• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren

Started by GotInfo?, February 02, 2015, 03:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jking7

I don't want to say for sure but so far all I've heard is that Drew Cone is making the hire.. And yes I have also heard he himself may be a candidate.

Okieback

When are they planning on hiring a supe?
This could put the coaching search on hold, a lot of supes want to make that hire. Head football is usually the biggest hire a supe and principal will make in their careers.

Tripod1

Quote from: Okieback on February 27, 2015, 07:41:03 am
When are they planning on hiring a supe?
This could put the coaching search on hold, a lot of supes want to make that hire. Head football is usually the biggest hire a supe and principal will make in their careers.
I was told the Superintendent hire won't be till after spring break.  I too have heard rumor only that Cone may apply for the HC job.

Okieback

So would that mean this football hire will be a few weeks after the supe hire?
So April?

Tigerdad2

Sounds like Cone might be hiring himself

Okieback

jking7

February 27, 2015, 06:36:21 pm #156 Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:38:39 pm by jking7
If Drew Cone Takes the job I would be very happy. I'm just not sure he wants to leave his administration job but who knows.

Tigerdad2

Who will be running the team until then

jking7

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on February 27, 2015, 07:41:36 pm
Who will be running the team until then
I've been told Coach Ross has been leading the off season work outs since Coatney left.

Okieback

Sorry
I'm not familiar with the staff, which one is coach Ross .

'Nother question, who all will be attracted to this job ?

Tigerdad2

I really don't many, now that Cone is the guy they want

Okieback

So it's a slam dunk they want come back? And he's the activities coordinator?

AT

Quote from: Okieback on February 28, 2015, 12:10:14 am
Sorry
I'm not familiar with the staff, which one is coach Ross .

'Nother question, who all will be attracted to this job ?

Coach Ross has been an offensive coach for the Pointers for the past few years. I'm not sure if he is the offensive coordinator or not (although Coach Coatney probably called the plays either way).

Coach Ross was Alma's offensive coordinator for a short time.

As for attracted to the job, there's no telling. People who enjoy a rebuilding job and are passionate about wanting VAN BUREN to do well, and not getting down when the chips are down because that's going to happen.

Coach Cone/Mr. Cone is not a slam dunk by any means. Just the name I've heard the most.

I believe a lot of where the direction of the football team as a whole goes will be dependent on this superintendent hire.

jking7

February 28, 2015, 01:46:54 pm #163 Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 01:51:02 pm by jking7
You could say Ross was the offensive coordinator but like you said Coatney called the plays so Ross was really just a asst. Cone is just a rumor that I feel has been started by fans. As far as I know Cone has said nothing about wanting the job. The future of the football program  will be affected alot by the coach they hire and the upcoming school bored election If your a pointer fan you hope that people who understand sports/are not anti-sports gets voted in. As far as the superintendent goes I have been hearing the interim tag may be taken off.

Okieback

Vb needs a supe
About to have school board election
And the activities coordinator may or may not want the job?

I hate to say this, but that may scare a lot of folks off, Especially if anti sports people as u say might get elected.

hornet89

So Van Buren is considering a guy who was unable to get along with the former Coach and was reassigned.

Tigerdad2

I guess so, I'm realizing very few jobs are actually OPEN, 90 percent of schools usually have someone picked before they interview people. I just hope that  people interviewing get a fair chance

jking7

Cone's name has been thrown around by fans.. Im not sure If anybody has confirmed that he Is the top guy for the job and like I've said before Im not sure he would even want to take the job and leave his administration position.. But yes he Is the guy who did not get along with Coatney a few years ago.

Okieback

Double interesting

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hornet89 on March 01, 2015, 06:35:01 pm
So Van Buren is considering a guy who was unable to get along with the former Coach and was reassigned.
I don't think Cone coached under Coatney.  I could be wrong.  Cone did the junior high coaching while he worked on getting into administration.

jking7

March 02, 2015, 09:10:45 am #170 Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 09:12:58 am by jking7
Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 02, 2015, 08:48:42 am
Quote from: hornet89 on March 01, 2015, 06:35:01 pm
I don't think Cone coached under Coatney.  I could be wrong.  Cone did the junior high coaching while he worked on getting into administration.
that's correct that Cone was not on the highschool stuff but it was the summer workouts where all the kids were together and that's when Cone and Coatney did not get along. I don't know all the details but I just heard they had more then one disagreement. With that being said I'm pretty sure that's not why Cone left coaching. He just wanted an admin position.

Okieback

Doesn't matter
If a guy is on junior hi staff then he coaches under the head coach
Boss is always right
If they had a disagreement it should have been handled behind closed doors
Not where people on a message board are
Discussing it

jking7

Quote from: Okieback on March 02, 2015, 09:13:22 am
Doesn't matter
If a guy is on junior hi staff then he coaches under the head coach
Boss is always right
If they had a disagreement it should have been handled behind closed doors
Not where people on a message board are
Discussing it
. I agree but with that being said it was just what players at the time were saying so who knows how overblown they made it.. Then again if that's the case then maybe I should not have brought it up at all right?

Okieback

Well
Kids can blow stuff out of proportion, especially if they don't like one of the individuals involved, not saying that's the case, but it happens.

jking7

jking7

Quote from: Okieback on March 02, 2015, 10:07:24 am
Well
Kids can blow stuff out of proportion, especially if they don't like one of the individuals involved, not saying that's the case, but it happens.
I sent you a PM btw.

GotInfo?

Have they posted the job yet?

jking7

They are officially looking at applications.. I read it in the times record yesterday.

Okieback

Did it have any names?

jking7

Grizzlyfan

Many in Crawford County are convinced it's going to be Cone.  Just as many are convinced there no way that happens.

jking7

Exactly.. Just a wait and see at this point.

win one

jking7

I have heard nothing so far except people saying who they want as the coach.. But as far as a rumor for who's taking the job I've heard nothing.

Pigheaded

Quote from: Okieback on March 02, 2015, 10:07:24 am
Well

Cone and Coatney "disagreed" in the sense that Coatney wanted the jr high to run a smilar offense to the sr high. Cone wanted something a bit different.

hornet89

Then he should have ran the offense Coatney wanted.  That is a no brainer in every sense of the word.  Junior High Teams should run exactly what the Head Coach wants or there will never be success.  That is a huge red flag if that was the problem.

Okieback

Ok
Everybody knows they are taking apps, but is this job even listed anywhere ?

Or is it only listed in the ft smith paper ?
Cause if that's the case, they already know who they want.

jking7

I'm hearing they know who they want. Just has not been made public yet.

Lionheart88

Quote from: hornet89 on March 11, 2015, 08:50:25 am
Then he should have ran the offense Coatney wanted.  That is a no brainer in every sense of the word.  Junior High Teams should run exactly what the Head Coach wants or there will never be success.  That is a huge red flag if that was the problem.
There's a good point in there, but there can be good reasons for variance.  Any good coach knows that if you want to win you adapt your system to the athletes you've got.  Heck, even I know that.  If the junior high doesn't have the same mix of athletes the high school does, then a competent coach will be tailoring his system to them when they hit the high school, so why not go ahead and tailor it to them earlier?  Now, the HS HC should work with the 8/9 HC as to how to modify it, but some modification can be a good thing.

Also, consider VB's high school team; they haven't been more than average in years.  You can't always run a system as successfully in junior high as you can in high school, for a variety of reasons.  A high-quality high school program like Greenwood can have the 8/9s run the same system and not give a flip whether or not they lose.  The kids know the high school team is good, so more will push through and develop even if it means taking a beating for a while.  If middle school/junior high kids know they don't have that sort of success to look forward to, they're more likely to call it quits before they get to the high school.  Why take a pounding in MS if it's not even really going to pay off down the road?  This can lead to a death spiral like North Pulaski's been in the last few years, numbers steadily declining and only reinforcing the narrative that it's not worth sticking around.  For a team like that, the 8th & 9th teams need to do what works.  Build some success, get the kids to stick around and enjoy the program, then you'll build the HS program up from that base.  Learning a new system isn't ideal but it's better than having 2/3rds the kids who know the system but are demoralized because they haven't been running it successfully.

sprtsfan

Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 11, 2015, 02:27:11 pm
There's a good point in there, but there can be good reasons for variance.  Any good coach knows that if you want to win you adapt your system to the athletes you've got.  Heck, even I know that.  If the junior high doesn't have the same mix of athletes the high school does, then a competent coach will be tailoring his system to them when they hit the high school, so why not go ahead and tailor it to them earlier?  Now, the HS HC should work with the 8/9 HC as to how to modify it, but some modification can be a good thing.

Also, consider VB's high school team; they haven't been more than average in years.  You can't always run a system as successfully in junior high as you can in high school, for a variety of reasons.  A high-quality high school program like Greenwood can have the 8/9s run the same system and not give a flip whether or not they lose.  The kids know the high school team is good, so more will push through and develop even if it means taking a beating for a while.  If middle school/junior high kids know they don't have that sort of success to look forward to, they're more likely to call it quits before they get to the high school.  Why take a pounding in MS if it's not even really going to pay off down the road?  This can lead to a death spiral like North Pulaski's been in the last few years, numbers steadily declining and only reinforcing the narrative that it's not worth sticking around.  For a team like that, the 8th & 9th teams need to do what works.  Build some success, get the kids to stick around and enjoy the program, then you'll build the HS program up from that base.  Learning a new system isn't ideal but it's better than having 2/3rds the kids who know the system but are demoralized because they haven't been running it successfully.

The former JH coach in question went 10-0 his last season also....

jking7

Quote from: sprtsfan on March 11, 2015, 02:34:44 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 11, 2015, 02:27:11 pm

The former JH coach in question went 10-0 his last season also....
.  Indeed he did. He is also really wanted by fans to take the job as the VB head coach. I don't know if he will but it's the talk of the town right now.

Okieback

Everything I've read says they have won in middle and fresh like the last 5 years, so why has that not transferred to hs?
Like I said before player development.  Weight room , wt room, WEIGHT room!

Tigerdad2

I know a JR. High Coach who is 44-6 in the last 5 seasons with an 10-0 season.
Should he apply for the job?

jking7

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on March 11, 2015, 07:53:34 pm
I know a JR. High Coach who is 44-6 in the last 5 seasons with an 10-0 season.
Should he apply for the job?
If he wants. Lol

AT

I've heard it's all but official now.

I think it's a bold move and a good one for Van Buren. Pick someone passionate about VB even if experience isn't a strong suit.

jking7

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 11, 2015, 08:56:04 pm
I've heard it's all but official now.

I think it's a bold move and a good one for Van Buren. Pick someone passionate about VB even if experience isn't a strong suit.
.   Agreed!

Tigerdad2

Yea it's obvious now since the job has never been posted.

jking7

Yeah pretty much..

Tripod1

Maybe he will stay for the long haul now and the revolving door will stop.  That is the only way the pointers will become competitive again. 

Grizzlyfan

I assume you guys are talking about Cone.  I hope he didn't this out of sympathy for the situation and the program.  Everyone knows he wanted to be in administration.  If this is just a couple of year deal it will do more harm than good.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas