• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4A-1 Conference Play

Started by Ole Legend, December 21, 2015, 10:27:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nip/Tusk

It will take an off night from them and a good night for anyone else to knock them off.

Ole Legend

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 04, 2016, 08:47:55 pm
Every year the 4-4a is touted and it seems almost every year the 1-4 finds a way to split with them.

I know Prep will be very good having returned everyone from last year.

As I mentioned before the season, I though pea ridge would run away with the conference and district championship.

I could definitely see Pea Ridge and Huntsville making state with Berryville having an outside chance depending on who they draw. Gravette, Gentry and Shiloh would all have a very slim chance IMO. Pg just trying to keep their head above water and somehow make it to regionals. I'm afraid they've mailed it in.

I'm not real familiar with Ozark or Dover, but I know Pottsville has been good for several years with their coach.

It's always a fun time of year and anything can happen.

I will say the 4-4a is usually not good in girls, so the 1-4 will at least get 3 teams in maybe sweep.

For the boys, the 4-4A will probably have AB, Ozark, Dardnelle, and either Pottsville or Dover. Ozark is really good, they got a move in from Van Buren that is really good. AB is tough to beat because they have the big guys down low.

For the 1-4A, I think it'll be PR, Huntsville, Gentry, and PG making the Regional. Somehow PG always make a late in the season, and with the district tourney being there I see an upset happening.

I think that PR, Huntsville, AB, and Ozark will make the state tourney.

WPWells

Don't be surprised to see Subi pull an upset and make regional

Nip/Tusk

Good analysis Legend, but....

If pg makes the regional this year it will be a small miracle. They just don't have the scorers.

pridgehog

Quote from: Fred Bird on February 04, 2016, 11:48:45 pm
Don't be surprised to see Subi pull an upset and make regional
Fred, in talking to the folks at Pottsville, they say Subi plays great Man to Man Defense...

WPWells

They always have. I think their issue this year has been lack of scorers. They'll always play disciplined and guard the heck out of you which is what makes them so dangerous in a tournament

Nip/Tusk

February 05, 2016, 11:07:42 am #56 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:12:33 am by Josh Louin
If that 6'7 kid is double and tripled team and nobody can make a shot, what do you expect.

What would you do differently?

You seem very frustrated with the coaching. Have you voiced your concerns to him?

pridgehog

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 05, 2016, 11:07:42 am
If that 6'7 kid is double and tripled team and nobody can make a shot, what do you expect.

What would you do differently?

You seem very frustrated with the coaching. Have you voiced your concerns to him?
I think one of the issues with PG this year is, they lost three really good players off of last years team. It isn't coaching, they have a dang good coach who has proven himself. Cant go blaming coaches every time...

Nip/Tusk

Great point pr.  But that's the way of the world.

Everyone's got an opinion, but probably no schematic solution. And I also doubt anyone's got the stones to say anything man to man.

I think the pg coach has a tough job. Athletes all over the school, but basketball just isn't a priority. 40 times and vertical jumps don't mean much on the court unless you can put them to use with dribbling, shooting skills etc.

And he seems like a laid back guy which is totally opposite of their girls coach. A lot of people think if you aren't yelling, you're not coaching. Lol

Nip/Tusk

February 05, 2016, 11:37:55 am #59 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:47:02 am by Josh Louin
XTIGER:
"Not my job to voice concern to the coach, this is just my opinion. Seems a cop out to say the town is a football and baseball town. You can still coach and play as hard as you can"

But you feel it's your job to run someone down on the Internet?
Would you not agree pg is a football/baseball town?
On the effort comment, I totally agree. But what specifically have you seen that makes you believe the players and coaches are not playing and coaching as hard as they can?

(I'm not trying to gripe, I just hate seeing programs run down especially in small towns. A little support might go a long way)

pridgehog

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 05, 2016, 11:37:55 am
XTIGER:
"Not my job to voice concern to the coach, this is just my opinion. Seems a cop out to say the town is a football and baseball town. You can still coach and play as hard as you can"

But you feel it's your job to run someone down on the Internet?
Would you not agree pg is a football/baseball town?
On the effort comment, I totally agree. But what specifically have you seen that makes you believe the players and coaches are not playing and coaching as hard as they can?

(I'm not trying to gripe, I just hate seeing programs run down especially in small towns. A little support might go a long way)
guys, DO YOU BUILD A GYMNASIUM that is second to none if you are viewed as not a Basketball school? I disagree on that and I think many would. Who has had more overall success in the League in Basketball over the past 6 or 7 years. Not many guys...

Nip/Tusk

You do bring up a good point pr.

Could just be a down year.

Ole Legend

PR goes to Berryville and loses. Terrible night for the Hawks. Better be ready to play better Tuesday against Huntsville.

oldtimeeagle

Huntsville lost by 2 at Gravette so the boys remain even.

Nip/Tusk

Pg girls and boys both win against Gentry.

Ole Legend

Tuesday's matchup between Pea Ridge and Huntsville will be for the conference title. Both teams will be looking to bounce back from losses. Pea Ridge beat Huntsville earlier this season by 15 AT Huntsville.

Nip/Tusk

Looks like pea ridge and huntsville will be thankful to be the 1 or the 2.

District tournament could be crazy.

beach bum

Quote from: XTIGER on February 05, 2016, 10:32:19 am
Watched Shiloh against Prairie Grove the other night , they have improved greatly as season has progressed. I look for them to get a win or two in district and make it to regionals , the ex punter seems to have a system and knows what he is doing. As far as PG goes,  what a underachieving mess !!! You have a 6'8 kid who know one in this league can match up with and some talent around him and all you can do is win 2 conference games in a very average to weak conference ?!?!  Very disappointed in the effort and coaching !!!!

Coach Ed is not the problem. He is a man of the utmost character and super X's and O's smart.  Nice try though.....

nuttinbuthogs

Being tall doesn't make you a basketball star, PG is just down this year.

Ole Legend

I think PG has the potential to be a decent team. They just haven't clicked well enough to show it in the win column.

BVCAT

Standings 2 games remaining

Boys:

Pea Ridge               10-2
Huntsville               10-2
Berryville                7-5
Shiloh Christian       6-6
Gravette                 6-6
Gentry                   5-7
Prairie Grove          3-9
Lincoln                   1-11

Girls:
Prairie Grove         12-0
Huntsville             10-2
Berryville              9-3
Gentry                  7-5
Gravette               5-7
Shiloh Christian     3-9
Pea Ridge              2-10
Lincoln                  0-12

Nip/Tusk

Thanks for the standings bv.

District and regional tourney should be a blast.

StepBack3

Do all teams within a conference make the District tournament?

Nip/Tusk

February 09, 2016, 01:59:12 pm #73 Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:01:06 pm by Josh Louin
Yes

The top 2 regular season finishers automatically qualify for regionals. The other 2 spots are up for grabs.

Then the final 4 play the rest of the tourney for seeding at regionals.

I think that's how it's been for several years.

pridgehog

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 09, 2016, 01:59:12 pm
Yes

The top 2 regular season finishers automatically qualify for regionals. The other 2 spots are up for grabs.

Then the final 4 play the rest of the tourney for seeding at regionals.

I think that's how it's been for several years.
JL,
Just for fun, what your prediction on the Pea Ridge VS Huntsville game tonight and what's your prediction for which other two teams join Pea Ridge and Huntsville in Regionals?

Nip/Tusk

I'll take pea ridge over huntsy tonight.

I will make my official predictions for the district after I see the seedings. :)

pridgehog

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 09, 2016, 03:56:18 pm
I'll take pea ridge over huntsy tonight.

I will make my official predictions for the district after I see the seedings. :)
Fair Enough...

StepBack3

PR, Huntsville, BV, Gravette

oldtimeeagle

Final boys score
Huntsville 50
Pea Ridge 42

beach bum

Quote from: oldtimeeagle on February 09, 2016, 08:55:09 pm
Final boys score
Huntsville 50
Pea Ridge 42

What a win and flipping the earlier home loss to the Hawks. Good luck to both teams in the postseason cause you are carrying the 1-4A torch.

Nip/Tusk

Berryville girls upset pg girls.

Pg boys get the win at Berryville.

Maybe starting to find some momentum.

beach bum

Quote from: Josh Louin on February 09, 2016, 09:02:42 pm
Berryville girls upset pg girls.

Pg boys get the win at Berryville.

Maybe starting to find some momentum.

Berryville is not an easy place to come away with a win. That was a big one for the PG boys.

BVCAT

Berryville girls jumped on PG 12-0 tonight to start the game. PG closed it to 2 in the 4th but Berryville held on for the win. PG did not shoot the three ball well but Berryville defended all night.

The PG boys are going to be a tough out on their home floor in the district tourney. They played well tonight. Soehner had a nice game and hit a lot of nice cutters.

Should be a very interesting district tourney.

The Gravette/Gentry game Friday goes a long way in determining the seeds. (Assuming that Gentry beat Lincoln tonight.)

Nip/Tusk

Thanks for the update bv.

Sounds like pg starting to get it together. They haven't been able to score all year but have put up good numbers these last two games.

Pg girls seem to live and die by the 3. They've got so many girls that can hit them so they're usually not all off. #23 is the key IMO. That's a big win for Berryville girls.

I think the 1-4a girls are going to sweep the 4-4a at regionals.

razorsharp94

Congrats to Huntsville on beating Pea Ridge.  What a great win!

beach bum

PG hosts district again? That feels like this year will probably be the fourth time in the last 10 or 11 years and they always do good when they do so.

pridgehog

Quote from: razorsharp94 on February 10, 2016, 08:15:42 am
Congrats to Huntsville on beating Pea Ridge.  What a great win!
It was a very good win for Huntsville. The Pea Ridge kids played timid on their home floor with the Conference on the line. Hats off to Huntsville for coming to our Gym and doing that, I was very disappointed in the effort Pea Ridge gave last night. They will have to do better or they will once again be one and done in Regionals.

Ozark Hog

Stanfford and Berry are both good coaches. The 4-4A match up with the 4-1A will not be pretty, the 4-1A has some good teams with good coaching. The 4-4A conference is down this year specially  the girls teams. The top team is Pottsville who is young starting 3 sophomores and #2 is Ozark who has one of the best players hurt #3 is Clinton ,they have the Hensley girl and not much to go with her. Fourth place is a toss up.
Was at Pottsville and Ozark game last Friday ,  Ozark was down 16 at half time and it wasn't looking good. But they can thank the Pottsville coach for calling the dogs of and letting us rest the whole third quarter, it looked like they were trying to stall the ball the whole quarter, and they kept throwing it away and allowed us to get back in the game. I swear I can not figure that guy out, he had the talent to run Ozark off the floor and did in first half and then comes out of the dressing room and he quits doing what was working, and Ozark almost made that a bad decision.  Have watched Pottsville several times this year and he has pulled this same thing in those games. After game I wished I had thanked him for allowing us to almost pull it out on their home court.

Ozark coach is doing the best with what he has to work with, as the one of  the best players is hurt and not much to bring off the bench, should be a lot better next year.
Clinton has a first year coach with not much talent and no bench.
As for the rest of the coaches in 4-4A they do not have much to work with.
So my thinking is the 4-1A will win the games against 4-4A pretty easy.

Baller91

Quote from: Feral Man on February 10, 2016, 10:57:58 am
Stafford proves once again that he is a legend. I remember when he was at Gentry years ago, that dude can just flat out coach. Pea Ridge has more talent I think but Huntsville has two kids who actually remember what a mid range game is. Pea Ridge refuses to attack the basket and played right in to Huntsvilles game plan. Great win for the ole ball coach!

If only Gentry still had Stafford! He is a legend.

pridgehog

February 10, 2016, 02:38:33 pm #89 Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:40:29 pm by pridgehog
Quote from: Baller91 on February 10, 2016, 02:29:23 pm
Quote from: Feral Man on February 10, 2016, 10:57:58 am
Stafford proves once again that he is a legend. I remember when he was at Gentry years ago, that dude can just flat out coach. Pea Ridge has more talent I think but Huntsville has two kids who actually remember what a mid range game is. Pea Ridge refuses to attack the basket and played right in to Huntsvilles game plan. Great win for the ole ball coach!

If only Gentry still had Stafford! He is a legend.
I agree that he is good, I wasn't around here when he was at Gentry but he can get it done.

always88

Quote from: Feral Man on February 10, 2016, 06:54:50 pm
Great coaches let their kids play, they aren't worried about being seen over on the dang sideline. If I could have advice for coaches it would be to understand that if you have good players, it's ok not to over coach and try to make the game about you. In over 30 years of watching Jim Stafford, I can tell you that he doesn't care if anybody sees him on the bench. He just puts his kids in a position to be successful. He also instils confidence in his kids as well!

Well said!

Ozark Hog

Agree with you 100%, the good coaches have their team prepared when they get to the game, and they do not have to stand on side lines yelling at the players all night. He tries to coach in a way so that they will  have confidence in themselves and teaches them in a constructive way when they make a mistake. I see some who acts like they get some kind of enjoyment when they embarrasses a players in front of the team and the crowd. If they think this will make them a better player they are dead wrong.
I was talking to a Pottsville Fan when Ozark played them last Friday and she was telling me that before the Pottsville verses Star City that the girls coach told his players that it would probably be best if their parent didn't come to the game. I said you have got to be kidding, she no that was what he said.
I thinking how in the world can you instill confidence in your player if you already have a defeated attitude? I know Star City is a good team but how in the heck could you expect your team to believe in themselves if he don't. I am sure he isn't the only one to pull this kind of stunt, but I doubt if it motivated his team!

pridgehog

Quote from: Feral Man on February 10, 2016, 06:54:50 pm
Great coaches let their kids play, they aren't worried about being seen over on the dang sideline. If I could have advice for coaches it would be to understand that if you have good players, it's ok not to over coach and try to make the game about you. In over 30 years of watching Jim Stafford, I can tell you that he doesn't care if anybody sees him on the bench. He just puts his kids in a position to be successful. He also instils confidence in his kids as well!
Not sure where this rant is coming from but I will say this, There are many ways to coach and there is more than one way to skin a cat. At the end of the day, kids still have to execute a game plan. I realize Jim Stafford is a really good coach but I can assure you that Randy Loyd is a Legend in this State too and his son is doing a heck of a job at Pea Ridge...

Obytheway

Nip/Tusk

Updated standings heading into tonight?
Who's locked in to what seed?

BVCAT

Girls:
1) Prairie Grove
2) Huntsville
3) Berryville
4)Gentry
5)Gravette
6)Shiloh/Pea Ridge
7)Shiloh/Pea Ridge
8)Lincoln

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Ozark Hog on February 10, 2016, 09:00:55 pm
Agree with you 100%, the good coaches have their team prepared when they get to the game, and they do not have to stand on side lines yelling at the players all night. He tries to coach in a way so that they will  have confidence in themselves and teaches them in a constructive way when they make a mistake. I see some who acts like they get some kind of enjoyment when they embarrasses a players in front of the team and the crowd. If they think this will make them a better player they are dead wrong.
I was talking to a Pottsville Fan when Ozark played them last Friday and she was telling me that before the Pottsville verses Star City that the girls coach told his players that it would probably be best if their parent didn't come to the game. I said you have got to be kidding, she no that was what he said.
I thinking how in the world can you instill confidence in your player if you already have a defeated attitude? I know Star City is a good team but how in the heck could you expect your team to believe in themselves if he don't. I am sure he isn't the only one to pull this kind of stunt, but I doubt if it motivated his team!

Nice post.  One of two things when you see a coach up yelling all night, he didn't coach his kids and get them ready to play as a smart player, or he thinks he didn't.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas