• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Osceola

Started by Mr.Fridaynight11, April 15, 2014, 11:33:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Fridaynight11

What happened to The Osceola Seminoles? When I was playing ball, they were a good ball club, that seemed to do pretty good in the playoffs each year.

OB11

The program went through a coaching change a few years back and just hasn't been the same since then.  Not saying anything negative about the current coaching situation or the coaches.  Just saying that coaching changes are a very delicate time for a program and I'm not sure that program rebounded very well from the change. 

Razorhummer

No doubt. When Clinton Gore left and also the town lost some industry as well the Seminole took a hard hit. Just like Newport for example. When Bill Keedy retired and the major factories closed down in the late 90's, the Greyhounds took a big hit and have went through several coaches and going from 90 players on a roster to now if there lucky to have 50. The Seminoles will be back but it'll just take time.

OB11

The new steel mill in the works should help out a bit.  May be a while before there is any influx of kids from that though. 

Tarheel2012

I disagree with both of you. Because jobs close it's doors doesn't affect the football program at Osceola. That town is full of talent. It's having the ability to coach and discipline the boys. I honestly think it's not a coach job to sit and discipline someone else kid. Kids today have no respect and not wanting to succeed. It's all about the streets and swag in Osceola. I think it starts at home and then with the kid. Parents have to see the talent and keep them on a straight path. I also blame the coaches. I went to one game. The quarterback was having a horrible game in the 1st half. I never seen anyone of the coaches go to the kid. Not either to coach his wrong doing or lift is spirit. Tell me that's not poor coaching. I hope the program rises again. Coaches willing to coach and players having the drive to want to succeed.

Razorhummer

Wrong! It does affect the program in a big way. I don't know about Osceola but I can tell you all about Newport. Back before all the factories shutdown and moved out of Newport the Hounds always had somewhere around 80-90 players on there roster and also a lot of talent. When them factories shutdown you had families moving to Searcy, Jonesboro and even our old rival Batesville to find jobs so Newport lost a lot from that and having 50 players on a roster at Newport is good these days and the talent is not as strong as it was since a lot of families left Newport.

Radiotalker

Quote from: Razorhummer on June 06, 2014, 09:24:00 am
Wrong! It does affect the program in a big way. I don't know about Osceola but I can tell you all about Newport. Back before all the factories shutdown and moved out of Newport the Hounds always had somewhere around 80-90 players on there roster and also a lot of talent. When them factories shutdown you had families moving to Searcy, Jonesboro and even our old rival Batesville to find jobs so Newport lost a lot from that and having 50 players on a roster at Newport is good these days and the talent is not as strong as it was since a lot of families left Newport.

I agree,  also the right of choice on where you attend school plays a part.

Razorhummer

Quote from: Radiotalker on June 10, 2014, 02:46:36 pm

I agree,  also the right of choice on where you attend school plays a part.
Exactly!

AirWarren

With all the new jobs heading that direction, do you expect the town to see some growth and head back towards 4A level in the next few years?

Razorhummer

They should but yet again I'm not from Osceola. Newport has had a few new jobs but we still are one of the smallest class 4a schools.

adaptedtigerfan

Drove by newports new field on the way to A State camp last week...... Looking great!

Razorhummer

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on June 16, 2014, 05:19:46 am
Drove by newports new field on the way to A State camp last week...... Looking great!
Yeah since I live in Grubbs, work in Jonesboro and I don't get out to Newport very much but I did take a look at the new field and it looks awesome. Hope the Hounds can top it off with a state championship this upcoming season.

OB11

Quote from: AirWarren on June 13, 2014, 01:24:54 pm
With all the new jobs heading that direction, do you expect the town to see some growth and head back towards 4A level in the next few years?

If it does happen it will be 3-4 cycles from now.  Things will have to change big time not only in Osceola but Mississippi County.  People just don't want to move to Osceola or Miss co.  The jobs are heading that direction but not people moving there necessarily.  Like Nucor in Blytheville, a lot of the people that actually work there drive from all over the place to get to work every day. 

Radiotalker

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 25, 2014, 05:46:24 pm

If it does happen it will be 3-4 cycles from now.  Things will have to change big time not only in Osceola but Mississippi County.  People just don't want to move to Osceola or Miss co.  The jobs are heading that direction but not people moving there necessarily.  Like Nucor in Blytheville, a lot of the people that actually work there drive from all over the place to get to work every day.

Where you live has nothing to do with where you go to school.

OB11

Quote from: Radiotalker on June 25, 2014, 09:14:40 pm
Quote from: OliverBoy11 on June 25, 2014, 05:46:24 pm

Where you live has nothing to do with where you go to school.

No, not necessarily.  But I guarantee you the people that live in Dyersburg or Missouri somewhere and work at Nucor aren't dropping their kids off at BHS every morning.  All I'm saying is even with jobs coming to Osceola, parents will find other schools for their kids to attend.  The jobs won't up the school numbers in my opinion.   

Uncle Ivan

Not to mention Billy Keedy getting half his team out of jail every Friday afternoon.

When that stopped, Newport's program went into decline.

Razorhummer

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 25, 2014, 11:56:41 pm

Not to mention Billy Keedy getting half his team out of jail every Friday afternoon.

When that stopped, Newport's program went into decline.
Only after they graduated but the reason why the program went on a decline is that the Hounds have went through 6 coaching changes since then with Brannon being there the longest for 5 seasons and now Harrison is actually our 7th coach going into his 2nd season as the Hounds head coach and also our number have dropped as well since the economic growth is not so great like Osceola is going through. I know a lot of people I use to work with when Quad Graphics shut down and most of them live in Jonesboro and work at Nucor.

FD4

A caller on a talk show had this to say about Fed-X in Memphis.  They send out transports daily to bus in workers from as far away Jackson Tennessee and Jackson Mississippi and the like.  It seemed in over a Million population in the area, they could not get enough personel that could pass either a background check nor a drug test to work there.  That is a problem.  Osceola could be facing some of the same syndrom where jobs are concerned.  Most of the little industry left in Wynne drug test at random in the work place, mine included.  This is a problem that must be stopped for the kids sake.  Where do  you start?  School? Home? Workplace? or Jail?

FD4

To keep from being biased, Wynne is no exception either.  We have much of the same problems in the drug area as anywhere.  I hope the best for both Osceola and Newport.  They are as I consider, sister cities to Wynne.  Our future will be the hands of the young men a women graduating each year.  Good luck this season Noles, Hounds.

Radiotalker

Please keep in mind the largest impact of employment will be in the construction where we are hearing numbers like over 500, but when operational the plant won't employee near that number. Saw that with the coal buring power plant.

FD4

Well, at least there will be some jobs available.  I'm sure there are still plenty of skilled tradesmen and women around the area.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas