• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-1 Boys Conference

Started by StepBack3, November 30, 2016, 03:10:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wendell Robinson

I feel confident that PR, Huntsville and Gravette will advance to Regionals. The 4th team....I thought would be PG. But I honestly have no clue.

The girls are even more confusing. Gravette and Huntsville and then coin flips. Gravette's girls have played exceptionally well the last 3 weeks.

BVCAT

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on January 26, 2017, 12:31:27 pm
Been away for a while. Just for the record, I never said that Gravette was better. Just said they probably would have won had they shot better. Gravette shot 17% from the floor. And it wasn't because of Pea Ridge's defense.

Anyway, Gravette beat Prairie Grove by 17 on Tuesday. I'll update conference standings and make district seeding predictions later tonight when I get a chance.
For your standings, here is the other side of the conference:
Huntsville 19-2 (7-0)
Berryville  12-10 (5-3)

nuttinbuthogs

How much longer before the tournaments start, what are the overall standings right now?

Wendell Robinson

Tournament is the week of 2/13-2/18.
Didn't get a chance to update standings tonight so I will do it after tomorrow night's games.

Trojanball24

Huntsville will be the 1 who comes after that?

prHOG13

Quote from: Trojanball24 on January 27, 2017, 09:15:54 am
Huntsville will be the 1 who comes after that?
I think Pea Ridge will be the 1 and Huntsville the 2 unless I'm mistaken

pridgehog

The coaches in 4A-1 will have a seeding meeting. Each coach will get a couple of minutes to state a case about their team.  I would think the top two spots would be occupied by Pea Ridge and Huntsville but I am not sure how the voting would go. Pea Ridge plays against P Grove, Lincoln, Gravette, Gentry, Shiloh and West Fork who are all 4A teams.  Huntsville plays Berryville who is the only 4A team in their conference. If Huntsville and Pea Ridge both go undefeated, I would think Pea Ridge should get the 1 seed because of that. It is not anybody's fault that it worked out that way, just how it was. Huntsville also was not made to play 18 Conference games so they were able to schedule more non conference games. 

Tiger4Life2015

It's been a great season so far with a lot of teams looking competitive on a state level. I have seen almost every team in the conference play at least 1 game. It seems that the clear cut favorite to win the district will be Pea Ridge. I've seen Huntsy play a couple of games now and they aren't what they were last year in my opinion. The can shoot the ball really well which is always the case with Huntsville. They just seem to be a team that could possibly be upset come regional time. Gravette I think is a very underrated 3 seed who is a better overall squad then Huntsy this year. They are very long and athletic. Berryville looks to be the 4 according to standings and have played one of the regional opponents very close in Dardanelle in a Christmas tourney, while Dardanelle played Gentry who they beat by double digits on Gentry's home floor. The thing you also have to look at is Huntsy and Berryville having to play some serious basketball schools like Valley Springs, Yellville, Marshall. Valley is a serious state contender every year who seems to make a run to the semis most of the time with a talented coach in JT. Valley was beat by both Huntsy and Berryville. The other side is loaded with conference opponents who get to play each other multiple times. Lincoln is obviously the last seed not only by talent but by their record. PG has been a very streaky team this year and has had a decent conference record. Them and Berryville could flip flop the 4 and 5 seed in my opinion, but it won't matter because they will be playing each other either way which will be a dog fight in the 1st round in my opinion. Gentry and Shiloh will be matching up with Huntsy and Gravette which I could see a Shiloh team giving some fits to say a Huntsville team who isn't the biggest this year. Shiloh's crazy run and jump defense and helter skelter type of playing could also be a serious factor in the tournament. Another thing I gathered was Gentry's best player now wasn't even available at the first half of the season, which plays a huge factor in some of their last games down the stretch. It will be interesting to see how the coaches seed this tourney because of certain teams not playing each other, but after looking over schedules and common opponents this seeding makes the most sense to me.

1. Pea Ridge 19-1 (13-0)
2. Huntsy 19-2 (5-0)
3. Gravette 15-4 (12-1)
4. Berryville 12-10 (5-3)
5. Prairie Grove 9-11 (8-5)
6. Gentry 9-8 (7-6)
7. Shiloh Christian 11-9 (7-6)
8. Lincoln 5-14 (3-9)

Baller91

I'm not sure where you got your information,  but Gentry has not played Dardanelle at all this year, if ever. Gentry lost to PG early in the season, but beat them last week and beat Shiloh, but still has to play them again.

Wendell Robinson

I'll just jump right into my predictions for tourney seeding and I'll give my reasoning for each selection.

1. Pea Ridge 20-1, 13-0
2. Huntsville 19-2, 6-0
3. Gravette 16-4, 12-1
4. Prairie Grove 10-11, 9-5
5. Gentry 10-8, 8-6
6. Shiloh 11-10, 7-7
7. Berryville 12-10, 5-3
8. Lincoln 5-14, 3-9

I'll give Pea Ridge the nod as the 1 seed for the moment. Due to some of the reasons already given by others. By no fault of their own Huntsville's schedule is comparably weak due to the conference alignment. They also have a relatively hurtful loss to a .500 Ozark team early in the year. Gravette can make a case for the 2 or possibly 1 seed this week with games against Pea Ridge, West Fork, and Gentry. I currently favor PG over Gentry due to PG's better conference record and the season split between the 2 teams. Though Gentry is probably playing better at the moment. Shiloh is a team that could sneak into the Regional tournament if they play up to their perceived potential. I'll put Berryville at the 7 for now, but wouldn't be surprised if they get the 6 or even 5 seed depending on they close out the last 2 weeks of the regular season. Lincoln is all but guaranteed the 8 seed with games against Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, and West Fork still on the schedule.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on January 28, 2017, 12:12:11 pm
I'll just jump right into my predictions for tourney seeding and I'll give my reasoning for each selection.

1. Pea Ridge 20-1, 13-0
2. Huntsville 19-2, 6-0
3. Gravette 16-4, 12-1
4. Prairie Grove 10-11, 9-5
5. Gentry 10-8, 8-6
6. Shiloh 11-10, 7-7
7. Berryville 12-10, 5-3
8. Lincoln 5-14, 3-9

I'll give Pea Ridge the nod as the 1 seed for the moment. Due to some of the reasons already given by others. By no fault of their own Huntsville's schedule is comparably weak due to the conference alignment. They also have a relatively hurtful loss to a .500 Ozark team early in the year. Gravette can make a case for the 2 or possibly 1 seed this week with games against Pea Ridge, West Fork, and Gentry. I currently favor PG over Gentry due to PG's better conference record and the season split between the 2 teams. Though Gentry is probably playing better at the moment. Shiloh is a team that could sneak into the Regional tournament if they play up to their perceived potential. I'll put Berryville at the 7 for now, but wouldn't be surprised if they get the 6 or even 5 seed depending on they close out the last 2 weeks of the regular season. Lincoln is all but guaranteed the 8 seed with games against Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, and West Fork still on the schedule.

Nicely done. I would only disagree with the bottom of your rankings.  I do think BV should be above Shiloh because they have more total wins and I just think you go with the w/L records because thats how the system is structured, (not everyone is in the same pool of play) so more wins, higher win percentage in their assigned conference play.  Last Lincoln, well, what can you say. Lincoln.

Tiger4Life2015

That is my bad on the Gentry/Dandanelle. I meant to put Prairie Grove. But gentry did lose to Decatur earlier in the year pretty bad if I recall correctly, plus a loss to a very down Lincoln team. so Dardanelle sounds better who is a regional team with a 15-7 record I believe.  ;)

Baller91

I was just letting you know they hadn't played Dardanelle. Yes, Gentry has had some embarrassing losses this year. However, they haven't lost any games because one of their players made the winning basket for the other team (like PG did with Elkins) so it could always be worse😉

prHOG13

Excited for Gravette/Pea Ridge tonight

Tiger4Life2015

Would love to watch the Pea Ridge/Gravette game tonight! Gonna try to keep updates on records and break down a little more who's got better wins and losses on here. The top 3 are set in stone in my opinion.

Pea Ridge 20-1 (13-0)  Wins - over Gravette, P.G., Gentry, Shiloh, pretty much ran table on one side.

Losses - Providence Academy by 2   

Huntsville 20-2 (6-0)    Wins - PG, Bentonville West, Providence Academy by 17, Berryville by double digits
                                Losses - Farmington and @ Ozark by 3

Gravette 16-4 (13-1)    Wins - Berryville, PG, Shiloh, Gentry

Losses - Pea Ridge, Huntsville by 24, Bentonville West

Berryville 11-10 (5-4)   Wins - Lincoln by 23, Valley Springs, Monett MO, Blue Eye MO

Losses - Gravette, @ Huntsville by 20, Dardanelle by 2

Prairie Grove 10-11 (9-5) Wins - Siloam Springs, West Fork, Gentry, Haas Hall

Losses - Huntsville, Dardanelle by 10, Gentry, Ozark by 11, Gravette

Gentry 10-8 (8-6)  Wins - Shiloh, Haas Hall, PG, West Fork by 3, Southwest MO

Losses - Decatur by 21, Lincoln, PG , West Fork by 26, Forsyth MO

Shiloh 11-10 (7-7) Wins - Lincoln by 30, Greenland, Haas Hall, McDonald Co MO

Losses - Gentry by 8, PG by 10, County Line

Lincoln 5-14 (3-9) Enough Said.

pridgehog

January 30, 2017, 03:10:04 pm #115 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:15:07 pm by pridgehog
Quote from: Tiger4Life2015 on January 30, 2017, 02:07:54 pm
Would love to watch the Pea Ridge/Gravette game tonight! Gonna try to keep updates on records and break down a little more who's got better wins and losses on here. The top 3 are set in stone in my opinion.

Pea Ridge 20-1 (13-0)  Wins - over Gravette, P.G., Gentry, Shiloh, pretty much ran table on one side. Beat Defending 2A State Champion Earle by 9 and beat Monticello by 4 on a Neutral floor. Two very good and Athletic teams. Earle is expected to win it all again.

Losses - Providence Academy by 2   Loss was without 3 starters from last years team, all who are back with the team now.

Huntsville 20-2 (6-0)    Wins - PG, Bentonville West, Providence Academy by 17, Berryville by double digits Beat Ozark at Huntsville by about 20 before they lost to them at Ozark.
                                Losses - Farmington and @ Ozark by 3

Gravette 16-4 (13-1)    Wins - Berryville, PG, Shiloh, Gentry Beat 7A Rogers High

Losses - Pea Ridge, Huntsville by 24, Bentonville West

Berryville 11-10 (5-4)   Wins - Lincoln by 23, Valley Springs, Monett MO, Blue Eye MO

Losses - Gravette, @ Huntsville by 20, Dardanelle by 2

Prairie Grove 10-11 (9-5) Wins - Siloam Springs, West Fork, Gentry, Haas Hall

Losses - Huntsville, Dardanelle by 10, Gentry, Ozark by 11, Gravette

Gentry 10-8 (8-6)  Wins - Shiloh, Haas Hall, PG, West Fork by 3, Southwest MO Best Player was hurt until the last month and are playing much better with him.

Losses - Decatur by 21, Lincoln, PG , West Fork by 26, Forsyth MO

Shiloh 11-10 (7-7) Wins - Lincoln by 30, Greenland, Haas Hall, McDonald Co MO

Losses - Gentry by 8, PG by 10, County Line

Lincoln 5-14 (3-9) Enough Said.

prHOG13

That PR loss to Providence Academy was in double OT on a buzzer beater. They had plenty of chances to win that one and couldn't put it away. Providence is a good team though

prHOG13

Here's a link to the live stream Tiger4life

http://www.esenetworks.com/live-events.aspx?id=51330

No commentary, just video

prHOG13

Pea Ridge beats Gravette 58-38

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge handled Gravette with realative ease tonight. Gravette played about the same as they did last time, Pea Ridge just made more shots this game!

pridgehog

Quote from: prHOG13 on January 30, 2017, 07:29:38 pm
That PR loss to Providence Academy was in double OT on a buzzer beater. They had plenty of chances to win that one and couldn't put it away. Providence is a good team though
Providence is no slouch but I was making the point that three starters from last years team did not play for Pea Ridge that night and are now back with the team. I don't think Providence would play Pea Ridge very close if that game was played now.

Trojanball24

January 31, 2017, 10:17:07 am #121 Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:34:12 am by Trojanball24
Went to the game last night

Ole Legend

Quote from: Trojanball24 on January 31, 2017, 10:17:07 am
Went to the game last night pretty good game for a half. Pea Ridges coach was entertaining with the T and coat throw. Pea Ridge is def the best team in the 3A/4A-1

He didn't really get to earn his T last night. I was kinda disappointed lol

Tiger4Life2015

So Gravette lost to West Fork last night from what I've heard.... Anybody got any insight on to how that went down?

beach bum

Quote from: Trojanball24 link=topic=150099.msg3451372#msg34tree51372 date=1485879427
Went to the game last night pretty good game for a half. Pea Ridges coach was entertaining with the T and coat throw. Pea Ridge is def the best team in the 3A/4A-1

What is funny is the Pea Ridge people were complaining about the Gravette's coach's behavior just a while back. Maybe they should worry about their own coach's behavior. They'll be biased with their own I am sure and justify and enable his antics.

prHOG13

Quote from: beach bum on February 02, 2017, 05:42:59 pm
What is funny is the Pea Ridge people were complaining about the Gravette's coach's behavior just a while back. Maybe they should worry about their own coach's behavior. They'll be biased with their own I am sure and justify and enable his antics.
He didn't really do anything to justify the T. He was questioning a lot of the calls and one of the guys got tired of it. It wasn't as animated as some are making it out to be. I was sitting right behind the bench and heard everything he was saying. He knows the official personally. They were very cordial after halftime.

But yeah, we'll enable him

Ole Legend

Beach bum is only on here to stir up an argument. That's how it's always been with him.

prHOG13

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: prHOG13 on February 03, 2017, 07:45:58 pm
So Lincoln fired their basketball coach last week?

https://twitter.com/nwarick/status/827680472562036736
[/quot

Is this true?  When did it happen and what was the reason behind it?

theoleballcoach

Lincoln is brutal on anyone named Davenport!

beach bum

People aren't relieved of their duties mid season unless something pretty serious was going on....

theoleballcoach

Well if that means what I think it does, then I apologize. Don't mean to make light of a terrible situation.

RZback

Quote from: beach bum on February 04, 2017, 03:14:37 pm
People aren't relieved of their duties mid season unless something pretty serious was going on....
Quote from: theoleballcoach on February 04, 2017, 02:29:50 pm
Lincoln is brutal on anyone named Davenport!

Lincoln seems to have issues with keeping coaches.  Suggestion that something is "pretty serious" leaves the door open to think the worst about this coach.  I don't think that's a good idea unless you know the reasons. 

beach bum

February 06, 2017, 08:03:53 pm #133 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 08:28:54 pm by beach bum
Quote from: RZback on February 06, 2017, 07:26:34 pm
Lincoln seems to have issues with keeping coaches.  Suggestion that something is "pretty serious" leaves the door open to think the worst about this coach.  I don't think that's a good idea unless you know the reasons.

This is not college or pro where people resign or are fired midseason all the time. It is a rare circumstance someone is fired or resigns midseason at the high school level. So I stick by my statement that likely there is more than meets the eye here. Not saying the coach did anything wrong here but obviously something out of the ordinary happened to just not be the coach anymore 85% through the year. This is a message board where people speculate  on circumstances all the time. This is part of what the board is and not meant as something malicious like you are making it.

RZback

If you had used the term, "something out of the ordinary", I would not have challenged your statement.  The term something "Pretty Serious" leaves a deeper, darker suggestion.  When you are talking about someones reputation it would be best to know before leaving a "serious" impression.
I agree with your latest post, where you clarified your statement and said something out of the ordinary happened.  Whatever happened is not clear and the cause for the coaches being removed is also not clear.
Do you know if the coach is gone from the campus or just removed as the coach?  That could possibly make a big statement about the seriousness of what happened.

nuttinbuthogs

I was getting ready to reply when RZ's last post popped up. It caused me to change my mind.  I thought BB was okay until the lastpost but now I agree with RZ.  Should not have suggested whatever happened was serious unless you know.  I haven't seen a post that lets that information out and I do know that Lincoln seems to have some strange ways of doingthings sometimes.  just saying.

RZback

Well, I wasn't trying to spark a debate.  Thanks for the agreement but not necessary.  I do know a few folks from the Lincoln area and they like to talk.  It does have it's odd ways and that's really all I was saying.

beach bum

February 06, 2017, 09:34:25 pm #137 Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:36:53 pm by beach bum
Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 06, 2017, 08:36:46 pm
ILincoln seems to have some strange ways of doingthings sometimes.  just saying.

This is true.... And makes me think I should rephrase what I said before. This situation would not be ordinary for most all schools but Lincoln definitely has a different way of handling things.

Wendell Robinson

The story is that the Lincoln HC and an assistant got into a heated argument during practice in front of the players. Not sure exactly what that means. But that was the story posted in the NWA Democrat-Gazette.

Tiger4Life2015

That is correct about the argument and some serious language being used is what I've heard. He is still teaching until the end of the year, but has been relieved from coaching duties is everything that I've gathered. I think the Asst is just as much responsible for the issue. Any final thoughts on seeding before the meeting takes place tomorrow?

doober3

Quote from: Tiger4Life2015 on February 07, 2017, 11:47:30 am
That is correct about the argument and some serious language being used is what I've heard. He is still teaching until the end of the year, but has been relieved from coaching duties is everything that I've gathered. I think the Asst is just as much responsible for the issue. Any final thoughts on seeding before the meeting takes place tomorrow?

Both coaches were relieved of coaching duties.  It's a shame for the girls to see two "adults" act like this especially adults that are suppose to be role models.

beach bum

February 07, 2017, 04:38:02 pm #141 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:39:59 pm by beach bum
So I guess I will stand by my statement a third time... Again people do not get fired for no reason MID SEASON in high school athletics. And yes "being relieved of your duties" means you were fired as the coach.

RZback

February 07, 2017, 07:55:06 pm #142 Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:33:59 pm by RZback
Quote from: beach bum on February 07, 2017, 04:38:02 pm
So I guess I will stand by my statement a third time... Again people do not get fired for no reason MID SEASON in high school athletics. And yes "being relieved of your duties" means you were fired as the coach.
Quote from: RZback on February 06, 2017, 08:16:13 pm
If you had used the term, "something out of the ordinary", I would not have challenged your statement.  The term something "Pretty Serious" leaves a deeper, darker suggestion.  When you are talking about someones reputation it would be best to know before leaving a "serious" impression.
I agree with your latest post, where you clarified your statement and said something out of the ordinary happened.  Whatever happened is not clear and the cause for the coaches being removed is also not clear.
Do you know if the coach is gone from the campus or just removed as the coach?  That could possibly make a big statement about the seriousness of what happened.

And I will stand by mine.  That you made a hasty statement without knowing all the facts.  Turns out you may have jumped to the correct conclusion albeit hastily.  Only unknowns are what the argument was about and who caused it.   Looks like it was something serious.

nuttinbuthogs

This sounds pretty strange, what the heck were they fighting over. Anybody have any additional information. Doesn't the coach have a daughter on the team?

StepBack3

The assistant coach had a daughter on the team.

nuttinbuthogs

I wonder if the disagreement concerned the daughter?  Playing time or something?  Maybe just disagreement over the direction of the team.  I think they had only won 4-5 games.   Does anyone know what caused this mess?  It must have been good to get both coaches fired from coaching.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge started to struggle a little bit this past week, it seems everyone is coming out and playing lights out against the Hawks. Westin Church has really picked up some of the slack for Pea Ridge, he's a kid that started as a sophomore and junior then tore his ACL this summer. He worked his butt off to get back as soon as possible. Last night against Elkins he came in and played exceptional defense and distributed the ball as well as any kid I've seen in a long time. He may not put up the scoring numbers that he used to, but he is making plays for his teammates, rebounding, and playing good defense. He is a game changer for Pea Ridge in my opinion.

RZback

Quote from: doober3 on February 07, 2017, 11:51:41 am
Both coaches were relieved of coaching duties.  It's a shame for the girls to see two "adults" act like this especially adults that are suppose to be role models.

Now that the basketball season is over for Lincoln, did anyone ever find out what the blowup between the coaches was about? I asked a few folks but they didn't know or didn't want to say.  I think they are both still teaching so it wasn't bad enough to get fired from teaching. 

nuttinbuthogs

RZ, you aren't going to get an answer to your question. Those that know aren't talking and those that will talk don't really know.  Not many Liincoln posters around these days.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas