• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Robert Brown to Step Down at ATU

Started by bleudog, August 23, 2013, 04:00:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

x14113

May the discussions on his lasting legacy commence in 3...2...1...

The_Pioneer

Not sure about his legacy, but he was Pres when I was a student.  Looking at the campus now compared to when I was there, I have to think he has done a great job.

x14113

Make no mistake, Brown's impact at Tech will be felt for years, if not decades.  The current look of the campus, still in the midst of a metamorphosisj going 15 years and counting, can be largely attributed to his persistence.  It is certainly a far cry from the years when the place was almost always broke.

Then again, the state of things prior to his arrival could explain one key facet to his methodology--Dr. Brown had a clear disdain for particular things that he felt would put Tech in a bad light.  Said disdain, however, antagonized certain factions within the university.  Fine arts students, in particular, thought rather little of Dr. Brown, especially since several high-profile controversies involved departments within the SLFA/CAH.  The Theatre dept. got the worst of it, from having a production canceled on them due to other high-profile events to even having their entire facility shut down on short notice.  OTOH, the Art Dept. was finally moved out of that sardine can in the middle of campus, which was long overdue.

Let's see what Brown's successor will bring to the table.

The_Pioneer

It would seem to me that Tech wasn't particularly known for the Fine Arts.  The exploding enrollment would point to me that his efforts have been the correct direction.

x14113

Quote from: The_Pioneer on September 04, 2013, 06:35:01 pm
It would seem to me that Tech wasn't particularly known for the Fine Arts.

Anyone who has watched halftime at Buerkle in the not-too-distant past would beg to differ.

The_Pioneer

Valleysports

September 04, 2013, 08:28:57 pm #7 Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:16:56 am by Valleysports
Quote from: x14113 on September 04, 2013, 04:15:03 pm
Then again, the state of things prior to his arrival could explain one key facet to his methodology--Dr. Brown had a clear disdain for particular things that he felt would put Tech in a bad light.  Said disdain, however, antagonized certain factions within the university.  Fine arts students, in particular, thought rather little of Dr. Brown, especially since several high-profile controversies involved departments within the SLFA/CAH.  The Theatre dept. got the worst of it, from having a production canceled on them due to other high-profile events to even having their entire facility shut down on short notice.  OTOH, the Art Dept. was finally moved out of that sardine can in the middle of campus, which was long overdue.

Theater was probably not one of his top priorities. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on September 04, 2013, 08:28:57 pm
Quote from: x14113 on September 04, 2013, 04:15:03 pm

Dr Brown was a grunt football player, theater was probably not one of his top priorities. 

Tech has/had a theater department? Since when? Think I seen in the Tech Paper last semester that the theater department had 12 students that majored in what they offered....I knew a few that took the classes as part of their electives though...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas