• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Delta 3a/4A combined Conference 2016-17

Started by Head Lion, May 24, 2016, 02:11:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Lion

List of schools 3A, Manila, Rivercrest, Osceola, Riverside, Walnut Ridge and 4A Brookland, Westside, Gosnell, Trumann, Harrisburg. Thoughts?

pridgehog

I never bet against Lee A Wimberley... I think the Lions hold their own with the 4A. Out of this group, I like Gosnell and Manilla...

beach bum

Quote from: Head Lion on May 24, 2016, 02:11:01 pm
List of schools 3A, Manila, Rivercrest, Osceola, Riverside, Walnut Ridge and 4A Brookland, Westside, Gosnell, Trumann, Harrisburg. Thoughts?

I love seeing some of these old rivalries turned back into home and home conference games....

elvis26

Missco

Walnut Ridge isn't grouped with those schools. It will be fun to watch those schools play. It beats going to Cave City, Highland, or Pocahontas.

BigMan15

Am I crazy???? Osceola will run away with this conference!! If they can stay out of trouble I look for them to make a deep run in state! In all fairness, Manilla will be solid and will make some noise.

NWA Hawg

My pick in this conference is Westside. I don't know how the other teams will handle their size.

BigMan15

RedWolf275

Riverside will be capable of beating good teams this year but I don't know about consistent they will be. There girls should be very good.

Ghs21

BoxNOne

Gosnell will get their chance although I'm not sure there will even be a conference champion. By definition it is a combined group with a lot of difference in enrollments from top to bottom. Even if it's called a conference the champion has no binding advantage heading to district as different criteria will seed teams there.

Missco

May 27, 2016, 12:42:31 pm #11 Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:49:37 pm by Missco
That  conference will be the toughest top to bottom of all the 3A/4A conferences.  Lol, a lot tougher to finish 1st in that group of schools than to win any district tournament. The AAA just needs to go from 7 classes to 4. Five would be stretching it but would be better than 7 that is insane. In most states all those schools would be in the same class. Those schools are basically all about the same size other than Brookland and Riverside. Still not much difference. 

Missco

Osceola, Manila, and Westside will be the favorites with Gosnell, Brookland, and Rivercrest next, then Riverside and Truman. Harrisburg will be at the bottom. I wonder how many winning seasons they have ever had?

elvis26

;) Osceola and Gosnell would be my top 2 teams.

Ghs21

I don't see westside being better than Gosnell... Aren't they losing there best player? Gosnell returns like 4 starters from last years team and they beat westside the last 2 meetings. I don't see Manila being better either Gosnell handled them as well, I say Osceola and Gosnell

Missco

May 28, 2016, 05:52:53 pm #15 Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 05:56:59 pm by Missco
Manila has one thing on their side. The best coach in the conference and yes some could successfully argue the 2nd. Regardless he can coach. Gosnell will be good as will most of these schools. It will be the tale of two half's of the round Robin as usual. Everyone except Riverside, Westside, Brookland, and Harrisburg will be better after Christmas.

Hornetzone

Missco

November 18, 2016, 03:20:05 pm #17 Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:33:30 pm by Missco
I will take that bet. They are much improved but this conference will be tough every night. Osceola, Manila, Westside, Gosnell,  and Brookland. I don't see Harrisburg finishing ahead of any of them. Maybe not even some of the others.

Hornet guy

Harrisburg is playing good ball right now sitting at 5-0 . But when we get to the conference it will be very tough . I would say this is the toughest combined conference in the state . Good luck to all teams it will be a murderous row when we all start conference play .

Ghs21

Gosnell plays there first Game tommorow in the SEMO tournament

Missco

It's not the SEMO. tournament but the bulldog classic. Gosnell got the 2 seed. Caruthersville the 1 and Hayti the 3..

Ghs21

Quote from: Missco on November 27, 2016, 03:05:37 pm
It's not the SEMO. tournament but the bulldog classic. Gosnell got the 2 seed. Caruthersville the 1 and Hayti the 3..
oh okay the schedule said semo. But it should be a decent tourney.. I still don't see why caruthersville is the number 1 seed Gosnell beat them in the championship last year by like 20..

Missco

Because they finished the year better and return more kids. Not that seeds really matter. You have to win them all anyway. It's better to have to play hayti and caruthersville. Makes you better if you end up playing both.

Ghs21

Quote from: Missco on November 27, 2016, 03:37:00 pm
Because they finished the year better and return more kids. Not that seeds really matter. You have to win them all anyway. It's better to have to play hayti and caruthersville. Makes you better if you end up playing both.
I think Gosnell will return 3 starters and are very athletic. But i agree it's good they will have to play them teams.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Ghs21 on November 27, 2016, 03:39:45 pm
I think Gosnell will return 3 starters and are very athletic. But i agree it's good they will have to play them teams.

Good luck to Gosnell!!

godeep

Missco I'm looking at 3 coaches who have won state titles (Westside,Osceola,Brookland)and Manila has the best coach?

NEA Razorback olfan

November 27, 2016, 07:55:42 pm #26 Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:57:44 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Brookland has been starting 1senior ,4 Sophs 

Rivercrest at Brookland  (B) 11/29
Should be a good game

Missco

I would put Gross and Manila's coach at 1. A tie  3. Would be Frankie Gathen 4. Buster Campbell.  Truthfully all four are good coaches. Whitmire state title or not is not as good as other's. But it's just all an opinion. I for one think Harrisburg's coach does a great job. NEA is not short on good coaches. It never has been. Now SE and SW Arkansas that's a different story.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 27, 2016, 07:55:42 pm
Brookland has been starting 1senior ,4 Sophs 

Rivercrest at Brookland  (B) 11/29
Should be a good game

This Game has been rescheduled for Jan 5th

Bigtimebasketballfan

Mark whitmire has to be up there with the others. Tell me the last time he didn't win 20 games with one of his teams. Even when you think they are going to be down he manages to win. It's unbelievable

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Bigtimebasketballfan on November 28, 2016, 08:28:16 pm
Mark whitmire has to be up there with the others. Tell me the last time he didn't win 20 games with one of his teams. Even when you think they are going to be down he manages to win. It's unbelievable

I agree

godeep

Missco my order  1. Gross 2. Gathen 3. Whitmore 4. Wembley   Think thats fair.  If we did NEA coaches those top 3 only ones on that  list 

Ghs21

Gosnell vs Harrisburg tonight. Gosnell played a lot of people last night

OB11

How is the new coach at Gosnell doing?  I see that they have won some games.

Ghs21

Quote from: OB11 on November 29, 2016, 10:37:08 am
How is the new coach at Gosnell doing?  I see that they have won some games.
There first game was last night. He seems like a pretty good coach . They play a very fast up tempo game and play a lot of players.

OB11

Quote from: Ghs21 on November 29, 2016, 12:50:02 pm
There first game was last night. He seems like a pretty good coach . They play a very fast up tempo game and play a lot of players.

My bad...I thought I had seen a couple of scores for them.  Must have been girls scores.  Hope he works out for them.  I know it can be tough for a young coach in that position. 

Hornet fan1

So did Gosnell win last night . Thinking tonight that Harrisburg and Gosnell should be a very good game . The Hornets are much improved from last year . They return 4 starters from last year and have a good bench .

Ghs21

Quote from: Hornet fan1 on November 29, 2016, 02:45:23 pm
So did Gosnell win last night . Thinking tonight that Harrisburg and Gosnell should be a very good game . The Hornets are much improved from last year . They return 4 starters from last year and have a good bench .
yes they won

Missco

Gosnell squeaks one out against Harrisburg 86-85. The hornets have improved a lot. They are not bad but will have a tough road in the 3A/4A combined. 

Hornet fan1

From what I was told if not for a few bad calls this game would have went the other way . But that is the way the ball bounces not complaining about the loss . If Harrisburg is going have a tough road in this conference so will Gosnell . I am still very proud of the Hornets they have made major strides from last year . They have started the season at 6-1 this combined conference really means nothing . I do believe that this conference will make all the 4 A teams a lot stronger come district . So hopefully they can finish in the top 4 and get a regional bid for the fiarst time in many years . Coach Robinson has done a great job with this Jr and Sr class . There are good things coming for the Hornets this year .

ballislife101

Quote from: Hornet fan1 on November 30, 2016, 07:14:52 am
From what I was told if not for a few bad calls this game would have went the other way . But that is the way the ball bounces not complaining about the loss . If Harrisburg is going have a tough road in this conference so will Gosnell . I am still very proud of the Hornets they have made major strides from last year . They have started the season at 6-1 this combined conference really means nothing . I do believe that this conference will make all the 4 A teams a lot stronger come district . So hopefully they can finish in the top 4 and get a regional bid for the fiarst time in many years . Coach Robinson has done a great job with this Jr and Sr class . There are good things coming for the Hornets this year .

Gosnell had a terrible game, you could tell their team just got back from football season. Now to say there were a few bad calls that could've made the game go the other way would be incorrect. Gosnell had 23 fouls in the first half compared to Harrisburg's i think 11. Gosnell and Harrisburg both had 11 in the second half i do believe, this game was a well hard fought game and Harrisburg as improved a lot.

Hornet fan1

November 30, 2016, 08:09:58 am #41 Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:00:04 pm by Hornet fan1
The 3rd quarter is what killed Harrisburg they got out scored 31 to 16. Lead after the 1st 18-9 lead at halftime 40-32 . Sothe 3rd quarter was big in this game . They had there chance with 1.1 secs left but only hit the front end of a 1 and 1 . Harrisburg will not be the push over everyone is used to this year .

Missco

it is great that Harrisburg is good for once. The jury is still out on Gosnell, considering that they have only had 1 practice before the Harrisburg game, I think they did fair against HHS. They will be ok in the end. Gosnell always is.

ISU7

biglion1985

From what I heard Riverside beat Gosnell 84-70

Nomad1324

Quote from: ISU7 on December 07, 2016, 12:41:54 am
Crest beat the Burg pretty good last night.

They got a lot of young talent over at Rivercrest, don't they?

fresh_prince

What is your opinions of mixing the conferences?

OB11

Quote from: fresh_prince on December 07, 2016, 10:54:37 pm
What is your opinions of mixing the conferences?

I think it just depends on the individual team.  This 3A/4A combined conference in particular brings together two very good conferences.  So I think these teams are seeing better competition night in and night out.  That's not necessarily the case for all schools though. 

If you're a very good team in a different part of the state and you get blended with a weak conference, I think it could hurt you during the post season because it limits you on how many non conference games you can schedule.  A lot of good teams in weak conferences would schedule high quality ooc opponents because they didn't get tested in conference.  This new blended conference system does away with a lot of that and limits the opportunity to schedule tougher opponents and opponents from other parts of the state.   

luxora4life

Quote from: Nomad1324 on December 07, 2016, 12:53:01 pm
They got a lot of young talent over at Rivercrest, don't they?

Started 1 senior against Harrisburg Tuesday night (1 Fr., 2 Sop., and 1 Jr.) 

Nomad1324

Quote from: luxora4life on December 08, 2016, 10:07:16 am
Started 1 senior against Harrisburg Tuesday night (1 Fr., 2 Sop., and 1 Jr.)

Guess they're setting up for another big run of postseason success.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas