• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defenseless player rule.

Started by OLDSCHOOL82, July 23, 2014, 04:50:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDSCHOOL82

Does anyone have any specifics on how this rule will be enforced?  I understand the thoughts behind this on special teams and away from the play but I'm curious as to how it will be interpreted.

Gotcha

Differently with each crew of refs, im sure. The rule is neccesary, but still has way too many if/then's.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Gotcha on July 23, 2014, 05:28:45 pm
Differently with each crew of refs, im sure. The rule is neccesary, but still has way too many if/then's.

Thats exactly the part that bothers me.  I hate the way they are slowly taking away from football as we know it.  I give it a few more years and their wont be special teams at all.  Yes peel back blocks are dangerous if you arent paying attention.  Are they only going to enforce this rule if it is away from the play?  What if the defenseless player is about to make a tackle?  It's going to turn in to soccer if we arent careful!

Gotcha

The one that drives me crazy is the defensless reciever over the middle. If its against the rules for the safety to make a hit when the ball arrives then they shouldnt be able to legally throw crossing routes. The nfl says they are protecting people, but i think they are boosting offense for ticket sales.

adaptedtigerfan

By 2017 it will be flag football only....   The way I see it...  If you are afraid to get hit or you are afraid for your kid to get hit then don't play or don't let your kids play....    It's FREAKIN FOOTBALL!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 24, 2014, 12:52:12 pm
By 2017 it will be flag football only....   The way I see it...  If you are afraid to get hit or you are afraid for your kid to get hit then don't play or don't let your kids play....    It's FREAKIN FOOTBALL!!
amen

cuckoobird

Quote from: Gotcha on July 24, 2014, 12:47:55 pm
The one that drives me crazy is the defensless reciever over the middle. If its against the rules for the safety to make a hit when the ball arrives then they shouldnt be able to legally throw crossing routes. The nfl says they are protecting people, but i think they are boosting offense for ticket sales.
+1 if a receiver is defenseless then stop throwing to them

MICHAELSPAPPY

The way the rules are going, the most defenseless thing in a few years will be the defense.

HorseFeathers

might as wel just go to playing two hand touch football. . . .

Hootie

50 Shades of Grey, the defenseless player rule...

cuckoobird

Quote from: Hootie on July 25, 2014, 11:53:30 am
interesting.........

OLDSCHOOL82

This is one thread that i would actually want a real conversation about.  For those that havent researched this change you need to.  It is very vague where it will be used and could really change football.  I cant find a straight answer on how it will be implemented.

Hootie

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 25, 2014, 11:54:08 am
Quote from: Hootie on July 25, 2014, 11:53:30 am
interesting.........

Anything to peak your interest  ;)  :-*

Hootie

Oldschool rules based on judgement calls will always vary by crew, and also be very unclear what/why/how the call was determined. It's a great idea trying to protect the players but when you start implementing vague rules it diminishes the integrity of the game in my opinion.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Hootie on July 25, 2014, 12:16:32 pm
Oldschool rules based on judgement calls will always vary by crew, and also be very unclear what/why/how the call was determined. It's a great idea trying to protect the players but when you start implementing vague rules it diminishes the integrity of the game in my opinion.

I understand completely the rules of the game and all the various calls and situations.  I have not been able to find any specifics on this one.  It seems more vague than most.  I am waiting to hear from some referee buddies of mine on how they are instructed to implement it.

The officials were shown about 25 clips of targeting and hits on defenseless players at the summer meeting.  You are correct in that it will vary by crew because there wasn't agreement on many of the clips that were shown. 

Jimbo Morphis

i can see players flopping like it's world cup soccer.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Oldman on July 25, 2014, 01:28:03 pm

Or WWE.  I saw that in a certain 3A game last year.  I wont call anyone/town out though.

Radiotalker

Quote from: 72113 on July 25, 2014, 01:15:23 pm
The officials were shown about 25 clips of targeting and hits on defenseless players at the summer meeting.  You are correct in that it will vary by crew because there wasn't agreement on many of the clips that were shown.

One of the clips on targeting was by a running back lowering his head to run over a defender.

Quote from: Radiotalker on July 25, 2014, 01:51:13 pm
Quote from: 72113 on July 25, 2014, 01:15:23 pm

One of the clips on targeting was by a running back lowering his head to run over a defender.

Exactly.  I'm afraid you will see a lot of inconsistent calls this season. 

Hootie

What's next? Rules against flopping?? Geez this isn't NBA.. It's a full contact sport.

HorseFeathers

So. . . . Basically this rule could be applied to just about every exciting block on kick off returns.  . . .which is why most of those underclassmen are excited about getting to be on the kickoff and return teams. . .

OLDSCHOOL82

This rule applies everywhere.  Basically,  hit them hard, but not to hard, and say your sorry or they will flag you and possibly eject you!

HorseFeathers

So if you can hear the crack of the hit in the stands that will be a fifteen yard penalty for forgetting your playing touch football?  Sounds like that here soon playground football will be rougher than organized football . . .

adaptedtigerfan

I spoke to an official about it today.  He said "it's going to have to be flat out intentional for it to get called.....    He also told me that there is a new rule to protect the qb's......   

Gotcha

Best example. Look up the baylor hit by a corner. He was ejected, but after review his ejection was overturned. It was shoulder to shoulder, but since the reciever was hurt the 15 yard penalty stuck. Smh

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Oldman on July 25, 2014, 01:28:03 pm

They are trying to completely get rid of the "flop" on the NBA.

Radiotalker

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 25, 2014, 05:12:07 pm
I spoke to an official about it today.  He said "it's going to have to be flat out intentional for it to get called.....    He also told me that there is a new rule to protect the qb's......   

Aren't all the hits intentional

Proud Buckaroo

A blind sided block is with the intent to actually hurt someone. Especially away from the play.

Gotcha

Maybe they should make holding legal, and instead of hitting them in the blind side you could run up and hug them. That sounds safe, and sweet ::)

adaptedtigerfan

Radiotalker are you that moronic?

Hootie

Quote from: adaptedtigerfan on July 26, 2014, 04:05:50 pm
Radiotalker are you that moronic?

Look he wins the pick'ems all the time. He cheats too just like you guys..

OLDSCHOOL82

Yea, the targeting rule is in full force this year on the QB.  Better go below the shoulder pads and make sure its not late with no part of the helmet involved!  They will also flag you if you dont help the QB up off the ground and give him a shot of gatorade.  I would say the day of big hits on a qb in the pocket are over.

Jack1990

So how long until the QB starts wearing the red jersey in games and flags on his waist??

HorseFeathers

would have to think that a big hit for a sack would be legit unless he led with his helmet. But hasn't leading with the helmet been illegal for a while now?

Gotcha

Quote from: HF on July 28, 2014, 10:55:37 am
would have to think that a big hit for a sack would be legit unless he led with his helmet. But hasn't leading with the helmet been illegal for a while now?
In the past it was frowned upon. Like m**********n on an airplane. Lol

OLDSCHOOL82

Yes.  Spearing has been out for a long time.  Last year they called some helmet to helmet but this year goes to another level.

Jimbo Morphis

if you watch much college or nfl you'll see a perfect shoulder to shoulder tackle is called leading with the head. can you imagine what some friday night crews can do with it?

Jacketman65

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 28, 2014, 09:22:17 am

Yea, the targeting rule is in full force this year on the QB.  Better go below the shoulder pads and make sure its not late with no part of the helmet involved!  They will also flag you if you dont help the QB up off the ground and give him a shot of gatorade.  I would say the day of big hits on a qb in the pocket are over.
Got to agree with you there. What will they do when D players begin breaking the QB's ribs?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas