• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Live United Texarkana Bowl

Started by pathos, October 01, 2013, 04:06:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pathos

The announcement was made today regarding the creation of the Live United Texarkana Bowl, which will feature the top team from the GAC that doesn't make the playoffs, and another team from either the LSC or the MIAA. More information here:

http://gacsports.org/news/2013/10/1/FB_1001135025.aspx

Busman

Sounds great on paper. If an Arkadelphia School or SAU get there and they play an east Texas team, you might get a few people there. If it ends up being an Oklahoma school and a west Texas school, might be more than few empty seats.

Valleysports

What sounds great about?  Guess it's another game for the GAC Team that didn't make the Playoffs?  I've never been to Arkansas High Stadium - Nice?  Travel Location is pretty good......  Dumb Name.  Red River United Bowl sounds better.  Help me get on board here?

Now that GAC Teams are playing the same teams as the University of Arkansas, I was hoping for the other Razorback Stadium.   ::)

Busman

What sounds great? Another game for students that had a great year, but did not make the playoffs.  Unlike DI, the D2 season ends early because of the playoffs, so just as the real end of the year excitement for football gets rolling, most D2 schools are through before Thanksgiving.

pathos

Quote from: Busman on October 02, 2013, 08:20:43 amWhat sounds great? Another game for students that had a great year, but did not make the playoffs.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I don't know how it's all going to work out, but I'll take an extra game of football anytime.

Valleysports

Quote from: Busman on October 02, 2013, 08:20:43 am
What sounds great? Another game for students that had a great year, but did not make the playoffs.  Unlike DI, the D2 season ends early because of the playoffs, so just as the real end of the year excitement for football gets rolling, most D2 schools are through before Thanksgiving.

No argument here, was just curious if there was anything that sounded great, other than just another game.  I don't think it'll last in Texarkana....

Busman

On Google earth, stadium looks as good as most D2 stadiums. Parking looks limited.

Valleysports

My thoughts are more about who will be attending?  DII is non existent across E Texas, not much of a following.  Magnolia & Arkadelphia are the nearest schools.  It'll be a road game for both teams - parents,  maybe a few fans.  Think it would be better at one of the two teams home field or something.  I'm not a fan of United Way, because of the fraud & their battle with Boy Scouts over going homosexual anyway.

Busman

I am Bicentennial Bowl veteran. Don't have to tell me about playing a D2 (NAIA back then) game in late November after not making the playoffs in rain/sleet in front of 53,000 empty seats at War Memorial Stadium.

Valleysports

What did you think as a player?  I just loved playing, so I wouldn't have cared if fans were there or not.  Sometimes you're ready for the season to be over, especially if you're beat up or during the Holidays.
What's a Bicentennial Bowl?  Game you played in 1976, I take it?

DerekOxford

Razorback Stadium is a nice stadium for a 6A school in Arkansas.

The game should probably draw about the same amount of people who attend a Texas High/Arkansas High game when it's played there. And it has turf.

The_Pioneer

If Tech were to make that game, I might just drive down and watch.

Maynard G Krebs

Just heard the winning team gets a new set of Cooper tires for the team's bus.

Busman

Yes, the Bicennetenial Bowl was played the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 1975 at War Memorial Stadium between Henderson, co-champ of the AIC and the Champion of the Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference on a cold, rainy, icy day in front of about 3,000 folks. Was supposed to be a two year bowl, but after the first one was such a resounding success (LOL), the second one didn't make it. Also, about that time, the NAIA expanded it's playoff format to include 16 teams, so bowl games were not really practical. As late as 1973, it was only a four-team playoff.

Texarkana_Piggie

Harding and Texas a&m commerce are playing next Saturday. I will be working the concession stand. Fun fun. They are expecting about 5000 for the game.  Proceeds benefit united way.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas