• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations to Ouachita Baptist on its best overall athletic season to date (?)

Started by OPoraquê, February 26, 2015, 11:06:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

- First time the school has ever won conference football and men's basketball championships in the same year.
- First time that's happened in the GAC.
- First time, apparently, an Arkansas private college has done that.
- According to the GAC, OBU is the only NCAA Division II school to have won outright conference titles in both sports this school year (at the higher level, Harvard and Sam Houston State did in D I-AA, none in DI).
- First time for OBU to have a 10 win football team and a 20 win basketball team in the same season.
(...plus the women's soccer team won the GAC 2014 tournament, the wrestling team is ranked #3 in NCAA DII, the men's tennis team is ranked #28 in DII and the baseball team is off to a roaring start.)

All this from the school that's the smallest in the GAC, competing against mainly state-run universities.  Hope that Ouachita Baptist can stay strong in the future as well.

Lionheart88

3 conference titles in one year, when you include soccer.  ATU's won the All-Sports Trophy every year since the GAC's inception*, but OBU's making a hard push to take it away this year.

*Being the biggest university but offering the fewest sports in the conference pays off, I guess.

Valleysports

Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 27, 2015, 08:42:17 am
3 conference titles in one year, when you include soccer.  ATU's won the All-Sports Trophy every year since the GAC's inception*, but OBU's making a hard push to take it away this year.  *Being the biggest university but offering the fewest sports in the conference pays off, I guess.

Now Lionheart, why, you want to take a positive thread and go negative with it?  Is this whining something taught at OBU?  Tech's not going to pick up rodeo, wrestling, soccer (I sure hope not), whatever, unless it makes sense.  You'd better hope they don't anyway.  Now just let it go.   

Congratulations to Golden Suns on winning conference for 23rd time.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

When I was at OBU, we never whined about getting our butt kicked. We took it like a man!  (Speaking baseball here, other sports were average to above average while we were bottom of the barrel). It is good to see OBU doing so well in these other sports. I'm sure they will hold their own in baseball, too.

Valleysports

I'm pretty much a fan of OBU (growing up an SBPK and all).  My dad used to compete against OBU, played 4 sports for ETBC.  He had fond memories of competing in Arkadelphia.  The more competition we have in Arkansas DII - the better! 

Lionheart88

I just don't get how a little private school with 1600 students offers more sports than a 10,000 student public school titan like Tech. :P

I really do think we're going to break y'all's stranglehold on the All-Sports Trophy this year.

Valleysports

Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 01, 2015, 08:50:40 pm
I just don't get how a little private school with 1600 students offers more sports than a 10,000 student public school titan like Tech. :P

I really do think we're going to break y'all's stranglehold on the All-Sports Trophy this year.

Tech enrollment is over 12,000, however it's a public school - not a private school collecting outrages fees and receiving funds from every Baptist Church in the state.  OBU can offer whatever sports the parents / alumni want to pay for.  Public Schools have to have a good business model - obviously Tech has done an exceptional job, being the fastest growing college in America.  I'm sure Supply and Demand are a determining factor / as well as Title IX, in deciding on what sports to offer.  Tech has been in a constant construction mode for 10 yrs - I seriously doubt they are limiting the number of sports offered, just so they can defeat OBU in the All-Sports Trophy Competition - C'mon  ::)   

Lionheart88

lol, Public schools have a lot more money than private ones (as a general rule, there are of course exceptions), trust me on that.  Or just look at what they pay faculty.

Edit: for reference, here's a blog post by one of my former professors.  It's mostly on Obama's Community College expansion plan, but there's a chart most of the way down showing average salary and average raises for full professors at Arkansas Colleges and Universities: http://tullyborland.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2015-02-08T19:00:00-06:00&max-results=17&start=17&by-date=false  If I knew where the chart was from, I'd link that instead, but alas, I do not.

Valleysports

So Tech and OBU Professors make about the same.  Still doesn't convince me that Tech is limiting the number of sports offered, just so they can defeat OBU in the All-Sports Trophy Competition

Lionheart88

I'm no math genius, but a $10,400 difference is not "about the same", especially when that would represent a 16.67% raise for the OBU prof.  But I don't think either of us is going to convince the other of anything here, let's move along, shall we?

Valleysports

I don't mind you derailing this Ouachita Baptist Celebration Thread, by slinging mud at Tech.  You feel like you have a valid point to make.  And I'm saying total compensation - $89K vs $81K - is about the same.  I may be forgetting what income of 80-90K is like. 

Do see something interesting - Tech only has 20 more professors than OBU, but 10,000 more students?  Something don't add there.

Lionheart88

It only counts full professors, so it could be a turnover thing.  ATU has more folks move on before reaching tenure (or part-timers who just teach a class here and there, or visiting professors, guest lecturers, etc), whereas OBU has a higher proportion who settle down and stay there, maybe.  Then again, no professor in our history department right now has tenure.  The closest is one who's been there about 8.5 years.  It could have to do with class sizes, I never had a class much over 30 students, which I'd guess isn't true at Tech.  Also, OBU is undergrad-only.  If Tech has grad students teaching courses, that's a few more people who aren't going to be counted when they just look at full professors.

Breitontime

Tech may be looking to pick up soccer. They are trying to buy the land across from my shop, to build soccer fields.

Lionheart88

I'd like to see that.  Always good to see another school buying into the Beautiful Game.

Valleysports

Lionheart, Tech picking up soccer would be in two more titles every year.  Russellville is a soccer town - reason high school wins state championships consistently.  The soccer fields being almost downtown would be neat, but I vote no, we need to stay with American Sports.

Golden Suns - Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Golf, Tennis, Fishing   

Lionheart88

You know that basketball was invented by a Canadian and Golf and Tennis are from the UK, right?

Valleysports

Well you'll like this - a high school state champion wrestler is hanging out in my house right now.  He's in his 2nd year at Tech - going to wrestle next year.  So he's visiting the different schools now, getting the offers.  OBU, Williams, Lions, CBC.  OBU must've lost a great coach last year?  You didn't tell me that only private schools have wrestling - not even UCA nor UofA.  What's the reason a school of 25,000 students doesn't have wrestling?

Uncle Ivan

Lionheart88

Quote from: Valleysports on March 04, 2015, 04:58:21 pm
Well you'll like this - a high school state champion wrestler is hanging out in my house right now.  He's in his 2nd year at Tech - going to wrestle next year.  So he's visiting the different schools now, getting the offers.  OBU, Williams, Lions, CBC.  OBU must've lost a great coach last year?  You didn't tell me that only private schools have wrestling - not even UCA nor UofA.  What's the reason a school of 25,000 students doesn't have wrestling?
Fantastic coach who started our program over here, got hired away by Army.  Last I heard, we were the only NCAA member-school in Arkansas with wrestling.  Not sure why, you'd think it'd be a drop in the bucket for D1 schools like Fayetteville or ASU.  Ours is men only, I don't know if the NCAA even does women's wrestling, maybe a Title IX issue?

Valleysports

Private Schools don't have to adhere to Title IX, unless they receive funds from the government.  OBU?   

Tech uses women's cross country, volleyball, & tennis to match football.
OBU uses women's cross country & volleyball to match wrestling & football?.

Something doesn't add!

OPoraquê

Back to Ouachita Baptist (and I didn't mean to put any other school down).

Dennis Nutt, GAC men's bb coach of the year.  (After Todd Knight earned GAC football coach of the year a couple of months ago.)

Tirrell Brown earns GAC men's POY and newcomer of the year honors.

Pretty amazing accomplishment for a small private university competing against all bigger schools, most of them state schools.  The only other private university to do this so far is Harvard in this athletic season (both football and men's bb championships.)  Georgia Southern and Northwest Missouri State are the only other schools in DI - DII to win outright men's bball and football titles, apparently.

What a blessing for Ouachita Baptist University.  Hope they can do well in the GAC tourney...it's a whole new ballgame now.

RATTLER43

Valleysports

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 05, 2015, 11:06:57 am
Back to Ouachita Baptist (and I didn't mean to put any other school down).

"Back to OBU" is a little bit different than a direct dig towards Tech (a comment that he's made repeatedly in the past) - smart butt!  Lionheart made this about Tech, all y'all have to do is let it go  ;D

Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 27, 2015, 08:42:17 am
3 conference titles in one year, when you include soccer.  ATU's won the All-Sports Trophy every year since the GAC's inception*, but OBU's making a hard push to take it away this year.
*Being the biggest university but offering the fewest sports in the conference pays off, I guess.

OPoraquê

Valleysports - ?

I've never made a dig against any school in the past, let alone ATU.  I've nothing against them.  You may be thinking of a different poster.

Valleysports

Honestly, just to clear the air, I think Lionheart should make an ole fashion apology to OBU & Tech Fans  :D  Here we were, all of us, ready to celebrate / congratulate OBU on their success - but he has to go and ruin the whole thread, by making petty comments towards Tech, in the 2nd post.  If we continue to condone these behavioral issues, these kids will never learn.  Cause and Effect....

Lionheart88

Valleysports

Apology accepted.  I have been thinking about something though - the size of student body, in college, isn't like high school - every DII college has the same number of scholarships to recruit with, regardless of how many students are at the school. 

Lionheart88

As long as they've got the money to fund them all.  Reliable sources tell me not all of our programs have the budget for their full allotment.  I think that's part of what sticks in my craw-if we're running light in several sports but can still field reasonably competitive teams in 16 different sports, how come a public school 7-8 times our size only offers 10 teams?

Valleysports

I'm actually taken back a bit, to find out OBU only has 1600 students.  Well I don't know why, but I still think it has to do with Title IX - example - back in the 70'-80's Tech was hosting National Track meets (old timers remember) - then Title IX happened.  Track was dropped - except for girl's cross country.  I've always heard colleges will beg girls to take golf scholarships, just to fill Title IX requirements.

Got a little rain coming down you?

Lionheart88

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Even with the same number of full scholarships, it's still not the same due to tuition. Splitting a scholarship down into 1/4's and 1/8'sat Tech and Henderson can entice a kid because he can get some academic and pell and almost have it covered, but that is not the case at OBU and Harding. Not sure of Harding costs, but I think Ouachita is nearing $30k.

As for the minor sports, I think the girls max out their scholarships, but I know when I was there, baseball had 3 fulls while the NCAA allotted 9 I think.

OPoraquê

I don't know whether this is going to happen, but Ouachita Baptist is also, at midseason (regular season), the only undefeated (in league action) GAC team left.  This weekend's matchup with SAU (the top pitching team, I believe, in the Great American Conference) will be key.  3 games this weekend in Arkadelphia plus one or two in Magnolia early next week.  The season has been shortened, unfortunately, by "the crazy weather" discussed elsewhere.

If, somehow, Ouachita Baptist could win the Great American Conference baseball crown they would be in rarefied air.  I think the only time the Arkansas Razorbacks ever won football, men's bb and baseball in the same season was in 89-90 in the old Southwest Conference.  Granted, that's Division I we're talking but this doesn't happen that often at any level.  I'd compare winning a college conference to winning state in high school.  By comparison, my online FF friend Razorback Red asked who in Arkansas' highest hs level has last won football and boy's bb in the same season (answer: Hall in '82, as I recall).  I'd be curious how often this happened in the old AIC.  By comparison, the last time a team won football, men's basketball AND baseball in the same season in the Gulf South Conference was in '83-'84.

It will be fun to see if OBU can chase history this season in baseball.

Valleysports

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on March 09, 2015, 07:29:18 pm
Even with the same number of full scholarships, it's still not the same due to tuition. Splitting a scholarship down into 1/4's and 1/8'sat Tech and Henderson can entice a kid because he can get some academic and pell and almost have it covered, but that is not the case at OBU and Harding. Not sure of Harding costs, but I think Ouachita is nearing $30k.

As for the minor sports, I think the girls max out their scholarships, but I know when I was there, baseball had 3 fulls while the NCAA allotted 9 I think.

So OBU is cheating their male athletes, in traditional sports like baseball, to offer other sports like wrestling?  Don't get down on other schools for not following that philosophy.  Why is OBU 30K?

Lions84

phdefense

Quote from: Valleysports on March 10, 2015, 06:50:27 pm
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on March 09, 2015, 07:29:18 pm

So OBU is cheating their male athletes, in traditional sports like baseball, to offer other sports like wrestling?  Don't get down on other schools for not following that philosophy.  Why is OBU 30K?
Not sure if Valley is unaware that OBU is not a state school or just trolling. Who can know the mind of a Texican?

Valleysports

Very aware Goober - been supporting OBU for 40 yrs.  And they recruited me once upon a time.  Thanks for stopping by!   ::)

Valleysports

Tech's been secretly sponsoring a young S American soccer team.  We'll put Soccer on that All Sports list shortly Lionheart   ;)

Valleysports

I have no idea how this turned out. 2015, 2016, 2017?  TECH still holding on? Girls VB was awesome, but I'd rather win football,  basketball, and football. Haven't heard anything on soccer lately.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Valleysports on April 25, 2018, 07:20:05 am
I have no idea how this turned out. 2015, 2016, 2017?  TECH still holding on? Girls VB was awesome, but I'd rather win football,  basketball, and football. Haven't heard anything on soccer lately.
[/quo

OBU has improved it's athletics recently. New football field has awkward layout. Basketball gym needs updating. Baseball program is in the pits this year along with softball. The school is decent overall for its Academics. I think Harding and OBU are not worth the cost, unless you are looking at a Christian Studies program.

bleudog

phdefense

Quote from: Valleysports on April 25, 2018, 07:20:05 am
Harding ended Tech's 5 year run. Here is an easy resource for keeping up with it.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/greatamericanconference.com/documents/2017/12/11/GAC_All_Sports_Record_Book.pdf

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas