• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-1 Boys Conference

Started by StepBack3, November 30, 2016, 03:10:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

StepBack3

Now that basketball has tipped off, any ideas on how the teams will place in the 4A/3A-1 conference?

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge will be 1. Not sure after that

beach bum

November 30, 2016, 05:35:14 pm #2 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:42:05 pm by beach bum
PG with all hands on deck probably could have gotten as high as 3rd or 4th in the 3A/4A combined league. Without those vital football guys for a while then having to play themselves into basketball shape it could be pretty rough treading. They will be lucky to even get to .500 in conference without them. PG went through a long stretch until the last few years where its best basketball players did not play football and concentrated just on basketball. That has changed recently where some pretty good basketball talent doesn't get a lot of basketball practice throughout the year because the football program is straight up dominating. Nothing is wrong with that, its just the way the cookie has crumbled. They have a really good coach in Coach Edmiston, and that showed when he won a lot of games and had some pretty good teams from around 2005-2011/2012 area when nearly all of its key players were year round basketball players.

Trojanball24

Ive heard some good things about Lincoln where will htey fall

doober3

Quote from: Trojanball24 on December 01, 2016, 11:51:15 am
Saw them play West Fork the other night.  WF stayed 10-15 points ahead most of the game and it seemed like more than that.

Ole Legend

Quote from: beach bum on November 30, 2016, 05:35:14 pm
PG with all hands on deck probably could have gotten as high as 3rd or 4th in the 3A/4A combined league. Without those vital football guys for a while then having to play themselves into basketball shape it could be pretty rough treading. They will be lucky to even get to .500 in conference without them. PG went through a long stretch until the last few years where its best basketball players did not play football and concentrated just on basketball. That has changed recently where some pretty good basketball talent doesn't get a lot of basketball practice throughout the year because the football program is straight up dominating. Nothing is wrong with that, its just the way the cookie has crumbled. They have a really good coach in Coach Edmiston, and that showed when he won a lot of games and had some pretty good teams from around 2005-2011/2012 area when nearly all of its key players were year round basketball players.

Pea Ridge is in the same boat. Missing 2 or 3 from football that will make contributions, and still waiting on Church to return from his ACL. Should be a pretty salty team around the end of this month.

theflash10

Saw them play recently, played against a team that lacks athleticism and some talent in Green Forest. Lincoln has some good shooters and were patient when moving the ball on offense to make sure they got the look they wanted. Didn't seem like they were very deep but did listen to their coach and knew their roles.

beach bum

I know its against what will probably be some of the bottom teams in the conference, but Prairie Grove is now sitting at 2-0 in the conference after a win a @West Fork tonight. I think when the football player additions get into full swing they could be a top 3 team in this combined league and be pretty decent. Maybe get to like 13-5 record in conference if things went well. That would be a pretty good year for them.

Ole Legend

Matt Thomas scored 39 last night for Pea Ridge in a win against Gentry.

nuttinbuthogs

Who is in the 1 4A conference now? Has anybody ranked it top to bottom?

StepBack3

Thanks to Beach Bum from another topic..."The league will be Greenland, Elkins, and Haas Hall with the 4A schools being West Fork, Prairie Grove, Lincoln, Gentry, Gravette, Pea Ridge, and Shiloh Christian." 

JoshuaRug13

Pea Ridge had a big win the other night!  Great team!

nuttinbuthogs

What about the remainder of the conference, how might it shake out.

Wendell Robinson

Gravette defeated to Lincoln on Tuesday. They started out pretty sluggish before pulLing away in the second half to win by 13. They now sit at 3-0 overall 2-0 in conference. They have a big 3 games in 3 days Thursday-Saturday at the Farmington classic. Games against Farmington, Huntsville, and Waldron.

JoshuaRug13

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 07, 2016, 11:58:15 pm
Gravette defeated to Lincoln on Tuesday. They started out pretty sluggish before pulLing away in the second half to win by 13. They now sit at 3-0 overall 2-0 in conference. They have a big 3 games in 3 days Thursday-Saturday at the Farmington classic. Games against Farmington, Huntsville, and Waldron.

Tony approves of this...

Trojanball24

Wendell Robinson

Better than I thought. They came out shooting the ball red hot. And actually had a 10 point lead at one point in the 1st quarter. Gravette was too much for them once they settled in though. I'd say Lincoln will do ok in conference. Probably finish middle of the pack with a shot to upset a few teams along the way.

Wendell Robinson

In the first round of action tonight of the  Tony Chachere's Classic in Farmington Gravette lost in 2OT to Farmington, 69-67. Quick turn around against Huntsville today at 4.

nuttinbuthogs

Lincoln seems to be struggling in its athletics again. Maybe this year will be an upswing for basketball.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 09, 2016, 07:45:26 am
In the first round of action tonight of the  Tony Chachere's Classic in Farmington Gravette lost in 2OT to Farmington, 69-67. Quick turn around against Huntsville today at 4.

How did that Gravette/Huntsville game turn out?

$aintMaximu$

Is there any place to get scores? I would like to know how Shiloh did vs. Greenland...

Ole Legend

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on December 13, 2016, 07:39:14 am
Is there any place to get scores? I would like to know how Shiloh did vs. Greenland...

I believe Pea Ridge plays Greenland tonight, and Shiloh next Tuesday. Max preps has the scores for some games.

Wendell Robinson

Quote from: Ole Legend on December 13, 2016, 06:44:04 am
How did that Gravette/Huntsville game turn out?

Huntsville won going away, I can't remember the final score off the top of my head. Gravette looked like a tired team. Physically they couldn't make anything and just looked sluggish on their feet. Basically, they looked like a team that had just played a 2OT game 18 hours previously.

Huntsville on the other hand came out hot and stayed that way. I don't have the exact stats in front of me but I wouldn't be surprised if about 80% of their shots were from 3, and they made most of them. Especially the Pemberton kid, he couldn't miss. If Hunstville shoots like that all the time they are going to be very tough to beat.

If the two teams happen to meet up again in the District tournament I would expect a much more competitive game. Not saying that Gravette will beat them, but I would expect them to keep it closer. I wouldn't be surprised if Huntsville rolled through their side of the conference undefeated. They are very good team.

Wendell Robinson

In other news Gravette defeated Prairie Grove in both Boys and Girls action tonight.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge beat Greenland in both the boys and girls games tonight.

Wendell Robinson

The Gravette/Shiloh game originally scheduled for December 2 has been rescheduled for this Thursday in Gravette.

beach bum

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 13, 2016, 10:03:55 pm
In other news Gravette defeated Prairie Grove in both Boys and Girls action tonight.

That game was in PG too right? Nice vital wins there for Gravette especially in boys. I think we know Pea Ridge will be the top team, but those 2-5 spots are really up for grabs and Gravette could take a good step forward in boys with a win against Shiloh tomorrow too. Holding wins against Shiloh and @ PG in a 3 day span would be nice for Gravette.

Wendell Robinson

Quote from: beach bum on December 14, 2016, 09:48:03 am
That game was in PG too right? Nice vital wins there for Gravette especially in boys. I think we know Pea Ridge will be the top team, but those 2-5 spots are really up for grabs and Gravette could take a good step forward in boys with a win against Shiloh tomorrow too. Holding wins against Shiloh and @ PG in a 3 day span would be nice for Gravette.

Yes it was in PG. Pretty crucial stretch for Gravette this week for sure. Due to the postponement with Shiloh earlier it forces Gravette to play a lot of games in a short period of time, 6 in 9 days to be exact. 3 against Farmington, Hunstville, and Waldron last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Prairie Grove on Tuesday and now Shiloh and Elkins on Thursday and Friday of this week.

RazorHog13

Pea Ridge looks tough this year!  Plays great defense and can shoot the ball lights out!  Could this be the year?

Wendell Robinson

December 15, 2016, 10:27:40 pm #29 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:19:54 pm by Wendell Robinson
Gravette defeated Shiloh tonight in both girls and boys action. Girls won by 15. Boys by 13.

The Boys game was tied 19-19 at half. Gravette came out with a lot more energy and started to slowly pull away little by little. The turning point was half way through the 3rd Quarter when Shiloh was called for an intentional foul(a good/obvious call) that was immediately followed by a technical foul on a Shiloh player. The result was 4 made free throws and a made shot on the ensuing possession for a 6 point swing to put Gravette up by 9, a lead that they never relinquished, leading by as much as 17 at one point.

beach bum

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 15, 2016, 10:27:40 pm
Gravette defeated Shiloh tonight in both girls and boys action. Girls won by 15. Boys by 13.

The Boys game was tied 19-19 at half. Gravette came out with a lot more energy and started to slowly pull away little by little. The turning point was half way through the 3rd Quarter when Shiloh was called for an intentional foul(a good/obvious call) that was immediately followed by a technical foul on a Shiloh player. The result was 4 made free throws and a made shot on the ensuing possession for a 6 point swing to put Gravette up by 9, a lead that they never relinquished, leading by as much as 17 at one point.

Gravette sitting pretty at 4-0 in the conference. The win against PG looks good because PG is 3-1 in the league. Don't want to count the chickens until they hatch, but Gravette could take a huge step forward and should get to 5-0 and maybe 6-0 in the conference with West Fork very winnable on Tuesday as well as Elkins tonight. There would still be 2/3 of the league games left, but with a road win in their pocket at PG I think Gravette will be in the drivers seat for 2nd in this 10 team league moving forward if they take care of business the next two games. Did PG or Shiloh look better in your eyes if you happened to see both play? Those two teams I think will battle for 3rd by the end of the year IMO.

beach bum

Are these standings according to Maxpreps accurate? I imagine they are because they only have Pea Ridge at 3-0? I imagine them, PG, and Shiloh had to reschedule games with people early with them going so deep in football and those will get made up later obviously. This conference is starting out somewhat close to what I thought with certain teams in the top half and certain in the bottom. I think we thought Gravette would be solid, but they have started out hot sitting undefeated along with the favorites Pea Ridge.

1.Gravette 4-0
2.Pea Ridge 3-0 (only listed as 2nd due to one less game played than Gravette)
3.Prairie Grove 3-1 (head to head win over West Fork)
4.West Fork 3-1
5.Gentry 3-2
6.Shiloh 2-2
7.Greenland 2-3
8.Elkins 1-3
9.Lincoln 0-4
10.Haas Hall 0-5

Wendell Robinson

Gravette beat Elkins last night by 11. Were up by 16 until subs started coming in late while Elkins left starters in.

Wendell Robinson

I didn't get a chance to go to PG. I thought Shiloh looked pretty good for the most part. They got a little flustered under pressure and every time a foul was called them they made a face as if they were a little kid who was just told Santa Claus wasn't real.

They can shoot well enough to cause some problems for teams going forward. Physically they weren't strong overall, especially down low.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge goes to Shiloh tonight, and they host Lincoln tomorrow. If everything goes good, Pea Ridge will have everyone back this week.

nuttinbuthogs

Struggling a bit right now.

doober3

Nevermind, I posted a girls score.

Ole Legend

Pea Ridge boys and girls take down Lincoln tonight. Lincoln seemed like they would be in the 4-7 spots in the conference.

scoutteamshoota

Gravette boys win tonight against West Fork....new coach has them playing hard.
9-1 I believe.

Wendell Robinson

The thing I've noticed about Gravette this year, they've called off the dogs really early with big but not huge leads. Tonight against West Fork for example, I'll bet they only took 2 shots from the floor in the last 3 minutes. Passing up easy lay ups in the process in order to milk more clock. The result is a 13 point win but it could have been 20+ with little effort. It will be interesting to see what happens when Gravette plays Pea Ridge later, as well as rematches with PG and Shiloh.

pridgehog

Quote from: scoutteamshoota on December 20, 2016, 11:06:38 pm
Gravette boys win tonight against West Fork....new coach has them playing hard.
9-1 I believe.
Did you guy beat Huntsville and Farmington? What about Bentonville West?

pridgehog

Quote from: Ole Legend on December 20, 2016, 10:23:03 pm
Pea Ridge boys and girls take down Lincoln tonight. Lincoln seemed like they would be in the 4-7 spots in the conference.
is Lincoln 0 and 6 in the Conference?

Ole Legend

Quote from: pridgehog on December 21, 2016, 10:58:59 am
is Lincoln 0 and 6 in the Conference?

Yes. I can see them winning more games at the end of conference play. They are capable of competing with some of the teams at the bottom.

nuttinbuthogs

So what is going on at Lincoln?  I understand the win loss record of almost all sports is on the decline the last few years.  I also see that they have not finished their athletic facilities started 5-6 years ago?

Wendell Robinson

Gravette beat Gentry tonight to improve to 7-0 in conference. 11-3 overall.

pridgehog

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on January 06, 2017, 11:24:53 pm
Gravette beat Gentry tonight to improve to 7-0 in conference. 11-3 overall.
Pea Ridge heading to Gravette next Friday, should be a fun game.

nuttinbuthogs

What does the conference standings look like at this point.

Wendell Robinson

Gravette beat Haas Hall 72-28 tonight. They will travel to Berryville for a "non-conference" game tomorrow. Then they will travel to Shiloh on Friday. Before having next week off leading up to a HUGE game with Pea Ridge.

Wendell Robinson

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 09, 2017, 09:25:58 pm
What does the conference standings look like at this point.

If my figures are up to date the current standings of 4A-1 schools of the combined 4A/3A conference are as follows:

1. Gravette 8-0
2. Pea Ridge 7-0
3. Prairie Grove 7-1
4. Gentry 4-4
5. Shiloh Christian 3-4
6. Lincoln 0-8

As for Huntsville and Berryville. I can only find record of 3 conference games for each of them.
Huntsville is 3-0 and Berryville is 1-2.

Just my opinion, if the District Tournament started today it would be seeded something like this.

1. Pea Ridge
2. Huntsville
3. Gravette
4. Prairie Grove
5. Gentry
6. Shiloh Christian
7. Berryville
8. Lincoln

nuttinbuthogs

I assume that's boys?  What does the girls race look like?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas