• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Arkansas basketball

Started by beach bum, November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Romeo on November 28, 2015, 02:43:48 pm
When it comes to college sports, recruiting is the lifeblood of a program. If you can't recruit, you will not win. Simple as that. On rare occasions, you have coaches with actual talent that underachieve (i.e. Memphis). What we'll see with Arkansas this season is the result when you lose your best players to the NBA and are left with players that no other big time schools heavily wanted.
Yep and we can't even get the big time recruits in our backyard...that speaks volumes...

bdubyab60

We didn't have as good a shot at Monk as many might think. We aren't the only ones losing hometown kids to out of state schools.

Get rid of MA and then who's coming in? Really. Name one coach that would been able to keep Mink in state against Kentucky

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2015, 11:14:22 pm
We didn't have as good a shot at Monk as many might think. We aren't the only ones losing hometown kids to out of state schools.

Get rid of MA and then who's coming in? Really. Name one coach that would been able to keep Mink in state against Kentucky
Gruden...

bdubyab60

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 29, 2015, 12:28:56 pm

Gruden...
I could see that lol

Coach Venny Slocombe

Arkansas won the other night...anybody care? Wake tonight...anybody out there?

WPWells

Coach Venny Slocombe

WPWells

I'm kinda done with Arkansas basketball this year. I'll be bored for the month between football and baseball

mack

Pretty good win last night against a decent team.  If we shoot well, we'll be in a lot of games.  if we don't, we'll  get killed.

Here's to shooters!

BTW, watched Miami and Florida last night as well.  Florida plays a lot like we do.  NLR's   Kevaughan Allen looked pretty bad......

beach bum

I would like to get to at least 7 conference wins... I can dream right? And that was a solid performance last night.

WPWells

Evansville has the highest rating of any team we've played so far. Pretty good win

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 09, 2015, 09:09:24 am
Pretty good win last night against a decent team.  If we shoot well, we'll be in a lot of games.  if we don't, we'll  get killed.

Here's to shooters!

BTW, watched Miami and Florida last night as well.  Florida plays a lot like we do.  NLR's   Kevaughan Allen looked pretty bad......

Someone posted some shooting stats on him on HV the other day, definitely struggling, but he hasn't quit shooting!

mack

Man, we just lost two NBA quality players.  The lure of easy money cost us 2 more contributors from last year's team.  MA is not God, he can't be expected to not take a step back with that type of attrition.  None of it was his fault. 

I just want to watch this year's team and enjoy how hard they play.

ricepig

Quote from: mack on December 09, 2015, 10:16:24 am
Man, we just lost two NBA quality players.  The lure of easy money cost us 2 more contributors from last year's team.  MA is not God, he can't be expected to not take a step back with that type of attrition.  None of it was his fault. 

Are you crazy Mack?? He should have had four 4* lined up and ready to go, any good coach would have done that.............sarcasm/off.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2015, 11:20:10 am

Are you crazy Mack?? He should have had four 4* lined up and ready to go, any good coach would have done that.............sarcasm/off.

Ha you old rice grower you.....  I know, I know... any 4-5 star recruit out there is chomping at the bit to come to Fayetteville, AR to play basketball. 

Hootie

The fact that some are disappointed when this team loses a game.... This team is awful and we all knew it was coming. I'm with Mack, as long as I see the effort Mike demands then I can appreciate that. Go Hogs!

ricepig

Quote from: Hootie on December 09, 2015, 03:08:17 pm
The fact that some are disappointed when this team loses a game.... This team is awful and we all knew it was coming. I'm with Mack, as long as I see the effort Mike demands then I can appreciate that. Go Hogs!

Yeah, I'm not expecting much, but was very disappointed in the 21-1 run at the end of the Stanford game. I attribute that to coaching.

Romeo

Its not hard to recruit somewhere when you have the right coach that knows how to recruit. I think most people would say Starkville, Mississippi is arguably the least desirable place to go in the SEC. Yet, Ben Howland, who's been on the job for about nine months, has gotten six four star players to commit or sign with Miss. St and was able to keep Malik Newman, a five star player and the tenth overall prospect in the country, from going to Kentucky.

Can you honestly say if Bill Self was the coach at Arkansas that it would have been that easy of a  choice for Malik to go to Kentucky?

Coach Venny Slocombe

MA doesn't recruit well Rice, face it. We should have been deeper and we should have had plans knowing those two were going NBA...MA is a descent coach, but not a good recruiter.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 09, 2015, 06:19:41 pm

MA doesn't recruit well Rice, face it. We should have been deeper and we should have had plans knowing those two were going NBA...MA is a descent coach, but not a good recruiter.

Well, if you believe some of those in the know, they both were coming back, I have no idea. We have a good class for next year, but that's next year. I think he needs a young recruiter, and I realize TJ is that guy, but is he really? Maybe Watkins will retire when Manny graduates and he can hire another recruiter.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2015, 06:51:15 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 09, 2015, 06:19:41 pm

Well, if you believe some of those in the know, they both were coming back, I have no idea. We have a good class for next year, but that's next year. I think he needs a young recruiter, and I realize TJ is that guy, but is he really? Maybe Watkins will retire when Manny graduates and he can hire another recruiter.
I didn't know there was a chance for Portis and Qualls to come back...

Hootie

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2015, 03:29:18 pm
Quote from: Hootie on December 09, 2015, 03:08:17 pm

Yeah, I'm not expecting much, but was very disappointed in the 21-1 run at the end of the Stanford game. I attribute that to coaching.

That was downright awful too I watched it live.

Romeo

Starting to like how this team is playing as of late. Even though we lost to Wake Forest, we had a good performance. Durham looks good and has very few turnovers. The bigs are playing well and Hannahs and Bell are shooting the ball well.

WPWells

There isn't just a ton of talent, but man no one can discount the effort that this team plays with

mack

Quote from: Stewie on December 13, 2015, 12:44:57 pm
There isn't just a ton of talent, but man no one can discount the effort that this team plays with

Right on...

Hootie

Quote from: Stewie on December 13, 2015, 12:44:57 pm

Mike's style rewards effort too. Controlled effort but nonetheless, effort. You cannot replace hustle.

Romeo

The UALR basketball team just might end up some taking attention from Arkansas this season. For basketball purists they're a fun team to watch. Great team ball and defensive play. The Trojans are currently undefeated at 9-0 and are ranked number one in the country in scoring defense.

beach bum

December 16, 2015, 10:36:09 pm #77 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:39:57 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Romeo on December 16, 2015, 10:30:18 pm
The UALR basketball team just might end up some taking attention from Arkansas this season. For basketball purists they're a fun team to watch. Great team ball and defensive play. The Trojans are currently undefeated at 9-0 and are ranked number one in the country in scoring defense.

I actually came across them for the first time today.... no juggernaut wins but a few on there were very good wins. I will be rooting for them to win their regular season conference title and the tournament to get a NCAA bid. The wins on the road against San Diego State, Tulsa, and Depaul(the last one by 22 points) were very nice wins.

SUGARTOWN

You mean the Little Rock Trojans, they no longer go by Arkansas-Little Rock.  :)

Lionheart88

December 17, 2015, 11:17:26 am #79 Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:22:40 pm by Lionheart88
They're the team that represents UALR.  Every player on the team attends UALR.  Every coach and staff member on the team is employed by UALR.  People are going to call them UALR.  Why would you not want to use the name your school?

Romeo

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on December 17, 2015, 10:59:06 am

You mean the Little Rock Trojans, they no longer go by Arkansas-Little Rock.  :)

His mama named him Clay, I'mma call him Clay.

VHSCoach2

Anyone who has been to a Razorback basketball game before:

How long before tip do they usually open the doors?

I'm heading to NLR tonight to watch the game against Mercer, which starts at 7.

ricepig

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on December 19, 2015, 12:36:11 pm
Anyone who has been to a Razorback basketball game before:

How long before tip do they usually open the doors?

I'm heading to NLR tonight to watch the game against Mercer, which starts at 7.

I want to say 90 minutes, but I've never been that early. I usually try to be in my seat 10minutes before tip.

WPWells

BrianfromCarlisle

AirWarren

Pokey03

Another bad loss for the Razorbacks, these used to be automatic at BWA, on a brighter note glad to see Beard back a little rusty

AirWarren

Mike had nothing to work with right now.

Pokey03

Quote from: AirWarren on December 19, 2015, 09:23:42 pm
I've always respected MA, with him the expectations are always gonna be higher, being linked to those great memories of past, your right the talent level just isn't there, but hopefully with 3 of the top 5 juco recruits already committed it has to get better. We have to figure out a way to keep top in state talent though (Kevaugh Allen, Malik Monk) that what concerns me most, we have to get these guys in our own backyard before others will come along

WPWells

Y'all are acting like Mercer is a sister of the poor. They aren't a bad team. We should've beaten them, but they aren't bad

Pokey03

Quote from: Stewie on December 19, 2015, 09:49:13 pm
Y'all are acting like Mercer is a sister of the poor. They aren't a bad team. We should've beaten them, but they aren't bad
They aren't bad, but they were scheduled as a cupcake win, before conference starts.

AirWarren

We should never lose to mercer. Period. Just like the football hogs should never lose to the citadel.

I'm willing to swallow a bad year. But will everyone else? Time will tell.

Pokey03

Quote from: AirWarren on December 19, 2015, 10:00:34 pm

We should never lose to mercer. Period. Just like the football hogs should never lose to the citadel.

I'm willing to swallow a bad year. But will everyone else? Time will tell.
+1, Akron and 20 point blown lead to Stanford? I think MA can turn it around, but recruiting is what's hurting, and kids thinking their ready before they actually are

WPWells

Pokey03

Quote from: Stewie on December 19, 2015, 10:23:42 pm
Duke lost to mercer two years ago
you can't compare them to now it was 2 years ago. That's like comparing Charleston this year to 2 years ago doesn't make any sense.

Romeo

And that's on him. Recruiting is just not his strong point.

WPWells

My comment about Duke losing to Mercer was in response to the notion that we should "never" lose to Mercer

BrianfromCarlisle

I think he recruits just fine. He has 3 of the top 5 jucos in the country coming in. If Monk isn't bought out, then that is a top 10 class next season and immediate threat. Those guys with what will come back will be a good team. MA couldn't possibly have expected what happened with Beard and Williams. Williams wasn't great on offense, but he played hard and was good in the system. All is not lost with this team. They can do some good things.

The NBA is what's wrong with college ball.  And what's wrong with themselves. The Pro game will be SO much better when the guys drafted can actually play and contribute.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Romeo on December 19, 2015, 11:35:45 pm

It's not really his fault some guys got themselves kicked off the team in the offseason.

Romeo

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 20, 2015, 09:10:47 am
Quote from: Romeo on December 19, 2015, 11:35:45 pm

It's not really his fault some guys got themselves kicked off the team in the offseason.

There's only been one player dismissed from the team in five years that Anderson has been here.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas