you know nothing about. Why don't you go apply for the job and see you do it better. You can't.

Tigergirl

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 19, 2016, 03:37:53 pm
I said I was done but, oh well, haha!!
Obythweway I guess I'm ridiculous but answering your question is simple, they don't play for the program. Being a high school basketball player is not for everyone and there are a lot of girls(parents) that can't deal with a coach like is being described coaching them or their kids!!  You noticed I said being a basketball player not playing on a basketball team, there is a big difference!!!  You don't change the way a successful coach coaches to please parents!!  If it was as bad as you say then he wouldn't be able to field a team, but he does EVERY year and a good one by the way!!! So tell your daughters  go play softball or be a cheerleader which both are athletic and absolutely nothing wrong with either one. Maybe those coaches don't yell and scream at the players.
By the way Obytheway, you proved my point. You have nothing to do with the program, you have a son not a girl!!  You are the type that does most of the complaining!!!  Those two lady's that are taking up for their coach are not alone but this is an argument that they can not win on a forum like this. Most of you complaining about this hypothetical coach never have played for a demanding coach or have had a kid that couldn't take the coaches style!!  It's a shame but on a public forum like this most of the people complaining about coaches not giving one fair playing time, treating people differently, and playing favorites were the ones that couldn't take it themselves!!

Go Bulldog, Go! It's true. The people that have negative things to say have nothing to go off of other than he say/she say and rumors. I'm telling you, get the facts and you'll be proved wrong. That's all there is to say about it. I'm not trying to win anything. I'm only defending a person who is getting bashed on a public forum for false reasons. I believe in standing up for what's right and that's all I'm doing here.

Obytheway

This will end this conversation for me.  I am much to old to argue with you two young ladies.  I didn't say I didn't have a girl.  She plays softball at a very high level for a very competitive coach. 
You two have made it very clear that it was the time of your life, so that's great. CONGRATULATIONS.  Doesn't make it great for everyone, but it has to be true if out of thousands of people in that town 2 have his back.

Bulldog92

Who said I was a lady??  Now you know what assuming does not only on what you know about the posters on here but on what you know about coaches. I have three daughters!! Two of which play for one of the best coaches in the state in high school basketball!!  I have had these same conversations with them and I don't feel bad about one bit!  The gym fills up every night the girls play by alumni of the program and with fans just coming to cheer the girls on because they know that this coaches teams are going to give it 100%, play disciplined, and exciting to watch!!  There are also folks just like you and this exact conversation is had by quiet a few folks. While we have it I tell them to look at the banners hanging all around the gym and the trophy cases that are filled top to bottom, front to back but more importantly count the number of ex-players that come back to support their old coach!!!  That last bit says it all!!!  Your not an ex-player and your daughter apparently doesn't play for him so you are not going to like him and that is YOUR CHOICE just quit knocking a successful coach because your daughter wouldn't or didn't play for him, that's HER CHOICE. Good luck to her in softball,  another sport I love to watch my daughters play!!
I am done with this as well, no more responses on this thread from me cause I bet some one is going to disagree with me, HAHAHA!!!!

TigerTime

I never played for Coach Froud, but do love watching him coach those girls.Tonight was a great game with the same coaching he alwas does. I will not argue with you any more. I know what I know. He is a great coach. Assuming, and listening to gossip is no grounds for arguing with some one who knows him and how good a guy and coach he is. To each his own. Go Coach  Froud. Oh yea tonight I was noticing that we had a full bench! More than the opposing team, so I am not sure why you say low numbers.

TigerTime

obytheway...thanks for calling me a young lady! Been a long time since I was called that.

always88

I think the whole topic went off course and the original context was misconstrued. Like his style or don't like his style, regardless of which side you take, he is obviously a very good coach! Good luck to the Lady Tigers in Regionals and State! Great group of young ladies!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas